Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ascension

FarulosonothFarulosonoth Member UncommonPosts: 107

The original UO was awesome.  I was looking forward to what this one might be like.

But the deciding factor was one interview I watched where it was explained how you have multiple characters and as you reach Ascension with each one, you then make a new one that gets a power of a virtue from the ascended one. 

Its a very cool and original idea, just not for me.

For me I have to pick one MMORPG, and in that one MMORPG, I need to concentrate on one character for the most part. I just dont like this idea and it is why I will be passing on UX:O , sad to say. I have been an Ultima fan from IV up to UO and backwards to I.  After beta testing Horizons, EQ2 is looking better and better.

Greetings and Farewell.

Achiever 86% - Killer 60% - Explorer 46% - Socializer 6%

Comments

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

I don't know.  I always hated the level crawl that came with games like EQ and DAOC.  And then, when players get high level, they continue to play those high level characters and soon, everyone in the game has a 40 or 50th level character.

This system that UOX is proposing seems like a good idea.  Gives you a reason to start a new character.  It will also allow them to make the level crawl a little less wearisome, since there is a good chance you will start another character and not quit after you get your one character to top level.

That is the problem games like EQ face.  When I get my character to 55th level, there is no way I am going to decide to start that crazy level crawl again.  So, Verant (makers of EQ) have to add more and more content for high level characters.  SO, what eventually happens is there is very little content for lower level players and more and more for higher level players.

So now, there REALLY is no way I will start a new character, and there is no way new players will join, or at least they won't stay around for long because there isn't much content for them.

This UOX system give people a reason to start over and gives the UOX team a chance to not make the level crawl take so long.  I am hoping that is what they will do, or people will feel just like you.  "I put sooooo much time into this character, I do not want to start another one".

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Maybe the thing is to make the game not so much totally centered on the leveling part, and more on the gameplay part. If you can make a game where leveling surprises you because you were having fun and not watching your exp, then you'll be on to something.

EQ was like that for me to start with, but by the time you are hitting level 40 for the 3rd or 4th time, you find yourself checking the exp bar every kill to make sure it is moving, even if you are in a zone that you didn't do the last 2 or 3 times around. I had a UI that had % exp, and I would drive my husband to distraction with kill-by-kill updates: "19% into the level, 81% to go...*kill*... 20% into the level, 80% to go..." image  And that's pretty much when I knew it was time to quit. That, and I couldn't find anything fun to do when I finally did get to 65... Kinda made me wonder what the point of all that leveling was.

I like the UXO idea, but I have always been one to play multiple characters, so it's just bonus to me.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• Se_arSe_ar Member Posts: 74
    I personally like the idea, it gives players and actual chance to ascend for one, for second, it gives players a bit more curiosity about the game: "I wonder what virtue this one'll get?" Yet there's bound to be some kind of drawback to it, I just haven't saw it yet image

The sword of light illuminates the dark. I am that light.

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673
    I think it sounds pretty cool. Especially since (I believe this is what I read) when you finally ascend you are insanely powerful. The way they make it sound, when you finally ascend it's a bit different then most MMORPGs. Instead of hitting level 99 you become like a legendary hero, like Gilgamesh or Hercules image.

-=MMORPG.COM Staff=-
    E-mail: [email protected]

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

I like the plan, it gives incentive for people to start new characters when they "max" their main, rather than just continueing to play that one cause they don't wanna go thru the level crawl again. DAoC tried something along those lines with the /20 and /30 system, which was a start, but wasn't quite enough.

Kunou
    GM - Desolation
    www.desolation-guild.org/genforum

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

ascension sounds too easy though... theres gonna be ascended people all over the place! "hey guys! i ascended today!" "yea big deal, i have with 3 chars in 2 weeks! l0053R!"

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• GravelboneGravelbone Member Posts: 15
    Don't know if you were aware of this or not, but you can only have 1 ascended character, the rest are desciples.  Not putting ya down and I share that same concern that you expressed, just letting ya know that it won't be possible to have them all reach Avatar status.

• ArxonArxon Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Se_ar
    I personally like the idea, it gives players and actual chance to ascend for one, for second, it gives players a bit more curiosity about the game: "I wonder what virtue this one'll get?" Yet there's bound to be some kind of drawback to it, I just haven't saw it yet image

Downside is that once you've managed to achieve avatar status, You have worked your character to it's highest level, and it would be pointless to go back to your weaker characters.  Especially since you can't ever achieve avatar status with any of your desciples.

"Can't... Sleep... The Carebears... Will get... Their way..."

Originally posted by SatansDisciple

ascension sounds too easy though... theres gonna be ascended people all over the place! "hey guys! i ascended today!" "yea big deal, i have with 3 chars in 2 weeks! l0053R!"
    "This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

Well, in order to have more than one avatar you would need more than one account.  As your account only allows for one avatar and 8 desciples.  9 slots total.  Though any desciple could get to level 139, only your main avatar can get to level 140.

• ConstantineConstantine Member Posts: 36
    I read something about possibly being able to summon your disciples to do things when you're playing your Avatar, so maybe if you continue to level your disciples after you become an Avatar, they get stronger when you summon them. Or, since each one follows one of the virtues, the higher their level, the stronger their devotion to that virtue and the original character, which somehow makes your Avatar even stronger.

Originally posted by Constantine
    I read something about possibly being able to summon your disciples to do things when you're playing your Avatar, so maybe if you continue to level your disciples after you become an Avatar, they get stronger when you summon them. Or, since each one follows one of the virtues, the higher their level, the stronger their devotion to that virtue and the original character, which somehow makes your Avatar even stronger.

I've heard this as a rumor, but haven't seen anything concrete from a dev that would lead this to be true... Not that it makes a difference to me either way.