Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best gaming monitor for MMORPG?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
edited April 2018 in Hardware
Which is best from this list ?

https://www.strawpoll.me/15496718

i think about LG 25UM58-P 25inc 21:9 UltraWide idk how good is ultra wide for MMORPG

Post edited by davc123 on

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You don't want a small ultra-wide. The size is deceptive due to the aspect ratio. It would be like a 19" monitor in vertical real-estate.
    If a monitor does not have GSync, it will most likely have FreeSync since it doesn't take the manufacturer much effort to add FreeSync. I am actually more surprised monitor manufacturers don't make a monitor that offers both GSync and FreeSync since FreeSync can be on a GSync monitor. That way the price premium would be worth it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Unless you have at least a 1080ti, I would not bother with any 4k monitor at the moment.  They are overpriced and you won't use that 4k resolution any time soon.  Ultra wide monitors are ok, but be aware there are some games that do not support them.  

If you want screen space, there are some really good 40" UHD tv's out there that work fairly well.
    Cleffy said:
    You don't want a small ultra-wide. The size is deceptive due to the aspect ratio. It would be like a 19" monitor in vertical real-estate.
    If a monitor does not have GSync, it will most likely have FreeSync since it doesn't take the manufacturer much effort to add FreeSync. I am actually more surprised monitor manufacturers don't make a monitor that offers both GSync and FreeSync since FreeSync can be on a GSync monitor. That way the price premium would be worth it.
    Are you sure about that?  I thought that the reason they were different is basically that Nvidia chose not to follow or support the industry standard.
    [Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited April 2018
    Ultra Wide's were made for MMO's in my opinion. Of all the genre's iv played on MMO's without question look the best. When you think about a MMO and all the landscape thats in front of you those extra inches on the side add so much immersion to your game. 

Setzer
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

On the question of the deceptively named "ultra-wide" monitors (that monitor is ultra-short and not really all that wide, either), I have two thoughts:

First, it's a computer monitor, and you're going to do computer things with it.  It's not a television, it's not a cell phone, and it's not digital signage.  For most things done on a computer, you run out of vertical space before horizontal even at a 16:9 aspect ratio.  This certainly includes e-mail, word processing, and programming.  It also includes most web browsing, as sites have long since figured out that using too much horizontal space makes the side awkward to use, so they just stick ads on the sides.  A taller monitor lets you see more of the web site content at once, but a wider one just lets you see more ads.

It also includes most games.  I've heard people assert that wider rather than taller is better for most first person shooters, which strikes me as plausible, though I don't play first person perspective games.  Wider rather than taller is also better for some side scrolling games, though those aren't very common anymore.  But either square or a rectangle that is kind of close to square is optimal for just about everything else, including virtually all games with an overhead view or a third-person perspective where you zoom out considerably.  The latter includes most MMORPGs.

Don't be deceived by the 25" measurement into thinking the monitor is larger than it actually is.  The 25" is a diagonal measurement, and the monitor screen itself is less than 10" high.  That's actually shorter than the 17" monitor that I bought way back in 1998.  In a sense, it's "only" $180, so it doesn't cost a fortune.  But it's tiny; even a 24" 1080p monitor is much, much larger than that one.

My second thought on the monitor is more broadly true of all peripherals: good is subjective.  If you're the only one using it, what matters is if it meets your needs well, and not whether anyone else likes it.  What matters about speakers or a headset is whether they sound good to your ears, and in the case of a headset, whether it feels comfortable for you to wear.  What matters about a keyboard or mouse is whether it's comfortable for you to use and easy to make it do what you want.  And what matters about a monitor is whether it looks good to you and has ample space for what you personally do.
    Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    New monitor announced by Philips should be an excellent choice as a gaming monitor...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268953/components-processors/2nd-gen-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review.html?sf187351328=1
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited April 2018
    Ozmodan said:
    New monitor announced by Philips should be an excellent choice as a gaming monitor...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268953/components-processors/2nd-gen-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review.html?sf187351328=1
    This one?
    https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/436M6VBPAB_75/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow

43" 4K VA, 4ms gtg, 80Hz Freesync, USB C / HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.2, HDR 1000, 32-zone edge lit LEDs, and a built-in RGB rear bias light

Around $1000 US estimated MSRP

I agree it's got my attention. It ticks a lot of the right boxes. It may be a bit large for me personally (43"), but so far it's one of the better options, I agree.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    Quizzical said:
    On the question of the deceptively named "ultra-wide" monitors (that monitor is ultra-short and not really all that wide, either), I have two thoughts:

First, it's a computer monitor, and you're going to do computer things with it.  It's not a television, it's not a cell phone, and it's not digital signage.  For most things done on a computer, you run out of vertical space before horizontal even at a 16:9 aspect ratio.  This certainly includes e-mail, word processing, and programming.  It also includes most web browsing, as sites have long since figured out that using too much horizontal space makes the side awkward to use, so they just stick ads on the sides.  A taller monitor lets you see more of the web site content at once, but a wider one just lets you see more ads.

It also includes most games.  I've heard people assert that wider rather than taller is better for most first person shooters, which strikes me as plausible, though I don't play first person perspective games.  Wider rather than taller is also better for some side scrolling games, though those aren't very common anymore.  But either square or a rectangle that is kind of close to square is optimal for just about everything else, including virtually all games with an overhead view or a third-person perspective where you zoom out considerably.  The latter includes most MMORPGs.

Don't be deceived by the 25" measurement into thinking the monitor is larger than it actually is.  The 25" is a diagonal measurement, and the monitor screen itself is less than 10" high.  That's actually shorter than the 17" monitor that I bought way back in 1998.  In a sense, it's "only" $180, so it doesn't cost a fortune.  But it's tiny; even a 24" 1080p monitor is much, much larger than that one.

My second thought on the monitor is more broadly true of all peripherals: good is subjective.  If you're the only one using it, what matters is if it meets your needs well, and not whether anyone else likes it.  What matters about speakers or a headset is whether they sound good to your ears, and in the case of a headset, whether it feels comfortable for you to wear.  What matters about a keyboard or mouse is whether it's comfortable for you to use and easy to make it do what you want.  And what matters about a monitor is whether it looks good to you and has ample space for what you personally do.
    Flip the monitor into portrait mode for web pages and documents, duh.
    ;)

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I kinda like 16:10 and settling with 16:9. I wouldn't want any wider than that though.

I can see Quizz's point about monitors being too wide, especially if you like doing things in Fullscreen. As far as text/reading goes, I always have those programs windowed, and can set two windows set at normal page width side by side on a 16:10. 16:9 works as well, but you lose a noticeable amount of vertical space there. I use two of them side by side, I game in fullscreen (well, borderless window) on one side, and run a browser and other apps on the second screen, and can flip back and forth at will between the two. For work, it's usually Office on one side, maybe some light coding and/or a terminal, with email, a browser and/or reference material on the other.

Going vertical with the screens - if you code or have to have live RSS feeds going or track stocks or something, yeah, I could see that being a good proposition. I don't use it myself though.

The older 4:3 ratio was ok, but only because it was the previous standard and I was used to it, not because it was better. Turned vertically it matched up well with typical paper size, but horizontally it wasn't quite wide enough to show two pages side by side.

Ultrawides I can't really get into it. Mostly because I'm a creature of habit and I've gotten used to my current workflow. The bezel in the middle of my current two-screen setup makes for a nice physical divide between the windows I use, and I use it as an organizational tool. Sure, not having it there I could still have the option to just keep the screen split, but I couldn't use "fullscreen" with the same effect as I current do.