Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you rent a high end computer to play games through the cloud?

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
This company is saying you can play high-end computer games on low end pc, tablet, or old cellphones by a new streaming technique.  You are basically renting a high-end windows pc and streaming it to any compatible device you have.  Has anyone tried this service?  Or, do you think it will succeed?  I remember setting up a vpn on my home network to play WoW at other locations.  Lag was a problem and controls were off but that was a  very very long time ago.

Blade Co-Founder Asher Kagan joins Patrick Norton and Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ to talk and demo their full Windows 10 PC that can stream to any device like an underpowered PC, old Mac, or smartphone.

https://shadow.tech/

FAQ:

Do I need a good connection?

A DSL, Coax or Fiber line offers a good experience starting from 15 Mpbs. Shadow automatically adapts to the available bandwidth. You can also take advantage of the Shadow applications on Windows, MacOS and Android via Wifi or 4G.

How do I connect to Shadow with another device (desktop/laptop, smartphone, tablet, Smart TV)?

Download our applications for free (Window, macOS et Android available now, iOS coming soon) and launch them from any device to directly connect to your Shadow computer.

Is Shadow different than a traditional computer?

No. Shadow functions exactly like a traditional computer. It’s your computer. Just better. Shadow is a PC with Windows 10 equipped with high-end components. You install the applications you want. Play, work, and enjoy the convenience of a blazing fast Internet connection.

This means that if all my personal data is in the cloud, it belongs to you?

No, your data will always belong to you, and no one can ever access it. Your computer remains protected with your Windows password and you can go one step further by encrypting your data if you'd like.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Happy with what I have got already
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Hurry compress 474 MB/s. Yes that's a big B. That's how big an uncompressed 4k buffer at 60 fps is. For a video card throwing this to the monitor is no big deal, but over the net this will need to be compressed in near real time. Then after compressions sent at under 100 ms latency. At that latency the game is also unplayable.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    With 5g low latency connections and less twitchy games like mmo's, i could see it working in the future.  This kinda thing already works suprisingly well over local networks.  It is a bit early for a cloud based service though unless it's a total non-twitch game.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    No.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Not the first service to try to offer this. Probably wont be the last. But I would be shocked if it doesnt meet the same fate as others. 
    Scot
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    DMKano said:
    The issue is latency and that is a lot more important than bandwidth.

For streaming gameplay services to feel right in actual action games like PUBG or Fortnite - the latency should be super low - less than 2ms - and this is just not gonna happen.

Now where streaming gameplay can work great is for games that are turn based or not dependant on fast input.

But yeah latency is the real issue today, not bandwidth for majority of gamers

If you have a 20Mb connection with 100ms latency, and a 1Gb connection with a 400ms latency - 20mb connection will give better performance due to lower latency.

Anyone remember Onlive cloud gaming service - they shut down.

My hunch - the same will happen with this service - not gonna last
    This.

It's an interesting idea, but it won't work unless they can somehow work out almost 0 delay. Which so far even for giant companies has been a major problem.

Take a look at Sony, and the PSnow service.

I've tried it a couple of times throughout it's life so far, and recently it seems a bit better but I do have a 500 Mb down internet connection as opposed to my old 100 mb down so that might be why. But in general on that service, twitch based shooters, any fighting game, or anything that requires precise input is really really difficult to play. I ended up just playing RPG's, or the adventure games on there as those aren't really effected as much. 

Onlive was something I was always interested in but never tried before it shut down. I'm sure there was a reason it didn't take off, and it probably had to do with delay (or because streaming games was extremely new). 

I'm hopeful they can find out a way to reduce the input delay, but I can't see a way to do that without insane internet speed.