Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: The Perception System Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2vsWEm0Lc

Let's discuss the Pantheon Perception system and what it means and how it will behave for our every day gaming lives in Pantheon Rise of the Fallen!

Comments

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

Just adding in the video for you. 
    SorensinThames
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Sp maybe quit linking videos and list a few points to discuss?

Might improve the conversation 

;)

Gyva02svann

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)

That's the Video from the OP's link, just making it easier for people to watch it in thread, lol... 

Edit: which I see being way more helpful than the derail you tried to start. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Gyva02 said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

That's the Video from the OP's link, just making it easier for people to watch it in thread, lol... 

Edit: which I see being way more helpful than the derail you tried to start. 
    Discuss the points,  you, the OP, I don't care, or just let the the thread die.....
    Gyva02[Deleted User]Mendelsvann

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DMKano said:
    Whoever made that video - nice imagination, but it wont work like that.

See during alpha and beta - all the quests and secrets about which NPC give what missions will be recorded. A database of all hidden switches and maps will be filled with etc...

Living breathin world.... heh like EQ1 - it will all be online to be searched, the mysteries of online games like Pantheon can no longer exist in todays data mining world.

If this was 1998 and everyone was a complete noob without any MMO experience, what was said in that video would sort of be true. 

But today.... lol no
    How much extra coding or time would it take to make the "clickable" things you gotta click to advance to the next part of the quest to move around so it was not always in the same spot for every group? Making those kinds of things RNG might help with the "always knowing where something is" factor... 
    edited May 2018
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Whoever made that video - nice imagination, but it wont work like that.

See during alpha and beta - all the quests and secrets about which NPC give what missions will be recorded. A database of all hidden switches and maps will be filled with etc...

Living breathin world.... heh like EQ1 - it will all be online to be searched, the mysteries of online games like Pantheon can no longer exist in todays data mining world.

If this was 1998 and everyone was a complete noob without any MMO experience, what was said in that video would sort of be true. 

But today.... lol no
    How much extra coding or time would it take to make the "clickable" things you gotta click to advance to the next part of the quest to move around so it was not always in the same spot for every group? Making those kinds of things RNG might help with the "always knowing where something is" factor... 
    Even if they did it would have to be truly rng and who knows where it could be put  if that were the case. :#
    well like lets say the next part of the quest is "you need to find this bottle of antidote in this castle somewhere" Maybe there's like 50 different places it could be hiding in the castle or something. At least that way its not as straight forward to find it as the online cheat guides try to map stuff out for you. 

Edit: Or maybe instead of a rouges perception the quest version your group got requires a different class's perception? I dunno, there's gotta be a way to mix stuff up so its not as easy to map... But nonetheless, with enough time I guess it would all eventually get slapped into a guide. It would just require more reading and figuring in game even with the guide if they could RNG some quest stuff's (throws hands up, don't know lol) 
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This reminds me of Arena.net.

The perception system is just another same old done in EVERY game.The difference being it copies the EQ idea of quest sharing.
    I am all for the MMO feeling but why would a npc consider you for a quest that you did nothing to warrant the quest?

A quest should NOT be a mechanic that is simply shared,it should be given by a npc.
    This type of system makes NO SENSE.

The analogy would be like John says to you,go find me an ancient relic and i will give you a nice reward.Then a couple days go by and 6 players show up wanting the reward.The NPC would be like wtf,who are you other people,i only gave this quest and reward to Joe and nobody else.

So the reward might be an ancient sword in exchange for an ancient helmet,but he only has one sword so how would he give the others the same reward even if he wanted to?

I seriously wish system designers would sit back and BEFORE they implement an idea ask themselves "would this really happen like this,does this make any sense".
    Bottom line,you want your own quest,go EARN one, i am not in favor of simple clicking to share.
    Eronakis

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Yeah this will not work in any revolutionary way.  

Personally, I feel like it's a waste of time/money.  Could have spent it on more important things.  

Same with the whole idea of "cartography".  Massive waste of money and time.

Any system which can be so easily circumvented should be ignored in favor of more concrete things, especially by an indie dev.

Mendel
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Yeah this will not work in any revolutionary way.  

Personally, I feel like it's a waste of time/money.  Could have spent it on more important things.  

Same with the whole idea of "cartography".  Massive waste of money and time.

Any system which can be so easily circumvented should be ignored in favor of more concrete things, especially by an indie dev.

Honestly, with that take you might as well throw out anything that takes figuring out, out of mmo's as it will be posted online.
    Like what, exactly?  There's not much "figuring out" that goes into an MMO.  Other than raid content when it is brand new there is no surprise or intrigue anymore.  The ease of access to information today makes it impossible unless you just hamstring yourself and don't ask anyone else or look online (which is probably how the people you ask in game will get their info).

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Perception is just a system that makes questing feel a little more organic and adds a progression element. As you level up the system by discovering things or interacting with npcs, you can perceive more and gain access to more content.

Not revolutionary, but it eliminates some of the clunk of EQ's system and immersion breaking elements of current mmos with punctuation over the heads of NPCs guiding you through a very linear experience.
    [Deleted User]dcutbi001

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Dullahan said:
    Perception is just a system that makes questing feel a little more organic and adds a progression element. As you level up the system by discovering things or interacting with npcs, you can perceive more and gain access to more content.

Not revolutionary, but it eliminates some of the clunk of EQ's system and immersion breaking elements of current mmos with punctuation over the heads of NPCs guiding you through a very linear experience.
    It sort of reminds me of sense headings. The more you use it, the better you get at finding your way around. Only with Perception, finding your way means perceiving quest opportunities or quest elements. 
    Sovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DyanuDyanu Member CommonPosts: 9
    I love the idea of perception! it gives more power to the player to go out and find things to investigate in the world but it shouldn't be the only source. You should walk up to any and all NPC's and talk to them to see if they need help or have perception pickup on the NPC's that need help. "You notice that Betsey is frantically searching for something! or looks worried about something" 
    Just remember, No matter where you go...there you are!
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Does anyone have some specifics about this yet?  I'd like to know if this is going to progress like other EQ1-like skills, and, if so, how much difference will players be able to see between two levels, like a Perception skill of 33 and a Perception skill of 37?  Or will this be a much more limited skill, say on a simple scales of 1 to 10?

As for @Dyanu's example, I'd really rather have the Betsey NPC animated to be 'frantically searching for something' rather than have what is essentially an 'area text effect' filtered by a Perception skill.  But animating some emotions, like crying or worrying, might be highly dependent on the animation system, artistic details, the animator's skills and client resolution.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Mendel said:
    Does anyone have some specifics about this yet?  I'd like to know if this is going to progress like other EQ1-like skills, and, if so, how much difference will players be able to see between two levels, like a Perception skill of 33 and a Perception skill of 37?  Or will this be a much more limited skill, say on a simple scales of 1 to 10?

As for @Dyanu's example, I'd really rather have the Betsey NPC animated to be 'frantically searching for something' rather than have what is essentially an 'area text effect' filtered by a Perception skill.  But animating some emotions, like crying or worrying, might be highly dependent on the animation system, artistic details, the animator's skills and client resolution.

The only problem with animating emotions would be that if someone was nearby that had a high enough perception skill you would see the animation even if you didn't have enough skill to do the quest. If the world is crowded enough, you would probably begin to ignore the NPCs and miss the quest when you perception skill finally gets high enough. I do like the idea though but not sure if its workable for a world without instances.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I think we dont know enough yet to discuss how it will be.  We can guess, and we can hope.