Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conduct Unbecoming a Guild Officer and a Gentleman

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
Talking about sportsmanship in PvP made me think, we have all done some "unbecoming" things in the past, time to fess up and see what PvP can make you do. I say make you do, we are in the end all responsible for our own actions, but I would at least like to think I have learned better.

My names for opponents: my favourite appellation is probably "cheating bastards" that has stayed with me throughout my time in gaming, though I used many not suitable for the preteen ears you so often find in gaming today.

If they do it to you it is fine to do it to them: I have never used a cheat add on for a game, but using tactics that I saw being used by opponents that I knew were not intended by the designers, yes I have done that many a time.

Enjoying their defeat rather too much: Otherwise known as "Got the cheating bastards". Jumping up and down on a defeated foe, yes I have done that after it was done to me, you can pick up bad habits in PvP very quickly. But happy to say I stopped that as quickly, other ones lasted far longer. Badly constructed "fuck you" poetry, well snippets of that I have used for years. Visceral descriptions of how foes were defeated, that was a must in the early days.

A sore Loser: Easily my worst offence, being beaten can make me grind my teeth and I would decided on the filmiest of evidence they were a "cheating bastard". Today I realise skill and chance is mostly why you lose.

One for all and all for One!: As a guild officer you are expected to set an example, unfortunately sometimes that example has been how best to further the guilds ends at any cost, from stealing good players to dodgy deals in PvP, the guild came first.

Am I a better person now, a more sporting one? Yes, but it has taken quite some years to get there. :)
[Deleted User]ScotchUpOctagon7711TheScavenger

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I think if I were to ever PvP I would do horrible things to others when I win. Anything that is allowed because I would be angry and upset after being killed (people like me shouldn't PvP) so if I get them then every allowable nasty thing like tea bagging and everything else even camping their corpse, I guess I would do. I think I would learn fast to be an arsehole. Better not to start in the first place since after writing walls of text on why I hate PvPers who do this I would become one of them (/shudder).
    [Deleted User]ScotTheScavengerMrMelGibson

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited May 2018
    Karma bombed an asshole until he logged out.
    Only who played BDO knows what Karma bombing is.
    It's very bad, but he deserved it.
    ScotPhryTheScavenger
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2018
    I'm so well behaved in online games other players are inclined to call me "Saint" Kyleran. (Well,  after "old man" or grandpa.

;)

My greatest "offense" would probably be an overzealous desire to report other players for bad behavior, or perhaps after a particularly onerous gank if their avatar name was in the least offensive. ("Dear CCP, the name "rednuts" is an extremely offensive racist name in Swahili, and it must be changed!)

Rarely have I ever reported players for cheating unless it was stupid obvious they were radar hacking or somethimg.

So yeah, being overzealously virtuous and expecting others to behave the same way in games is my greatest "sin."

B)

[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]TheScavengerMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2018
    My worst moment.

Two players on my server in WoW, one from the other faction, /sat and faced each other (flagged) looking for ways I guess to try to communicate. I came by. Both players waved at me. The player from my faction said "please don't hurt him."

But I killed him. Not sure why. Just had a passing moment of evil I guess. It was sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8V_hCqO6UQs

Post edited by Amathe on
    PhryTheScavenger

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    DMKano said:
    As far as MMORPG PvP - that is based on gear and levels and often greater numbers than your opponent - there is no equal footing and no balance - hence no gentlemen will ever participate in such a shit show.

This is the realm of asshats - endless oceans of asshattery

It's hardly cricket is it? :)
    DMKano said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Karma bombed an asshole until he logged out.
    Only who played BDO knows what Karma bombing is.
    It's very bad, but he deserved it.

Karma bombing doesn't exist - it's something that is completely made up by BDO community:

Why Karma Bombing is a myth:

/snip

So it's not a myth....
    Of course you are not forced to stay in one place if you are Karma Bombed, but that's the point of it.

A well geared dude come to my spot and start killing me.
    I come back and dance around him leeching some of his XP.
    He get mad at me, he has 3 choices:
    1) He start killing me until his karma is so negative everyone can kill him on sight (I get 0 penalty)
    2) He can switch channel
    3) He can ignore me and shares the zone with me.

Whatever he chooses I won, I keep Xping in the spot I originally chose.
    If you are so stupid to choose option 1 (and I guarantee there are plenty of them) the results are even more rewarding.
    That's what Karma Bombing (tactic) is.
    TheScavenger
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'll be honest, going from FFXI (which had 'pvp' if you want to call it that) to seeing WoW's pvp for the first time, it was pretty addictive seeing how people would act and even go to extremes of making toons on a person's server just to harass them after bgs. It was probably the only reason I did play wow for as long as I did until it went down the crapper design wise.
    TheScavenger
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited May 2018
    It's surprising how many pea brains there are though. So many people who ought to know better never act like it. 
    Post edited by kitarad on
    ScotTheScavenger

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    edited May 2018
    Only thing I do in pvp was if someone I killed would cry like a little baby and another guy just laughs, the cry baby will be harassed and killed over and over, the guy that laughed he will be allowed to walk away.
    TheScavenger
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    edited May 2018
    DMKano said:
    TEKK3N said:

It's a "tactic" that only works on morons, it's the simplest most obvious form of provocation that again only pea-brains will fall for.

My biggest issue is the term and how it's used "I karma bombed this dude"  - it sounds like something you do to someone else - but that's not at all what's happening.

You don't karma bomb other players (as this would mean that you are in control of someone elses decision making and actions), they karma bomb themselves.

So this is how it should be stated "So the 2 of us competed for the same spawns until the guy decides to start killing me over and over again - he Karma Bombed himself"

It's just semantics.
    It is a tactic called Karma Bombing.
    Basically it is the trolling version of BDO, you tease someone so much hoping he gets banned.

You do not technically Karma Bomb someone, as it requires a reaction from the other person, but you obtain the results desired by just stating your intentions (If you want to kick me out from this spot you have to sacrifice your Karma).

And it works really well as most people are not so stupid to fall for it and give up, which is the reason why Karma Bombing or more precisely, the tactic called Karma Bombing is so hated by assholes.
    ScotchUp said:
    Only thing I do in pvp was if someone I killed would cry like a little baby and another guy just laughs, the cry baby will be harassed and killed over and over, the guy that laughed he will be allowed to walk away.
    That is behaviour unfitting for a gentleman gamer, I hope one day like me you can grow out of it, if I could anyone can. :)
    ScotchUpTheScavenger
    Scot said:
    ScotchUp said:
    That is behaviour unfitting for a gentleman gamer, I hope one day like me you can grow out of it, if I could anyone can. :)
    I will try. :-D
    ScotTheScavenger
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    ScotchUp said:
    You're a real virtual bad ass, color me impressed.

Actually it would be hey honey bring me a glass of red wine. :-D
    TheScavenger
    George Carlin
    Scot said:
    Talking about sportsmanship in PvP made me think, we have all done some "unbecoming" things in the past, time to fess up and see what PvP can make you do. I say make you do, we are in the end all responsible for our own actions, but I would at least like to think I have learned better.

My names for opponents: my favourite appellation is probably "cheating bastards" that has stayed with me throughout my time in gaming, though I used many not suitable for the preteen ears you so often find in gaming today.

If they do it to you it is fine to do it to them: I have never used a cheat add on for a game, but using tactics that I saw being used by opponents that I knew were not intended by the designers, yes I have done that many a time.

Enjoying their defeat rather too much: Otherwise known as "Got the cheating bastards". Jumping up and down on a defeated foe, yes I have done that after it was done to me, you can pick up bad habits in PvP very quickly. But happy to say I stopped that as quickly, other ones lasted far longer. Badly constructed "fuck you" poetry, well snippets of that I have used for years. Visceral descriptions of how foes were defeated, that was a must in the early days.

A sore Loser: Easily my worst offence, being beaten can make me grind my teeth and I would decided on the filmiest of evidence they were a "cheating bastard". Today I realise skill and chance is mostly why you lose.

One for all and all for One!: As a guild officer you are expected to set an example, unfortunately sometimes that example has been how best to further the guilds ends at any cost, from stealing good players to dodgy deals in PvP, the guild came first.

Am I a better person now, a more sporting one? Yes, but it has taken quite some years to get there. :)
    you obviously never played pvp in Age of conan. You are too soft for it kid. No such thing as sportsmanship there.

I did, by which time as an officer I advocated suspension for even exploits, we had a reputation to uphold. That was not one of the PvP servers, the exact PvP rules (I think) were mini senarios and "frontier" fort fights. Neither were that great as they were rather buggy. Been a while since I have been called kid...thanks. :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Scot said:
    Talking about sportsmanship in PvP made me think, we have all done some "unbecoming" things in the past, time to fess up and see what PvP can make you do.
    I don't really think I have.

I mean, if someone killed me I'd find them and kill them. So tit for tat. I also learned, from that experience that a lot of gamers don't like that and will hiss and spit and cry because what they did was done to them.

But I wouldn't stand over someone's body or scam them or anything like that. Heck, I'm not really one to attack first unless I knew my guild/clan was at war.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Never done anything like that. I must be boring...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]TheScavengerMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I rarely PvP but it can be fun.  You have a good fight win or lose and just move on.  This stalking someone for hours who killed me or may have caused my death is beyond me. 

Only once in L2 did I login with a high level character to one shot someone who was regularly killing low level characters near a starter zone (early mornings around the same time everyday).  He had been doing it for days and when I returned the favor he simply asked me why had I done that to him.  So in his mind it was perfectly OK to go for easy kills in starter areas.

In SWG when Jedi had feign death a Bounty Hunter jumped me while I was grinding.  I hit FD and just watched as he spent at least half an hour trying to kill me.  He even said let me kill you and you can go back to grinding.  After he eventually left I returned to my home and later he was trying to clip into it for the kill.  I looked him up in the forums where he was telling people his mother had died of cancer recently and how angry and depressed he felt.  PvP must have been some kind of a release for him.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Never been that bad in mmorpg PvP but I did get a crazy response when I played tribal wars.

Was attacking a guy and the guy wrote me a fairly lengthy letter in Romanian, an mmorpg friend was kind enough to have it translated properly for me. The gist was basically a graphical description how he would be like Vlad Tepes and impale my ass on a spike. He ended it with "I will fuck you in the ass motherfucker".

After receiving the mail I finished the guy off permanently.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I used to backstab in starcraft . . . it was fun. But i regret doing it, i was being a douchebag. Otherwise, I used to duel and pk in diablo 2 hardcore. 

I'd go in with low level characters, usually 9-13 to high level areas and hostile everyone. They'd see my low level and not be scared, but then i'd come in and annihilate them. I think i've taken out level 30-40 plus. 

But I dueled and was always 100% legit, no hacks, no cheat codes, no nothing. 

When I played EVE I may gank here and there, but not always. Usually, i'm always polite. I never lie . .  .in video games. . . . i only lie to my wife. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Never done anything like that. I must be boring...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I hang out with a lot of boring people in MMOs. They're more fun. Go figure. :smiley:

Even before I had started WoW I had "reformed", so I guess I am really boring by now. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    The main thing I do that a lot of people object to is "grief the griefers."

Essentially, you don't give me a reason to kill you, I won't. I don't really take any pleasure in just slaughtering some random Joe.

You talk shit to me, betray me, or belong to a guild with a reputation for griefing and I go out of my way to ruin your game experience.

I identify as chaotic-good though, so I feel no shame over such behavior. People who recieve my wrath deserve it.
    KyleranMrMelGibson
    edited May 2018
    Eldurian said:
    The main thing I do that a lot of people object to is "grief the griefers."

Essentially, you don't give me a reason to kill you, I won't. I don't really take any pleasure in just slaughtering some random Joe.

You talk shit to me, betray me, or belong to a guild with a reputation for griefing and I go out of my way to ruin your game experience.

I identify as chaotic-good though, so I feel no shame over such behavior. People who recieve my wrath deserve it.

There has been quite a bit of talk about griefing players for one reason or another, something I never did even in my callow youth.

Not sure about using D&D alignments as actual psychological character models, but compared to psychoanalysis you are probably nearly as evidenced based. :)
    I actually really like the D&D alignment system. It seems to very accurately encapsulate two major dynamics of morality.

On the Good-Evil axis you have the idea that sacrifice for the benefit of others is good, and screwing others over for your own gain is evil. 

And on the Law-Chaos axis you have the idea that laws, codes, and "honor" are moral. The kind of people who make up rules such as "never shoot a man in the back", samurai upset if you use a gun, etc. occupy the lawful-good/lawful-neutral areas and then lawful-evil is occupied by people who say things like "I didn't break any laws so who are you to judge me?!" even though they just took actions that clearly harmed others for their own benefit.

Separating societal norms from true morality but acknowledging there are those who incorporate useless concepts such as honor into their ideas of morality really makes it an interesting system to analyze people's actions through.
    KyleranSovrathMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2018
    Eldurian said:
    I actually really like the D&D alignment system. It seems to very accurately encapsulate two major dynamics of morality.

On the Good-Evil axis you have the idea that sacrifice for the benefit of others is good, and screwing others over for your own gain is evil. 

And on the Law-Chaos axis you have the idea that laws, codes, and "honor" are moral. The kind of people who make up rules such as "never shoot a man in the back", samurai upset if you use a gun, etc. occupy the lawful-good/lawful-neutral areas and then lawful-evil is occupied by people who say things like "I didn't break any laws so who are you to judge me?!" even though they just took actions that clearly harmed others for their own benefit.

Separating societal norms from true morality but acknowledging there are those who incorporate useless concepts such as honor into their ideas of morality really makes it an interesting system to analyze people's actions through.
    Neutral Good is where I always self identified, maybe at times Lawful Neutral, and I always felt this matrix was reasonably accurate how people approached gaming,  but not necessarily real life.
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2018
    I think most people's in-game and out-of-game alignment vary a bit but I really do think it can be applied anywhere.

People you know in life that equate honor, law, and other concepts made up by society with morality would be lawful.

People who don't care about law/chaos one way or the other beyond fear of punishment would be neutral.

And people who actively disdain those who equate concepts of law and honor to morality would be chaotic.

I'm sure you know of people who really perfectly fit alignments such as lawful-evil if you think on it:

I've found those who I would identify as lawful find the idea of applying the system to real life the most offensive though. I think most lawful people find the idea of the existence of the "chaotic-good" alignment preposterous. 
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson