Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games shutting down on June 5th ?

1235»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    xpsync said:
    Word of caution for anyone with CC info with them, i'd be canceling and/or removing all that info, hate to be unable to after the fact in case anything does happen.

This kinda bit Daybreak in the butt, we've apparently had all the wrong info of what happened after SOE washed their hands of them, but did they let us know, guess that shows how much we matter to them.
    Time for another classic video.

;)

xpsyncScotchUp

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Daybreak is trying to say they were never affiliated. Possible PR move. It sounds like all they need to do is sell off Viktor Vekselberg's shares. Which, sounds like they did do.
  • DragonJockeyDragonJockey Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Daybreak is working hard deleting discussions about this on their forums. On the everquest forum, veteran discussions section, they just deleted a 3 page discussion about this...gone without a trace. 
    xpsync
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    i hope they will go down:P just for sake of everquest and i hope some1 else will pick it up later

I agree, but even if that were to happen, the same issues which plagued those games will still be present, the devs.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited April 2018
    Daybreak is working hard deleting discussions about this on their forums. On the everquest forum, veteran discussions section, they just deleted a 3 page discussion about this...gone without a trace. 
    Bet they regret not being much more forthright from day one of the changing of the guard instead of leaving us with incorrect information all these years. If even true, that's the problem with them, they cried wolf far too much.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    edited April 2018
    Golelorn said:
    It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Daybreak is trying to say they were never affiliated. Possible PR move. It sounds like all they need to do is sell off Viktor Vekselberg's shares. Which, sounds like they did do.
    No, not a PR move, just a very necessary one if Daybreak truly is not "owned" by CN and the sanctioned individuals or organizations as defined by the OFAC 50% Rule.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5cce89bf-e293-42d7-9d6f-45f259120842

Without these very public declarations the Sanctions order not only prevents other companies and banks from doing business with Daybreak after the provisions of License 12 /13 expire, (which appears to be 60 days after Apr 6th) but the employees can't even show up for work.

Daybreak of course had better be able to back this up with truth, or people will be hauled to jail for obstruction.

This is much more serious than your average sanctions activity of drug lords or mob bosses, this is part of "National Security" and in the "war on terror" a lot of "rights" people normally have can be set aside, at least for a time. 

These are not people to be trifled with.

568. I am a U.S. person, and I am also an employee, or sit on the board, of an entity that was either designated under E.O. 13661 or E.O. 13662, or blocked by operation of law pursuant to OFAC’s 50 percent rule on April 6, 2018 as a result of such a designation.  Can I continue to be employed by or sit on the board of a blocked entity? What am I allowed to do with respect to severing ties with the entity?

Absent authorization from OFAC, your continued employment or board membership with such an entity is prohibited.  You should review the actions you view as necessary to sever your ties with the blocked entity against applicable OFAC regulations, authorizations, and public guidance.  If, after conducting that review, you decide that any of the contemplated activities necessary to sever the relationship are prohibited, you should apply for a specific license.  If you are unsure about whether authorization is required, contact OFAC.  [04-06-2018]

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Sanctions/Pages/faq_other.aspx#567

Mendelgervaise1

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2018
    Which is why I provided the actual guidelines, they may not have to if Jason E. can prove he really owns more than 50% of Daybreak (purchased prior to Apr 6th) and of course no longer sits on the CN Board. (Though he would just have to quit to be compliant)

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    .extraClassAspect{-webkit-transform:scaleX(1.34)!important;}.extraClassCrop{-webkit-transform:scale(1.34)!important;}I highly doubt even under perfect conditions DBG can sell before June 5th, as it is becoming somewhat obvious that the sale to DBG by Sony was a firesale and a bit dodgy, so how the heck is the company going to look more appealing than it did back then.

Even if the allegations of ownership and possible money laundering are found to be baseless that's some awful smelling mud stuck to that company name and no one is going to want to buy because they don't know what toxic crap is hidden in the company, the old adage of no smoke without fire kinda thing.

On top of all this the almost comical hamfisted naïve attempt to rewrite history is screaming to everyone panic mode and fishy.

It could be that ironically that brings them down.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    danwest58 said:
    No Daybreak would not shut down if the parent company goes down, however the parent company going down could hurt daybreak.

What would be nice here is if Daybreak was going to be broken up so that private studios could purchase the IPs of games like Everquest.  Then the new studio could make a new EQ game vs Daybreak which is just a venture capital company which sole design is to break up companies and sell them off piece meal.  
    It certainly can. That they will keep the games still earning money after expenses running is more or less a given but updates would suffer and forget new games if the owner goes down.

Besides, if worst comes to worst selling a game that makes profit is not that hard. But if you don't update the games they will eventually stop earning money so a closing of funds for the updates and expansions is really bad long term.
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    If this does mean the end of Daybreak, everyone should be thanking the Russians. Anyone whom plays their games know how toxic and arrogant they are. EQ and the DC IP where going nowhere under that toxicity anyway. They destroyed the EQ franchise, something I did not think was possible. Might as well finish off the DC IP.
    KyleranTheScavenger
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2018
    Loke666 said:
    danwest58 said:
    No Daybreak would not shut down if the parent company goes down, however the parent company going down could hurt daybreak.

What would be nice here is if Daybreak was going to be broken up so that private studios could purchase the IPs of games like Everquest.  Then the new studio could make a new EQ game vs Daybreak which is just a venture capital company which sole design is to break up companies and sell them off piece meal.  
    It certainly can. That they will keep the games still earning money after expenses running is more or less a given but updates would suffer and forget new games if the owner goes down.

Besides, if worst comes to worst selling a game that makes profit is not that hard. But if you don't update the games they will eventually stop earning money so a closing of funds for the updates and expansions is really bad long term.
    See @Kyleran 's post above that explains why DBG might close.

Now lets assume that the owner of record is Jason E. And owns at least 50%. That may - may - satisfy the initial deadline.

Some obvious questions will need to be answered. Including, but not limited to: why he (the owener!) plastered CN over basically everything; what was his "relationship" with CN - did / does he simply "own" CN on behalf of CN; who provided the funding for the purchase - did it comes out of his pockets or CNs; did Sony believe he was an agent of CN, did he represent himself as such? 

And with these type of questions hanging over DBG I suspect that if attempts were being made to sell the company it will be like trying to sell e.g. a painting suspected of being a forgery. In other words very tough.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This was not a mistake on a couple reddit posts or a you tube video,they were misrepresenting ownership EVERYWHERE.They claimed a subsidiary of CN al the time every time,that cannot be construed as a simple mistake,that was deliberate and on purpose.
    gervaise1Slapshot1188

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    gervaise1 said:

Now lets assume that the owner of record is Jason E. And owns at least 50%. That may - may - satisfy the initial deadline.

Some obvious questions will need to be answered. Including, but not limited to: why he (the owener!) plastered CN over basically everything; what was his "relationship" with CN - did / does he simply "own" CN on behalf of CN; who provided the funding for the purchase - did it comes out of his pockets or CNs; did Sony believe he was an agent of CN, did he represent himself as such? 

And with these type of questions hanging over DBG I suspect that if attempts were being made to sell the company it will be like trying to sell e.g. a painting suspected of being a forgery. In other words very tough.
    Selling the company would be hard at the moment but I don't think selling the games would be as hard. and the EQ license could also be sold. Yeah, it would probably be PWE that buys it in that case which wouldn't exactly be wonderful news but they are one of the few companies with money and motivation to still make MMOs.

In fact if DBG goes down they will try to sell any assets worth anything. 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited May 2018
    Nm wrong post.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    edited May 2018
    Loke666 said:
    gervaise1 said:

Selling the company would be hard at the moment but I don't think selling the games would be as hard. and the EQ license could also be sold. Yeah, it would probably be PWE that buys it in that case which wouldn't exactly be wonderful news but they are one of the few companies with money and motivation to still make MMOs.

In fact if DBG goes down they will try to sell any assets worth anything. 
    Actually...if they can't convince OFAC that they are not owned by the folks in the sanctions order and who therefore might profit from the sale no one in the US would be permitted to buy it.

Most other Western Nations tend to honor the Sanctions orders of fellow allies, but not always.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Nm wrong post.
    Yes, yes it was.....
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Brad Mcquaid should buy DBG games IPs