Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMO's with in-depth farming like ArcheAge?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I loved the farming in ArcheAge when it released, hated everything else about it.  Are there any newer MMO's with detailed farming like that?  I tried Life is Feudal for a brief time, but found it to be so tedious that I couldn't stick with it.

Thanks!

Comments

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Black Desert Online has a fairly sophisticated farming model, with instanced farms that make it easier to find farming space wherever you want it. They have some nice additions, like breeding that can raise crops from a basic level to more advanced levels that produce higher yields and better recipes, for example. And you can hire workers to tend to your farms to help eliminate the bugs and diseases that can threaten crops.

I'm not aware of any other MMOs that handle farming as comprehensively as these two. Albion Online has a pretty rudimentary farming model compared to AA and BDO, but it has some advantages of its own. 
    MightyUnclean

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I tried BDO very briefly, and got turned off by the UI.  Maybe I need to give it a second look.
    Interitus
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Stardew village or something
    JeffSpicolichocolate42069
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Archeage pretty much nailed farming and fishing. TOO BAD 
    InteritusJeffSpicolichocolate42069
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Albion has some farming mechanics you might enjoy.  Worth a look at least, plenty of videos around.
    So I saw on another thread that the ArcheAge original servers are pretty dead.  How dead is dead?  Have people moved to the new servers, or have they mostly just quit playing?
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Wurm Online has good farming and far superior cooking but if you found LiF tedious you might find it tedious too.

There is always Harvest Moon games if you are willing to step out of the MMO Sphere. And Stardew Valley sounds like a Harvest Moon inspired game.
    Phry
    Oh yeah, I played Stardew Valley and it was great!  I'll check it out again, soon, when the multiplayer portion goes live.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So I saw on another thread that the ArcheAge original servers are pretty dead.  How dead is dead?  Have people moved to the new servers, or have they mostly just quit playing?
    Well, the main reason why most legacy (original servers) are dead atm is because of the fresh start server. Fresh start servers tend to kill the population of the legacy servers simply because most items are at their infancy at that point and its easy enough to flip said items for quite a large profit a few months down the line when the population on fresh start starts to tank and that server is inevitably thrown into the legacy server pool. Just because Trion is trying to throw the word progression in their, that only means it'll happen slightly slower than before. But, that aside, its the prime time for vet players to make a longer term investment, especially since it currently takes 6 months to a year to be "reasonably" geared in a competitive sense, depending on what type of player you are (aka f2p player running 3+ accounts and/or cc swiper).
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    JDis25 said:
    I miss fishing in AA so much
    Albatroes said:
    Well, the main reason why most legacy (original servers) are dead atm is because of the fresh start server. Fresh start servers tend to kill the population of the legacy servers simply because most items are at their infancy at that point and its easy enough to flip said items for quite a large profit a few months down the line when the population on fresh start starts to tank and that server is inevitably thrown into the legacy server pool. Just because Trion is trying to throw the word progression in their, that only means it'll happen slightly slower than before. But, that aside, its the prime time for vet players to make a longer term investment, especially since it currently takes 6 months to a year to be "reasonably" geared in a competitive sense, depending on what type of player you are (aka f2p player running 3+ accounts and/or cc swiper).

Is it not possible to be a relatively peaceful farmer and trade route runner on just one subscription account and make an OK living?  How long does it take for the new servers to be dumped back in with the old ones?  Is it correct that the auction houses are linked on all legacy servers, so you're basically OK on any legacy as far as buying and selling on the AH goes?
    Albatroes said:

Is it not possible to be a relatively peaceful farmer and trade route runner on just one subscription account and make an OK living?  How long does it take for the new servers to be dumped back in with the old ones?  Is it correct that the auction houses are linked on all legacy servers, so you're basically OK on any legacy as far as buying and selling on the AH goes?
    Well making an "okay living" kind of depends on what you want to do overall. Like, if you have no plans of ever trying to pvp and are okay with getting ganked (can be often depending on the people and server), then its relatively easy enough to get land and make enough to get patron for free via ingame means on one account if you know what to do or invest real money in patron from the start.

As for how long it takes it takes for the new servers to be added to the legacy pool, the past 2 fresh starts have always done it between 6 months to a year, since that's when most people either quit due to trion finally adding all the p2w stuff back to that server and/or the fresh start prices start to match the prices of legacy, so vet players see no more point being there when compared to just being on legacy and re-buying land if they need to.

Yes auction houses are linked between all regional servers (All NA server auction houses are linked to each other and all EU server auction houses are linked to each other). There's server benefits and disadvantages to being on a lower pop vs higher pop in that regard, which really depends on you as a player. If you're okay with not seeing people that often or not talking to people/having people to do stuff with then you can probably net more items depending on what you're doing and find better spots for land.

AA really is a very versatile game that can support almost any kind of playstyle, which I guess why many people are so disappointed to see how much Trion/XLGames are trying to milk out of it instead of at least giving the thirsty community at least one p2p server. If they did that, I'd honestly think the "hype" for Bless Online wouldn't have grown as much as it has over the past few months since for a lot of people, it's just an AA replacement.
    Phry
    OK, thanks Albatroes.  I keep hearing that the game has become more and more P2W.  What has happened?  It's been a good while since I played at release, but back then, I seem to remember the biggest P2W concern being the ability to buy potions for more daily labor.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Haven and Hearth has outstanding homesteading.  And the most developed crafting system in an MMO (this is not said lightly).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I left AA because of the farming ;/ kekekeke
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    We need a 3dFancy with farming, crafting, housing that is not p2w. 

I could not make it past level 25 in AA before I died of boredom.  Questing.  Nui NA.  I am pretty sure everyone had secret knowledge to some trick or cheat that got them to high level in a day.  I was the only one left leveling slowly and houses everywhere.  Even tho I started the first day like everyone else.  To discouraging.  I was f2p so I guess that was part of it.  Or I'm just a slow old fart.

I don't want to work at my game.  Working a job is an irl thing not a fantasy escape from irl.  That does not mean Neverwinter/BDO's make a picture of an employee doing stuff for me that I govern.  I still want to pick nodes and craft just not all damn day (FFXIV).

Some node picking.  Optional quests.  A few dailies.   Tiny bit of this and that.  A LOT OF EXPLORE and build.  Like Skyrim.  Explore - loot -  kill - take home to npc wife n kids.  And doggo.  And wave at my next door neighbor happily.  NOT BASH HIM OVER THE HEAD AND TAKE HIS WIFE AND KIDS TO ADD TO MINE.  DA FUK is wrong with you people?!

ESO is the best mmorpg.  But it still gets boring after a bit with same ol scenery when you play everyday only that.  Wildstar has great housing.  But it's not medieval.  Something about a modern home makes me want to put out a barbecue grill and invite everyone for a beer - not sit on my porch ALONE and lonely.   Again boring.

I used to post on these forums all the content I would like to see in an mmorpg.  So devs stole my (our) ideas and put them in a cash shop and MILKED the WHALES and bought themselves whores and irl islands.  I have lost interest in sharing my ideas.  They were not meant for milking whale tits.

Every fucker who has an ounce of life in them is looking at Bless to solve their boredom.  Bless does not have housing btw.  It does have animal pet collections and pixel boobs.

Everyone else went to play BDO.  Those who don't demand silicone imagery play ESO.  No other active mmo worth mentioning has housing.

Indie games look like two-five people glued together chopsticks in a 3rd grade science fair.  And proudly presented it to the public for more money than what we give large corps with full 40+staff of 401k employees.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    anemo said:
    Haven and Hearth has outstanding homesteading.  And the most developed crafting system in an MMO (this is not said lightly).
    If you want farming and crafting in an MMO. Here is your answer.

Keep in mind, its permadeath deathmatch style PvP.

Singleplayer, for something more friendly and light, I'd go with Stardew Valley. The whole game is for farming. But of course, it isn't an MMO.

Outside of that. I haven't really played an MMO with farming that I liked. Just really Haven and Hearth where I felt like a true farmer. Too bad about the permadeath deathmatch PvP. Its also VERY VERY VERY grindy.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited April 2018
    We need a 3dFancy with farming, crafting, housing that is not p2w. 

I could not make it past level 25 in AA before I died of boredom.  Questing.  Nui NA.  I am pretty sure everyone had secret knowledge to some trick or cheat that got them to high level in a day.  I was the only one left leveling slowly and houses everywhere.  Even tho I started the first day like everyone else.  To discouraging.  I was f2p so I guess that was part of it.  Or I'm just a slow old fart.

I don't want to work at my game.  Working a job is an irl thing not a fantasy escape from irl.  That does not mean Neverwinter/BDO's make a picture of an employee doing stuff for me that I govern.  I still want to pick nodes and craft just not all damn day (FFXIV).

Some node picking.  Optional quests.  A few dailies.   Tiny bit of this and that.  A LOT OF EXPLORE and build.  Like Skyrim.  Explore - loot -  kill - take home to npc wife n kids.  And doggo.  And wave at my next door neighbor happily.  NOT BASH HIM OVER THE HEAD AND TAKE HIS WIFE AND KIDS TO ADD TO MINE.  DA FUK is wrong with you people?!

ESO is the best mmorpg.  But it still gets boring after a bit with same ol scenery when you play everyday only that.  Wildstar has great housing.  But it's not medieval.  Something about a modern home makes me want to put out a barbecue grill and invite everyone for a beer - not sit on my porch ALONE and lonely.   Again boring.

I used to post on these forums all the content I would like to see in an mmorpg.  So devs stole my (our) ideas and put them in a cash shop and MILKED the WHALES and bought themselves whores and irl islands.  I have lost interest in sharing my ideas.  They were not meant for milking whale tits.

Every fucker who has an ounce of life in them is looking at Bless to solve their boredom.  Bless does not have housing btw.  It does have animal pet collections and pixel boobs.

Everyone else went to play BDO.  Those who don't demand silicone imagery play ESO.  No other active mmo worth mentioning has housing.

Indie games look like two-five people glued together chopsticks in a 3rd grade science fair.  And proudly presented it to the public for more money than what we give large corps with full 40+staff of 401k employees.

Fastest way to level in AA is by crafting. The questing to level outside of that is pretty mind numbing. What is really stupid is that the newer races (dwarf and the demon) have updated leveling paths compared to the old ones, so you can pretty much hit 30~ in 2-3 hours of their quest chain. But yeah, it really depends. There's ALOT to do in AA but like 80% of it is tied to the labor system, so unless your money is going to labor pots, you're probably gonna be bored regardless.
    [Deleted User]
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited April 2018
    Ugh Archeage.   Had some really good stuff and some over the top BS that ruined it all.  The P2W was the worst of it, but the boring grind on crap end game content that made trying to do it the honest way was the final nail in the coffin for me.  P2W is bad enough, but making it a mindnumbing chore to do it without that is unforgivable.  
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Interitus said:
    JDis25 said:
    That was teh only reason I wanted to try AA and I never did find the fishing trainer lol
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Interitus said:
    JDis25 said:
    That was teh only reason I wanted to try AA and I never did find the fishing trainer lol
    There was/is no fishing trainer .. There is a small quest line that teaches you to craft your first fishing rod .. But its not needed to fish .. you can just purchase one from the AH and some bait .. and go fishing
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    You can play Farming Sim 2017 Its not an MMO but can be Coop and its really fun...Up to 4 people can be in a sever i beilive
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Hey guys,

I loved the farming in ArcheAge when it released, hated everything else about it.  Are there any newer MMO's with detailed farming like that?  I tried Life is Feudal for a brief time, but found it to be so tedious that I couldn't stick with it.

Thanks!

The only reason I am responding to this is that when I played ArcheAge I did not find the farming to be that detailed. You basically purchase or received a SMALL plot of land in which to cram your farming into. You did not really interact with that land other then to tell the game what you want to plant. Sure you could grab more plots but they were all small little areas that were more like gardens then a "farm". Sorry, but to me it was not farming.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2018
    Regnor said:
    Black Desert Online has a fairly sophisticated farming model, with instanced farms that make it easier to find farming space wherever you want it. They have some nice additions, like breeding that can raise crops from a basic level to more advanced levels that produce higher yields and better recipes, for example. And you can hire workers to tend to your farms to help eliminate the bugs and diseases that can threaten crops.

I'm not aware of any other MMOs that handle farming as comprehensively as these two. Albion Online has a pretty rudimentary farming model compared to AA and BDO, but it has some advantages of its own. 
    Phased, not instanced.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited April 2018
    JDis25 said:
    Yeah, if you could find f*****g land.