Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i be free please?

2»

Comments

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708
    edited May 2018
    mgilbrtsn said:
    The fact is that many say they don't want quests.  However, a lot of games that come out with no to few quests get slammed for not providing enough content.  Sometimes being accused of laziness.

Of course there is a population for it, but it's a small subset, and I don't believe there are enough to split between a lot of different MMOs like there are with tradititional quest based systems.
    well the thing with audience predictability, which reveals the futility and ignorance of most market "experts", is that it ignores the possibility that a new ingenious game stirs things, changes existing audience's minds, finds new slices... so it's a question of thinking everything always stays the same or "believe" in unpredictable mutations.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think you need to look for a different game, SotA is not for you and maybe posting the thread in The Pub would be a better idea as you would get more input.

There are a couple of survival MMOs out there that might be more to your taste. But really good sandboxes are rare unfortunately. 
  • GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708
    edited May 2018
    Scot said:
    I think you need to look for a different game, SotA is not for you and maybe posting the thread in The Pub would be a better idea as you would get more input.

There are a couple of survival MMOs out there that might be more to your taste. But really good sandboxes are rare unfortunately. 
    you're probably right. as I watch new tutorials on youtube, I see the game seems very much quest centred, at least in the beginning.

But I do like the depth of interaction, there's a LOT of UO there, a lot of items to be touched and manipulated, there's no dropping an object and a window pops with "you're about to destroy your item", and there's no exclamation mark, which is always the clear sign of a WoW clone.

Also even though it's deeply story-focused, there is no accept/decline button and reward list, which I hate almost as much as the exclamation mark, there's a simple journal entry. So it's done very differently, especially compared to Tabula Rasa.

I must confess I like it, there's deep parser text insertion, like full phrases and questions, there's deep environmental interaction. i won't play unless they do away with quests, but i like it.

I don't get it, why do ppl criticize it? Sure, there seems to be deep instancing, which sucks, and the minimap thing is ridiculous, but aside from these things, it's UO.
    Post edited by Gylfi on
  • ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Legends of Aria , steam release soon. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    Can "I" be capitalised please? :)
    They ran out of them at the font store....

;)
    PhryScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gylfi said:
    i just saw a few review tutorials of some guys' experiences with the game, and i'm pleasantly surprised with the degree of interactivity in the game.  Apart from the parser interface with the NPC's for conversation, which i'm clearly fond of being an old Sierra games and text adventures fan, i also like the intelligence and depth given in objects and environment manipulation, and possibly in the difficulty and challenges in solving quests i think i spied, because i was pleased at seeing the dumb player mad and bored, so it's a good sign, like when lab rats sleep or something. The quests seem to be made for smart persons, not the typical today's action and violence console-accessibility maniacs.

Too bad, then, that there ARE quests at all, and what seems to be unacceptable instancing, making the game not really a virtual world.

But aside from that, i'm very pleased at seeing there's way more UO than i thought.
    Which is why you'll likely miss out on playing some games you might enjoy. 

There will always be those one or two features which make the game unacceptable,  even if it gets 50 more right to your tastes.

I should know, very guilty of this practice, which is why I haven't even tried (or gone back to) some of the most popular titles other people enjoy 

I won't try SotA because of.....reasons, same for Bless, BDO, ESO, Darkfall, Soulworker, Destiny 2, Warframe etc. etc.

Doesn't matter really what the reasons are, I paint myself into a corner which I really should learn to get the heck out of.

But I don't because, you know....reasons. 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Yes, you can be free here. Just to be sure, try the Trial, then "welcome aboard."

The three starter areas are very quest heavy due to the number of people who were totally lost before they existed.

"What do I do now? Give me some guidance."

So the developers have tried to get the new players on their feet with these quests and areas, and have succeeded to a certain degree.

But you don't need to participate at all. Or you can. If you liked old adventure games then there are some doozy quests in Shroud that are going to stump you, and it sounds like you'll enjoy. These would never fly in a theme park, they are way too hard.

Heck, there are times you finish a "quest" by picking something up on your journeys, and you were never on the quest in the first place. You happen to find the person that it belongs to later (perhaps) and give it to them, and now you've finished that "quest." Was it even a quest? At some point the meaning starts to get fuzzy.

Or, as I said, skip the questing entirely. Get involved with a guild and build up their town. Head out into adventure areas and just do what's going on out there. You will probably accidentally finish some "quests" out there too, because you followed some clues written on a wall and out of curiosity decided to see where it would take you.

The new Penmawr Island "quest", I hear is quite great as well as difficult. Someone was talking about it taking him and his guildmates about 5 hours to finish, but they did it. I was there during the QA cycle and testing that island, and got an idea of what was going on, but never got a "Go do this and discover what was going on" message. I also didn't finish, I'll be back though, my curiosity is peaked.

Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

But a warning, it's easy to be standing in the middle of the world of opportunities going "What the heck do I do?" You're going to have to figure it out.
    Diabhual