Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seven hundred and twenty bucks for the A2? Go **** yourself, Chris.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    cmacq said:
    This is not about how others spend their money. It's about Chris Roberts scamming the hell out of people. At this point it amounts to nothing more than legal theft and it's going to leave a black stain on gaming forever. The guy has a messianic complex and no ability to complete a project without a suit standing on top of him. His past displayed that repeatedly and oh and maybe we should talk his great sojourn into movie land? 
    You are about 4 years too late with those suggestions ... all of these topics have been discussed here ad nauseam in about four dozen threads already. I am sure you will add a new, never before discussed aspect to the discussion soon ....

Have fun
    Babuinix

Argument1-7

** snip **

There is a whole thread of answers and counter arguments to your post. No need to repeat them here.  You could post a link to your original post.

Have fun
    Babuinix
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Some are just so deep in that it would shatter their world to ever see it for what it is.
    MaxBaconOrinoriPhaserlightBabuinixNyteWytchnoncley

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    cmacq said:
    This is not about how others spend their money. It's about Chris Roberts scamming the hell out of people. At this point it amounts to nothing more than legal theft and it's going to leave a black stain on gaming forever. The guy has a messianic complex and no ability to complete a project without a suit standing on top of him. His past displayed that repeatedly and oh and maybe we should talk his great sojourn into movie land? 
    You are about 4 years too late with those suggestions ... all of these topics have been discussed here ad nauseam in about four dozen threads already. I am sure you will add a new, never before discussed aspect to the discussion soon ....

Have fun
    Then tell the person who posted the wall of text about how much money they have and how much they can spend to not bring up 4 year old arguments.
    ErillionnoncleyStjerneoddMrMelGibson
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    ANY price for a ship outside the game world is flat out WRONG,support this crap and you are supporting a very lame developer who does NOT GET IT.

You have hangars,well let's utilize them.Build ships,gather resources,perhaps hire npc's to work in your shop/hangar etc etc,you know build a WORLD not just a cash shop in space.
    Babuinix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    anddddddddd in our next aroudn the verse,take it away John over in Germany.
    Ok Chris we are working hard,we are improving the cockpit visuals,we have added a better looking window and nicer looking guages.
    Ok back in the good ole USA we are working hard as well,we have some new lighting features,some new shine for our ships and OH did i mention we have some new ships for sale.
    cmacqBabuinixnoncley

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited May 2018
    Wizardry said:
    ANY price for a ship outside the game world is flat out WRONG,support this crap and you are supporting a very lame developer who does NOT GET IT.

You have hangars,well let's utilize them.Build ships,gather resources,perhaps hire npc's to work in your shop/hangar etc etc,you know build a WORLD not just a cash shop in space.
    >>>build a WORLD>>> Incidently ... that is what CIG is doing at the moment.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

And this IS a crowdfunding project that DOES rely on money from player-backers instead of large investors. It is in the nature of crowdfunding that you can voluntarily spend as much as you like beyond a basic starter package.

>>>
    we have some new lighting features,some new shine for our ships
    >>>

You may not like the answer ... but ALL of these things put together ARE the games we play today. It may look trivial to you. I think it is not. The program running on the Apollo computer was trivial by today's standards. And still it brought humanity to the moon.

Have fun

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Your post doesn't show the power advantage tho, people may have more ships, but what's giving them an advantage over me?

Your first point makes sense, but then falls here, "to be sold later on" meaning if and  when this game comes out, I will have to play the game and earn UEC to buy my edge and said person trying to sell those ships will have to sit around twiddling their thumbs until players have earned enough to buy the stacks of ships of them, but that heavily rides on information we don't know yet like, how quickly players can earn ingame money and ships. 

If I can earn ships and money at a nice pace, why would I want to buy from the bulk selling guy? 
    Also if they plan not to sell them after launch what happens to those who bulk bought and player can earn ships at a nice pace and have no need to buy those ships?

Unless I'm missing something? If UEC is real money currency, then will agree

Babuinix
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Some are just so deep in that it would shatter their world to ever see it for what it is.
    Yup, but that applies equally to both the "for" and "against" crowds, lol
    Babuinix
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    and I love these threads for the total naivete of the die-hard fanbois. He has no reason to ever release this game. The scam is working far better than an actual release could in generating funds.
    ErillionBabuinixnoncleyAngel_Piero
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2018
    cmacq said:
    and I love these threads for the total naivete of the die-hard fanbois. He has no reason to ever release this game. The scam is working far better than an actual release could in generating funds.
    You're just full of hyperbole, empty of reason.

If you understood basic facts, that are quite logical as to what is the situation and how things work... but no, let's just shout hyperbole out loud and blame it on the fans :D.

Just one fact destroys your narrative, do this:

Go check how many hundreds of employees CIG has worldwide, then go check the default costs of a normal studio operation at that scale (even if you want, use under average numbers), make basic math... then you'll reach enlightenment when it comes to the funds SC generates vs their cost vs "no reason to release". ;)
    ErillionBabuinixDarkpigeonAngel_Piero
    >>>
    He has no reason to ever release this game.
    >>>

Except that 400+ developers take away the cash he gets from crowdfunding at a fast pace.

While all the cash he gets from sales after release of the game is generating a much higher percentage of profit, as he needs a much smaller workforce to maintain the game compared to developing the game.

Even your "greed" argument falls flat on its face once someone looks at it closer.

Have fun 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2018
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>
    Awww, you shouldn't have told him and let him reach the conclusion himself.

Numbers are numbers, there's no spinning that, the moment this project costs more to the company than what they generate via crowdfunding yearly (what is widely accepted even if you underplay their costs below industry standard), that argument is just shattered to pieces.

The SC fans this, the SC fans that, meh...
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Wizardry said:
    are supporting a very lame developer who does NOT GET IT.

I think he is getting plenty of it. What is it now, almost 100 million? one HUNDRED million!!!!!! imagine!
    Babuinix
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Erillion said:
    The program running on the Apollo computer was trivial by today's standards. And still it brought humanity to the moon. 

Have fun

I heard we have more computing power in today's watches. According to one 'anti star citizen' though we didn't go to the moon so I just don't know what to believe any more :S
    BabuinixKyleran
    Orinori said:
    I heard we have more computing power in today's watches. According to one 'anti star citizen' though we didn't go to the moon so I just don't know what to believe any more :S
    He should try to tell that to Buzz Aldrins face.

Buzz has been known to punch people into the face for calling him a liar ;-) 

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I still find it odd that people get so angry how others spend their money.

I actually just dropped a little more money on this game, still well under what I've paid for certain collectors edition's on games like Dark Souls 3...etc, however, I do this because I am interested in the project and have money to spare.

I have 2 M.A's from Harvard and Cambridge, and have a job that allows me to spend money on whatever I want.

If the game vanishes tomorrow and I am out that money, I literally wouldn't even have a second thought about the cash value, and would instead be more upset that I never get to play the finished product that I was hoping to see.

I have friends and business acquaintances that have spent thousands of dollars on hobbies such as paintball or air soft. I have friends that have spent several hundred thousand on guns. I have friends, (including myself), that have spent several hundred thousand on cars. And I even have friends that have invested several million in simple startup ideas.

In the end, we do all this knowing the guns are generally worthless since I don't have to defend my home from zombies. The paintball/air soft are just hobbies and have no real worth. The cars are losing their value more and more every day. And the businesses invested in could belly up if not managed properly. In the end, we have more than enough money to do what we want with it, including shredding it, burning...or just giving it all away........

For those so concerned with how some of us spend our money, perhaps you should be more concerned with why we have so much disposable cash, while others don't. I find it funny how the large majority of people without disposable income to spend on anything they want call those with that income "stupid". Our "freedom" of spending would say the tables are turned.....don't you think?

Is it a little surprising how much some people spend? Sure! But when I see some of these guys who have dropped $50,000+, the last thing I think is that he is "stupid". I generally think, "Boy, that guy's got some serious disposable income to be dropping that much on a game."

All in all....those "stupid" people have WAY more money than all of you.....they can't be that "stupid" :open_mouth:
    Sure. If you are pulling in six figures or more and want to drop a thousand on this, what business is it of mine?

Thing is, at this point it's prospecting. It's gambling.

All those other hobbies you mentioned are real tangible things; we are talking about virtual goods in a game that has missed multiple deadlines, may or may not be any good, and is expected to deliver at some undefined future date.  The examples you give are not remotely equatable to what's happening in SC.

Notice I haven't called anyone "stupid" (your words, not mine); on the other hand, you have rumors of people selling their roofs or emptying their children's college savings to pay for Star Citizen ships (I will dig up these links if I must; I'd rather not as they are buried pretty deep in this site), and if that is what's really going on I wouldn't be a good "citizen" not to say something.  It's just basic human goodness.
    OrinoriStjerneodd

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Are the same people paying $720 for a ship in a game that hasn't even announced when it launches yet, the same ones that are complaining about cash shops and microtransactions?
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Are the same people paying $720 for a ship in a game that hasn't even announced when it launches yet, the same ones that are complaining about cash shops and microtransactions?
    Nah I think those are the ones who don't actually play games but just post on forums tbh
    Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited May 2018
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Except that 400+ developers take away the cash he gets from crowdfunding at a fast pace.

While all the cash he gets from sales after release of the game is generating a much higher percentage of profit, as he needs a much smaller workforce to maintain the game compared to developing the game.

Even your "greed" argument falls flat on its face once someone looks at it closer.

Have fun 

No it's pretty much greed. One asset for a game, charging that much is insane. I mean I could see if had some educational value, or was an item you could use to make an actual living off of, perhaps even marketable for a decent profit, but it's one game asset, a digital toy at best and probably a poorly optimized one at that (based on some of the videos I've seen of some of the other buggy ships).

They are just charging that much because there are wales willing to pay that much. I'm sure CR sits around on the weekends LOLing about how funny it is that people pay for this stuff.

It really reminds me of the Jim Bakker resort scandal, and we all know how that ended.

Same person?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited May 2018
    I still want to know the $ vs hours to aquire ratio for these ships. the multi hundred dollar ships must certain have a very long time to aquire, years probably or else people will be quite upset im sure.
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Is 45 too much? For a game after 5 plus years, and still not in beta, I would say yeah. Do I want the game to release, of course. But what I really need to know after all this time is exactly where all the money is going. There just no logical reason Chris Roberts isn't allowing us to see the books opened. After, all that is what he promised us in writing and signed.

Oh and please do not insult me about gaming companies taking this or that long. The whole reason Roberts said this way was better was getting away from those gaming companies. He really needs to finally come clean open the books and show us how much is still available and how much went to their bank accounts.
    Babuinix
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Have fun 

But this is about Roberts' bloated ego.  He loves playing the big dog, and having this huge organization at his beck and call.  It means he's important!  He can continue lording it over everyone while making countless bloviating videos that he's still probably individually notating on imdb.   

He has no incentive to efficiently  finish the game, as the money keeps rolling in, and he can keep micromanaging til the cows come home.  There's always going to be a pixel that needs to be blue.....
    KefoBabuinix

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RaZKaLzRaZKaLz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Raquis said:
    Star Citizen release date is? lol.
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Erillion said:
    mrputts said:
    LOL, and here I am patently waiting on release not spending any of my money. Fools need to be parted from their money somehow I guess.
    Those "fools" are the ones that make it possible that YOU one day can buy a finished game on release day. Because without those "fools" and a crowdfunding campaign you would have no Star Citizen game to buy on release day.

See ya In The 'Verse!

Have fun 
    Oh don't get me wrong I am very happy there are people with more money than brains. I am super excited to purchase this game on release. I have been waiting for it since about the time I started waiting for Jumpgate Evolution....

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo