Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fly on the Wall: World-Building Strike Team Pt. 2 - Crowfall Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageFly on the Wall: World-Building Strike Team Pt. 2 - Crowfall Videos - MMORPG.com

The Crowfall team is back with the second part of "Fly on the Wall: World-Building" where viewers get an inside look at the development process. This completes the look at "the particulars of procedural world generation".

Read the full story here

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Unlike many other developers - Crowfall already showed us that they actually have tech supporting all this "abstract" talk. It's already playable, say here's how it looked more than a year ago:

Mikehafrancis_baud
     W...aaagh?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This is a True sandbox
    JamesGoblin
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited April 2018
    Boring overly tile-based world is what I got out of it. Every video I've seen, their world is just flat and boring, very little verticality which is a big limitation of cheaply built tile based worlds.

Also, there are good sandboxes, then there are sandboxes that are more like kitty-litter boxes full of special treats left by fluffy that nobody wants to play in. 

I hope this game ends up good but they seem to be cutting allot of corners and doing allot of console-ish dumbing down.
    Post edited by Dvora on
    MikehaJamesGoblin
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Dvora said:
    Boring overly tile-based world is what I got out of it. Every video I've seen, their world is just flat and boring, very little verticality which is a big limitation of cheaply built tile based worlds.
    @Dvora Strangely enough, I do agree with this - that's how it looks at this point; Furthermore if you played tests in same ol' same grass-with-some-trees everywhere on flat terrain, for last three years, you'd risk going claustrophobically insane (hmm...is this even a word?).

Good thing is, in their recent stream they showed us pieces of new tech enabling them to build caves, bigger canyons and much (like MUCH) higher mountains, atop of that placeable one upon another(!). Varying textures (desert,swamp etc.) is also coming, but "makeup" is not a priority before you know what your tech can do first.

I mean, it's not just a concept, it was shown live and playable in-game, and some parts of it are already available to players to play on.
    francis_baud
     W...aaagh?