Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TheHiveLeader Heals the Devs in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Pre-Alpha - Pantheon: Rise of the Falle

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageTheHiveLeader Heals the Devs in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Pre-Alpha - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.com

TheHiveLeader recently hung out with Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen devs to spend time in the game. You'll see a ton of gameplay footage and much more as Hive takes on the Cleric role and "the group once again faces the ever-victorious Fion Iridia.

Read the full story here

Amathe

Comments

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I consider myself an old school player, but the more I listen to the developers the more I understand that the things they consider old school is no longer appealing to me. Sure the system with different roles for every class is something I love. I also love the classes they have planned. But downtime between fights, camping a dungeon with several other groups and so on is for sure old school, but not appealing to me at all. I actually kind of like instanced dungeons. I will definitely try it out at release but my hype has gone down a lot lately. And yes, I know it is alpha gameplay. It is not that, I don't care that the battles look kind of boring right now to be honest. As long as there is strategy involved.
    [Deleted User]TheocritusdrkmgicMitaraSamhael
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    I think that’s looking pretty good. Hopefully they get a rock solid build and network for launch. Vanguard never recovered from the launch disaster.
    CendhariaSinsai[Deleted User]LackingMMOZenJellyThunder073Samhael

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

lindhsky said:

I consider myself an old school player, but the more I listen to the developers the more I understand that the things they consider old school is no longer appealing to me. Sure the system with different roles for every class is something I love. I also love the classes they have planned. But downtime between fights, camping a dungeon with several other groups and so on is for sure old school, but not appealing to me at all. I actually kind of like instanced dungeons. I will definitely try it out at release but my hype has gone down a lot lately. And yes, I know it is alpha gameplay. It is not that, I don't care that the battles look kind of boring right now to be honest. As long as there is strategy involved.

yeah all this is what i loved about eq1/eq2 i m not sure if i can afford the time to camp 5hours for a dungeon boss only to get sniped by another group.but i m for sure gonna buy it and have a look.
    CendhariaNyghthowlerdrkmgicMitara

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• frangoazulfrangoazul Member UncommonPosts: 31
    boring and tedious combat
    JamesGoblinMikehaIselinZenJellyGyva02DakeruThunder073MitaraSamhael
    Different strokes for different folks.  Not every game has to be so called “player skill” twitch combat.
    JamesGoblinKyleranCendhariaSinsaizanfireTamanousXophsvannThupli[Deleted User]and 9 others.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2018
    lindhsky said:
    So how are you an old school player other than you played way back? I think when players say they are an "old school player" they are saying they played way back and still value those early game conventions.

I suppose it "could" refer to people who have never played the older games but after learning about/experiencing older games, they have come to prefer them.

All the stuff they talk about, non-instanced dungeons, downtime, camping with people is old school and something I am looking forward to. And I would consider myself predominantly a solo player.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    CendhariaSinsaiXophperrin82[Deleted User]Jixen9
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Sovrath said:

lindhsky said:

So how are you an old school player other than you played way back? I think when players say they are an "old school player" they are saying they played way back and still value those early game conventions.

I suppose it "could" refer to people who have never played the older games but after learning about/experiencing older games, they have come to prefer them.

All the stuff they talk about, non-instanced dungeons, downtime, camping with people is old school and something I am looking forward to. And I would consider myself predominantly a solo player.

I just try to put myself into the category they are talking about in every stream. I remember camping a spot for experience for hours with a gang. I remember when you had to sit down to regain mana between fights. I remember when specific classes were wanted for farm groups not because of damage, healing or tanking but because of buffs and perhaps manasongs. They are often talking about this in their streams. And when I think about those times I remember them fondly. But I take it one step further. I am pretty sure I didn't like them just because I had to sit down between fights or other groups could enter the same dungeon. That is why I posted my opening post. I am one of those people that kind of remember the old days with a big smile. For an example, as soon as someone mention DAOC I get a huge smile on my face. But if I take it one step further I remember the boring things with that game as well (buffbots, balance-issues, expansions that destroyed the game etc). So I don't like everything that the developers for Pantheon consider old school.
    Mendel
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This game is just so not for me either.

I love Hive videos, which is the only reason I tried to watch this, and I admittedly had a crappy sleep... but I literally (and I don't mean figuratively literally) fell asleep watching this.

During the early part when I was awake I kept thinking "These are some intelligent and entertaining people on voice chat talking about the fight and I find it boring. What would this be like playing it with 5 barely articulate and not so entertaining players?"

Surely there must be a happy medium between the hyperactive, effects-crazed MMO fights that can be missed if you blink and this thing.
    Mikeha[Deleted User]MendelNyghthowlerinfomatzDakeruKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    This to me has been AMAZING!!! uuummmm...not in a good way either. They (devs) have slowly killed-off ANY enthusiasm I had for this game. It seems like a released, private game now. This is the single worst marketing (or lack there-of) campaign I have EVER seen! I truly dont care about this game any more. I wish everyone who wants to give it a try (when it comes out in 10 years)  well in the game....assuming any of us are still living when launch actually arrives.
    LackingMMOZenJellyXoph
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    I very much look forward to the slower combat especially after playing these ADHD twitch combat mmos we’ve been given the last 10 years or so. I’ve recently went back to play on an EQ progression server and the slower pace is a breath of fresh air and more importantly, I’ve actually engage in conversation with the groups I’ve played with unlike everything the last 10 years just quieing up rushing with not Word spoken.

I watch streams of WoW, Archage, Bless online and the combat is identical to each other and isn’t appealing anymore. Spam buttons, zero interaction.

So I look forward to Pantheon.
    CendhariaSinsaizanfireXophGyva02exile01Thunder073[Deleted User]saker
    edited April 2018
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    lindhsky said:

I think you're confusing old school with masochism. I'm old school. Being old school doesn't mean you like all the bad designs from the past or want to see them rehashed in the most tedious manner. That's not what old school is about at all.
    I really don't care what people want to label it as. It's not like I am trying to earn the old school label. I just commented of what they are talking about in the streams. They seem to think that people want that. To sit down between fights and talk to eachother like in good old days as they often say. First, I found that kind of tempting. Now, I don't! And yes, I know that there are a lot of people that likes that. Call them old school players or masochists or whatever you want. :)
  • sarielissarielis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I'm really looking forward to Pantheon:)
    CendhariaSinsaiZenJellyGyva02Thunder073

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

lindhsky said:

I think you're confusing old school with masochism. I'm old school. Being old school doesn't mean you like all the bad designs from the past or want to see them rehashed in the most tedious manner. That's not what old school is about at all.

Then what would old school be if it's not for "old school conventions"?

Sinsai[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited April 2018
    We want the challenge of old school but not the tedium....So far I am seeing more tedium than challenge....It also seems way too much like EQ...While it was fun in its day, I dont really want to do that again.
    MendelThunder073RueTheWhirlkjempff
  • CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319
    edited April 2018
    I'm looking forward to being part of a community again, where people actually talk...use strategy and thinking..instead of rushing through everything because they think they are "beating da game". What they don't realize in their mad rush to end cap is that they have missed 90% of what the game is all about. So why do Devs put all that hard work into building game worlds, if the hyperactive types want to rush past it all just to brag for five minutes they hit level cap, then quit the game to go onto the next shiny? :) There are lots of games out there that cater to those with short attention spans. Pantheon will be different. :)
    Xoph
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Going back to the past to give hope to the future is not my idea of a fun time. 
    Pantheon honestly does nothing for me. 
    They seem to have a passion for it and there are many players who are looking forward to this time of game. I am just not one of them. I have played this experience already many times before. 
    I wish them luck! 

To each their own, right? :) Luck to you too BlueTurtle. :)

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

lindhsky said:

Is it defined by a few fringe mechanics? Lineage didn't have either corpse runs or downtime mechanics, but was way more hardcore than EQ. Can you make a case that Lineage 1 wasn't old school?

Played Lineage II (pvp) Daoc (pvp) Daoc was a lot of fun til that expac that turned off most players. First pvp game for me was Meridian 59...now that game was rough when it started out. lol When you died you were fully looted..period, start from scratch. I really doubt many would play a game like that these days. Yes I am old school, got the memories to prove it, Pantheon will be different, absorbing, immersive, community oriented, risk vs reward. It ticks off all the things that count for me. Strategies needed for bringing bosses down..not just run through and aoe everything. Very much looking forward to it. A thinking gamer's game.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Thunder073
    Cendharia said:
     A thinking gamer's game.
    And by implication those bored by it are non-thinking gamers? 

It's not an either or kind of thing you know. I've been playing computer games on a home computer longer than many regular posters in this site have been alive. Chris Crawford's Eastern Front on my Atari in 1980 was my first followed by Temple of Apshai, Utima, Bard's Tale and so on. Asheron's Call and DAoC were my first couple of MMOs.

I have played hundreds of computer games. Enough to have seen them evolve over my 38 years of computer gaming sometimes well and sometimes poorly. I too would love to see the fights become tougher to the point that support roles that mez and root and buff become relevant again.

But I still dislike this game intensely. Why? Because I would like to see tougher fights and support class relevance implemented in new, innovative ways that are interesting and fun, not just bringing back the same old boring shit. That is just lazy ass and unimaginative copypasta that looks even goofier today than when we sat down to regen mana while in a fight 20 years ago.

What we actually need to recapture that good ole time feeling is creative, thinking developers not a bunch of goofs trying to cash in on the nostalgia craze by replicating all the warts we put-up with back then.

Is that enough thinking gamer for you? :)

WylfMendel[Deleted User]XophNyghthowlerThunder073Gyva02
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2018

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

lindhsky said:

Is it defined by a few fringe mechanics? Lineage didn't have either corpse runs or downtime mechanics, but was way more hardcore than EQ. Can you make a case that Lineage 1 wasn't old school?

I didn't play The first Lineage however ...

You did have to sit to regen mana in Lineage 2 as well as health.

You could drop items on death. Because, at the start of the game there were fewer port places one could spend a lot of time making their way to an area (Antharas' cave for example) get killed, drop your gear and have to go and retrieve it before someone else did.

I recall dying and dropping some very expensive gear and I had guildmates rush across the map to get it before someone else did.

Failing enchants destroyed an entire item.

Are these really "fringe" mechanics" or are they mechanics that open up other opportunities that just aren't as tangible as getting gear or leveling up?

I them as mechanics that help promote community; something that is very lacking in these modern games. That's a plus for me.

But now that I think of it, if they are indeed "fringe" mechanics, I'm ok with that and am ok being a fringe player.

I mean, after I do lunch with a friend I'm going to resume playing Morrowind for the rest of the day. Not the online bit but the original game.

Single player game where you have to repair your equipment, you start out running quite slowly and there is limited fast travel, where you have to find a place to sleep in order to level up.

Where the game play is slower and one needs to consider a variety of things such as whether or not I can actually open a chest and if it will be trapped and do I have probes to see if it is indeed trapped or do I want to risk death.

What can I say, I find that fun. I should also add, perhaps this game is more like baseball in that, for many people, it's a lot more fun to play than to watch!

perrin82

To me... old school is really about how the community interacts.  It's more about the idea of living in an alternate world, developing relationships, and playing for a long time as opposed to what I see as today's drive through games.  

Once upon a time that's all their was.  EQ, UO, AC, etc...   Not many people multi-gamed.  For instance I never played AC or EQ because I was focused on UO and then DAoC.   You didn't join a game expecting to hop to a new one in a month or two.  You planned to play for years.   Some people do that today, but it's just a small fraction of players.

Once F2P hit... it became obvious that most people preferred sampling games, and hoping around.  That's fine... people like different things.   I still just think there is a market for old-school... long-term gaming and I think that people are even willing to pay a premium for it.  
    bobbymcswanson

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Iselin said:
    Cendharia said:
     A thinking gamer's game.
    And by implication those bored by it are non-thinking gamers? 

It's not an either or kind of thing you know. I've been playing computer games on a home computer longer than many regular posters in this site have been alive. Chris Crawford's Eastern Front on my Atari in 1980 was my first followed by Temple of Apshai, Utima, Bard's Tale and so on. Asheron's Call and DAoC were my first couple of MMOs.

I have played hundreds of computer games. Enough to have seen them evolve over my 38 years of computer gaming sometimes well and sometimes poorly. I too would love to see the fights become tougher to the point that support roles that mez and root and buff become relevant again.

But I still dislike this game intensely. Why? Because I would like to see tougher fights and support class relevance implemented in new, innovative ways that are interesting and fun, not just bringing back the same old boring shit. That is just lazy ass and unimaginative copypasta that looks even goofier today than when we sat down to regen mana while in a fight 20 years ago.

What we actually need to recapture that good ole time feeling is creative, thinking developers not a bunch of goofs trying to cash in on the nostalgia craze by replicating all the warts we put-up with back then.

Is that enough thinking gamer for you? :)

Your post lived up to your portrait. 
    JamesGoblin
    Xodic said:
    It's looking great. The animations and sound could use some work in order to get a feeling of impact, but other than that .... I'm excited. I don't see anything boring about the overall combat design, but I'm also a die hard turn based strategy and tactics game player. If you fell asleep during this video, then half of my game library would put you into a non-recoverable coma. Fortunately, there are no shortage of MMOs where you face-pull everything in range and spam an AOE, or have to constantly press numbers 1 - 0 to feel like you're doing something - some even do them in "innovative ways"...

They talked about a lot of old school design philosophy that should bring a lot of the magic back. My favorite being that areas and dungeons aren't designed with a narrow level range, allowing higher level players and lower level players to co-inhabit them.
    I was strategy gamer long before I even owned a computer. I still have many of those Avalon Hill games and many old issues of Strategy and Tactics magazine. I still play many strategy games as well as turn-based RPGs.

You're going to have to try harder to dismiss the reasons for my boredom.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    We want the challenge of old school but not the tedium....So far I am seeing more tedium than challenge....It also seems way too much like EQ...While it was fun in its day, I dont really want to do that again.
    The 'deja vu' aspects of Pantheon are going to be a significant hurdle for VR to tackle.  So far, there hasn't been anything that really adds spice to the old EQ1 formula.  Will there be?  I don't know.  At this point, I don't think anything beyond what we are seeing is being planned.

Going back to the past to give hope to the future is not my idea of a fun time. 
    Pantheon honestly does nothing for me. 
    They seem to have a passion for it and there are many players who are looking forward to this time of game. I am just not one of them. I have played this experience already many times before. 
    I wish them luck! 
    Pantheon seems to be that wants to recreate 1999.  The followers also seem to want that.  We've already seen numerous posters on this site that were once fervent supporters now beginning to question if this game will succeed.  What is popular now may not be popular when the product is delivered.  Just like book publishing, games can't aim for yesterday's targets and hope to be successful.  New ideas are what sells, not always regurgitated ideas from days long gone.

At some point, VR is going to need to appeal to a different market.  After all, those EQ1 and UO and AC players that abandoned the original old-school games aren't going to come back.  They have experienced new things, different things.  The light of nostalgia doesn't make the old ideas better, it has always been a short term phenomena.

Besides, what company wants to rely on a core market that has already proven to be so fickle?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2018
    lindhsky said:
    This is fair enough,to each their own.
    So happens i do love camping dungeons and there are reasons.I detest the downgrading of immersion that ? and ! over npc heads does to a game world.I also detest quests because in reality they are ERRANDS and not quests.

Camping allows a COMFORT level ,you have time to chat with others,gain friendships.You see the MMO+game factor is suppose to be about fun playing your class and enjoy doing the combat with others.

The whole premise of a instance type game is to simply facilitate loot runs over and over and over.To me this is like saying,without the loot the game has no substance,nobody wants to play it.This is actually TRUE,if a game relies solely on loot runs,i don't want to play it,i enjoy well designed classes and com,bat depth/systems,NOT loot runs.

Loot runs create a feeling that the game and the world do not matter,only the loot table matters.These designs ALWAYS create lock downs on content as well,get the right gear or you can't play idea.

I don't try to be mean or anything ,i just call it as i see it and to me loot run gaming is VERY shallow,it is NOT RPG nor MMO gaming.
    lindhskyLackingMMOperrin82Sovrath[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.