Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good and intelligent forums for discussing politics?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hi guys, 

I've been recently fascinating by politics, well more, the philosophy of things in the past 2 years. I am looking for a good website or forum where people discuss things intelligently and with facts and perspective. I don't want some trash website/forum where the comments are senseless, full of fallacies, and not helpful. 

I like to understand how people think in terms of political figures. 

So any good website, where people actually provide raw factual data with good evidence or people who support whatever candidates who are not completely idiotic. 

i.e. i'd rather hear someone say, i supported X candidate for A-Z reasons and these may be conflicting but this is how i see it verses . . . omgzors, the friggin emails, put her in jail. 

or better yet, 

what I hope people do is say that I like candidate A for these reasons and dislike candidate A for those reasons but I voted for that person over the other because of. 

Thanks. 

Cryomatrix
p.s. no political views on this thread thanks :)
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
Arclan

Comments

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    On the internet? No. There really is none. At least I haven't found one in the 12 years I've been politically active. You either find an echo chamber that conforms to your view and pushes you further in to your ideology or you find toxic s-hole where every debate ends up being a poo-flinging fest.

My advice as someone who's been on both sides is to stay away from internet politics. It serves no purpose other than to get your blood pressure up. You don't change minds you don't make a lasting impression. Might as well yell at a wall at least the wall won't try and get the last word in.
    Cryomatrix
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Well, good point. I was hoping just to hear people's views and try to understand them with people are actually intelligent and not those who think they are intelligent, etc. I don't care if your views are different than mine, I just hope a person is intelligent enough to delineate their views so I could so how someone could vote for X and Y whereas I would never vote for X and Y, just want to see a thought process and try to learn. 

Cryomatrix
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2018
    The current political scene in too many aspects ends on too aggressive extremes to have such publicly, in smaller groups and their discussions more excluded from public view is where you usually find the best discussions.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I've yet to find anywhere suitable, not in real life or on the internet. There are three main issues when it comes to discussing politics in my opinion:

1) Tribalism

Most people succumb to tribalism too easily, whether its supporting a sports team, being proud of your home city or voting for a political party. Once someone has become tribal, anything bad you say about their tribe becomes a personal insult to them. This makes it virtually impossible to have an intelligent conversation about politics. 

2) They're all shit

All political parties around the world seem to be shit. I would be extremely surprised if you were able to find a party that actually matched your personal beliefs. As an old south park episode once said, it basically comes down to a vote between a douche and a turd. I pity Americans with their 2 party system as it basically ensures that both parties go to the extremes and exaggerate their own turdiness. 

3) The issues are too complex

Running a country is one of the most complicated things ever. The implications of new policies can be so wide ranging that it is impossible for the average person to comprehend them. I consider myself well educated, intelligent and well informed, but I still struggle immensely with a lot of the big issues. This means that a lot of decisions boil down to a gut feeling and it's really hard to discuss gut feelings. 

I certainly suffer a lot with real life discussions. I'm 32 and most of my friends are quite alternative (as am I) so almost all my friends are lefties. I'm not. Whilst I am quite socially liberal, I prefer more conservative / centre-right policies when it comes to things like the economy, national defence, education etc. None of the parties in the UK match my personal beliefs, so I vote based on what I believe is in the best long term interests of the majority of the population. It's impossible to explain that to a young leftie. They have their core beliefs, they have a party that espouses those beliefs, so nothing else matters. It doesn't matter that their party can't pay for any of their policies or that their party has a track record of fucking things up. Tribalism kicks in and prevents the debate from reaching that far. 

I've yet to find anywhere suitable, not in real life or on the internet. There are three main issues when it comes to discussing politics in my opinion:

1) Tribalism

Most people succumb to tribalism too easily, whether its supporting a sports team, being proud of your home city or voting for a political party. Once someone has become tribal, anything bad you say about their tribe becomes a personal insult to them. This makes it virtually impossible to have an intelligent conversation about politics. 

2) They're all shit

All political parties around the world seem to be shit. I would be extremely surprised if you were able to find a party that actually matched your personal beliefs. As an old south park episode once said, it basically comes down to a vote between a douche and a turd. I pity Americans with their 2 party system as it basically ensures that both parties go to the extremes and exaggerate their own turdiness. 

3) The issues are too complex

Running a country is one of the most complicated things ever. The implications of new policies can be so wide ranging that it is impossible for the average person to comprehend them. I consider myself well educated, intelligent and well informed, but I still struggle immensely with a lot of the big issues. This means that a lot of decisions boil down to a gut feeling and it's really hard to discuss gut feelings. 

I certainly suffer a lot with real life discussions. I'm 32 and most of my friends are quite alternative (as am I) so almost all my friends are lefties. I'm not. Whilst I am quite socially liberal, I prefer more conservative / centre-right policies when it comes to things like the economy, national defence, education etc. None of the parties in the UK match my personal beliefs, so I vote based on what I believe is in the best long term interests of the majority of the population. It's impossible to explain that to a young leftie. They have their core beliefs, they have a party that espouses those beliefs, so nothing else matters. It doesn't matter that their party can't pay for any of their policies or that their party has a track record of fucking things up. Tribalism kicks in and prevents the debate from reaching that far. 

I oscillate back and forth between left and right, im more middle right as well. I think both extremes are garbage. I vote for what i think is best for the USA in the long term. My beliefs are both parties in the USA suck.  I tend to vote more on the lefty side these days, id rather not get myself thrown into a concentration camp any time soon. The USA is becoming quite unfriendly these days. 

Good points cameltosis.

Cryomatrix
    Kyleran
  • OrashnaOrashna Member CommonPosts: 8
    edited January 2018

Personally, even though I'm a Libertarian and it's a Libertarian site (not the same as democrat or liberal, not even close) is Reason because the comment threads do have people that are open-minded and always up for a debate

Their comment sections are full of some really funny and also intelligent people who will have no problem giving you facts + links in any debate you're willing to have with them

And then there's also infowars if you just really want to laugh at the dredges of the internets hah

edited grammatical errors

Post edited by Orashna on
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2018
    I'm a classical liberal. While I can agree that Reason's forums will generally have a more polite debate, you will never convince anyone to change their Libertarian mindset there. Pretty common for Libertarians to assume they are always right and have the facts to back them up. Political ideology tends to be philosophical which is difficult to quantify.
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    If you are looking for (generally) thoughtful conversation from a group of people whose intelligence is probably a level above that of the average forum dweller, I'd suggest /r/politics. Although realize - the discussion here most often slants liberal. The format is people posting links to mainstream political news and opinion pieces, and then discussing them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/

But if instead you believe that Donald Trump , the alt-right, and the GOP are god's gift to humanity, try one these two subreddits. The stories discussed and linked here (if any, people often just post their own diatribes) will be from the likes of Fox News, Breitbart, and The Daily Stormer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Conservative/

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited January 2018
    Pynda said:
    If you are looking for (generally) thoughtful conversation from a group of people whose intelligence is probably a level above that of the average forum dweller, I'd suggest /r/politics. Although realize - the discussion here most often slants liberal. The format is people posting links to mainstream political news and opinion pieces, and then discussing them:

But if instead you believe that Donald Trump , the alt-right, and the GOP are god's gift to humanity, try one these two subreddits. The stories discussed and linked here (if any, people often just post their own diatribes) will be from the likes of Fox News, Breitbart, and The Daily Stormer.

That is why Libetarian is the best.  They bash both party.  And you don't even need to side with them, because they are irrelevant. 
    Pynda said:

/r/politics is no different than the ones you listed a the bottom. If you go against the group think of /r/politics you get downvoted into oblivion.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    edited April 2018
    Facebook is where I do all my political discussion; and if you find politics interesting, you will find history to be mind blowing; not the boring and censored history offered up to us; but the fascinating, dark and sadly true 'forbidden' history.  Finding this requires reviewing thousands of documents on hundreds of websites (or talking to people who have).  Many websites did not survive the Great Censorship Purge beginning in 2016.
    "The Art of the Red Pill."

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    There is this one site where the debate starts with a central question such as "Should Confederate Statues Be Torn Down" then people can answer and their answers stick out from the central circle of the question. Then you can give supporting points for or refute their answers, and those stick out of the answers. Then you can support or refute the replies the the answer etc. so it forms these long structured arguments.

It was highly moderated so flaming and trolling would quickly be removed.  

Can't remember the name of the site though. :(
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Eldurian said:
    There is this one site where the debate starts with a central question such as "Should Confederate Statues Be Torn Down" then people can answer and their answers stick out from the central circle of the question. Then you can give supporting points for or refute their answers, and those stick out of the answers. Then you can support or refute the replies the the answer etc. so it forms these long structured arguments.

It was highly moderated so flaming and trolling would quickly be removed.  

Can't remember the name of the site though. :(
    I was trying to find the same site.  I remember it only allowing posts that lay out a clear argument or point like you mentioned.  There was some kind of voting system to it I think, but I can't remember the name of the site either.  It's about exactly what the OP was looking for.

Yes, where is it.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Yes, where is it.
    I wish I knew.  It was some kind of one word name..  Like Quora.  I don't remember how I stumbled upon it.

Yeah I think it started with a K or a Q. I don't remember which email I used when I registered an account.
    MadFrenchie
    edited April 2018
     Quora?
  • gameralacritygameralacrity Member CommonPosts: 7
    I would check out reddit or quora
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    I personally like debatepolitics.com

Don't get me wrong, it is extremely extremely uncivilized and pretty much always devolves into mud slinging (if it didn't start out that way in the first place).

However, it is very active, has tons of topics, and you will get some nice discussions as long as you accept that you're basically operating in a circus of a forum. That's just the nature of political forums.

Mend and Defend

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Intelligence IN politics?! What party is it where we do the most good for the largest amount of people? That's the party I'd be interested in!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• StradoStrado Member CommonPosts: 6
    I used to lurk on gamespot forums, they have quite popular 'political gamers' forum, but as a lot of you mentioned, every debate or a discussion is usually based on emotions.

Some are more literate in how the debate should be structured with sources and proven arguments, but then it escalates in nitpicking the details and words making it personal to both sides.

I doubt you can find anything real on the internet, the website should have a test before applying to write a few articles on some debatable topics and see if you are emotional or stand in the middle of everything.