Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Further Thoughts on Summerset - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Tiller said:

cesmode8 said:

How is ESO doing these days? I stopped playing right around the time of free to play...

Hardly anyone streams it anymore.

It seems to be doing ok. I recently came back and the population seems about the same as it was when I left, perhaps a bit more. Nothing like launch but I imagine some folks like me returned for the upcoming expansions and to try out the Morrowind expansion they missed.

It is a megaserver, you will always have a population.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Keller said:
    I consider ESO more of a Online Story mmo. It leans more towards SWTOR. There's almost no need to group up for anything in the open world. (except Cyrodiil) I haven't seen/heard/read anything that is at least aimed at social interaction in Summerset.
    The only open world group activities ESO has are world bosses and dark anchor dolmens. Morrowind and all the DLC zones before Summerset are missing the dolmens so they were even more solo oriented than normal.

In Summerset they've added several Abyssal Geysers that function similar to dolmens except it's several waves as opposed to the dolmens' continuous spawn. The boss at the end is also a bit tougher than dolmen bosses - their difficulty is somewhere between the dolmen boss and a world boss.

ESO is never going to be like Rift or GW2 with a lot of casual group overland events but at least they made an effort with Summerset to make it better than previous DLC zones in that respect.
    Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2018
    ysquare21 said:
    Renoaku said:

It's probably the second most played MMORPG behind the Usual King of All MMOs.

Yeah eso isn't bad story wise but there really still isn't any point tohousing and good character customization compared to BDO.
    You think so? I think it has plenty character cutomization. There are so many armor and weapon types and motifs, including costumes and dying. Or do you mean skills?
    I think he means less jiggly bits in character creation :)

With respect to different armors, weapons, costumes, dyes, etc., ESO blows BDO out of the water: you just never, ever, see two characters looking exactly the same.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    cesmode8 said:
    How is ESO doing these days? I stopped playing right around the time of free to play...
    Where is it f2p? Even the base game is $29.99 on Steam
    Viper482 said:

Tiller said:

cesmode8 said:

It seems to be doing ok. I recently came back and the population seems about the same as it was when I left, perhaps a bit more. Nothing like launch but I imagine some folks like me returned for the upcoming expansions and to try out the Morrowind expansion they missed.

It is a megaserver, you will always have a population.
    There are other ways to get a feel for how populated it is that has nothing to do with the megaserver: how quickly or slowly the dungeon LFG queue pops, how many people in your guild(s) are logged in, etc.

It has it's ups and downs like any other MMO with more people on weekends, prime time, holidays, etc. You get a feel for the ups and downs and to me it has felt remarkably steady since One Tamriel a year and half ago.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    gervaise1 said:
    3dom said:

cesmode8 said:

You've missed the part where the game didn't go F2P. Or at least I see it cost ~$35 for the base game + a hundred more $$$ for add-ons.
    I will assume you have never played ESO. And missed the part were many of the "DLCs" rolled into the base game? (Unless you knew about this and were trying to mislead?) 

For $10 you can get a huge game. Many months of content. For $20 or maybe $35 an even bigger game. There are different editions just search on Amazon.

Now yes Zen will be very happy if people spend huge amounts of money on mounts, costumes, houses and so forth. Basic content though - a lot can be had for very little. New content however will have to be bought one way or another because you are correct that its not f2p its b2p.
    That is untrue, most of the dlc has not been rolled into the base game, you either sub to have it available for you or buy it.  If you purchase Somerset, they are including the Morrowind dlc for free.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited May 2018
    My only question is does the changes to sets change up the meta at all?  I got bored with the fact that the only choices that made any sense pigeonholed you into one weapon.

Two-handed weapons for example are just buff weapons and bows are just DoT support for Dual-wield which is the real stamina DPS weapon.

I would only be interested in returning if it made sense to run 2H for DPS for example. 
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Again, calling this game free to play is a misnomer.  More like a free to try game that really needs the sub-option to flower.  The free to play option is very limiting and makes crafting a no go option.

As to Somerset, there is a lot of content in this expansion.  I do not see any of my characters benefiting from the Psijic skill line at this point in time, but that decision probably needs more exploration.

Couldn't disagree more. Yes, you need to buy DLCs and chapters but the game can be played perfectly well as a f2p title. I have played ESO since Beta and once they dropped the mandatory sub, so did I. I LOVE crafting in ESO and have no problem doing so without the crafting bag. Why would not having one make crafting a no go? It wasn't there for the entire first year and people managed just fine. Convenient? Yes. Necessary? Nope.
    Renoaku said:

Yeah eso isn't bad story wise but there really still isn't any point tohousing and good character customization compared to BDO.
    You think so? I think it has plenty character cutomization. There are so many armor and weapon types and motifs, including costumes and dying. Or do you mean skills?
    You're kidding me right? Because crafting without a sub and playing the inventory storage shuffle sucks.

Fanboys get this obtuse idea in their head that if they like rolling in burning acid over razor blades then everyone else should and will love it too. Just because you can kludge around a bad system, doesn't make it fun and enjoyable.

I maxed all crafting without it.  Don't get the big QQ
    ysquare21
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Again, calling this game free to play is a misnomer.  More like a free to try game that really needs the sub-option to flower.  The free to play option is very limiting and makes crafting a no go option.

As to Somerset, there is a lot of content in this expansion.  I do not see any of my characters benefiting from the Psijic skill line at this point in time, but that decision probably needs more exploration.

Couldn't disagree more. Yes, you need to buy DLCs and chapters but the game can be played perfectly well as a f2p title. I have played ESO since Beta and once they dropped the mandatory sub, so did I. I LOVE crafting in ESO and have no problem doing so without the crafting bag. Why would not having one make crafting a no go? It wasn't there for the entire first year and people managed just fine. Convenient? Yes. Necessary? Nope.
    Renoaku said:

You're kidding me right? Because crafting without a sub and playing the inventory storage shuffle sucks.

Fanboys get this obtuse idea in their head that if they like rolling in burning acid over razor blades then everyone else should and will love it too. Just because you can kludge around a bad system, doesn't make it fun and enjoyable.

Yeah you don't need it, it does however come in handy if want to farm and sell mats.
    ysquare21
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

I said you can do it but it's not fun. You could buy your way to the top of lootcrate hell in Battlefront 2 as well. That doesn't mean it's fun or the way it should be done. I'm sure you can understand not being complacent about a design kludge that isn't fun, especially one designed to drive revenue.
    The inventory system has never been good in ESO. That was the case at launch when it was 100% P2P although many things added since that time have made it much worse. It's their decision to go with only a shared bank instead of both, a shared one and one per character, that is the main reason for that. I've never had the inventory management hassles to the degree I have in ESO (even with all the benefits of ESO+ and housing storage coffers) in any other MMO I've ever played.

It really wasn't until they added monster head/shoulder sets and then increased the quantity of unique dropped sets exponentially with One Tamriel that it became the huge problem it is today. By then, of course their cash shop was well into selling convenience so any incentive they might have had to do something about it at the base game level was pretty well gone.

I leveled all my crafts to max before there was a crafting bag in ESO+ but there weren't nearly as many useful (or potentially useful enough to keep around) things to store in the bank or mule inventory. It was a pain but manageable back then.

These days though it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to play the game without the double bank space and crafting bag that both come form ESO+:

• Even the gear that used to be a no-brainer to deconstruct for mats because it had a crappy trait is not so easy now that you can transmute it into a good trait.
    • There is never ending stream of new armor/ weapon styles you can learn, each with its own unique style stone component that vendors don't sell if you need to keep those
    • Housing crafting added another bunch of new crafting mats and so will jewelry crafting.

All 3 of those things are good additions but little by little they continue to add extra storage pressure without any corresponding base game increases to bank or inventory space.
    gervaise1[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

I said you can do it but it's not fun. You could buy your way to the top of lootcrate hell in Battlefront 2 as well. That doesn't mean it's fun or the way it should be done. I'm sure you can understand not being complacent about a design kludge that isn't fun, especially one designed to drive revenue.

I had fun *shrug*

There is literally nothing else to spend your gold on in the game, particularly if you're leveling all crafts. I spent all my money on inventory/bank space.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:
    gervaise1 said:
    3dom said:

cesmode8 said:

You've missed the part where the game didn't go F2P. Or at least I see it cost ~$35 for the base game + a hundred more $$$ for add-ons.
    I will assume you have never played ESO. And missed the part were many of the "DLCs" rolled into the base game? (Unless you knew about this and were trying to mislead?) 

For $10 you can get a huge game. Many months of content. For $20 or maybe $35 an even bigger game. There are different editions just search on Amazon.

Now yes Zen will be very happy if people spend huge amounts of money on mounts, costumes, houses and so forth. Basic content though - a lot can be had for very little. New content however will have to be bought one way or another because you are correct that its not f2p its b2p.
    That is untrue, most of the dlc has not been rolled into the base game, you either sub to have it available for you or buy it.  If you purchase Somerset, they are including the Morrowind dlc for free.
    There are 3 bundles right now. Morrowind for $30 (includes the base game); Summerset for $40 (includes the base game - with a prepurchase bonus that includes Morrowind); The ESO Collection for $80 which includes Morrowind, Summerset, all the DLC [edit: added for clarity], and some prepurchase digital bits.

Existing users can upgrade to Summerset to the standard edition for $30 and deluxe for $40. It does include Morrowind. If you own Morrowind already then that preorder perk isn't useful.

I do own Morrowind, but only through ZoS. So I'm going to buy my Summerset upgrade through Steam so Valve thinks I own what I already do. File this under "playing games with publishers". :lol:  :trollface:
    I didn't feel it necessary to spell it out but - in addition to @Torval 's comments above. 

When the game dropped the sub all the content drops that had happened till then were included in the "new ESO" base game. (Has been available for c. $10 for ages - less so now I think).

When the game launched on console the new Gold Edition included the above + the first 4 paid DLCs. For people who already owned the "base game" they also brought out a quad pack. Bought through the store with crowns; 50$ off sales and if the crowns were bought when on 50% off sale that combo would be 75% off!

For these versions check out Amazon etc. or the other accredited sellers to see if they have these old versions.

Morrowind - the first xpac - brought new versions; see above.

There are also a few dungeon DLC packs. The majority though are included or you add the quad pack. And to reiterate the original base game - without the content drops that happened when it had a subscription - is huge. Many months of play. With all the new content even more.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

I had fun *shrug*

There is literally nothing else to spend your gold on in the game, particularly if you're leveling all crafts. I spent all my money on inventory/bank space.
    Mount training!
    Kajidourden
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

I had fun *shrug*

Mount training!
    True!  But it's pretty cheap and can only be done once a day basically lol.
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:
    gervaise1 said:
    3dom said:

cesmode8 said:

There are 3 bundles right now. Morrowind for $30 (includes the base game); Summerset for $40 (includes the base game - with a prepurchase bonus that includes Morrowind); The ESO Collection for $80 which includes Morrowind, Summerset, all the DLC [edit: added for clarity], and some prepurchase digital bits.

Existing users can upgrade to Summerset to the standard edition for $30 and deluxe for $40. It does include Morrowind. If you own Morrowind already then that preorder perk isn't useful.

I do own Morrowind, but only through ZoS. So I'm going to buy my Summerset upgrade through Steam so Valve thinks I own what I already do. File this under "playing games with publishers". :lol:  :trollface:
    thanks for the clarification.  I was not aware they had an ESO collection for purchase.  I still find this game remains a sub for most people, the f2p level is so limiting.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Torval said:
    I only play the game subbed. I hate arbitrary hurdles that add nothing to gameplay. While I don't like needing to sub to enjoy the game, it's not that big of a deal. It's no more annoying than my other game subscriptions. I prefer it to the lootcrate cash shop within the main cash shop. I hate that thing.
    Aren't the crates in ESO, lootcrate cash shop within the main cash shop? Or I just don't understand what you mean by that...which is possible.
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited May 2018
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

Love the last paragraph. You do know it goes the other way as well? Just because you hate a part of the game doesn't mean everyone hates it. And since you call me a fanboy (funny, as I have plenty of issues with ESO and have never even played a single Elder Scrolls game) does that mean I have to call you a hater now? That's how this goes, right?

Also, the only thing I responded to was someone's comment about how crafting is a "no go" without a sub, which I then said it really isn't. I never said that I find inventory management good, it is actually quite bad. I only said that the crafting bag wasn't even in the base game and people still crafted and "managed" just fine. Now the crafting bag makes it better, more enjoyable and is very convenient but you can still (again) "manage" without. It is not necessary let alone mandatory.

[Deleted User]
    ysquare21 said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

Love the last paragraph. You do know it goes the other way as well? Just because you hate a part of the game doesn't mean everyone hates it. And since you call me a fanboy (funny, as I have plenty of issues with ESO and have never even played a single Elder Scrolls game) does that mean I have to call you a hater now? That's how this goes, right?

Also, the only thing I responded to was someone's comment about how crafting is a "no go" without a sub, which I then said it really isn't. I never said that I find inventory management good, it is actually quite bad. I only said that the crafting bag wasn't even in the base game and people still crafted and "managed" just fine. Now the crafting bag makes it better, more enjoyable and is very convenient but you can still (again) "manage" without. It is not necessary let alone mandatory.

The only person who thinks they can craft in ESO without a sub either does not craft much at all or is just trolling the thread.  The craft bag is flat out mandatory for crafting.  
    [Deleted User]ysquare21
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited May 2018
    Ozmodan said:
    ysquare21 said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

The only person who thinks they can craft in ESO without a sub either does not craft much at all or is just trolling the thread.  The craft bag is flat out mandatory for crafting.  

So there was not much crafting in ESO until the crafting bag came around?

The craft bag is flat out not mandatory at all. Convenient? Yes, Mandatory? Absolutely not.
    Ozmodan
    ysquare21 said:
    Ozmodan said:
    ysquare21 said:
    Torval said:
    ysquare21 said:

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Renoaku said:

So there was not much crafting in ESO until the crafting bag came around?

The craft bag is flat out not mandatory at all. Convenient? Yes, Mandatory? Absolutely not.
    If you can craft in ESO without the craft bag you are a bonafide masochist.  Sorry, but I do like to enjoy playing a game.