Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vikings?

karnivorkarnivor Member UncommonPosts: 29
edited March 2018 in Camelot Unchained
What the hell is this? https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b70fd18d895dd960141bac55/images/a121f8c2-99e0-4707-8a70-bc1f1210fd7c.jpg This is NOT a Viking sword whatsoever. Skulls? Cmon, no! And a crescent moon, very muslim, not very Viking.

This is what a Viking Sword looks like 

Arthurians have more in common with the Vikings. In Game of Throne it is NOT the Wildlings that are like the Vikings it is the IRONBORN.  If you can't see this then I dont know what your problem is.

Why can't they just change the name of the Viking faction to Barbarians or something and have Vikings one of the subraces? I am extremely dissapointed in their direction they are going with the Viking faction. Like having Male Valkyries for example. WTF is that?! That's even more retarded than having female dwarfs.
[Deleted User]JamesGoblinKyleranFearumGdemamitweedledumb99

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    It's not meant to be a historical accurate game man.
    Let them have some artistic freedom.

I think that sword looks pretty cool :)
    JamesGoblinKylerantweedledumb99Aragon100

..Cake..

• karnivorkarnivor Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited March 2018
    sgel said:

Then change the faction name. That is not much to ask. You can still keep Viking as a race. 

The Sword looks cool if you are some kind of muslim barbarian mix. Not for a Viking.
    KyleranDarkpigeontweedledumb99
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm cool with it personally. Whilst the Vikings might not have done such designs themselves, they did do an awful lot of raiding and pillaging, so not unthinkable that such a sword was looted and then customised. 
    JamesGoblinGdemami
    It's highly unthinkable in every way possible. I'm sorry, but those are the facts.
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    It is a game. Games are not history books. Put down the pipe please before posting.
    JamesGoblinFearumpantarotweedledumb99
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited March 2018
    karnivor said:
    What the hell is this? https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b70fd18d895dd960141bac55/images/a121f8c2-99e0-4707-8a70-bc1f1210fd7c.jpg This is NOT a Viking sword whatsoever. Skulls? Cmon, no! And a crescent moon, very muslim, not very Viking.

Arthurians have more in common with the Vikings. In Game of Throne it is NOT the Wildlings that are like the Vikings it is the IRONBORN.  If you can't see this then I dont know what your problem is.

Why can't they just change the name of the Viking faction to Barbarians or something and have Vikings one of the subraces? I am extremely dissapointed in their direction they are going with the Viking faction. Like having Male Valkyries for example. WTF is that?! That's even more retarded than having female dwarfs.
    yea, might be shocking to realize, but vikings had no mages either, actually, i don't think ANYONE ever had mages ^^

uh, and dwarves actually do have females. if you are into fantasy at least, if we argue reality again... don't call em dwarves. they don't like it, call em humans 

JamesGoblinBeezerbeeztweedledumb99

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:

yea, might be shocking to realize, but vikings had no mages either, actually, i don't think ANYONE ever had mages ^^

uh, and dwarves actually do have females. if you are into fantasy at least, if we argue reality again... don't call em dwarves. they don't like it, call em humans 

I see, you want to be edgy and stupid and try to derail the conversation with retarded nonsense. Why dont you try to attack my points instead? Is that too hard?
    BeezerbeezGdemamiDarkpigeontweedledumb99
    Letsinod said:
    It is a game. Games are not history books. Put down the pipe please before posting.
    Then dont use words from History. Blizzard games use stories from history but always change the names just just a little bit, to not cause this problem. For example, Odyn instead of Odin etc, there are literally thousands of examples just like that.
    GdemamiMarcus-Darkpigeon
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    He was just trying to point out that it's not a historical accurate game by giving you another example.

Hey maybe the vikings using the sword had looted it from some nekro-arabs they raided.
    Will that explanation work for you?
    JamesGoblin

..Cake..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited March 2018
    karnivor said:

Why do they need to if the game is an "alternate universe"?

This doesn't take place on "earth" as far as I can tell. The names help add flavor and help give the player something to grab on to but they aren't "the real vikings" or the "whatever".

I mean this is from their website:

"All the world was almost wiped out when the Veilstorms tore across the land, changing and breaking it apart. You live on, to rebuild and reconquer what remains. "

As far as I know, our dear planet never had one Veilstorm.

Doesn't this really fall under this ...

Also there is no such thing as 'the fantasy dwarf' so yes one can have female dwarves if they so choose. It's made up.

KyleranJamesGoblintweedledumb99
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    karnivor said:

This doesn't take place on "earth" as far as I can tell. The names help add flavor and help give the player something to grab on to but they aren't "the real vikings" or the "whatever".

"All the world was almost wiped out when the Veilstorms tore across the land, changing and breaking it apart. You live on, to rebuild and reconquer what remains. "

Its very simple really. You wanna have Vikings? Call Them Barbarians or Vykyngs or whatever. You wanna have Valkyries? Well dont make male Valkyries, then they are not really Valkyries anyway so why even call them Valkyries? Why just copy things straight off like that? Makes it look really cheap and unoriginal. I dont give a fuck if u wanna be edgy or change peoples perception of reality, maybe you're trying to piss conservatives off or something by having transvestites in your game, I dont really know what goes on your mind and neither do I give a fuck.

Its a game yes then make up your own story. Look at Blizzard, they copy things all the time but they dont just ripoff things like this atleast they change the names just a tiny bit. Its fine if you dont understand my point but if u are deliberatly trying to be an idiot because you're trying to defend your game by any means possible then your comments are starting to make more sense.
    DarkpigeonOnodrimtweedledumb99
    edited March 2018
    karnivor said:
    Sovrath said:
    karnivor said:

Its very simple really. You wanna have Vikings? Call Them Barbarians or Vykyngs or whatever. You wanna have Valkyries? Well dont make male Valkyries, then they are not really Valkyries anyway so why even call them Valkyries? Why just copy things straight off like that? Makes it look really cheap and unoriginal. I dont give a fuck if u wanna be edgy or change peoples perception of reality, maybe you're trying to piss conservatives off or something by having transvestites in your game, I dont really know what goes on your mind and neither do I give a fuck.

Its a game yes then make up your own story. Look at Blizzard, they copy things all the time but they dont just ripoff things like this atleast they change the names just a tiny bit. Its fine if you dont understand my point but if u are deliberatly trying to be an idiot because you're trying to defend your game by any means possible then your comments are starting to make more sense.
    Wizard.

And again, it's made up and it doesn't have to follow any rules other than its own internal logic/consistency.

True, Valkyries are very specifically female (female dwarves apparently are rare in folklore but there is mention of them) but "whatever" if I want to write something and decide there are male Valkyries then I need to make it so that it makes sense to the work. That's it.

so again "made up so doesn't matter". Or, if you prefer "wizard".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2018
    karnivor said:
    sgel said:
    He was just trying to point out that it's not a historical accurate game by giving you another example.

Hey maybe the vikings using the sword had looted it from some nekro-arabs they raided.
    Will that explanation work for you?
    [mod edit]
    Probably just better informed. Seems the Viking expansion did reach Muslim controlled areas and they traded with Arab peoples. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_expansion
    Post edited by Vaross on
    JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2018
    Sovrath said:
    karnivor said:
    Sovrath said:
    karnivor said:

Wizard.

And again, it's made up and it doesn't have to follow any rules other than its own internal logic/consistency.

True, Valkyries are very specifically female (female dwarves apparently are rare in folklore but there is mention of them) but "whatever" if I want to write something and decide there are male Valkyries then I need to make it so that it makes sense to the work. That's it.

Vikings are not made up. Valkyries and dwarfs are part of norse mythology so yes they are obviously made up. Doesnt change the fact that its a ripoff and it looks cheap when you dont invent your own names.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Bad news OP, appears in CU Vikings use bone in all of their weapons and armor,  and according to this guy, have the least logical armor in any realm.

It's a long watch, skip to last 10 minutes for the Viking part.

JamesGoblinkarnivor

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2018
    karnivor said:

Vikings are not made up. Valkyries and dwarfs are part of norse mythology so yes they are obviously made up. Doesnt change the fact that its a ripoff and it looks cheap when you dont invent your own names.
    Yes, that is correct, vikings aren't made up. But "news flash" this is not the first time in "ever" that there has been a re-imagining of something.

This is really more about you writhing in your seat because things aren't aligning to your very strict, unyielding thinking for a game that's not trying to be historically accurate.

It's a re-imagining of vikings. You can either say "ok whatever" or you can blow a virtual gasket. I'm going to bet it's not the first time that Vikings or any other group of people were created in a different light.

Come to think of it, the movie "300" comes to mind.

Also the movie "pathfinder".

And I'm sure there are many video games that "get it wrong".

edit: but maybe since the game is still in development they will change it. Or maybe they'll come up with an explanation or maybe they are just going to have fun with it.

meddyckJamesGoblintweedledumb99

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Aside from what everybody else said, that sword was designed by a backer as part of a contest and CSE is adding it in game as the reward for the contest. They picked it not because they thought it was historically accurate but because it looked cool and was well done.

But yeah CU is not set on historical earth and the Vikings in CU are not historical Vikings. So CSE is perfectly within their rights to use their imagination and do things for the Viking realm that don't strictly follow history.
    JamesGoblin

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm so glad someone is finally making a nice documentary about vikings. And yes, they should fix all these inaccuracies.

I read somewhere that when a viking dies in this documentary they get resurrected and they don't even age. Well that's the first thing they need to fix, because if you have read history like at all then you'd know that once a viking was dead, he was dead for good. 

These inaccuracies are making me thirsty!
    JamesGoblinmeddyckOnodrimtweedledumb99
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • OnodrimOnodrim Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Sovrath said:
    karnivor said:
    Sovrath said:
    karnivor said:

Wizard.

Actually I saw 3 female dwarves at Walmart last week ... although they may have been hobbits ... I didn’t get a good look at their feet...
    pantaro
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Vikings, FYI, do have single edge blades. They are called Seax and falchions.

https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/other-swords/thorpe-falchion-england-1300-13200-sword-fight-reproduction.html/

You can see drawings of falchion being used medieval paintings.

Notice that falchions and seax are single edged but straight blades. The are NOT muslim scimitars, which are curved blades.

JamesGoblin
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    karnivor said:
    sgel said:

Then change the faction name. That is not much to ask. You can still keep Viking as a race. 

The Sword looks cool if you are some kind of muslim barbarian mix. Not for a Viking.

It's a fantasy game and not ment to be a historical accurate game.

Never understood why for example swords have to be historically accurate in a fantasy game?
    JamesGoblin