Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More active steam players atm than TERA, NWO or ESO <3

1235»

Comments

• DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    I love WS but it's circling the drain, has been for a while now. 

They tried to give it them mythic+ treatment recently and just introduced even more power creep.

If they were serious about trying to make a comeback they would release a full-blown expansion as one last hurrah and hope for the best. 

As it is stands today they are trying to get whatever money they can out of keeping the servers alive with as minimal input as possible.  Pappy's letter at the end of last year literally said "Nothing new is coming in 2018"
    You have to understand, the fact that the game is still running is amazing. The fact that NCsoft hasn't pulled the plug on it is a miracle, as EVERY single MMORPG that has been published by them that wasn't developed by them that is doing even mildly good seems to get shut down instantly. They have some weird soft spot for Wildstar. 

I feel really bad for Carbine, they have tried again and again to bring people into the game. I would love to go back, but the amount of time everything takes, makes me nervous as I don't want to play a lot and then have the game get shut down. 
    100% Agree with ya there. I actually enjoyed Wildstar, but feel like one morning imma wake up to news of its demise. 
  • virgommovirgommo Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I love still hearing the crazy conspiracy theories about CoH, SWG etc, they are still entertaining to this day.

To those in the "it was making money, no reason to close it down". The one thing that is never talked about is the RUNNING cost.  Now these are not representative numbers of CoH at the time, but used as an example. This is a business after all. If something is making say 3 million a month, but it takes 10 million a month to run, so that's a total income of 13 million. However, it STILL has an operational cost of 10 million. 

As a business, they felt that NEW projects could use that 10 million and produce MORE profit. From that view, sucks for the fans but good for the company. There is no crazed conspiracy, just business and money....same as it's always been. In the end, it's all bout coin.
    IceAge
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Daakkon said:
    It's still a good game and deserves to stay active. I for one am sick of fantasy. :/
    Being sick of Fantasy is fine,you are allowed that opinion/decision but that in now way whatsoever is a reflection of another game's quality or lack of.
    Point being that just because you don't like Fantasy does not make Wildstar a good game.
    Games from Wow onwards all look like assembly line games,a lot of automation very little hands on effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    kitarad said:
    Xiaoki said:
    IceAge said:

Secondly , City of Heroes was going down in revenues. IF, at the moment of closing, say .. it would of "produced" some .. 1 mil a year , but the trend was down  , it was a smart move to close it in terms of business. YES! Games are a .. business first, because if is not a successfully business, then - see COH for exemple. 

Third, they closed down the whole studio, along with COH, meaning the studio was no longer profitable.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

CoH was closed down because NCsoft had GW2 launching in NA, Blade and Soul launching in SK and Wildstar in development. NCsoft didnt want too many active MMOs at one time, especially in NA, so they closed down their lowest performer to make room for the new one. Thats it.

At the time of its closure CoH was making a steady ~$3 million a quarter. So, it was profitable and it was not on a downward trend.

Stop making up numbers and stop outright lying.
    Yes I agree it was making money I too recall seeing the profit figures in the threads at that time. No way is it true to say it was not profitable.
    But remember just because something is profitable doesn't mean it's "profitable enough".

Publicly traded companies rely upon their financial projections. If they can't make what they think they are going to make they are going to make changes.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I really enjoyed my time with Wildstar.. it's a fun mmo and it's dungeons are awesome!
    It deserves to stick around imo.

..Cake..

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Wizardry said:
    Daakkon said:
    It's still a good game and deserves to stay active. I for one am sick of fantasy. :/
    Being sick of Fantasy is fine,you are allowed that opinion/decision but that in now way whatsoever is a reflection of another game's quality or lack of.
    Point being that just because you don't like Fantasy does not make Wildstar a good game.
    Games from Wow onwards all look like assembly line games,a lot of automation very little hands on effort.
    I'm trying to figure out if you quoted the wrong person or something. Nothing he said implied any of what you went on a tangent to explain. He opened his comment saying it's still a good game and deserves to stay active.

Seriously what was the point of your comment?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Xiaoki said:
    IceAge said:

Secondly , City of Heroes was going down in revenues. IF, at the moment of closing, say .. it would of "produced" some .. 1 mil a year , but the trend was down  , it was a smart move to close it in terms of business. YES! Games are a .. business first, because if is not a successfully business, then - see COH for exemple. 

Third, they closed down the whole studio, along with COH, meaning the studio was no longer profitable.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

CoH was closed down because NCsoft had GW2 launching in NA, Blade and Soul launching in SK and Wildstar in development. NCsoft didnt want too many active MMOs at one time, especially in NA, so they closed down their lowest performer to make room for the new one. Thats it.

At the time of its closure CoH was making a steady ~$3 million a quarter. So, it was profitable and it was not on a downward trend.

Stop making up numbers and stop outright lying.
    That is yet again, a conspiracy theory ( but but , was closed down because NCsoft had GW2 launching in NA, Blade and Soul launching in SK and Wildstar in development. NCsoft didnt want too many active MMOs at one time, especially in NA, so they closed down their lowest performer to make room for the new one. Thats it.

No, thats NOT it. On what exactly are you basing , when you make such claims ? How did you managed to get to the point to say that they closed CoH to make room for other titles? I mean really ? Why not keep CoH too if it was profitable? I am sure there was/is plenty of "room" for games in a company portfolio IF is profitable. 

I am saying it again, is VERY good you guys do not run any company. How do I know ? Simple , ANY business man would never act like you guys act. Ok? Ok ..

Now back to your conspiracy theories articles and .. videos and..stuff!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Nilden said:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

From a peak of 5k down to less than 363... I wonder how they are keeping the lights on?

For reference Marvel Heroes pulled in around double than that at 733 when it went down and the company died.

http://steamcharts.com/app/226320

City of Heroes was MAKING money, and it went down. It wasn't losing money, but making money every month. NCsoft instead shut it down, leaving the developers and owner of the company blindsided.  

I think there is internal corruption inside NCsoft.

That or/and NCsoft is racist and hates westerners. Cause why else would they keep sabotaging their own games? Except for Guild Wars since GW makes them a ton of money. If it was making money, but a lot less, they'd treat it the same. But all their western games except for GW they treat like crap. They even tried to sabotage Richard Garriot, cause they must hate westerners and were then found guilty by the court of law making them guilty no matter what one thinks. 

Even SOE never does or did anything that shitty lol.

For Wildstar. its supposedly a pet project by NCsoft CEO. Probably why it survives. Cause CoH was far more successful and NCsoft still shut it down.
    COH was a dead game, if you think it was making money hand over first.... you are beyond wrong. Im not trying to stick up for NCsoft at all, they are scumbags just like any other publisher. But things like Lord British is completely wrong too. Garriot is a sleazy scumbag himself, and him his brother (who at the time was a NcSoft board member)... and Starr Long took NcSoft for a ride with Tabula Rasa. Wasting many resources to build a game... then completely scrap the idea.... then make the finalized Tabula Rasa, and have it be a completely utter failure. 

Of course NcSoft wanted that guy gone, they got screwed. Didn't help Garriot was totally absent from the game after launch, the game was dead in the water by the time you got half way through it. Cause their was actually NO content to do.  Then guy went to bank earning millions plus actual outer space... and whats he doing now???????? Taking people for another ride with Starr Long in the game Shroud of the Avatar hahahahahahahahahaha.

And you want to say SOE "never does or did anything shitty like that". 

They ruined Star Wars Galaxies, they shut down Vanguard... and never gave it a fighting chance cause it was superior game over EQ2 that lacked a lot of polish and was in direct competition. They build tremendous hype for EQ next and then flush that down the tubes having everyone with a EQ boner buy their EQ Landmark. The only thing they focus primarily now is H1Z1 which they lied about, and now a days is failing as a BR to the likes of Fortnite, and PUBG. They shut down numerous games in their life span as SOE/Daybreak.... John Smedley was and still is one of the biggest scumbags in the biz... and he knew damn well enough to get out of that sinking ship.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Nilden said:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

From a peak of 5k down to less than 363... I wonder how they are keeping the lights on?

For reference Marvel Heroes pulled in around double than that at 733 when it went down and the company died.

http://steamcharts.com/app/226320

City of Heroes was MAKING money, and it went down. It wasn't losing money, but making money every month. NCsoft instead shut it down, leaving the developers and owner of the company blindsided.  

I think there is internal corruption inside NCsoft.

That or/and NCsoft is racist and hates westerners. Cause why else would they keep sabotaging their own games? Except for Guild Wars since GW makes them a ton of money. If it was making money, but a lot less, they'd treat it the same. But all their western games except for GW they treat like crap. They even tried to sabotage Richard Garriot, cause they must hate westerners and were then found guilty by the court of law making them guilty no matter what one thinks. 

Even SOE never does or did anything that shitty lol.

For Wildstar. its supposedly a pet project by NCsoft CEO. Probably why it survives. Cause CoH was far more successful and NCsoft still shut it down.
    COH was a dead game, if you think it was making money hand over first.... you are beyond wrong. Im not trying to stick up for NCsoft at all, they are scumbags just like any other publisher. But things like Lord British is completely wrong too. Garriot is a sleazy scumbag himself, and him his brother (who at the time was a NcSoft board member)... and Starr Long took NcSoft for a ride with Tabula Rasa. Wasting many resources to build a game... then completely scrap the idea.... then make the finalized Tabula Rasa, and have it be a completely utter failure. 

Of course NcSoft wanted that guy gone, they got screwed. Didn't help Garriot was totally absent from the game after launch, the game was dead in the water by the time you got half way through it. Cause their was actually NO content to do.  Then guy went to bank earning millions plus actual outer space... and whats he doing now???????? Taking people for another ride with Starr Long in the game Shroud of the Avatar hahahahahahahahahaha.

And you want to say SOE "never does or did anything shitty like that". 

They ruined Star Wars Galaxies, they shut down Vanguard... and never gave it a fighting chance cause it was superior game over EQ2 that lacked a lot of polish and was in direct competition. They build tremendous hype for EQ next and then flush that down the tubes having everyone with a EQ boner buy their EQ Landmark. The only thing they focus primarily now is H1Z1 which they lied about, and now a days is failing as a BR to the likes of Fortnite, and PUBG. They shut down numerous games in their life span as SOE/Daybreak.... John Smedley was and still is one of the biggest scumbags in the biz... and he knew damn well enough to get out of that sinking ship.
    I'd doubt it was as dead as this thread though...
    Kyleran