Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Missing Diablo II? The Curse of Tristram Starts Alpha Testing on May 11th - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• kairel182kairel182 Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Gorwe said:
    Diablo 3 has 3 very powerful things on his side: exciting, good quality combat / simplicity + polish and the IP / Blizz sticker. None of other aRPGs can match it there. But a lot of them are better in other ways.
    I mean, I wouldn't use any of these adjectives to describe D3 in the least.  The only thing it has is the IP backing it, and that's even loosely associated because the story line was horrendous. It felt like a bad fan fiction.
  • kairel182kairel182 Member UncommonPosts: 287
    itsover said:

squlltax said:

IF you like Diablo2-like feeling try PoE.(path of exlie)

It's a blast! :)

Poe boring
    The only people that say this never got past level 5 and forget that D2 was insanely slow to start.  I loved D2, and any true fans of it will absolutely fall in love with PoE too.  The ONLY downside to PoE is that it's got a much higher point of entry to learn the game than D2 by miles.  It's a much more complex game and just looking at the skill tree will showcase that, but the depth it allows is unparalleled.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,320
    edited May 2018
    kairel182 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Diablo 3 has 3 very powerful things on his side: exciting, good quality combat / simplicity + polish and the IP / Blizz sticker. None of other aRPGs can match it there. But a lot of them are better in other ways.
    I mean, I wouldn't use any of these adjectives to describe D3 in the least.  The only thing it has is the IP backing it, and that's even loosely associated because the story line was horrendous. It felt like a bad fan fiction.
    I as a purveyor of Diablo lore will agree to the level of quality of Diablo 3's story. The best part is Azmodan, easily. He is just what he should be: an oversized windbag. Which aRPG do you think is better polished or better in gameplay?
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 243
    kairel182 said:
    itsover said:

squlltax said:

Poe boring
    The only people that say this never got past level 5 and forget that D2 was insanely slow to start.  I loved D2, and any true fans of it will absolutely fall in love with PoE too.  The ONLY downside to PoE is that it's got a much higher point of entry to learn the game than D2 by miles.  It's a much more complex game and just looking at the skill tree will showcase that, but the depth it allows is unparalleled.
    Lots of us got past level 5 and still don't like POE. There are a lot of downsides imo starting with the ugly combat. You are ofc entitled to your opinion but so are the rest of us.
    TorvalTheScavenger
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,882
    edited May 2018
    D2 did two things better than D3: Story, and the Druid. Other than that, D3 is superior in almost every way. Better game play, better skill system, better endgame progression (though I kinda miss runewords). Only reason I stopped playing is due to burn out after a couple thousand hours between the PC and console versions, and other games beckoned. 

Of course, Grim Dawn beats both of them rather handily. I just wish they'd port it to PS4. Hopefully Sony comes around on it. 
    The only thing I don't like about D3 compared to any of the earlier versions is Cain's voice acting. The over the top scratchy throaty old man voice drives me crazy. Did old man Withers voice that? While I love ideas from other games, D3 is the best ARPG "total package" I've played so far. GD and VV are a close second though and do some things individually much better.

Gorwe said:
    Sorry I didn't read this far before responding to Solar. You nailed it. Total package D3 personally stands out on my list. My other ARPGs often offer things D3 doesn't though so D3 isn't an all-in-one solution for me. Victor Vran, Van Helsing, TQ all offer an experience I can't get in D3. We know GD does, but others are worth mentioning too I think.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,276
    This is hard work done for love .

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Speaking of which, several years late (and avoiding all the early issues) I just started D3. It's been incredibly fun and addicting solo. 

If a company could offer this type of combat, skill tree (more would be great) AND offer the non-combat activities of something like ArcheAge has and be open world + MMO, I'd be able to go full Lawnmower man and cut myself off from society.  :D

#noderail #asyouwere
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,276
    kairel182 said:
    itsover said:

squlltax said:

Poe boring
    I think it is great that people can enjoy different ARPGs. I bought Diablo 3 the Necromancer pack and then decided to try Path of Exile again and then I regretted the purchase of D3  necromancer pack because I enjoyed POE far more. However we all have different tastes and that is why we have so many games and the ability to choose what game we like to spend our time playing. Embrace the differences because these differences  give us far more choices going forward.

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Gorwe said:
    kairel182 said:
    Gorwe said:
    I as a purveyor of Diablo lore will agree to the level of quality of Diablo 3's story. The best part is Azmodan, easily. He is just what he should be: an oversized windbag. Which aRPG do you think is better polished or better in gameplay?
    Yeah... but his design is really underwhelming. All designs of that game are really underwhelming and forgetable. They "wow-fied" the game too much. Too many pointing shoulder pads and skulls gemstones over cloth armor (?!).

Just like in heroes of storm in which Jaina has a knee metal plate over her cloth pants (?!?!!??!). Blizzard is really good with colors I'll admit, but some of their designs looks like was made by a 7 years old who can't stop 3 seconds to look and think about it.
    FrodoFraginsGorwe
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Nyctelios said:
    Gorwe said:
    kairel182 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Yeah... but his design is really underwhelming. All designs of that game are really underwhelming and forgetable. They "wow-fied" the game too much. Too many pointing shoulder pads and skulls gemstones over cloth armor (?!).

Just like in heroes of storm in which Jaina has a knee metal plate over her cloth pants (?!?!!??!). Blizzard is really good with colors I'll admit, but some of their designs looks like was made by a 7 years old who can't stop 3 seconds to look and think about it.
    Unlike the memorable art and cinematics in.... :lol: yeah.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,635
    Wonder to what degree the sc2 engine can support the fast response feedback that is needed to be a decent emulated arpg experience. Not buying sc2 just to find out, but would still be interesting to know :)
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Torval said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Gorwe said:
    kairel182 said:
    Gorwe said:

In diablo 2, yes. If I see a screenshot without hud from D2 or a sprite from D2, or an Item from D2 I instantly know is from d2. It had it's own vibe and it is impossible to deny its influence in modern gaming (points at Path of Exile).

The same can't be said for D3. Which is sad because there are less known arpgs that are way more iconic than D3, like Torchlight or my all time favorite Sacred.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Nyctelios said:
    Torval said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Gorwe said:
    kairel182 said:
    Gorwe said:

In diablo 2, yes. If I see a screenshot without hud from D2 or a sprite from D2, or an Item from D2 I instantly know is from d2. It had it's own vibe and it is impossible to deny its influence in modern gaming (points at Path of Exile).

The same can't be said for D3. Which is sad because there are less known arpgs that are way more iconic than D3, like Torchlight or my all time favorite Sacred.
    I think it's great you find a F2P whale driven D2 derivative memorable. I don't. I do find your sanctimonious tone hilarious. 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,726
    I am completely unfamiliar with SC2 Arcade.
    I installed the game and found some custom maps.

Could someone tell me what I need to to do access this Diablo 2 test?
    Ozmodan
    Harbinger of Fools