Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Promises Anthem Will Cater to All Types of Players - Anthem - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBioWare Promises Anthem Will Cater to All Types of Players - Anthem - MMORPG.com

Anthem News - BioWare's Casey Hudson is back with a new blog on the company's site. In it, he presents the new mission statement by which all games will be developed. "We create worlds of adventure, conflict and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story". He begins by explaining each of the key words and how they will come into play for Anthem. From there, Hudson details that Anthem is unlike anything BioWare has created before and will be, in effect, all things to all players.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zigalucardzigalucard Member UncommonPosts: 144
    "Don't have time to dedicate to play? You can choose to buy your way through content! PLAYER CHOICE" Hopefully EA learned their lesson with the lootbox debacle, but I doubt it.
    Scotcool0400barasawaAlomarSamhaelinfomatz
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    All things to all people doesn't inspire confidence in me. We'll see.
    SBFordScorchienpantaroMikeBXarkoGorwezigalucardalkarionlogPhry[Deleted User]and 6 others.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Can I play this strictly as a PvE player ?
    HarikenLeiHngWeibarasawaSolancercheyane

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "Bioware Promises"  :D

cool0400barasawaThomas2006Moonffang
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2018
    You'd think EA was some kind of political company with all the promises they try to sell. Sell a *bleeping* product, not promises. Its like a foreign concept or something...
    VestigeGamerPanserbjorne39Alomar
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

"Don't have time to dedicate to play? You can choose to buy your way through content! PLAYER CHOICE" Hopefully EA learned their lesson with the lootbox debacle, but I doubt it.

They didn't.

They actually doubled down on lootboxes in a recent interview. Saying that they were working with governments who opposed lootboxes and their lootboxes were deemed not gambling.
    zigalucardSBFordjgDuffayPhry3domAlomarinfomatz
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    The headline is misleading, because "Anthem will cater to all type of players" is not what Hudson wrote in that blog. It makes no mention of any type of players at all outside soloers and co-op players which is very far cry from "all type of players".

Really, all the blog says is that the multiplayer content scale to your party size, lol.
    SBFordPhry
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    azarhal said:
    The headline is misleading, because "Anthem will cater to all type of players" is not what Hudson wrote in that blog. It makes no mention of any type of players at all outside soloers and co-op players which is very far cry from "all type of players".

Really, all the blog says is that the multiplayer content scale to your party size, lol.
    Which is pretty much "all kinds of players" -- shared world multiplayer experience for those who want it, solo play for others. There aren't that many other types of players. The only thing that could conceivably be added would be MMOish players who want 40-plaeyr raids. Even that though falls under "shared world multiplayer".
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Imho, trying to cater to all is where games go wrong. You end up spreeding youself thin, just cater to a audience and do it well.
    and this as well, just leaves the door open, but hopefuly people learned by now and call BS on it if they try to pull a fast one
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    azarhal said:

What about this part?

"“I like to be the one making choices in my story—if it’s multiplayer, won’t the story get watered down?”

As a player, I worry about these things too—which brings us to the last line of our mission: become the hero of your story. In a BioWare game, you should feel like the story is about you. You create your own character, you decide what happens next, and you become the hero. I think the reason people are concerned about whether these things are possible in a multiplayer game is because it just hasn’t been solved well before.

With Anthem we’re taking this problem head-on and structuring the entire game design to provide a specific solution for this. We’ll be sharing details on how it works very soon. We think it creates a unique experience where you have control over your own story, but your story is set in an ever-changing multiplayer world."
    [Deleted User]Phry
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    And by catering to everyone, you cater to no one. DOA.
    infomatz[Deleted User]

Joined - July 2004

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2018
    All things to all people doesn't inspire confidence in me. We'll see.
    Yea , more times than not , that promise = shit game...  imho
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    BioWare Promises Anthem Will Cater to All Types of Players

This tells me it will be good at nothing so I will pass. Like we already don;t have games that sold themselves as everything to everyone.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There is still great talent at this studio. This is not the same team that did ME:A
    I think this game could be special. Warning signs are obvious but BioWare is backed against the wall with less than stellar sales and reception of their last game. I hope they bring their best with Anthem so we can have some amazing adventures in their world. From what we have seen so far the world looks great. 

I agree, but you know what is of great concern to me in all of the posts since Hudson came back to BW: They are ALL defensive and very widely spread. Rather than, for instance, write about game features or provide lore or whatever (stuff that is, I'm sure, coming in the months ahead), they turtle up and go silent and, when they do speak, it's from a defensive posture and in very general terms. I read his posts and mostly hear, "Blah blah blah Anthem blah blah blah multiplayer blah blah blah BioWare" in my head. :D
    [Deleted User]infomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    "All things to all players" has been a disaster in every single manifestation i can think of...
    Xarko[Deleted User]infomatz
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

BioWare Promises Anthem Will Cater to All Types of Players

This tells me it will be good at nothing so I will pass. Like we already don;t have games that sold themselves as everything to everyone.

same way i feel. most of the mmorpg genre is "we have something for everyone!" games
  • MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Yeah well call me crazy, but I am excited for this one. Sure, it could wind up going badly, or even terribly, considering who is at the helm. But, the core idea and gameplay seem to be pretty damn awesome. I might actually consider pre-ordering this when it gets a launch date, and I very rarely do that. Sorry, I'm still a BioWare nerd at heart even though they are essentially a shadow of their former selves. I am pretty sure they can still crank out quality stuff, at least in terms of its technical performance, graphics etc.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    If the lootboxes are like SWtoR (mainly cosmetic) then I'm fine with it, now catering to casuals (who quite frankly aren't the whales who keep games profitable) is a mistake.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Was hoping for more info on the actual game. That is what they need to make sure is good is the actual game from top to bottom after so many misses lately.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Yeah, I don't believe it for a second. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Think i am past the point now of giving them the benefit of the doubt, if the game is good enough then i'll buy it, but i am going to rely on others to be the canary in the coalmine, because i am like that  :p
    SBFord
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The ability to solo or co-op in a shared world game as you wish is not exactly some groundbreaking feature that needs to be emphasized.  Unless, I suppose, you're a company known for high quality single player games that has been told by its bosses that they can't do that any more and anything they do going forward must be a "game as a $ervice."

Did anyone get more out of that blog than this?

If anything, I now have even less interest in future Bioware games than I did before.
    SBFord[Deleted User]infomatz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited May 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Oh no...

...not "everyone" again. Find your audience, then cater to it.

It'll flop so hard...Korean nuke tests won't have that amount of shockwave power!
    Exactly.

Bioware has learned nothing. It is a shell of what it once was.

These companies hired their 20-something year old managers from the school of "RMT Managment" and still wonder where it all went wrong.
    SBFord

You stay sassy!

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    At the moment I'm more interested in information about how many hundreds $$$ of "pay for convenience" options will it take to make the game actually convenient?

Thank you for your time!