Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Classic Charm Make for an MMO Worth Playing? - Shroud of the Avatar Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    "Classic Charm" is way overrated for me. But nice for those that long for the old days I suppose :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited May 2018
    Most of these 'issues' have been brought up over and over through the months and even years.  Everyone was ignored.  Now it's "ohh we are addressing those issues"  Don't think so.

I get it, we must still be in those last 20% of finished game.  Nevermind it's a launched product.
    JamesGoblin
  • ridiculous1ridiculous1 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    qtaq said:
    I would rather play LOTR 
    As if someone wouldn't want to play LotRO more than many other games. It's one of the best tab-target MMOs of that era. :tongue:

Actually,  I'd probably rather play SotA.

LOTRO was the very first game I quit because I felt like I was playing WOW all over again, a pattern which would repeat itself for many more games to come.

As much as I can't disagree with that Lotro is a take on WoW. WoW was a take on EQ, so the same could be said there. 

Furthermore the Mordor Expansion is one of the best expansions I've ever played and I had completely written off Lotro. 
  • ridiculous1ridiculous1 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Azmodeus said:
    Very well said.  This game is definitely a marathon, and people who play it like a sprint will find it terrible.  The game is NOT for game hoppers, but for people who plan on investing in it longterm. Call me crazy but I think it will turn into the fantasy version of Eve Online.  Some of us are just sick of the WoW clones being pumped out daily with themepark gameplay.  
    As someone whom has played both Eve and Sota since alpha/beta, I can't really agree with that statement at all. Is there a possibility to one day become that? maybe... but Eve is a true sandbox in comparison to Sota and the depth isn't really comparable. 

Eve gated a timesink with skill training where Sota gates timesinks with straight up grinding for XP/Mats. I'd take about Risk/Reward but there's no point, there completely different. 

Chronicles of Spellborn also did the deck combat, if you've also played that game, like I have.

People can talk about WoW clones but in reality even SP, FPS, RTS, RPG's most games are clones in any genre. The few not so many games that have original idea's tend to do very well. Sota in the end doesn't really break any new barriers, which is what people like me that kickstarted the game were hoping for.
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I said I THINK it will become the fantasy version, so we both agree that it COULD happen.  :)

If Chronicles of Spellborn has Deck along WITH combos, AND charging AND stacking of abilities then I will stand corrected.  
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Azmodeus said:
    I said I THINK it will become the fantasy version, so we both agree that it COULD happen.  :)

If Chronicles of Spellborn has Deck along WITH combos, AND charging AND stacking of abilities then I will stand corrected.  
    i played Spellborn ALOT each time it was up ,, Great game that was ahead of its time , real shame it doesnt get picked up and given another chance , It may have more success now than it did before , I dont think people were ready for it..

That being said .. its closer to SOTA than anything else was .. But still a very different feel .. Same but different .. I did enjoy it tho

[Deleted User]
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited May 2018
    Darkstarr9 said:
    We actually agree with many of your negative points and are working to address them.

Glad to see you say that, only your former backers had been telling you many of these same things for years, but you decided to ignore and/or silence them from your forums and call them trolls for pointing these things out. Glad to see a reviewer tell you what the backers have been trying to tell you for years about this games problems, thankfully you didn't try to lump this reviewer into the conspiracy theory you created and call him a hater too for just being what the rest of the world would call disappointed CUSTOMERS voicing opinions. Sure some of the negative feedback over the years weren't as polite as the reviewer here, but the feedback was about these many, many same issues.

Many of these issues that you bring up have been brought up by  backers for a long time now Gareth and instead of fixing these problems the feedback was ignored, silenced, and even a conspiracy theory made up to make excuses for the poor numbers they see of people playing this game and of this games issues to dismiss backers negative feedback and disappointment as some sort of group with superpowers that have the magical ability to make people not want to play this game just by voicing opinions. Yes, that sounds ridiculous and bizarre I know, but they honestly love that conspiracy of some boogeyman out to get them instead of facing reality, which is this game is just very niche and hasn't been well received by gamers. Some of the issues you bring up Gareth were even made fun of in this video years ago back in 2014.

Post edited by Ice-Queen on
    DakeruEarthgirlVladamirBegemot[Deleted User]LeFantome

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99
    This game, for me, so far has involved a lot of running around aimlessly looking for some NPC. Hard to level skills when you can't even find the NPCs for the quests, and the guards in towns are useless for helping.

I really like the way the leveling works, and I could get used to the skill deck (although I don't love it). Not a big fan of having to fight my way out of a besieged town by myself (as a noob), only to find that the Ankh I was looking for to respawn after I got killed by a besieger is right next to the exit I was looking for. Thanks for killing me, I guess?

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• EarthgirlEarthgirl Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Simply put, the most unsatisfying game I have ever played.  

Player to Player RMT is the top concern and main catered to audience, the average player experience is insufficient and boring, never giving the player a real sense of accomplishment with the never ending grind for nearly unattainable goals or those that will take years to reach.

Very poor decisions were made during development, which I doubt they will be able to reverse, this has caused much friction between the community, and ends with the original RPG backers slowly being punted out.  

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    On the note of grind, I took a 3 day old character and pulled aggro from a high level I was playing with on day 3 of the double XP event. As in, my damage was heavy enough compared to theirs that they started taking notices of me.

Heavy grind doesn't always mean the same thing.

In SOTA's case it means a relatively low power gap compared to most MMOs, but there is literally no cap. It just gets exponentially harder to progress as you go.

I wouldn't call this an ideal system, but I will absolutely say their leveling system is one of the most enjoyable I've seen in any MMO.

The character customization is also quite deep and rich. You have your skillbar 1-12 and you either straight slot skills onto it or "unlock" them to open up the deck system in those slots. You can also set it up so you can swap combat trays to bring up a new 1-12 tray complete with a weapon switch. So having access to abilities in combat is a major limiting factor in customization but those options leave so much potential for so many builds.

One of her pros is one of my biggest cons though. The questing is straight boring IMO.

Something she left out entirely from her pro-con list is crafting. The crafting system is pretty deep compared to most MMO. Different materials give items different properties. And different components can be made of different materials.

For instance with heavy armor there is plates(metal), bindings(metal), and straps(cloth or leather). Changing the materials changes the properties and appearance of the items. For instance bronze gives a balance between weapon damage and damage reduction while meteoric iron gives heavy damage reduction and obsidian gives damage reflection. So the same item with different materials is a very different item.

There is also RNG based enchantment and masterworking where you can increase the strength of an item but it's a bit RNG what will happen. I'm not a big fan of RNG systems but it does kind of make the "perfect" item a pie in the sky idea that keeps crafters always striving to make something better.

Overall 6.5 doesn't seem like a bad rating. I might go slightly higher but for different reasons.

Overpriced housing also isn't a big deal to me. Owning a house isn't a requirement to enjoy the game.

[Deleted User]VladamirBegemot
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    After Darkstarr posted that he agrees with most of points in this review a thread started in the official forums.  I'm sure the thread will be deleted soon because everyone is fighting now and anyone that thinks the game isn't doing well is being attacked.  Maybe even Darkstarr can't say that he thinks the game is in poor condition in his own forums or he might get banned.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/darkstarrs-comment-on-mmorpg-my-opinion.124618/

One defender even believes that episode 2 will fix all the player population problems because by then the game should have mounts.  This is crazy.  The game doesn't have mounts in episode 1 but if they can get that to work in episode 2, the population problems should resolve?  I think the best thing about this game is that it's called "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" because that is exactly what this game is.

LeFantome
    I'm just in continual amazement that there are people like you who will bounce back between this site and a game's official site just to bash the game. It failed to live up to your expectations, not murdered your family. Find something you DO enjoy and move on with your life.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2018
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    qtaq said:
    I would rather play LOTR 
    As if someone wouldn't want to play LotRO more than many other games. It's one of the best tab-target MMOs of that era. :tongue:

Actually,  I'd probably rather play SotA.

LOTRO was the very first game I quit because I felt like I was playing WOW all over again, a pattern which would repeat itself for many more games to come.

Those two games play almost nothing alike. That would be akin to likening EVE and Ryzom to each other because they have "skills".

What exactly about playing Shroud would be better than playing WoW or LotRO. What does Shroud do better that WoW doesn't?
    Back at the first 3 months of LOTRO's launch there were far more similarities with WOW than differences and I was just done with quest based theme parks with gear focused progression systems.

No clue how either game plays today.

Advantages over WOW, well, its "new" and the best game is almost always the one you haven't played yet.  ;)

Feature wise, (from what I've read) a skill based system which I've really never played outside of EVE and its auto training model.

Housing that exists in the game world, mostly so there can be a guild hall, not because I personally enjoy housing.

Combat that I don't think has been described as "action" oriented, though I don't really understand how it actually does work.

It's not "popular," anf you know me, I have to eschew most everything beloved by the "masses" because....I'm just hipster like that I guess.  (TragicallyHip) was actually a character name I once played under.

;)

While I have no clue these days what sort of game I would enjoy, I still am crystal clear on what I don't like, which most themeparks fall into.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    After Darkstarr posted that he agrees with most of points in this review a thread started in the official forums.  I'm sure the thread will be deleted soon because everyone is fighting now and anyone that thinks the game isn't doing well is being attacked.  Maybe even Darkstarr can't say that he thinks the game is in poor condition in his own forums or he might get banned.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/darkstarrs-comment-on-mmorpg-my-opinion.124618/

One defender even believes that episode 2 will fix all the player population problems because by then the game should have mounts.  This is crazy.  The game doesn't have mounts in episode 1 but if they can get that to work in episode 2, the population problems should resolve?  I think the best thing about this game is that it's called "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" because that is exactly what this game is.

The post has been locked.. What a surprise , huh.

Torval said:

What exactly about playing Shroud would be better than playing WoW or LotRO. What does Shroud do better that WoW doesn't?
    Crafting and customization are the two key ones for me. I don't think SOTA is perfect, far from, but I very much love it's character creation system.

In a traditional themepark like WoW or LOTRO you get a class, that class comes with skills at certain levels that are modified or sometimes augmented with new skills you get from skill trees.

SOTA expands upon systems like GW1 that I heavily prefer. You have to choose to take skills. You have to choose to put them on your bar. You're never like. "Man I love this class but ____ is useless and _____ is underpowered" because if you don't like those skills you don't take them. You're never forced learning to implement a subpar skill into your build to be fully effective.

And the potential builds are nearly limitless. So many different directions you can take your character in SOTA. You want to have a build where you switch between dual wielding and archery? Great build options that do that. Want a pet in there? Sacrifice some max focus and you can have that too. Don't want a pet? Cool you get to keep your focus. Or you can feed that focus into a moon magic ability that gives you magic resistance. Want to have flaming weapons that do additional fire damage? Cool, work up your fire magic and get ignite weapon. Want stealth? Focus on moon magic and subterfuge.

Want a really broad build that does a ton of things? Just takes time.

Want to be really good at a few things? There is no level cap so just focus on the things you care about.

So many different directions. So many things you can do. It's customization puts vanilla WoW to shame, much less the trash we have currently.
    Scorchien
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

nynniva said:

While I may have to dodge some thrown rotten fruit from this audience, I have to speak up for Shroud a bit. Sure, its not the shiny shiny graphics of some of the newer stuff, and there's grind issues, and whatever....but honestly, even in its current state, there is far more content and potential time investment than any other MMO I've played in the last decade. In most games, you max out and move on in a few months. I'm over 6000 hours /played in Shroud and still find things to do and reasons to log in every day without it feeling boring or repetitive or same-y. Its the type of game that's a marathon, not a sprint, something you can play for years rather than consuming all the content in a few weeks and then having "pvp" as the tacked-on endgame.

All you folks who wanted a PvE sandbox? This is very nearly it. While there's PvP, its not mandatory and (almost) completely avoidable save a few scenes you don't really need to go to. You can go anywhere you want. Level any skills you want. No limits no caps, just diminishing returns the higher you go. I can't think of any other game that offers that that isn't ffa pvp garbage or at least 10 yrs old

During kickstarter and after developers talked about a slider you could move from PvE only to hardcore PvP only.

That way all would be happy since all could play the game as they themself wanted. That was one major reason i pledged.

But the PvE people were not happy with such a sollution and demanded a one server for all.

Developers scratched the slider and came up with what they called a middle ground for these different interests. PvP became something no old hardcore (felucca) UO PvP player could accept and they all left the game.

Again they were lied to and developers took the PvE players side.

That is the truth about SotA PvP promises and what it later became.
  • mercstermercster Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Can anyone suggest a game like this, but is not weak? Thanks.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    OG_Zorvan said:
    From Portalrium's latest SEC filings.

"The Company currently requires approximately $300,000 a month to sustain operations. Liquidity and Capital Resources As of April 17, 2018, the Company has approximately $394,073 in cash on hand."

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=portalarium&match=&CIK=&filenum=&State=&Country=&SIC=&owner=exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany

Bye-Bye SotA.
    Oh dear that does not bode well. More blood vials to sell perhaps.
    DakeruLeFantome

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    OG_Zorvan said:

"The Company currently requires approximately $300,000 a month to sustain operations. Liquidity and Capital Resources As of April 17, 2018, the Company has approximately $394,073 in cash on hand."

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=portalarium&match=&CIK=&filenum=&State=&Country=&SIC=&owner=exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany

Bye-Bye SotA.
    That filing also claims SotA is the 2nd largest crowdfunded MMORPG in history.....  That doesn't seem remotely true.

EDIT- by the way, notice how they're required to include items about facets of their company and project that warns potential investors of the dangers of putting money into the company?  THAT'S the sort of thing kickstarter should require for these projects, front and center on every project.  It's silly to think otherwise.
    LeFantomeKyleranjimmywolf[Deleted User]

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    OG_Zorvan said:

Bye-Bye SotA.

If only that was the case.
    The whales are always going to be there, ready to throw their money.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2018
    kitarad said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Bye-Bye SotA.
    Oh dear that does not bode well. More blood vials to sell perhaps.
    I read through the entire report,  $1M cash on hand at the end of 2017, $14M+ in short term debt, no guarantees of success on any part of their plan, massive risks everywhere. (Well at least something is massive about this game)

Forget the blood, they are going to have to start selling extra kidneys to pull this miracle off.

;)

An interesting milestone comes in Oct 2018 when their 3 year lease expires on their office space. Will they sign again, move to a new one, or go all virtual?

It's actually a small amount of money amongst other expenses but it could be a predictor.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Gareth, thank you very much for your very detailed and honest review. While we feel we have delivered far more than might be expected on such a modest budget, we know players can only judge if a game meets their desires as a player or not. We actually agree with many of your negative points and are working to address them. In the specific area of quests we are fixing bugs with the current quest task system each release but we realize that long term we need to replace the entire underlying architecture. However, as you might imagine that will be a longer term effort. We feel that much of the disconnect you describe in combat is related to the sound effects, especially with blades. We are focusing on polishing sound effects for those weapons in the next release. We continue to run double XP events each release to reduce the feel that players need to grind and are considering making this the new standard XP earn rate. We also agree that our current UI needs some love and we will be doing a major visual overhaul on the look in Release 55 (June). We believe that while we are feature rich and have many amazing systems, many aspects remain diamonds in the rough and we need to focus on smoothing out those rough edges. We release a patch every month and we hope you will give us a try later this summer when some of these issues have been improved! - Sincerely, Starr Long (Executive Producer)

Maybe it's time to cleanup that rotten garden you guys made of your forums?

Lord Darkmoon posted about your comments and how he had brought many of these things up before.  You know what?  So did I!  Quick get your mods to delete the evidence as you normally do.

Look at how bad your loyal(paying) monsters on your forums treated lord darkmoon.  You should be really proud of the monsters you brought together their.  A great community indeed.

Everything that is going wrong for you guys right now is on your shoulders.
    Aragon100
  • DjDriVerDjDriVer Member UncommonPosts: 12
    well done, Gareth. That review was pretty much spot on, from my perspective anyways. I played the Free Trial, and after 3 days, I began to lose interest,for a couple of reasons. One, the clunky combat system didn't seem to hit it off with me. Secondly, the towns seemed to be a string of instances linked together. It didn't seem that they had any unity,or any resemblance of being part of a larger WORLD. Lastly, the UI seemed bland and more cosmetic than anything. That's not to say there isn't hope for the game, but in my opinion,it seemed to me to feel very similar to a single player game rather than an MMO. After a few days, it was difficult for SofA to keep my interest.
    One the brightest features of SOTA is it's community. If you come there as an actual player of the game and ask questions they are highly helpful and almost always friendly.

If you come there like Lord Darkmoon AKA Blorpykins who's made at least a dozen threads bashing SOTA for generally fairly petty crap here on mmorpg.com and apparently does so over there as well, expect to have your own toxicity turned around on you.

You can expect that from any community of any game. Or any community in general really. 
    Kyleranblorpykins