Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - An Amazing Seafaring Adventure - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Okay, I am intrigued.

Which starter cRPG should I get?

Pillars 1, Pillars 2, DoS 2, or like icewind dale. I'm a ridiculous cheap bastard despite the fact that my wife buys louis vuitton bags so being cheap is actually meaningless in my life.

Cryomarix
    Zardayne
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    Interesting article by PCGamersN, it talks a lot about the companion AI behavior editor.  Of note:

"If you really like stuff like the Final Fantasy Gambit system or the AI settings from Dragon Age: Origins, those are the games we used as inspiration for Deadfire’s AI" - Josh Sawyer, design director on Pillars of Eternity II

Yes, yes, yes.  I'm glad someone else in the industry noticed how amazing DA:O's AI editor was.  I'm about 30 minutes deep in building my party AIs out so I can play it less on pause managing a whole party of lumbering oafs, more on play fighting alongside my companions, all working in harmony to prevent, react, and destroy.  All of it in an easy-to-understand format of drop downs that allow you to create potential combat situations and how you'd like each party member to respond.

I've missed that system so much.

EDIT- Link: https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/pillars-of-eternity-ii-companions-custom-ai
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    [Deleted User]Gorwewanderica

edited May 2018
    Okay, I am intrigued.

Pillars 1, Pillars 2, DoS 2, or like icewind dale. I'm a ridiculous cheap bastard despite the fact that my wife buys louis vuitton bags so being cheap is actually meaningless in my life.

Cryomarix
    They're all good.  For the money right now, D:OS2 is probably the best bet.  If you dislike tactical combat, I'm sure PoE will be on sale soon and will definitely be worth the buy.  PoE2 likely will remain at 40-50 bucks for a while.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited May 2018
    so far impressed , LOVE THE NARRATOR hell why dont more games ADD THIS !

created a wizard enchanter the gameplay is basically the same as POE 1 with some things that "spice" the combat , graphics have been improved

Falling sleep and tommorrow is weekday argghh , cant wait to get my ship ready :D

Okay, I am intrigued.

Cryomarix

uhm if u played DoS 1 , play the 2nd one , if u didnt go ahead and buy it is one of the best games.

after that go and play pillars .

Tyranny was a good game , but i didnt enjoyed it like DoS or Pillars and dunno why :/

my main issue with DoS was the lack of quest marks (yes ppl loved that there were no marks and whatnot=but i was confused half the time on "where to go" :/
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I'm with many others.  The first one was a bit of a slog and I kept restarting.  I will give it another shot by the time I finish this one will be on sale. . same with D:OS I will wait until I finish the first or there is an amazing sale. . man. . .just not the time anymore.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I stopped at White March part. I should finish it then get this one.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2018
    Okay, I am intrigued.

Cryomarix
    Well if you want to be cheap and get the best bang for your buck i would say Drakensang , great game with a better  RPG system than all those others and its 10$...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/12640/Drakensang/

That vid looks grainy , not a good representation of the game the SS are much clearer

An incredible RPG system that is highly underrated .. Game has an excellent story btw
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Interesting article by PCGamersN, it talks a lot about the companion AI behavior editor.  Of note:

"If you really like stuff like the Final Fantasy Gambit system or the AI settings from Dragon Age: Origins, those are the games we used as inspiration for Deadfire’s AI" - Josh Sawyer, design director on Pillars of Eternity II

Yes, yes, yes.  I'm glad someone else in the industry noticed how amazing DA:O's AI editor was.  I'm about 30 minutes deep in building my party AIs out so I can play it less on pause managing a whole party of lumbering oafs, more on play fighting alongside my companions, all working in harmony to prevent, react, and destroy.  All of it in an easy-to-understand format of drop downs that allow you to create potential combat situations and how you'd like each party member to respond.

I've missed that system so much.

EDIT- Link: https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/pillars-of-eternity-ii-companions-custom-ai
    Oddly enough and altho i enjoyed DOA and am currently playing thru again .. The tactics system was my least enjoyable feature .. As it felt like i was not playing the game any longer .. so stopped using it altogether ..
    MadFrenchie
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    kitarad said:
    I stopped at White March part. I should finish it then get this one.
    I will say yes, so you have a better understanding of the gods and have a better understanding of what happened in POE1 even if POE2 basically start with a flashback. I suggest finishing White March main quest and then the main quest for POE1, if you don't want to spend too much time on it with all the side stuff (technically White March is all side stuff, but the main plot has relevance in POE2 according to the game director).
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Nice review.
    SBFord

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    PoE 1 was one of the only SP RPGs I finished in recent memory. Pre ordered the Obsidian Edition!
  • AnskierAnskier Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I didn't care for the first one.

All my favorite classes felt underwhelming and got worse with each of the changes they made during the patches. It killed my enjoyment for the game.
  • jgn77jgn77 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I could never get into the first one. It was waay too long before I could get a party going. I died so many times when I was solo that it was frustrating and I just skipped the zone. Then a bunch of exploring trying to get a party together. Then I just quit. Its soured the whole franchise for me.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

Nyctelios said:

Setzer said:

I have the first game and probably restarted the game a dozen times changing my character. Never made it past the first town you come across. The constant updates to tweak balancing of classes I was playing turned me off. I told myself once they finish with all their tweaks then I'll do a proper play through. That never happened.

So, now the 2nd game is out and really excited they added multi-classing. Is it necessary to go back and play the first one or can I just start with this one?

The tweaks were to solve the "aggro" problem and the lack of individuality certain classes had. I assure you the game is amazing.

POE1 is still shit and the all of the classes still lack individuality.
    SBFordcheyane

edited May 2018
    I have to disagree with some of the points about PoE @Torval.  Class roles are very well-defined, though can you build hybrid roles.  PoE2 further reinforces those hybrids, allowing you to literally build hybrid classes.

Classes feeling homogenized isn't something I really experienced.  Classes build resources and spend them in different manners on skills that perform a large variety of effects.

Card Nua was disappointing, I point to its background as a crowdfunded title for why it wasn't better related to the rest of the game.  They've corrected that with the ships in PoE2.

In PoE2, the entire party assists for many skills unless the skill naturally requires one person (a small hole that an aumua can't fit into, for example).  If the narrative is conducive to only one character participating, then yea, it's limited that character.  Otherwise, party assists count.

They've definitely took a lot of the rough edges around PoE and polished them or improved on them for the sequel.

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited May 2018
    Wow!
    How to sell mediocre game with high price tag and DLCs nowadays?
    Its simple lets just tell everyone that its awesome.

FNV is one of my favorite games, but this is just cash grab.
    Seriously $50 for base game and there are also DLC.
    Poe was okish. (Bought a bundle on HB for $12 some time ago, just finished before this one) Tyranny weird.(mostly you have to decide kill or let it live) This one... :/

Importing save file from previous game is not so important even DAI did it better. Dunno what was the point to do that. You still gonna create your character again.

Assptimization, because apparently cRPG requires you to have 1080 now.
    Gameplay is based on sailing, which isnt new. Very similar to windward and overfall. (Those are small indi games.) Beginning of ship combat is awfull text game. >.>

"Truly open world exploration"
    Wtf is truly even mean?
    Most of the islands have only supplies ( go to marsh get water, to trees get fruits), other just one small (SMALL) location with couple or just ONE monster. Or some ruins which can be searched for some crap items. But you can name some islands..for some reason. >.>

Land combat is weird. Bazillion skills and spells...still limited amount of use per encounter. >.>
    Melee allies/enemies still dunno what to do if their path is blocked. But if they have "jumping" skill they teleporting around.

Companion quests ( i did only Eder and Serafen) are meh. Absolutely not important.
    Relationship and romance. Yeah, i really need to know how Eder good at doing "it". And i really like when Tekehu hitting on me. Bioware style. >.>

Alot of people comparing this game to DOS 2 on steam. And it feels like Obsidian tried really hard to do better, for some reason. (Beginning of Dos2 also takes place on ship and its made way better)
    But in reality.. POED cant even compete with DOS.
    POED still use fixed camera.
    When DOS was released it has fixed camera but then Larian made Enhanced edition. FOR FREE.
    Also i think POED is too short.

P.S. Pillars of eternity 2 fully voiced now! YAY!
    To much pictures with text. Feels like im playing audiobook. >.>
    P.S.
  • GendarkGendark Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited May 2018
    Well i have to disagree with the review, this game is good but it isn't a perfect 10... maybe it would be a 10 if DDOS2(9,5 in my opinion) didn't exist, but at his best Pillars 2 is a solid 8,5.

I am 50h in the game and yes it is better than the first game, it improved alot from pillars 1, but well pillars 1 wasn't as good as some people hyped it.

Pillars 2 have a good graphics for the engine, they really improved it over Pillars 1.

The classes are the same, but multiclassing spices things a little.

The party AI is really nice (but can fuck and corrupt your saves, i had to do a 1h rollback because asigned customs AI to my party and then when i changed the zone everything crashed and the files got corrupted), i don't want to talk about bugs, but right now the game has a lot of them.

The thing is that Pillars 2 is a good RPG but it feels old/obsolete, the fixed camera, the loot system and world interactions, the combat is clusterfuck in some fights and because you can't rotate the camere you can't select well or drop Aoes correctly, everything is like Baldurs Gate 2, which was really good but at today times it is and it feels old, again maybe if i never tasted/played DDoS2 then that wouldn't be an issue i suposse.

The History is really bland, the only decent sidequest are the ones involving the 2 trade companies. And well there isn't a single world npc worth remembering... even now i can't write the names of my all my posible party members and i will forget about them in a month (i will rember the Lose, Sebile, Redprince history for a while).

The open world concept is good, but the actual naval combat is the worst minigame they could ever invent, well ofc i don't expect a sid meiers pirates... but the the naval combat sucks really hard.

Over all, Pillars of eternity 2 is a very good game, a great improvement over the first, but the bland history and some dated gameplay mechanics and engine don't make it a 10 in any way.