Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Year Anniversary!!

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
It's the 2 year anniversary of the Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter! (Well in 2 days it will be)

Go back in time to those days.   Remember how the game was supposed to launch back in Q4 2017?
How many of you, honestly... thought that we would be sitting here in May 2018 and not even have entered Alpha yet?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

WellspringJamesGoblinOctagon7711Gdemami

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Time flies... when you're raising funds ! :wink:
    Slapshot1188KyleranVrikaScotWellspringJamesGoblinOctagon7711
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2018
    I had doubts, their plans were very ambitious during the KSer and they didn't really have a team yet. 

Having seen how CU struggled at first to get properly staffed, it did not inspire confidence that progress would be rapid. 

WellspringJamesGoblinOctagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Didn't think for a second that it would launch in that time (at least not in any sort of polished state)... but yeah, would have expected something playable by now.
    JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    acidblood said:
    Didn't think for a second that it would launch in that time (at least not in any sort of polished state)... but yeah, would have expected something playable by now.
    Yeah that's kind of how I felt.  I knew there was no chance in hell that they could launch in 2017... no matter what Caspien's gantt charts said... but I figured they would be well into testing by this point.  
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Celebrating the anniversary of a Kickstarter? This is a thing? Is this a serious post or mocking? Cause either way it made me laugh.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited May 2018
    Tiller said:
    Celebrating the anniversary of a Kickstarter? This is a thing? Is this a serious post or mocking? Cause either way it made me laugh.

There a big thread on their forums that made me chuckle... To "celebrate" one of the Kings was having lunch sent over for the team so that they could keep coding without disruption :)

In a strange coincidence (or is it...) Ashes of Creation just sent out some Emails commemorating their 1st Kickstarter Anniversary...

Funny stuff!

PS: It also turns out that one of their Rank 10 supporters is such a fan of my posts here that he is incorporating my Harbinger avatar in his.  Good stuff!

JamesGoblin

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited May 2018
    I'd rather have them release a more polished game later than have a Bug fest now. I'm glad they didn't release nor even started Alpha yet. Keep polishing, make it better.

The people that complain about why it's not released yet or in any Alpha or Beta stage are the same people that would complain if it were released already with Bugs that make it unplayable.

Keep up the good work SBS. 
    Slapshot1188holdenfiveNepheth

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Avanah said:

The people that complain about why it's not released yet or in any Alpha or Beta stage are the same people that would complain if it were released already with Bugs that make it unplayable.

What type of person would NOT complain about a game that was released "with Bugs that make it unplayable"?

It's mind boggling to think that some people actually would not complain, but you are probably correct.  Some would accept an unplayable game and cheer at the progress every time it became less unplayable.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Change is inevitable....but if change is like this, can we not simply change it back? That's been the line for the mmorpg genre for the past decade.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Most people understood that there was no chance in hell that the game would be done in two years, some of the people defending the project said that the timeframe was unrealistic. My thoughts on the project two years ago can be summed up by three quotes but you could simply replace CoE with any other kickstarter developer that promises the world on a non-existing game budget.

"I'm almost certain that CoE will be in development in 2020 and still be far away from an official release."

"Fast-forward 1.5 years in the future and you have the standard excuses of development being hard and that these things take time."

"What I find troubling is that they will still lack the capital on finishing the project, instead they rely on investors climbing on-board after they showed a proper build to them. If that doesn't happen they will rely on their fans to gather more funds"

Slapshot1188
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Make a full ground breaking MMO in an year.. ?

Did I think there was a chance? No

In fact I do not expect CoE to launch till around 2020.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    The last dev journal was so dog shit, I'm glad no one made a separate thread about it

This is two year's worth of work
    Slapshot1188
    OrangeBoy said:
    The last dev journal was so dog shit, I'm glad no one made a separate thread about it

I know right? Notable development  progress fot the last month...a "4 hour" stream of Caspian programming the KSer rewards site.

Lulz.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:

I know right? Notable development  progress fot the last month...a "4 hour" stream of Caspian programming the KSer rewards site.

Lulz.
    I expect them to soon announce that they are opening “VoxElyria” to the highest donors.  It will be under NDA and likely simply consist of moving your Creepers around in a Minecraft environment.  Probably a few dozen people.  This will be hailed as a great success and major milestone and be accompanied by a made up “Lore” event to support a limited time sale.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Although abitious, I chose to trust SBS at their word when they said it would be launched in Q4 2017. After all, Caspian was very adamant at the time that it was very much achievable. 

If you don't believe the studio's promises in one area, how can you believe them in any of others? It doesn't make sense to me that anyone would back the KS knowing the release date was a lie from the start. 

And after they missed launch, I decided to no longer be a backer. 
    Slapshot1188IceAgeKyleranOctagon7711Gdemami
    --------------------------------------------
    Although abitious, I chose to trust SBS at their word when they said it would be launched in Q4 2017. After all, Caspian was very adamant at the time that it was very much achievable. 

If you don't believe the studio's promises in one area, how can you believe them in any of others? It doesn't make sense to me that anyone would back the KS knowing the release date was a lie from the start. 

And after they missed launch, I decided to no longer be a backer. 
    That is an amazingly insightful post. 
    KyleranOctagon7711

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I expect them to soon announce that they are opening “VoxElyria” to the highest donors.  It will be under NDA and likely simply consist of moving your Creepers around in a Minecraft environment.  Probably a few dozen people.  This will be hailed as a great success and major milestone and be accompanied by a made up “Lore” event to support a limited time sale.
    rofl - you use the same con tricks as a cheap psychic pretending to see into the future

you have claimed in the past that you have access to all the NDA/Exclusive access info

this being the case:

you KNOW that they are opening "VoxElyria" to Alpha I backers

it won't "likely" simply consist of moving your creepers around, you KNOW that it has clearly been stated that will be the case

you KNOW it is a minecraft like environment

you KNOW it will initially be to a very small test group 

you KNOW that yes it will be chalked down as another significant step towards development of the game

you also KNOW that you have intentionally left out a bunch of the other NDA stuff that was in that announcement and Q&A which for obvious reasons i can't share, and which explains the reason for the initially small group, and why it is a significant step

you also know that by making a statement like you made, you set up the stage like any good con man, to make it look like you have some amazing insight into the industry and can predict the next moves of the devs

taking NDA stuff and saying you 'expect' or it is 'likely' when you know it is certain is nothing other than a con job on your part

what is hilarious is that you accuse the man with the gantt charts to be a con artist when you yourself are pulling off the scam of 'predicting' the future when you already have information about it - too funny

am glad i now only check in here every week or two since until this thread was created (same typical 'they promised the game would be out in dec 2017' being puked up each time) it looks like  there were 2-3 posts in the last 2-3 weeks

'psychic' drama queen stirring with wooden spoons as usual

i'll catch you in a week or two and enjoy reading your response, because i expect you will make one, and it is likely to be dismissive - wow - look, i can see into the future also, and i didn't have to have access to NDA material to do so - AMAZING!

Slapshot1188Panther2103JamesGoblinKyleranmystichazeNephethAshyLarry24Tekkon
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Could you please call Slap a con man a few more times?

Cause I'm still not quite sure what you were trying to tell us...
    MendelSlapshot1188WellspringJamesGoblin
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:

As always... when in doubt try to make Slapshot the issue :)

Happy 2 year Kickstarter Anniversary!!!

WellspringJamesGoblin

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Is there an estimate for when it's actually coming out? I didn't realize they tried to say it was launching in 2017, that would have been insane. 

This game sounds like a good idea, but it seems like it wont be out until 2030.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Dakeru said:

As always... when in doubt try to make Slapshot the issue :)

Happy 2 year Kickstarter Anniversary!!!

Should we really be celebrating an anniversary of a Kickstarter program, or mourning the loss of the contributors money?  I know.  Black armbands and party hats!

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Read the thread title, thought: Who else but Slapshot? Wasn't disappointed.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Slapshot1188KyleranUngood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    rofl - you use the same con tricks as a cheap psychic pretending to see into the future

you have claimed in the past that you have access to all the NDA/Exclusive access info

this being the case:

you KNOW that they are opening "VoxElyria" to Alpha I backers

it won't "likely" simply consist of moving your creepers around, you KNOW that it has clearly been stated that will be the case

you KNOW it is a minecraft like environment

you KNOW it will initially be to a very small test group 

you KNOW that yes it will be chalked down as another significant step towards development of the game

you also KNOW that you have intentionally left out a bunch of the other NDA stuff that was in that announcement and Q&A which for obvious reasons i can't share, and which explains the reason for the initially small group, and why it is a significant step

you also know that by making a statement like you made, you set up the stage like any good con man, to make it look like you have some amazing insight into the industry and can predict the next moves of the devs

taking NDA stuff and saying you 'expect' or it is 'likely' when you know it is certain is nothing other than a con job on your part

what is hilarious is that you accuse the man with the gantt charts to be a con artist when you yourself are pulling off the scam of 'predicting' the future when you already have information about it - too funny

am glad i now only check in here every week or two since until this thread was created (same typical 'they promised the game would be out in dec 2017' being puked up each time) it looks like  there were 2-3 posts in the last 2-3 weeks

'psychic' drama queen stirring with wooden spoons as usual

i'll catch you in a week or two and enjoy reading your response, because i expect you will make one, and it is likely to be dismissive - wow - look, i can see into the future also, and i didn't have to have access to NDA material to do so - AMAZING!

I'm not sure if you know what does con man mean. Slap can be labeled as a hater, liar, nagger, maligner, vilifier, mud slinger, scolder, even an old lady with no sex life. But not as a con man because he's not planning to take our money. 
    Slapshot1188
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2018
    Avanah said:
    I'd rather have them release a more polished game later than have a Bug fest now. I'm glad they didn't release nor even started Alpha yet. Keep polishing, make it better.
    ...how do you "keep polishing" when there isn't anything, not even an alpha (heck, not even a tech demo), to polish yet?  Oo
    Slapshot1188KyleranOctagon7711SpottyGekko
    Tiamat64 said:
    Avanah said:
    ...how do you "keep polishing" when there isn't anything, not even an alpha (heck, not even a tech demo), to polish yet?  Oo
    I think many would be thrilled if the game really was in a needs "polishing" stage,  heck playable alpha by backers like Crowfall or even Pantheon's $1K testers program would be great.

But two years in and there is very little to show yet.
    Slapshot1188WellspringInteritus