Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game shallow

Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
So thinking of checking out this game, but all the "features" i can find is open world PVP and PVE dungeons.

Crafting seems very limited, and I read you require like 5 different types of in-game currencies to get anywhere with it. no housing? no shops? Few 'holy trinity' classes?

I read it has creature taming which is nice.

I have the impression the game will be similar to AoC with a greater focus on PVP perhaps.

So what is attracting you to this game instead of say GW2?

Curious as to what all the fuss (or lack thereof) is about. Thanks

Comments

• anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    it's a new game and new things are fun for a while. 
  • Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    edited April 2018

so you expect like 50% of the population to drop out after the first month or two?
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    OptiqueMarquis said:

so you expect like 50% of the population to drop out after the first month or two?
    What MMO on the market hasn't followed that pattern?

Play it for what it is and then move on when it's no longer fun.  That's what everyone else does.

And lest we forget, what other options will be there at the time?  It's another reason why people flock new releases... they're bored out of their minds and even a new bad game is better than any old game they've played to death.
  • Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    i see. i was just wondering if there was anything else to it than the "new" factor.

apparently not.
  • anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    it's an old game dressed up as new, releasing in an mmo drought. in 2 or 3 months the game will lose most of its playerbase, like every mmo that's come out since wow. 

we won't see anything really "new" until the current line of crowdfunded mmos start to release sometime around 2020. triple a mmos are dead and we probably won't see another until some new tech takes over, like VR. we are living in the crash that we knew was coming 5 years ago when the market was at peak oversaturation. the next big thing will start out small like UO or EQ did back in the late 90's. 

bless isn't that thing. it's a distraction for rainy days this summer when i'm not racing at the track or riding on the street. 
    Mikeha
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So thinking of checking out this game, but all the "features" i can find is open world PVP and PVE dungeons.

Crafting seems very limited, and I read you require like 5 different types of in-game currencies to get anywhere with it. no housing? no shops? Few 'holy trinity' classes?

I read it has creature taming which is nice.

I have the impression the game will be similar to AoC with a greater focus on PVP perhaps.

So what is attracting you to this game instead of say GW2?

Curious as to what all the fuss (or lack thereof) is about. Thanks
    Honestly, nothing about this game matters until the 11th of May when they're supposedly going to show revamped systems and probably say how much they are going to put it as b2p. Until then, its just a husk.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    So far some of the main draws to me are...

- It's very pretty graphics wise
    - Yes, the taming system seems nifty as it extends to both pets and mounts
    - They seem to have put some effort into the main storyline based on the cutscenes I've seen (hard to judge before actually playing it though)
    - PvE dungeons (and likely raids at some point?)
    - Castle sieging and battlegrounds for PvP content

It feels like if done well, it could be a much better looking WoW, down to the flying mounts (and the lack of housing, a con both share >.<). Or well, a nice looking WoW clone I guess.

Of course pretty much all of it is highly dependent on the gameplay and the monetization. ArcheAge was also a very promising game that went on a quick decline thanks to company's cash shop decisions.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    DMKano said:
    i see. i was just wondering if there was anything else to it than the "new" factor.

apparently not.

The game is far from new - developmenr started back in 2009, it uses Unreal Engine 3 and DX9.

This is far from a new game - its coming up on 10 years sincs dev started and will launch as Early Access ;) - think about that for a minute
    Supposedly the game is being completely revamped for the western audiences, even combat will be starkly different.  Almost like it's a new game. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

apparently not.

The game is far from new - developmenr started back in 2009, it uses Unreal Engine 3 and DX9.

This is far from a new game - its coming up on 10 years sincs dev started and will launch as Early Access ;) - think about that for a minute
    Supposedly the game is being completely revamped for the western audiences, even combat will be starkly different.  Almost like it's a new game. 

It's still using UE3 and DX9 from 2009, it's still using the same map from the old version, same quests, it has combat that is changed up a bit, it has crafting that has changed.

Completely? Not even close - this is not a FFIV - an example of a "complete revamp".

The developer has been overbudget on Bless for years now as the original version slipped by 2 years and failed in multiple regions, they simply didn't have the funds nor time to "completely revamp" the game.

What we are getting is very similar to the original - not completely revamped, come on now.
    Seeing as how I haven't played it yet, I guess I can't really comment on the differences. I'm sure we'll know more in a few short weeks.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    DMKano said:

apparently not.

That's what they say at least... but all we have seen so far are pics, and BS fly through videos. They're withholding all the the important info until weeks before the game is to be released and it's being managed by their "I haven't played the game yet, but this is the greatest game in the history of #ad #spon" emissary program.

We shall see. Gamblers know what the safe bet is.
    maskedweaselJacobin
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    edited April 2018
    I'm currently playing on the JPN Version. Honestly, it feels like Tera and it doesn't feel like there's anything new to the genre with Bless. But as others have pointed out, it's a "New" game, and by that I mean it's been changed from the current version to a more westernised one, giving the illusion of it being a new game.

For me, what this brings is a fresh start on a World PvP, Conquest style MMORPG with a Guild who plans to be a big player (Check out my Sig if you're interested). That'll certainly keep me busy for now, until BfA, and hopefully beyond.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    That the new and improved (again) combat system has been kept under wraps makes the "improved" part questionable. If they were convinced the changes would be well received I would have expected detailed discussion and promotional videos in abundance in an effort to instill confidence in potential buyers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    DMKano said:

apparently not.

So a lot like Star Citizen...check.

;)
    kitarad

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    FF14 had already released in the west, was taken down and then re-released.

Bless is just the 900th washed up Asian game being localized for the west. Since the combat has been universally terrible for 3 years, they are adding some minor combat tweaks and trying to sell them as some giant revamp.

As DMK says, the ugly truth of what they are trying to pull with Bless will soon be revealed.