Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do most people hate water combat so much in GW2? (Updated: Changes are live)

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    I think underwater combat in GW2 was good. It's not perfect, it needs more skills to choose from. If they are working on improving it then that's great news.

I have yet to see an mmo with better underwater combat.
    Also, before someone mentions ArcheAge and BDO, naval combat is not underwater combat so those games don't count.

My opinion.
    In BDO swimming is annoying and slow, if I fall in the water I just try to stay on top of it. I think Rift had underwater content, but it's been so many years since I played that game I honestly don't remember much about it, other than dying to lots of red enemies.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I always found that the underwater combat was bad because the introduction of the "other" weapon, the way it took the skills I liked and made sucky underwater versions of them + throwing it all together with another axis to navigate.

The actual water was awesome, the giant un-dead shark boss used to give me the creeps.

Archeage was cool because they have underwater and above water combat and it's all Open World and vast plus your skills are your skills.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    It's not all bad... but even before it launched I knew it was only going to be a poor attempt.. we've never really seen GOOD water gameplay in an MMO, so I didn't expect to see it with GW2.
    Never, really? What about CO, years before GW2? :smiley:
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited May 2018
    To me it is the best underwater combat I have played in MMO's, I like the movement and some of the weapons, but :

- Why am I stuck with weapons that I don't like on this class? I don't remember exactly, but I think I liked the ones from my ranger, but hated the ones from my warrior (or the other way around).
    - GW2's tab targetting sucks (especially for melee) and underwater it is more noticable because of the z-axis. Tabbing to some target out of FoV or range is the most annoying thing in GW2. I never had this problem in WoW for example.
    - It is also sometimes difficult to see what is shooting you or what you are targetting underwater.

Sidenote : I get why some people don't like underwater combat because of those seperate weapons. But that is more a problem of not being enough underwater to get used to them I think. Personally I just wished there was more choice like with 'land' weapons.

EDIT: Oh and ranger can tame a pet shark!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Po_gg said:
    It's not all bad... but even before it launched I knew it was only going to be a poor attempt.. we've never really seen GOOD water gameplay in an MMO, so I didn't expect to see it with GW2.
    CO?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Lemuria, the underwater zone of Champions Online?
    https://youtu.be/jW1mWFr8xIw
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Po_gg said:
    Lemuria, the underwater zone of Champions Online?
    https://youtu.be/jW1mWFr8xIw
    Ahh, gotcha,  never played that game so missed the reference, thanks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Po_gg said:
    I didn't think COs underwater combat was very good either, though at least you could use all your abilities.

Yep, that's why I thought I add it... most complaints here against GW2's version were about the weapon (and with it the ability) swap, in CO you had all your same powers under water as well.
    With some changes of course, where it was logical for the environment - but it was discussed in an earlier thread about underwater content :wink:

Like if you, as a melee hero, use knock up to interrupt foes while keep them in front of you (as opposed to scatter them afar with the other knocks), you will learn that in water that's counterproductive, since they won't "fall down" in front of you, you have to swim up to where you knocked them.
    (plus they receive only half of the damage, because there's no damage from falling down onto the ground, since no ground, and no falling...)
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I hate any underwater combat in any game. Enjoy the swimming exploration part, hate the combat. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!