Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - The Allure of Elder Scrolls Online’s Never Ending Journey - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Hariken said:

Zeppel80 said:

I've been playing ESO on and off since I played in beta. I guess I feel that eventually one realizes that it's all just more of the same. No matter what zone you're in, it's basically the same enemies with basically the same AI. Sure, there are special attacks some have, but, when I walked into Clockwork City for the first time recently, I knew exactly what would happen and how it would play out.

I'm a melee player at heart, but in ESO only the magic builds have any real variety. Stamina builds are all dual wield and bow and the rotation varies little from class to class. Yes, DK or Warden have different abilities, but they're just different curtains in the same room. Maybe the upcoming changes will make 2H weapons viable, but it's still much less variety than a magic build. I'd love to be able to have the option of a dual wield/2H build or to have the build variety something like Grim Dawn has; totally impractical, I know.

This along with the boring combat as been my issue. For an elderscrolls game you are locked in either stamina or magic build. I wish you could have more freedom with builds in the game.
    It's odd considering the tremendous flexibility the single player games within the franchise offer.
  • CapodecinaCapodecina Member UncommonPosts: 30
    If you like the first 10 hours of mmorpgs ESO is a great game for you. It’s a early game questing loop. The combat system is awful. The class system is awful (magick or die). It’s a great game for casual play with non stop questing
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    @Sovrath

Just curious... what class / build finally clicked for you?

And to those saying that stamina builds are all about DW/Bow, if you're a veteran hard-mode raider, I get you... I understand. But if you're not, all I can say is WTF?

I have a bow/bow warden that works great in vet dungeons and a 2HD/bow sorc that does as well. And that's just for PVE. If you PVP at all you'd know there are umpteen different builds that work well if you know how to work them... even Pelinal hybrids that use both 2HD and a staff and a mix of of magicka and stamina abilities.

This whole thing of you must be DW/bow for melee is HM trials min/max thinking with people who never play those believing it applies to them too... it doesn't.

And @BillMurphy

Me too, bud. I may leave it for a month or two now and then when something else grabs me but this has been home for me for 4 years and counting.
    Yeah....the game totally doesn't pigeonhole you at multiple levels....let's look shall we?
    -Create a character 
    -Pick a race (minor bonuses, not a bad thing imo but it is there)
    -Pick a class.  Here again, skills are VERY biased towards build types and roles
    Templars= Obvious healers
    Dragon Knights= Obvious tanks
    Nightblade= Obvious Stamina DPS
    Sorcerer= Obvious Magicka DPS
    -So let's say I pick Sorcerer not reall knowing any better.
    -I start using my stat points, have to max out either stamina or magicka due to shitty damage scaling
    -I take a liking to 2H weapons for DPS
    -2H weapons are shit for DPS, Most of my sorc skills are magicka based, my weapon is totally stamina based
    -So I can't choose how to spend my stat points, I can't choose which weapon I want to use, and if I wanted to tank for instance my class is shit at it.

For "freedom" that is all very restrictive.
    In any game community there are always people like you who create their own misery.

Even the top raid-focused min/max streamers don't live in the stifling little pigeon holes you choose to put yourself into - they have several different builds for all classes that work just fine.

You kind of remind me of this guy:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105

eddieg50 said:

Yea level scaling has taken the challenge away, shame really

Same. Came back once, found worldwide level scaling and quit. There is nothing as immersion breaking as a cheap nerf to make content last. What is the point in levelling when everything levels with you. There seems no progression in the game until the eventual end level gear grind. ESO had turned into a turgid boring, cookie cutter. It only relies on the elder scrolls name otherwise it would have been buried by now.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    @Sovrath

And to those saying that stamina builds are all about DW/Bow, if you're a veteran hard-mode raider, I get you... I understand. But if you're not, all I can say is WTF?

I have a bow/bow warden that works great in vet dungeons and a 2HD/bow sorc that does as well. And that's just for PVE. If you PVP at all you'd know there are umpteen different builds that work well if you know how to work them... even Pelinal hybrids that use both 2HD and a staff and a mix of of magicka and stamina abilities.

This whole thing of you must be DW/bow for melee is HM trials min/max thinking with people who never play those believing it applies to them too... it doesn't.

And @BillMurphy

Me too, bud. I may leave it for a month or two now and then when something else grabs me but this has been home for me for 4 years and counting.
    Yeah....the game totally doesn't pigeonhole you at multiple levels....let's look shall we?
    -Create a character 
    -Pick a class.  Here again, skills are VERY biased towards build types and roles
    -I start using my stat points, have to max out either stamina or magicka due to shitty damage scaling
    -2H weapons are shit for DPS, Most of my sorc skills are magicka based, my weapon is totally stamina based
    -So I can't choose how to spend my stat points, I can't choose which weapon I want to use, and if I wanted to tank for instance my class is shit at it.

In any game community there are always people like you who create their own misery.

Even the top raid-focused min/max streamers don't live in the stifling little pigeon holes you choose to put yourself into - they have several different builds for all classes that work just fine.

Facts are facts.  Weapons being relegated to buffs like 2H is an obvious sign of poor design.
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    @Sovrath

And @BillMurphy

-Create a character 

Facts are facts.  Weapons being relegated to buffs like 2H is an obvious sign of poor design.
    Facts are indeed facts. As @Iselin says you are mistaken. What you are suggesting is akin to - a child's future say being totally determined by the name they are given. In reality decades of life allows for development. In ESO 50 levels, a plethora of additional skills - many that mimic class skills -  and over 700 champion points later adds a whole lot of diversity and allow you to develop beyond your initial choice. 
    [Deleted User]
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I love the game, but hate the combat, specifically the animation canceling.  If you are interested in Stamina DPS and not a Warden, you are going Bow backbar and DW in front bar with the same abilities.  
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2018
    shassell said:

eddieg50 said:

Same. Came back once, found worldwide level scaling and quit. There is nothing as immersion breaking as a cheap nerf to make content last. What is the point in levelling when everything levels with you. There seems no progression in the game until the eventual end level gear grind. ESO had turned into a turgid boring, cookie cutter. It only relies on the elder scrolls name otherwise it would have been buried by now.
    Wrong. The game does not have worldwide level scaling. What it has is character boosting to cp160. Why this matters is that with the current cp cap it means that if you play to end game there is no scaling/boosting at all for c.75-80% of your time. You only get boosted until you can use cp160 gear etc.

However whilst characters are boosted they are still not as powerful as cp160 characters - fewer  skills, the gear etc. It is enough to make them "non-squishy" however. So they don't die when breathed on. Park your character amongst mobs and go for a drink though and you will die! There are no "grey" mobs.

However not all situations and not all mobs are equal. There are boss mobs, swarms of mobs, arch-villains, vet dungeons and more. Challenge remains. 

Post cp160 characters progress - yes there is progression! What this means is that things get easier.

Summary:

To suggest that there is no challenge because of scaling is false. 
    To suggest that there is no progression is false.
    If you were to suggest that progression reduces (but does not eliminate) the challenge - this is true!
    And if you were to suggest that Z should think of introducing a 3rd level of dungeon difficulty this would probably get support from players with higher level characters.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    [Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    @Sovrath

And @BillMurphy

-Create a character 

Facts are indeed facts. As @Iselin says you are mistaken. What you are suggesting is akin to - a child's future say being totally determined by the name they are given. In reality decades of life allows for development. In ESO 50 levels, a plethora of additional skills - many that mimic class skills -  and over 700 champion points later adds a whole lot of diversity and allow you to develop beyond your initial choice. 
    I like how you try to bring up bright spots instead of actually responding to even a single point of criticism.

I LOVE the champion system, hell I love nearly everything about ESO.  I'm just not buying the whole "freedom" thing when there are umpteen restrictions.  You're no more free in ESO than you are in WoW.  Actually....there are more viable builds in WoW, so you are less free.
    [Deleted User]
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I'm not sure if I understand this right, but some of these "lack of freedom" complaints sound comparable to people getting an F-22 and complaining because they can't add a bunch of armor and tracks and use it for a tank.  I can see wanting to expand a role some and have some options, but how far do you take it? I can see making a scrapper that can tank in a pinch, or giving magic users some melee skills for defense, but what's the point of having classes if you can take any one and make it into something completely different? Rather, a game with classes should be designed to encourage teaming up in a way that makes each class appreciated for its own contribution. 
    Iselin
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I started playing ESO last december and liked it a lot. After few months grew bored of it and stopped. Then this week I started thinking about it. Why did I play it? Graphic look uninspiring, combat not engaging so I decited to patch it and give it 1 evening. Suddenly I'm loving it once again. Graphics feel gorgeous, combat far more interesting. I actually like limited skill bar (creating and testing dkills feels like Guild Wars 1 which I absolutely adored). I don't bother with animation canceling and creating the best build. I doubt I will ever do any raid in the game but simply doing quests is very fun for me.
  • shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    gervaise1 said:
    shassell said:

eddieg50 said:

Wrong. The game does not have worldwide level scaling. What it has is character boosting to cp160. Why this matters is that with the current cp cap it means that if you play to end game there is no scaling/boosting at all for c.75-80% of your time. You only get boosted until you can use cp160 gear etc.

However whilst characters are boosted they are still not as powerful as cp160 characters - fewer  skills, the gear etc. It is enough to make them "non-squishy" however. So they don't die when breathed on. Park your character amongst mobs and go for a drink though and you will die! There are no "grey" mobs.

However not all situations and not all mobs are equal. There are boss mobs, swarms of mobs, arch-villains, vet dungeons and more. Challenge remains. 

Post cp160 characters progress - yes there is progression! What this means is that things get easier.

Summary:

If you were to suggest that progression reduces (but does not eliminate) the challenge - this is true!
    And if you were to suggest that Z should think of introducing a 3rd level of dungeon difficulty this would probably get support from players with higher level characters.
    Yawn. Your post summary is just a fanbois opinion. The only thing that is false is your silly statements trying to justify what is... just your opinion.
    IselinSlyLoK
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    shassell said:
    gervaise1 said:
    shassell said:

eddieg50 said:

Summary:

Yawn. Your post summary is just a fanbois opinion. The only thing that is false is your silly statements trying to justify what is... just your opinion.
    As opposed to your facts? Lol.
    SlyLoK
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED