Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Further Thoughts on Summerset - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageElder Scrolls Online - Further Thoughts on Summerset - MMORPG.com

ESO’s latest expansion is roaring along on the PTS, and this week I’m continuing my thoughts on the new content. As I continued to delve deeper into Summerset and all its new chapter glory, I felt overall my satisfaction peaked. I don’t mean that in a negative way, in fact I am happy at where it peaked. I’m overall happy with how Summerset came and how it was designed. With that being said, let’s go into a little more detail this time on what made the journey as fun as it has been.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    How is ESO doing these days? I stopped playing right around the time of free to play...
    Hardly anyone streams it anymore.
    Occultical
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's probably the second most played MMORPG behind the Usual King of All MMOs.
    JamesGoblinJammer480SlyLoKklash2defOcculticalCazrielTeala

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

cesmode8 said:

How is ESO doing these days? I stopped playing right around the time of free to play...

It seems to be doing ok. I recently came back and the population seems about the same as it was when I left, perhaps a bit more. Nothing like launch but I imagine some folks like me returned for the upcoming expansions and to try out the Morrowind expansion they missed.
    JamesGoblinJammer480AlomarOccultical
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    This.

I played on both the PS4 and the PC servers recently and the entire time I had trouble finding any area that wasn't populated with players on both servers. It was great. People everywhere. On the PC version I joined a random guild and they had 85 people online. It was nice seeing such an active community. 
    JamesGoblinJammer480Occultical
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

You think so? GW2? Ive been streaming a lot of skyforge lately, but looking to stream something new in the MMO world.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    If you already own the base game, the Summerset Standard Edition is priced at $29.99 :)
    JamesGoblinOzmodan

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

cesmode8 said:

You think so? GW2? Ive been streaming a lot of skyforge lately, but looking to stream something new in the MMO world.

I'm pretty sure the Usual King of All MMOs is a reference to WoW.

ESO feels more populated than GW2 right now on PC but it might just be that ESO players are more actives (aka chat/PUG more) and less segregated (GW2 level based content design, F2P vs expac content access, the areas like the Queen Terrasse, etc). My comparison is based on having played GW2 since January and only switching to ESO 2 weeks ago.
    azarhal said:

cesmode8 said:

I'm pretty sure the Usual King of All MMOs is a reference to WoW.

ESO feels more populated than GW2 right now on PC but it might just be that ESO players are more actives (aka chat/PUG more) and less segregated (GW2 level based content design, F2P vs expac content access, the areas like the Queen Terrasse, etc). My comparison is based on having played GW2 since January and only switching to ESO 2 weeks ago.
    Most GW2 players log in and get together at reset for the dailies and world events, primetime like myself. The rest of the time they are spread out all over the huge map.
    Octagon7711
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I'll be honest I didnt read the article, but went straight to comment section lol. With that in mind if people wait a year I'll be added to ESO+ or crown store like they are doing with morrowind. This has got some of the community upset due to promises or what was said about Chapters vs DLC. When it comes to Zos nothing is limited edition anymore from what I can tell. They are offering everything that was suppose to be limited edition for Vvardenfell (Morrowind) to the crown store later this year. You can buy just the region or warden class plus all the extra that came with it when it was announced.

I'm sure some of you are like, this is about summerset who cares about Morrowind -- reason im bringing this up is like I stated above It'll be available in a year or so to ESO+ or crown store purchases if they continue this business model. So, to answers others questions is it worth it? For me it is not due to this factor for others if you want to go in with the crowd and explore when its new *ahem* and buggy area go ahead. :)

Oh another reason I'm not getting it straight away is um... I hate Altmers hehe. Go Khajiit!
    Jammer480

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    cesmode8 said:
    Again, calling this game free to play is a misnomer.  More like a free to try game that really needs the sub-option to flower.  The free to play option is very limiting and makes crafting a no go option.

As to Somerset, there is a lot of content in this expansion.  I do not see any of my characters benefiting from the Psijic skill line at this point in time, but that decision probably needs more exploration.
  • Jammer480Jammer480 Member CommonPosts: 2

I started my 12th character the other day, expecting to have a quiet time in the starting zone, but the place was crowded, almost as bad as day 1, which was 3 yrs ago. I'm part of 5 guilds(max) and they each have 30 - 50+ people active every night, always people to run dungeons/trials/pvp with.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Jammer480 said:

I started my 12th character the other day, expecting to have a quiet time in the starting zone, but the place was crowded, almost as bad as day 1, which was 3 yrs ago. I'm part of 5 guilds(max) and they each have 30 - 50+ people active every night, always people to run dungeons/trials/pvp with.
    As far as population goes the major benefit of mega-servers is grouping population. That said ESO seems to have some population "whereever you go" which suggests it is indeed doing well.

As to the "king" of mmos? Worldwide certainly when it comes to subs, when it comes to concurrent players maybe. The very, very last set of financial info specific to WoW that AB put out though suggested that subs were in the low 3M mark. Given how well the film did in China vs. everywhere else for example .... a reasonable assumption that many of those were in China. 

Now given that neither ESO nor GW2 have no subscription these games could have a lot of players. ESO in particular as higher sales numbers have been announced.

So in the west only ..... can we be sure that WoW is "king". (Ignoring mmo-ish games like Destiny etc. etc. of course).
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    gervaise1 said:
    Jammer480 said:

As far as population goes the major benefit of mega-servers is grouping population. That said ESO seems to have some population "whereever you go" which suggests it is indeed doing well.

As to the "king" of mmos? Worldwide certainly when it comes to subs, when it comes to concurrent players maybe. The very, very last set of financial info specific to WoW that AB put out though suggested that subs were in the low 3M mark. Given how well the film did in China vs. everywhere else for example .... a reasonable assumption that many of those were in China. 

Now given that neither ESO nor GW2 have no subscription these games could have a lot of players. ESO in particular as higher sales numbers have been announced.

So in the west only ..... can we be sure that WoW is "king". (Ignoring mmo-ish games like Destiny etc. etc. of course).

no matter the numbers, which we have none, the influence of WoW on the market makes us say yes.  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    About that jewelry crafting thing...

They've put themselves in a bit of bind because as the game currently plays before Summerset they use gold and purple jewelry drops as a way to differentiate rewards from more difficult content.

For example: if you run a dungeon in normal difficulty, you get blue drops and if you do it in vet difficulty you get purple and gold jewelry only drops from hard mode trials.

So in order to keep those rewards relevant they have decided to make upgrading jewelry quite a chore by requiring 10X the number of upgrade tempers to improve blue to purple or purple to gold.

Two problems with that approach:

1. This extra grind only applies to jewelry since improvements of weapon and armor whose color is also used to reward increased difficulty can be improved with 1/10th the effort compared to jewelry and those slots are no more nor less important than jewelry for gearing up.
    2. They didn't stop with just upgrades of blue to purple or purple to gold. They decided that all improvements for all jewelry whether dropped or crafted would be subject to the same 10X tax. Even making a ring you craft green will have this 10X thing on it.

What this does in fact is that it makes the one part of jewelry crafting everyone, not just the elite players, was looking forward to, crafting your own for sets that never had jewelry for them and consequently made crafted sets inherently inferior to all the dropped sets that do include jewelry, a royal grindy pain in the ass.

They are either unwittingly or by design keeping crafted sets as 2nd class sets by that one move.

In case you don't understand what that 10X thing is I'm talking about I'll try to explain it. Currently when you craft weapons or armor yourself you need to use one stone to give it one of the all important traits such as infused, nirnhoned, etc. You get these stones sometimes from harvesting nodes but mostly from refining raw materials. What they're doing with jewelry crafting is not giving you stones (except as an extremely rare RNG result.) You instead get grains that you need to combine 10 of to make one stone.

Same thing with the upgrade tempers you get by refining" you get grains that you need 10 of to make one upgrade temper.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinrertezSlyLoKpantaro[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

cesmode8 said:

You've missed the part where the game didn't go F2P. Or at least I see it cost ~$35 for the base game + a hundred more $$$ for add-ons.

Thank you for your time!

cesmode8 said:
    One more thing to add here. They added level rewards and will soon be adding log in rewards. You get lots of crown store goodies to try for free. When I left there were no level rewards which to be honest makes leveling so much easier. It gives you a good incentive to keep leveling since mobs scale.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll wait on Summerset. I still have a lot of content to finish up on and by that time it'll be on sale. Plus I don't look forward to adding more skills I can't use on my skill bar because of lack of space.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I've bought Summerset and tried it for a bit on PTS. It isn't hooking me sadly. It really is just more of the same. Good quest presentation but they really are all the same thing all over again with no variety. 

I subbed for 3 months as well planning to really get into it. It's just making me want to play other MMOs though.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    ESO is awesome the dev team are amazing they keep delivering hit after hit imo.

As to the author's opinion, don't play pvp if you don't like change. It's a well known fact and common practice for developers to go through and make changes to balance constantly.

If it were up to me, I would eliminate PVP from every mmo or I would make pvp a completely separate game so as to make the PVE experience balanced and fun!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    3dom said:

cesmode8 said:

You've missed the part where the game didn't go F2P. Or at least I see it cost ~$35 for the base game + a hundred more $$$ for add-ons.
    I will assume you have never played ESO. And missed the part were many of the "DLCs" rolled into the base game? (Unless you knew about this and were trying to mislead?) 

For $10 you can get a huge game. Many months of content. For $20 or maybe $35 an even bigger game. There are different editions just search on Amazon.

Now yes Zen will be very happy if people spend huge amounts of money on mounts, costumes, houses and so forth. Basic content though - a lot can be had for very little. New content however will have to be bought one way or another because you are correct that its not f2p its b2p.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited May 2018
    i believe if u pre order summerset youll get morrwind with it if you dont already have it This is from gmg with the sumerset uprade. Existing players can upgrade their current game to unlock the new The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset content. Pre-purchase the Upgrade Edition and receive The Queen’s Bounty Pack pre-order bonus content, plus get access to a bonus copy of The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind Chapter* and the Nightmare Senche Mount. *Bonus Morrowind content is for players who do not already own ESO: Morrowind
    gervaise1
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2018

Yeah eso isn't bad story wise but there really still isn't any point tohousing and good character customization compared to BDO.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I consider ESO more of a Online Story mmo. It leans more towards SWTOR. There's almost no need to group up for anything in the open world. (except Cyrodiil) I haven't seen/heard/read anything that is at least aimed at social interaction in Summerset.
    [Deleted User]RenoakuViper482
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2018

Keller said:

I consider ESO more of a Online Story mmo. It leans more towards SWTOR. There's almost no need to group up for anything in the open world. (except Cyrodiil) I haven't seen/heard/read anything that is at least aimed at social interaction in Summerset.

Storyline is great, although I wish they would add things like Forsworn armor, and housing / decor based around Skyrim and stuff, and make the game feel more like a actual MMORPG with being able to do things with the housing and everything it feels like too much Solo based, not really a MMO, but I like the story of the game it's just not enough to keep me there given house spaced out it is between leveling and doing story content.
    ysquare21
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited May 2018

Ozmodan said:

cesmode8 said:

Again, calling this game free to play is a misnomer.  More like a free to try game that really needs the sub-option to flower.  The free to play option is very limiting and makes crafting a no go option.

As to Somerset, there is a lot of content in this expansion.  I do not see any of my characters benefiting from the Psijic skill line at this point in time, but that decision probably needs more exploration.

Couldn't disagree more. Yes, you need to buy DLCs and chapters but the game can be played perfectly well as a f2p title. I have played ESO since Beta and once they dropped the mandatory sub, so did I. I LOVE crafting in ESO and have no problem doing so without the crafting bag. Why would not having one make crafting a no go? It wasn't there for the entire first year and people managed just fine. Convenient? Yes. Necessary? Nope.
    Renoaku said:

Yeah eso isn't bad story wise but there really still isn't any point tohousing and good character customization compared to BDO.
    You think so? I think it has plenty character cutomization. There are so many armor and weapon types and motifs, including costumes and dying. Or do you mean skills?