Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Romanian Citizen Extradited, Jailed & Fined for DDoS Attacks Against Blizzard

Comments

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Iselin said:
    Only fined and jailed? What happened to public flogging & castration?
    It's only Tuesday.....

I think those are Thursday crimes....
    ScotinfomatzMrMelGibson
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Kyleran said:
    Just such an odd case for the Justice Dept to get involved with.

With tens of thousands of DDOS attacks to pursue, why this one?

Low hanging fruit, perhaps one of the few idiots stupid enough to get caught?

Are they trying to make a statement, or set a legal precedence maybe?

It's all about Precedent.

The first cases, no matter how seemingly trivial, are the most important.
    Ozmodaninfomatz

You stay sassy!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kyleran said:

Precedence I think.
    Ozmodan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    If only justice was meted out 100% of the time to all who deserved it. I agree that a crime is a crime, but I do wonder at how much it cost the US to extradite the person? Perhaps it was $30,000 and the guy has to pay it back.

Could you imagine the guy having to explain to his friends and family why he was going to jail in the US?

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited May 2018
    If only justice was meted out 100% of the time to all who deserved it. I agree that a crime is a crime, but I do wonder at how much it cost the US to extradite the person? Perhaps it was $30,000 and the guy has to pay it back.

Could you imagine the guy having to explain to his friends and family why he was going to jail in the US?

Could you imagine a legal system driven by how much it would cost to do things?

His family should see it just as if someone vandalized a business. Being digital or not, it's a crime.

I'm rather confused why people think crime over the internet is such a light thing. The video game industry dwarfs most industry on the planet and is several times larger than the movie industry.

The only thing that will happen moving forward is more control over the internet. Expect full digital tracing of your life and greater international legal cooperation within 10 years especially once there is only one global internet provider.

You stay sassy!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Time to put the shoe on the other foot.
    First of all,what the person did was illegal and i do not justify it however....
    There is a VERY big picture here when talking about not only Blizzard but other developers.
    We already know as fact they have admitted to trying to find or create programs to manipulate spending,so in other words BAITING players with their systems.

OK so they create the BAIT "loot",they get gamer's to become ADDICTED to loot chasing and so happens you also NEED to have loot to advance in the game.So yet again they are baiting and controlling gamer's to feed their coffers.
    So they create the systems,and do not have a fair system in place so that players do not get angry over loot ,they simply want their cake and eat it to and if gamer's get angry,who cares about them,we got their money.
    Oh then let's put out some articles about how WE the brilliant minds at Blizzard are going to aim at the TOXIC community ROFLMAO,let's not look in the mirror ourselves,let's just point fingers at the gamer's who make us rich.

Point being Blizzard creates and supports this angry toxic atmosphere,they designed their game/s around it because it feeds spending it feeds an addiction.

Gety your act together,make the game a friendly calm place to play,if you design your game otherwise,then EXPECT an angry toxic atmosphere perhaps even to the point a few players might go to the extreme.
    Proof is simply looking at Hearthstone,Blizzard did not allow chatting because they know the game is a toxic design,pay to win,creating anger among the players,yeah better to keep everyone hush hush and keep rolling in the dough.

The criminal gets two thumbs down and Blizzard also gets two thumbs down.

KyleranBruceYeeinfomatzMrMelGibsonTerrornaut

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Holy shit Wizardry. 

Throwing tantrums like a child isn't a defense. There is no "Boohoo" clause.
    KyleranMrMelGibsonRexKushman

You stay sassy!

• Str8HellStr8Hell Member UncommonPosts: 30
    SHAME... SHAME... SHAME.... SHAME....
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    I don't condone what this idiot did but in my country (Australia) bank executives have admitted stealing money from dead people (charging them for fictitious financial services), lying to the financial regulator, covering up money laundering by drug dealers and other criminals as well as various other activities that were illegal.

Yet all that is happening to them is they may lose their multi-million dollar a year jobs (they tried to just take a pay cut but the outrage was a bit too much and they had to quit) and end up on the boards of other companies no doubt.

Our government is complicit in all this as they tried avoiding the investigation to start with and then they only increased the penalty for this type of corporate behaviour after the investigation began meaning it doesn't apply to the current lot of bankers.

The real criminals are in charge not this idiot if you ask me.
  • BurnouttxBurnouttx Member UncommonPosts: 21
    This retard went full retard over virtual loot.... Now that is going full retard.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Tamanous said:
    Holy shit Wizardry. 

He's got a point though. People usually don't kill others at folk music concerts but the other kind however you should probably duck if you hear something that even remotely sounds like gunfire. The situations make the person and the way all of their games are designed triggers high emotion which increases spending/desire to win. They are intentionally designed like that because stomping/steamroll gameplay has proved to be good for Twitch viewership = popularity = bottom line. Add that high emotion situation to a bunch a people who don't know how to deal with loss(safe space folks) and you have a dangerous situation resulting in stuff like this. Players didn't create toxic enviroments the developer did. Just look at how all those vile defenders of Blizzard on their forum never get their posts deleted but any critical post sometimes even written by their own mvp's get deleted immediately. Blizzard is the ultimate enabler of bad behavior then they act surprised when someone behaves poorly, give me a break. This action is 100% a warning shot by them to scare anyone and everyone into not crossing them. What would be a more interesting read is learning how they got a government agency to act on their behalf for something that is quite a regular/expected thing in gaming.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Good .. like i been saying years . this problem is nothing that a year in GP wont fix , and most likely begin deter others
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    BruceYee said:
    Tamanous said:
    Holy shit Wizardry. 

He's got a point though. People usually don't kill others at folk music concerts but the other kind however you should probably duck if you hear something that even remotely sounds like gunfire. The situations make the person and the way all of their games are designed triggers high emotion which increases spending/desire to win. They are intentionally designed like that because stomping/steamroll gameplay has proved to be good for Twitch viewership = popularity = bottom line. Add that high emotion situation to a bunch a people who don't know how to deal with loss(safe space folks) and you have a dangerous situation resulting in stuff like this. Players didn't create toxic enviroments the developer did. Just look at how all those vile defenders of Blizzard on their forum never get their posts deleted but any critical post sometimes even written by their own mvp's get deleted immediately. Blizzard is the ultimate enabler of bad behavior then they act surprised when someone behaves poorly, give me a break. This action is 100% a warning shot by them to scare anyone and everyone into not crossing them. What would be a more interesting read is learning how they got a government agency to act on their behalf for something that is quite a regular/expected thing in gaming.
    Likely paid for the cost of the investigation.

But while regular we shouldn't expect it or tolerate it for any reason.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

"jailed in the US after being extradited" WTF this is way too much! Other countries can't extradite people who stole billions of their countries wealth or went on a killing spree yet over something although annoying but a silly joke compared to major crimes this guy gets extradited!?

It isn't too much, it really sucks there are crimes where people can't get extradited over, but attacking servers that stops the ability for connections by paying customers for a long period of time, is not a joke. It's something that can open up for worse situations, like stolen data and information.

I wish they would do this for other online crimes as well. I have seen countless situations where people in other countries are Swatting streamers and things like that, but never get in trouble as it's hard to trace where those calls come from.
    Yes my late aunt and her entire bloodline died in a DDOS incident. 
    No but they may have gotten credit card information stolen from a DDOS attack. They leave systems vulnerable to stolen information. 
    A DDOS doesn't let you steal information.  All it does is flood the servers with garbage traffic that makes it harder for anything else to get through.
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

Precedence I think.
    Maybe, but I can't help but wonder if the Justice Dept wanted to get their hands on this guy for other, more serious reasons and this was just the "cover" story to get him out of Romania and over here. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:
    Tamanous said:
    Holy shit Wizardry. 

Yeah it sucks but being extradited from your country over a DDoS attack? Murderers and rapists don't even get extradited from some countries but some guy who inconvenienced a bunch of gamers does? Who knows how they apprehended him. Did they break down his door and drag him away with guns drawn? If you think it's okay for this to happen to anyone just because they got pissed and bought a DDoS attack then we're in for some scary times. Unless they aren't revealing the whole story for various reasons I see this as some really over the top shit.
    MrMelGibson
    BruceYee said:
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:
    Tamanous said:
    Holy shit Wizardry. 

Yeah it sucks but being extradited from your country over a DDoS attack? Murderers and rapists don't even get extradited from some countries but some guy who inconvenienced a bunch of gamers does? Who knows how they apprehended him. Did they break down his door and drag him away with guns drawn? If you think it's okay for this to happen to anyone just because they got pissed and bought a DDoS attack then we're in for some scary times. Unless they aren't revealing the whole story for various reasons I see this as some really over the top shit.
    Which is why I mentioned this story doesn't add up. Seems to me they wanted him for some other reason but used this to get him here. 

But as for scary times,  you really wouldn't want to live in the world I would set up, I'm not known for my tolerance of ignorance or stupidity, especially when it comes to cybercrime.

;)

• l2avism2l2avism2 Member UncommonPosts: 38

"jailed in the US after being extradited" WTF this is way too much! Other countries can't extradite people who stole billions of their countries wealth or went on a killing spree yet over something although annoying but a silly joke compared to major crimes this guy gets extradited!?

It isn't too much, it really sucks there are crimes where people can't get extradited over, but attacking servers that stops the ability for connections by paying customers for a long period of time, is not a joke. It's something that can open up for worse situations, like stolen data and information.

I wish they would do this for other online crimes as well. I have seen countless situations where people in other countries are Swatting streamers and things like that, but never get in trouble as it's hard to trace where those calls come from.
    No but they may have gotten credit card information stolen from a DDOS attack. They leave systems vulnerable to stolen information. 
    You cant steal data with a DDoS attack. A DDos attack consists of nothing other than having dozens of computers attempt to connect to the server at the same time. If everyone reading this post right now all hit F5 (refresh) right at the same exact moment this webserver would be overloaded and others would have trouble accessing this website. Thats all a DDoS is.
    You can go on the deepweb and rent a botnet and take anything down for cheap these days. Especially since every toaster oven or refrigerator these days contains an internet connected computer with nonexistant security you probably have a few botnets running from your house and you wouldnt even know it.
    With the new flaws in Intel and AMD cpus in addition to the memory flaws since 2010, you can take control over most new computers now with a simple javascript.
  • l2avism2l2avism2 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Well done Blizzard! May it send a message to the others that do this sort of thing for petty reasons or for "funsies".
    Are you serious? We should shower this guy with praise. Friends dont let friends play world of warcraft.
    KyleranConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    I'm pretty sure that it's every countries desire to extradite serious criminals. And "yes" if they can be extradited they will be.

It very well might hinge on the relationship one country has with another or whether they have an agreement regarding extradition. Politics can play a part in it.

People have been extradited for killing as well as stealing

In this case, they were able to do it for this crime. Just because some people can't be extradited or it takes a bit "more" doesn't mean that someone with a lesser crime shouldn't.
    Alright. Answer me honestly. If an American citizen from the American soil DDOS a company in Romania, will that fine individual extradited to Romania as well? If you say yes I'd scratch your eyes out! ;)

There were only 25 people in the American history who were extradited and almost all of them had dual citizenship. Or maybe you believe Americans do not engage in crimes beyond the borders :)
    So what's your issue?

That a criminal was caught or that it was to the U.S.? Because I'm guessing it is the latter.

What can I say, "sorry the world isn't fair". If I had my way all criminals from all walks of life would serve maximum sentences but that's just not up to me.

That still doesn't mean that someone who is a criminal should get away with it. Also, it's not like criminals have never been extradited from the US!
    I did mention that there were people whom were extradited from the US as well, 25 in total, almost all of them had dual citizenship, meaning most of them weren't even born in the US. 

I never said the criminal should've gone away with it. There are many people here in the UK serving long sentences for beyond the borders cyber-crime, none of them were extradited besides the one dude who had been stealing information from NASA for a decade. That I could understand, because well it was NASA's classified information. Although there was a debate about this extradition here for years, many men and women of the law didn't think it was fair. 

And yes, all I said was that the world isn't fair. You don't have to apologize for it, but you can't justify it neither. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I feel I need to say this, I'm not defending the crime, at all. But I don't think same thing would've happened if the company was Romanian and the offender American. If you believe it would've been, then alright. We don't have really a debate, I could be wrong like anyone else. But if you think I am correct but this is still fine then you're not being fair. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Sovrath said:

There are different types of crime and all need to be handled.

That's like saying "well, he only shoplifted so we shouldn't be prosecuting as there are more serious crimes to be dealt with".

I'm sure there are. And I'm sure all efforts will be made to handle every one of them as time/resources allowed.

I never said I had any problems with the offender facing punishment. He should and it would make me happy. One of my branches got DDOS'ed 3 weeks ago and I hope they'd get that fucker too. But if he is from any other country, I don't want him to get extradited to here get jailed here in the UK--not over DDOSing. 

Sovrath said:

There are different types of crime and all need to be handled.

That's like saying "well, he only shoplifted so we shouldn't be prosecuting as there are more serious crimes to be dealt with".

I'm sure there are. And I'm sure all efforts will be made to handle every one of them as time/resources allowed.

I never said I had any problems with the offender facing punishment. He should and it would make me happy. One of my branches got DDOS'ed 3 weeks ago and I hope they'd get that fucker too. But if he is from any other country, I don't want him to get extradited to here get jailed here in the UK--not over DDOSing. 
    Send him our way, we tend to favor more severe punishments...especially if we tell law enforcement DDOS means Dope, Dicodid, Opiates, and Speed.

;)
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    I'm glad this happened, why just this one case though? I'd like to see all cheaters and hackers locked up with hefty fines. Scum, all of them.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    US taxpayers need to be reimbursed, too, not just Blizzard. The FBI spent how much money on this?