Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My days of healing are over.

13»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not that I'm making a big deal over it, but since the topic is still up, I'm breaking down the situation in my head. 

Realm of the Fae - I don't remember the exact details, but 16 to 19 level.  The tank was much more than that something like 22, I was 18 and all dps were 16. 

One problem with LFD in all games is,  groups are usually "always minimum level".  That right their always makes a healers job hard.  

Because of the large swing in levels between tank and all others: 
    -Tank was self sufficient, not needing heals. 
    -When healed, the healing was weak. 
    -When low dps took damage they are dead instantly. 
    -Because the tank was high level, "he decided to speed run".  

In less than 10 minuets we were 3/4 way through.  What ?.....Are dungeons now only a fast mini game ? 

I'm not sure if I could justify it, but I'm starting to blame LFD and the game itself.  Players will "always" do what a game allows them to do !!!!!
    LFD is likely one of those 'necessary evils' that without which probably a fair number of players would not be able to experience the content the games make available, of course there are tales of speed runners and other questionable tactics that really are more about grinding for items than actually experiencing the game, but that doesn't mean that there are not also some pretty good examples where players make new friends etc. where they have actually enjoyed the experience. You are more likely to hear about the bad than the good after all.
    Without LFD and other features like that, then its entirely probable that a significant percentage of the game will be 'locked off' from a portion of the games playerbase and not sadly because the players don't have a wish to experience it either, i seem to remember it was for this reason that Blizzard introduced those features in the first place, because only a relatively small percentage of the playerbase was actually engaging with the raid content, and to some degree, the Dungeon content, which for a PVE focused game means that a lot of time and resources had been spent on content that most players never even experienced. So there is the good and there is the bad, or as so often seems the case, a necessary evil. :/
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,421
    Phry said:
    Not that I'm making a big deal over it, but since the topic is still up, I'm breaking down the situation in my head. 

Realm of the Fae - I don't remember the exact details, but 16 to 19 level.  The tank was much more than that something like 22, I was 18 and all dps were 16. 

One problem with LFD in all games is,  groups are usually "always minimum level".  That right their always makes a healers job hard.  

Because of the large swing in levels between tank and all others: 
    -Tank was self sufficient, not needing heals. 
    -When healed, the healing was weak. 
    -When low dps took damage they are dead instantly. 
    -Because the tank was high level, "he decided to speed run".  

In less than 10 minuets we were 3/4 way through.  What ?.....Are dungeons now only a fast mini game ? 

I'm not sure if I could justify it, but I'm starting to blame LFD and the game itself.  Players will "always" do what a game allows them to do !!!!!
    LFD is likely one of those 'necessary evils' that without which probably a fair number of players would not be able to experience the content the games make available, of course there are tales of speed runners and other questionable tactics that really are more about grinding for items than actually experiencing the game, but that doesn't mean that there are not also some pretty good examples where players make new friends etc. where they have actually enjoyed the experience. You are more likely to hear about the bad than the good after all.
    Without LFD and other features like that, then its entirely probable that a significant percentage of the game will be 'locked off' from a portion of the games playerbase and not sadly because the players don't have a wish to experience it either, i seem to remember it was for this reason that Blizzard introduced those features in the first place, because only a relatively small percentage of the playerbase was actually engaging with the raid content, and to some degree, the Dungeon content, which for a PVE focused game means that a lot of time and resources had been spent on content that most players never even experienced. So there is the good and there is the bad, or as so often seems the case, a necessary evil. :/
    Part of running dungeons with random strangers is being tolerant and going with the flow. I run them all the time with ADD speed runners, with new players, with Chatty Cathy and Silent Bob... I seldom have problems with anyone.

By my estimation the PUGs I run where someone rage quits or needs to be kicked are maybe 1 in 20. I'll take those odds for the fun of the other 19.
    PhrygunklackerkitaradScotimmodium
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,960
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Healing in all MMOs is more about experience with the game - and especially experience with specific dungeons. I would never presume to go into a game and just roll a healer and try to bumble my way through it as a know-nothing noob no matter how many YT videos I watched.

Learn the game as a DPS and only then roll a healer. This has always worked for me as someone who ends-up being a healer at end-game more often than not.
    I think people have this misconception that if you've played on MMO you're can drop in and rock any of them the same.

Your way is what works for me too. DPS is the way to start off in an MMO, then healing. When I want to start healing I go into public dungeons or world events and heal boss fights.

I get wanting to jump right into healing. Rift Prime has a rushed feeling to it. Everyone is trying to get to cap as fast as possible, get world first, get into the raids, and go go go. It's a combination of the pressure of a time-limited fast content release server and players rushing. It doesn't leave a lot of room for people like Delete to get up to speed. Also, the class and dungeon balance is rubbish like Leiloni pointed out.

I can't say anything about Prime as I haven't tried it but I played Rift a lot back when it first released and healed with a Chloro - not that I didn't like the Clerics but because I was tickled pink someone had finally done a mage healer right. Loved healing through damage done with the occasional direct heal too of course.

The few times I've fired it up since those days has been to mostly solo with a Harbinger/Chloro... I wouldn't have a clue about the ins and outs of healing in Rift these days :)
    Early chloro healing was a lot of fun until it got removed for balance. Harb/Chloro is my favorite spec now.

The point being you it's very hard to just jump into healing. Like you said, you're not familiar with healing in Rift now. And with Prime not tuned well it makes a cold transition into healing hard. Add on that it's the type of game with "BiS builds" which means you need to play and build your character how the community wants you to if you plan on running dungeons. It's like the complaints about Vet content in ESO only in Rift it's that way for any instanced content including PvP.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,671
    Wasn't part of Rift's niche was that it wasn't trinity oriented? The new trend of everyone can do everything?
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,960
    Wasn't part of Rift's niche was that it wasn't trinity oriented? The new trend of everyone can do everything?
    It has always been trinity. Every class can build for one of the trinity roles. Mages, Rogues, Clerics, and Warriors can all tank - differently.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,960
    There should be the pious pentad 

1) tank for boss 
    2) healer
    3) dps for boss 
    4) summoner for adds control 
    5) buffer with 3 to 20 second duration buffs to make it an active thing 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,247
    Flyte27 said:
    I had a lot of fun in pickup groups in UO, EQ, and WoW myself.  Sometimes there were problems, but it was usually amusing.  The worst part was getting out of a group once in it.  The people didn't want you to leave for one reason or another.
    I experienced this in EQ, also. Leaving was not easy and it felt good to be "wanted." Yes, I had awful pug experiences, too, but many of them were fun for the most part.
    ScotFlyte27

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,847
    Well this thread is a very good one to support what i have been saying a longtime...FFXI>ALL the rest.
    You see in aFFXI,having better gear or higher numbers can be a detriment because combat is/was all about the group  as a whole and NOT the individual.

So wtf am i talking about?Well if a healer does such high healing it over powers the dps and or tank and or other healer/s they draw hate/aggression and that can be death IF the game /combat is difficult and not just doing some fly by night errands.
    It is also another reason i don't like games utilizing plate healers,it ruins the integrity of the combat and the players.
    A healer should be well versed in how much healing they can do and they should be at risk so as to NOT spam healing,there should ALWAYS be risk versus reward.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,099
    I can't even remember the game.  But I remember being yelled at for someone dying because they were dumb and it ended my desire to ever become a pure healer.  I only could play off healer types. 

I usually play the healer when I play with family in COOP RPG's though.  I wish they made more of them.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Wizardry said:
    Well this thread is a very good one to support what i have been saying a longtime...FFXI>ALL the rest.
    You see in aFFXI,having better gear or higher numbers can be a detriment because combat is/was all about the group  as a whole and NOT the individual.

So wtf am i talking about?Well if a healer does such high healing it over powers the dps and or tank and or other healer/s they draw hate/aggression and that can be death IF the game /combat is difficult and not just doing some fly by night errands.
    It is also another reason i don't like games utilizing plate healers,it ruins the integrity of the combat and the players.
    A healer should be well versed in how much healing they can do and they should be at risk so as to NOT spam healing,there should ALWAYS be risk versus reward.
    EQ and even WoW were like this as well originally.  I'm not sure about AoC or DAOC as I never played either.  FFXI wasn't the only game where you had to manage aggro very carefully.  The main reason I didn't stick with FFXI very long was that I felt the combat solo was a bit dull.  The multiclass was neat, but the actual combat was even slower than EQ and in the original EQ combat was pretty slow.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,421
    I can't even remember the game.  But I remember being yelled at for someone dying because they were dumb and it ended my desire to ever become a pure healer.  I only could play off healer types. 

I usually play the healer when I play with family in COOP RPG's though.  I wish they made more of them.
    You failed the thick skin test :)
    Vermillion_Raventhal
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,099
    Iselin said:

I have thick skin.  I have little tolerance for that kind of game play.  
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,512
    Iselin said:

I have thick skin.  I have little tolerance for that kind of game play.  

When we can play Pantheon, the content will be hard, to what degree is not yet known.  If it's anything like the streaming videos, very hard and people will die a lot. 

This may be a natural occurrence (I'm fine with that).  I'm afraid much of this could be pined on the healer depending on the players.  Players don't laugh if off like the developers playing as friends in the videos !!