Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grim Dawn... what a pleasant surprise

FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
I dabble in arpg games like Diablo 3 and PoE. I enjoy the pace and focus of the genre though I prefer mmorpg's. Somehow I missed Grim Dawn altogether and just recently got it. Wow! A really great example of this genre, and I put it right up there with Diablo and PoE, and this from a small dev. team.

Great atmosphere, character progression, customization, loot tables, game pace. I could go on. If, like me, you missed this game, you might want to give it a look-see.
[Deleted User]JeffSpicolimaskedweaselOctagon7711time007

Comments

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    and one of the best gaming communities on the web! So helpful and really no A$$holes
    [Deleted User]
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Fantastic game. Welcome to our community! :D 
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Out of what I consider the big 3, Grim Dawn is easily my favourite. PoE, over complicated active and passive skill system. Diablo, over refined. Grim Dawn, classic style.. the reason we like these games in the first place.
    JeffSpicoliSinsai
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    For a single player ARPG - Grim Dawn is top dog right now.
    Thats odd.. a year ago you were telling us all how superior Devilian was to GD ..

How is Devilian doing btw?
    IceAge
    Out of what I consider the big 3, Grim Dawn is easily my favourite. PoE, over complicated active and passive skill system. Diablo, over refined. Grim Dawn, classic style.. the reason we like these games in the first place.
      GD is a really great game , i started with it in its Alpha .. Been such a fun ride . I play GD, D3 and POE alot ..

GD does hit a sweet spot between D3 action and POE depth ..

Another i really like and will mentioned in the same breath as the other 3 in the near future ,, is Wolcen ..

It has a chance to the best of the bunch imo .. as long as the devs stay there course and take there time with it

cmacq
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Thats odd.. a year ago you were telling us all how superior Devilian was to GD ..

Devilian is dead and gone as you know.

Apples and Oranges - my friend, if you can find a thread (hint you won't as I never said this) where I compared Devillian (ARPG-MMO hybrid) to Grim Dawn (single player ARPG) - be my guest.

You can compare Devilian to other MMO-ARPG hybrids - like ELOA, MU Legends, Lost Ark, Guardians of Ember (all these games have open worlds with respawning mobs, linear gear progression - just like MMORPGs but are done with isometric cam)

Grim Dawn is a traditional ARPG much like original Diablo- maps that you can clear out (no respawning mobs) - RNG loot etc....

I would never compare an ARPG with a MMO-ARPG hybrid - 2 entirely different genres

You did .. your comparison and gripe was that GD drop was terrible compared to Devilian and the combat was superior in Devilian
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

Devilian is dead and gone as you know.

Apples and Oranges - my friend, if you can find a thread (hint you won't as I never said this) where I compared Devillian (ARPG-MMO hybrid) to Grim Dawn (single player ARPG) - be my guest.

You can compare Devilian to other MMO-ARPG hybrids - like ELOA, MU Legends, Lost Ark, Guardians of Ember (all these games have open worlds with respawning mobs, linear gear progression - just like MMORPGs but are done with isometric cam)

Grim Dawn is a traditional ARPG much like original Diablo- maps that you can clear out (no respawning mobs) - RNG loot etc....

I would never compare an ARPG with a MMO-ARPG hybrid - 2 entirely different genres

You did .. your comparison and gripe was that GD drop was terrible compared to Devilian and the combat was superior in Devilian

Devilian did have really good combat. It had terrible linear gear progression, terrible questing, and repetitive dungeon runs. It had terrible class customization - which is a death sentence for any ARPG in the west. Wester ARPG players love depth and theorycrafting when it comes to class builds. Devilian failed here in a big way.

But combat was really well done - it was a singular feature that was done well.

Grim Dawn's combat is adequate, it's not great. PoE is in the same category - just ok combat.

In comparison D3 has really great combat - but it lacks in other areas.

Grim Dawn makes up for average combat in all other areas - the gear is amazing and provides some really unique builds, the class building is fun - the map is static - but again the game makes up in other areas.

My complaint for Grim Dawn is how some builds are really hard to obtain gear for - and unless you edit the save game files you can end up grinding for a single drop for months.

I still have the most fun playing Grim Dawn - when compared to other ARPGs in the same category - like Diablo3, and PoE - I prefer Grim Dawn.

well thats basically how i recall you saying it .. you were abit tuff on GD drop rates imo at the time , and i recall telling you to try the Crucible update ..

Have you tried Wolcen yet?
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Grim Dawn does a number of things better than both Math of Exile and Diablo3. As you mentioned the atmosphere is amazing, skills are fun with good feedback, builds are open but not overly complicated and the same goes for gear system. Love all the secret areas and the story is also better than all other arpgs.
    From a single player perspective with only gameplay, mechanics, systems in mind, Grim Dawn would be my preferred.
    When you add online play, servers and seasons, I just quite can't fit Grim Dawn in a comparison with online games like PoE and Diablo - It is just such an essential thing for me.
    JeffSpicoli
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Grim dawn isnt bad but imo even though POE's skill tree might look more complicated, I find it easier to follow and plan with than GD's constellation looking skill tree.  
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2018
    I don't remember trying grim Dawn,i have played a few other arpg's don't remember them all  at this point because every one of them i would rate a 1/10.
    I played POE the longest,likely 3 months,Diablo 3 about 6 weeks,i wouldn't waste my time with another ARPG ever, i find the purpose behind the genre is very bland/one dimensional.
    The genre can do whatever to disguise it's true intention,example POE with it's tree system but the true intention is to find a build that makes game play/combat eyes closed easy,that is NEVER the type of gaming experience i want to have.
    Then all these arpg's do is make the exact same content more difficult sort of like scaling another design idea i detest.
    So until a developer realizes that the term ACTION does not have to mean mindless one shot spam combat and that rpg means a heck of a lot more than just a tree or a build of gem slots,then the genre will always be a complete fail as a rpg and imo not even good or fun as any game type.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wizardry said:
    I don't remember trying grim Dawn,i have played a few other arpg's don't remember them all  at this point because every one of them i would rate a 1/10.
    I played POE the longest,likely 3 months,Diablo 3 about 6 weeks,i wouldn't waste my time with another ARPG ever, i find the purpose behind the genre is very bland/one dimensional.
    The genre can do whatever to disguise it's true intention,example POE with it's tree system but the true intention is to find a build that makes game play/combat eyes closed easy,that is NEVER the type of gaming experience i want to have.
    Then all these arpg's do is make the exact same content more difficult sort of like scaling another design idea i detest.
    So until a developer realizes that the term ACTION does not have to mean mindless one shot spam combat and that rpg means a heck of a lot more than just a tree or a build of gem slots,then the genre will always be a complete fail as a rpg and imo not even good or fun as any game type.

I agree with you. So do what I do . . . and make up your own builds. Try to use under used skills in unique ways with some of the unique items using cool mechanics and get yourself on build of the week. 

That's my goal in PoE. Get my character on build of the week. Also, play hardcore, it is a totally different ballgame. If you want a challenge, do Solo Self found. Also PoE has some good flashback race thingies going on at the moment. I hear it is a lot of fun but hadn't tried it myself. 

I tried Grim Dawn and didn't get far into it, my issue is that, if i'm going to play a game with my limited time, I may as well play Path of Exile. I don't have time to do other things. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited May 2018
    Gorwe said:
    I'll admit that I still don't get it. It feels ancient school to me. I want to enjoy it, but it and me seemingly don't agree with each other. I tried to understand it, even asked around and played it until the last act(then I died-Hardcore) and I still don't fully get it. aRPGs usually grab me with their atmosphere and gameplay, but GD is so...static and dull. Drab, washed out and...yeah. Those words describe the entire game. Perhaps...nah, what do you lot think?
    Different people different taste, what some find dull and static others find alive and vibrant :D
    But I would not play Grim Dawn on hardcore until you have completed the story once, and looked up a good build - In that department, it has the same problem as PoE.. if you don't make one of the 10 currently working builds, those tight place bosses will kill you. PoE bosses are just not fun and they keep adding more of them, at least Grim Dawn bosses are a bit more interesting.
    Then I would play Grim Dawn for the story and enjoy the setting and play at a slower pace.
    It doesn't have the retention power of an online game I guess, but I did clock 200 hours.. currently on hold but will very likely return again.
    Then again I am one of those people who play Diablo2/Path of Diablo regularly and completely dropped Diablo3 after the personal loot change/auction purge, so my opinion might not hold value hehe.
    Gorwe[Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited May 2018
    I just can't get into these games with half-baked animations.  It's 2018 and the skill animations look worse than D2......

Edit: I should specify....in Grim Dawn/PoE.  Wolcen and the like seem to have stepped up their game.
    GD does rake a while to get the hang of and I do recommend looking at existing builds others have come up with, at least to start. 'Nother thing: first time through do not do it on veteran in fact there is no advantage to doing it on veteran level except to challenge yourself. We all meet at the elite level anyway when the first play through is done.

When it comes to loot the Crucible add-on is highly recommended. Not only do players do it to see how strong their builds truly are, it solves the loot problems. I have everything in the game a couple of times over barring a few of the rare MI's and you don't have to play it at the Gladiator level to accomplish that.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's a decent game but I'd still pick POE even if it was single player only.  Adding multiplayer and dedicated servers means I just didn't want to return to GD after beating it on normal.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Grim Dawn gets better as you grind out the negative rep and nemesis mobs start appearing.  Also on the great side is that as you gain good rep you can buy items to pass to alts to double their gains.  Tons of little hidden things here and there if you take the time to fully explore areas.  Overall they have been doing a great job working on this game over the years.  They update us about what is going on and have stepped up the addons to the game.  They just released an xpac and are already talking about the next one.  As far as single player ARPG's go this one is #1 in my book, with POE filling in as the multiplayer #1.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Grim Dawn is a good game and so is Path of Exile. Happy to have both in my game library.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Grim Dawn is far to repetitive.  Got bored quickly with this one. Not even in the same league as Diablo 3.
    Gorwe said:
    Flem said:
    Grim Dawn is far to repetitive.  Got bored quickly with this one. Not even in the same league as Diablo 3.
    While it isn't and can't be in the same league as Diablo(really nothing can, just look at the number of people that worked on GD and Diablo: 20 vs 1000), it is good in its own ways. Regardless, what did you find repetitive and boring?
    There was little variation to gameplay. Locations all felt the same. It felt like repeating everything over and over again. It was like i was doing the exact same thing at 10 hours as i was doing in every preceding hour.
    FrodoFragins
    Flem said:
    Gorwe said:
    Flem said:
    While it isn't and can't be in the same league as Diablo(really nothing can, just look at the number of people that worked on GD and Diablo: 20 vs 1000), it is good in its own ways. Regardless, what did you find repetitive and boring?
    There was little variation to gameplay. Locations all felt the same. It felt like repeating everything over and over again. It was like i was doing the exact same thing at 10 hours as i was doing in every preceding hour.
    And D3 differs from that how?
    Truvidien88SwampySack
    cmacq said:
    Flem said:
    Gorwe said:
    Flem said:
    Because playing D3 for me feels the exact opposite of what i stated i felt was wrong with Grim Dawn.
    [Deleted User]
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Dvora said:
    Grim dawn isnt bad but imo even though POE's skill tree might look more complicated, I find it easier to follow and plan with than GD's constellation looking skill tree.  
    I don't think the constellations are a completely successful addition.  They aren't explained well and several are so significant that others seem like fillers or very situational. 

On the other hand, PoE's skill tree just continues to be more accessible, even for non-theory crafters. 
    FrodoFragins
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I own and play D3, POE, Victor Vran, Van Helsing and Grim Dawn. I don't play them regularly but do go back to them occasionally. I go back to Grim Dawn much more often than any of the others.

Pro tip: when you're first starting out and learning about the game, it's hard to beat a Vitality Conjurer, Just start off as a Shaman, level up Devouring Swarm and just a level 1 Briarthorn (set it to aggressive) to bunch up mobs for you. Pick up Occultist and Sigil of Consumption later on and just mow things down while you heal yourself.

There's a lot of build depth and you'll want to try many other things after that but Vitality Conjurers are easy street when you start.
    Gorwe
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Finvega said:
    I dabble in arpg games like Diablo 3 and PoE. I enjoy the pace and focus of the genre though I prefer mmorpg's. Somehow I missed Grim Dawn altogether and just recently got it. Wow! A really great example of this genre, and I put it right up there with Diablo and PoE, and this from a small dev. team.

Great atmosphere, character progression, customization, loot tables, game pace. I could go on. If, like me, you missed this game, you might want to give it a look-see.
    yup its a fun game. especially cuz you can play it offline

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited May 2018
    Flem said:
    cmacq said:
    Flem said:
    Gorwe said:
    Flem said:
    Because playing D3 for me feels the exact opposite of what i stated i felt was wrong with Grim Dawn.
    D3 is just bad where it matters: Gameplay variety. Literally all you do in Diablo is run Rifts. Proof is in the pudding tho, like how D3 is avoiding the PoE league launch date by delaying season start :P Lack of character customization doesn't help either in D3. It also doesn't help that the game has not gotten new content of any notable worth in a looong time. 
    cmacq