Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My days of healing are over.

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
     I usually play a healer and sometimes feel like an umpire.  No one says anything if it goes well and everyone blames you if it goes wrong.  I have often found this happens, I am being blamed for two reasons, either I don't know the dungeon or others are trying to cover for their incompetence. Either way healing is like tanking in a sense that you need to learn the intricacies of a fight.  Personally I have found healing much more fluid in some games than in others.   
    Kylerandelete5230
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I agree with find a good guild comments.  If you group a lot a good guild will work together and give good improvement information on your build, as well as give you good stuff you can use because they have extra or don't need that uber healing staff themselves sitting around in their inventory for ages. 

Finding a good guild is a lot like dating.  You have to go through a lot of guilds sometimes until you find a good one that's compatible with your playstyle.  I look for groups that say 'casual' in their description so I know the stress levels will be lower and fun is favored over accomplishment.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I play a healer in real life and I mainly do solo content. In times where I have to PUG, I'm usually the undisputed leader of the group, so I can't be kicked. If the group fails, I may be to blame or perhaps there was nothing the group could have done. If I screwed up out of negligence then the healer is gonna get screwed big time. Whereas everyone else is hoping not to go down with the healer.

In this game I play, you can only run a particular dungeon once. But if things go well, rewards are priceless.

Cryomatrix 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Admittedly, I don't have much experience with healing, whenever I've started a healing class I always get bored way before I start doing serious group content. However, I was a guild and raid leader for many years across a number of games and here is what I noticed. 

(1) No role is inherently harder than any other. 
    I've heard the excuses from every role out there. Tanking is hardest and most important. Healing is hardest and most important. DPS is hardest and most important. CC is.....debuffer is....

The fact is, all roles have to work well in order to be successful. A weak link in any role will result in failure. 

(2) Healers have the least impact on success but most impact on failure. 
    Healing is basically the foundation of a group that allows everyone else to do their job. If a healer sucks, you will fail, but if a healer is awesome, there is no guarantee of success. All the other roles have a much greater impact on the way a fight progresses than the healer because it is the other roles that interact with the enemies and play out the mechanics. 

This is part of the reason I often give up with healers. Even playing at your absolute best, a healer generally can't do anything to make up for the failings in other players. With every single other role I've ever played, if someone else is letting us down there is always something I can do to pick up the slack (e.g. off-tanking, kiting, various emergency skills, off-healing, slowing down dps to reduce threat etc). 

(3) PuGs are bad.
    I've yet to have a good experience using automatic grouping tools, they always suck. If I'm going to pug, I'm either going to form a group manually myself or join another group being formed manually. This instantly creates a proper leader and immediately opens up communication between players, which sets good expectations. LotRO is the only game I've played where pugs were consistently good, and it didn't have a group finder and it did have ingame voice chat which improved effectiveness a ton. 

(4) Class balance has a massive impact.
    From what others said in this thread, your cleric is underpowered so you're going to have a tough time regardless. In a game with multiple healing classes, they generally each do one type of healing better than the other classes (e.g. HoTs, or AoE, or big burst healing). The type of healing should have an effect on tactics, but this often isn't realised by either the leader or the healer themselves. 

For example, in SW:TOR, the Jedi Sage had the best AoE healing so it was best if the DPS all stood together, even though it meant taking a bit more damage it was actually easier to heal through. With the scoundrel, they were more HoT based so I'd get my DPS to focus a bit more on damage avoidance so that the HoTs were more effective. 
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    cheyane said:
    I miss crowd control ,next to healing my favourite role is crowd control. I loved that about City of Heroes I could crowd control, and heal my gravity /empathy controller /so sad.
    I miss my Ice/Ice controller.
    Blaze_Rocker

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Healing in all MMOs is more about experience with the game - and especially experience with specific dungeons. I would never presume to go into a game and just roll a healer and try to bumble my way through it as a know-nothing noob no matter how many YT videos I watched.

Learn the game as a DPS and only then roll a healer. This has always worked for me as someone who ends-up being a healer at end-game more often than not.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I recently played Rift prime, 
    I would like to think of myself as a seasoned healer.  However with so many variables it could be easy or hard. 
    game-to-game 
    group-to-group 
    low-vs-high level 
    spec-to-spec  

Without going into too much detail, here is the basics: 
    I created a pure healing Cleric, I studied and watched many Youtubes.  I practiced healing on open world players doing Rifts, However I noticed my healing amounts never seamed very strong, but I believe I speced the best I could. 

It came time to enter my first dungeon.  I was careful to be about medium level as to not be too weak.  I entered the dungeon finder and it randomly gave me a "very high tank" and "very low dps players".  

As with all modern games and random players from Looking-For-Dungeon.  Everyone decided to speed run as fast as they could, I had to chase everyone to apply buffs.  The Tank was so high my heals were not very effective at all, however he was able to hold his own. 

The problem came with a dps taking at random two shots and dead.  This happened almost instant, and happened twice.... Next thing I know I was kicked from the group, "not a single word was talked".  I could have petitioned the group, but I'm thinking what's the use, they were speed running.  

My self-esteem was in the toilet.... Maybe I'm not a good healer, yet more often than not I'm great at it.  I'm not sure if I'm justifying my actions with the encounter or if I suck !   Anyway, I try and keep an honorable reputation in games, but at times I feel it's unjustified.  I can't decide.   

At times I think to myself.....Just play a dps and have fun with no responsibilities.  Then I can be the guy that speed runs, or randomly AFK when ever I feel.....Then I can blame the healer !!..... or maybe I do suck.  
    Your story of leaving it all behind and walking away from it all reminded me of a scene from the great 80's movie platoon , all I can say is this

NOW GET BACK OUT THERE AND DONT FORGET THE BUFFS BOY
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I recently played Rift prime, 
    I would like to think of myself as a seasoned healer.  However with so many variables it could be easy or hard. 
    game-to-game 
    group-to-group 
    low-vs-high level 
    spec-to-spec  

Without going into too much detail, here is the basics: 
    I created a pure healing Cleric, I studied and watched many Youtubes.  I practiced healing on open world players doing Rifts, However I noticed my healing amounts never seamed very strong, but I believe I speced the best I could. 

It came time to enter my first dungeon.  I was careful to be about medium level as to not be too weak.  I entered the dungeon finder and it randomly gave me a "very high tank" and "very low dps players".  

As with all modern games and random players from Looking-For-Dungeon.  Everyone decided to speed run as fast as they could, I had to chase everyone to apply buffs.  The Tank was so high my heals were not very effective at all, however he was able to hold his own. 

The problem came with a dps taking at random two shots and dead.  This happened almost instant, and happened twice.... Next thing I know I was kicked from the group, "not a single word was talked".  I could have petitioned the group, but I'm thinking what's the use, they were speed running.  

My self-esteem was in the toilet.... Maybe I'm not a good healer, yet more often than not I'm great at it.  I'm not sure if I'm justifying my actions with the encounter or if I suck !   Anyway, I try and keep an honorable reputation in games, but at times I feel it's unjustified.  I can't decide.   

At times I think to myself.....Just play a dps and have fun with no responsibilities.  Then I can be the guy that speed runs, or randomly AFK when ever I feel.....Then I can blame the healer !!..... or maybe I do suck.  
    Your story of leaving it all behind and walking away from it all reminded me of a scene from the great 80's movie platoon , all I can say is this

NOW GET BACK OUT THERE AND DONT FORGET THE BUFFS BOY
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Its not just you. I've run into that same situation in almost every MMORPG the past 10 years when I've tried to PUG as a healer, so I'll only do it in a guild situation these days.

Honestly, the whole speed running concept pretty much turns me off from MMOs at all these days, regardless of what class, and especially in a DFer PUG.

The lack of downtime is what kills it for me, as someone said when you play support you need time to gets buffs applied, and just take a bit of a mental breather before the next pull.

Running after the group to apply buffs and heals with mana still half charged puts too much stress, and it seems if you don't already know every fight at launch you risk being unceremoniously kicked without comment.

Downtime is one of the things I want to see return.  It won't  but it would be nice.  Back in tbc wow, I was in the #10 guild and got invited by a friend to help do a speed run.  OMG, I hated it.  It was so fast that the healer was pulling the next mobs while we were still in the middle of the fight.
    KyleranAlBQuirkylaserit
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Hmm OP, you are an oldtimer here. I would have assumed you know better. But ok, as healer is my preferred role too... here are my rules with pugs:
    - never ever play a healer in a pug group. Same is true for tanks but I rarely play those.
    - if dps draws aggro, let them die. It's easier and more effective to rezz them. If a dps dies it's 99% always his/her own fault. Dps are just lazy which brings me to
    - if you really have to pug play a dps. Easy peasy gameplay guaranteed.
    - and most important, don't forget to blame the healer when you die as a dps. ;)

But as I said I really assume you know all this anyway ;)
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    In Rift live, basically no one runs the dungeons at the levels they are marked as, because the elite mobs which come in groups of up to 5 or 6 are just dangerous.  Plus, the dungeons in Rift just aren't very fun.  I've run the first 4 defiant-side dungeons and they were all boring and annoying.  There are other MMOs which have more fun and interesting dungeons.
    Octagon7711
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Healing is probably the least respected role when it comes to modern MMORPG's. I stick to DPS as usually they don't get much of the anger as long as they stay out of AOE and disrupt, but Tanks and Healers if they aren't doing what the group expects, then the group instantly blames them (not all the time but quite a bit of the time). 
    I agree with this sentiment. It saddens me that in the older games, a player got XP for "damage done", not doing their jobs. Thus, EQ healers, controllers, tanks, and support took forever to level, because they were busy healing (no XP) or controlling (no XP) or taunting (no XP) while the DPS's raked in the XP left and right. That always bugged me in older games. I'm doing my job! Why can't I get XP?
    Blaze_Rockerdelete5230Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    That's why I like bards.

You get play with the attention that a healer needs.  But instead of heals you get "bard damage" where you're making hits land that shouldn't have, giving the healer that extra few seconds to respond to damage (meaning you sometimes get a "bard res" since that character didn't die when it should have), and similar.

FFXIV does this really well with their bard class (good buffs that have actual differing effectiveness at different times in a fight, and it plays on a "priority" system rather than "rotation" like a typical class), and has a greedier/DPSier version with their gunner (that even has an interesting mechanic where you get to reapply damage a second time that you've dealt in a window).    They don't even trade "that much" damage potential instead, the bard needs to deal with a proc system that sometimes really hates/loves you, and the gunner gets to deal with the ability to utterly mess up.
    Kyleran

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited April 2018
    I agree with find a good guild comments.  If you group a lot a good guild will work together and give good improvement information on your build, as well as give you good stuff you can use because they have extra or don't need that uber healing staff themselves sitting around in their inventory for ages. 

Finding a good guild is a lot like dating.  You have to go through a lot of guilds sometimes until you find a good one that's compatible with your playstyle.  I look for groups that say 'casual' in their description so I know the stress levels will be lower and fun is favored over accomplishment.

You need to research the guild you are going to join as much as you do the game. That way you won't need to guild hop. Here are some tips.

They should have a website
    If you can, read their forums
    You may want to make sure they have Discord
    RP, PvP etc all that needs to be checked
    Casual to Hardcore
    Really not sure? Create a low level alt and have them join first to check them out. These days though accounts are often linked to avatars and that is displayed in game so you can't always do that.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I had a lot of fun in pickup groups in UO, EQ, and WoW myself.  Sometimes there were problems, but it was usually amusing.  The worst part was getting out of a group once in it.  The people didn't want you to leave for one reason or another.
    AlBQuirky
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2018
    Exclusive PVE healing and tanking is something you do for friends and family in a more intimate set-up. Trying to shoe horn that experience with strangers is always hit or miss, mostly miss.

Folks wanted to be joined at the hip to the trinity concept. Gonna have to understand why it doesn't really have a place in MMORPGs.

Making complete strangers accountable for their own health bar is smarter.
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited April 2018
    Hariken said:
    Last time i played a healer was in Lotro. Loved the Minstrel class. But the way people play in groups today forget about it. I wouldn't waste my time with a healer class today. In lotro i only played with guild mates and RL friends so it was great. The group finding tools used today are crap because most of the people you get teamed up with are crap. Its no wonder why people like to solo play in mmo's today. ESO is so big because of all the solo content. But the group content turns people away. Playing group content in ESO is a nightmare for most. Just read the forums over at ESO. 
    Thats why Asheron's Call is great because 90% of content is soloable.  I want to spend most of my time soloing things, where I want to  go, where I want to kill, whatever I want to do= FREEDOM!

Thats why I don't play mmorpg that requires group at end game.  It is a plague that have to stuck with other players to go through the content.  It feels wasting so much time for nothing if not successful.
    [Deleted User]TheScavengeriixviiiixAlBQuirky

Kain_Dale

Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Healing in all MMOs is more about experience with the game - and especially experience with specific dungeons. I would never presume to go into a game and just roll a healer and try to bumble my way through it as a know-nothing noob no matter how many YT videos I watched.

Learn the game as a DPS and only then roll a healer. This has always worked for me as someone who ends-up being a healer at end-game more often than not.
    I think people have this misconception that if you've played on MMO you're can drop in and rock any of them the same.

Your way is what works for me too. DPS is the way to start off in an MMO, then healing. When I want to start healing I go into public dungeons or world events and heal boss fights.

I get wanting to jump right into healing. Rift Prime has a rushed feeling to it. Everyone is trying to get to cap as fast as possible, get world first, get into the raids, and go go go. It's a combination of the pressure of a time-limited fast content release server and players rushing. It doesn't leave a lot of room for people like Delete to get up to speed. Also, the class and dungeon balance is rubbish like Leiloni pointed out.

I can't say anything about Prime as I haven't tried it but I played Rift a lot back when it first released and healed with a Chloro - not that I didn't like the Clerics but because I was tickled pink someone had finally done a mage healer right. Loved healing through damage done with the occasional direct heal too of course.

The few times I've fired it up since those days has been to mostly solo with a Harbinger/Chloro... I wouldn't have a clue about the ins and outs of healing in Rift these days :)
    BruceYee
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Not that I'm making a big deal over it, but since the topic is still up, I'm breaking down the situation in my head. 

Realm of the Fae - I don't remember the exact details, but 16 to 19 level.  The tank was much more than that something like 22, I was 18 and all dps were 16. 

One problem with LFD in all games is,  groups are usually "always minimum level".  That right their always makes a healers job hard.  

Because of the large swing in levels between tank and all others: 
    -Tank was self sufficient, not needing heals. 
    -When healed, the healing was weak. 
    -When low dps took damage they are dead instantly. 
    -Because the tank was high level, "he decided to speed run".  

In less than 10 minuets we were 3/4 way through.  What ?.....Are dungeons now only a fast mini game ? 

I'm not sure if I could justify it, but I'm starting to blame LFD and the game itself.  Players will "always" do what a game allows them to do !!!!!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not that I'm making a big deal over it, but since the topic is still up, I'm breaking down the situation in my head. 

Realm of the Fae - I don't remember the exact details, but 16 to 19 level.  The tank was much more than that something like 22, I was 18 and all dps were 16. 

One problem with LFD in all games is,  groups are usually "always minimum level".  That right their always makes a healers job hard.  

In less than 10 minuets we were 3/4 way through.  What ?.....Are dungeons now only a fast mini game ? 

I'm not sure if I could justify it, but I'm starting to blame LFD and the game itself.  Players will "always" do what a game allows them to do !!!!!
    LFD is likely one of those 'necessary evils' that without which probably a fair number of players would not be able to experience the content the games make available, of course there are tales of speed runners and other questionable tactics that really are more about grinding for items than actually experiencing the game, but that doesn't mean that there are not also some pretty good examples where players make new friends etc. where they have actually enjoyed the experience. You are more likely to hear about the bad than the good after all.
    Without LFD and other features like that, then its entirely probable that a significant percentage of the game will be 'locked off' from a portion of the games playerbase and not sadly because the players don't have a wish to experience it either, i seem to remember it was for this reason that Blizzard introduced those features in the first place, because only a relatively small percentage of the playerbase was actually engaging with the raid content, and to some degree, the Dungeon content, which for a PVE focused game means that a lot of time and resources had been spent on content that most players never even experienced. So there is the good and there is the bad, or as so often seems the case, a necessary evil. :/
    Phry said:

LFD is likely one of those 'necessary evils' that without which probably a fair number of players would not be able to experience the content the games make available, of course there are tales of speed runners and other questionable tactics that really are more about grinding for items than actually experiencing the game, but that doesn't mean that there are not also some pretty good examples where players make new friends etc. where they have actually enjoyed the experience. You are more likely to hear about the bad than the good after all.
    Without LFD and other features like that, then its entirely probable that a significant percentage of the game will be 'locked off' from a portion of the games playerbase and not sadly because the players don't have a wish to experience it either, i seem to remember it was for this reason that Blizzard introduced those features in the first place, because only a relatively small percentage of the playerbase was actually engaging with the raid content, and to some degree, the Dungeon content, which for a PVE focused game means that a lot of time and resources had been spent on content that most players never even experienced. So there is the good and there is the bad, or as so often seems the case, a necessary evil. :/
    Part of running dungeons with random strangers is being tolerant and going with the flow. I run them all the time with ADD speed runners, with new players, with Chatty Cathy and Silent Bob... I seldom have problems with anyone.

By my estimation the PUGs I run where someone rage quits or needs to be kicked are maybe 1 in 20. I'll take those odds for the fun of the other 19.
    PhrygunklackerkitaradScotimmodium

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Wasn't part of Rift's niche was that it wasn't trinity oriented? The new trend of everyone can do everything?
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    There should be the pious pentad 

1) tank for boss 
    2) healer
    3) dps for boss 
    4) summoner for adds control 
    5) buffer with 3 to 20 second duration buffs to make it an active thing 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Flyte27 said:
    I had a lot of fun in pickup groups in UO, EQ, and WoW myself.  Sometimes there were problems, but it was usually amusing.  The worst part was getting out of a group once in it.  The people didn't want you to leave for one reason or another.
    I experienced this in EQ, also. Leaving was not easy and it felt good to be "wanted." Yes, I had awful pug experiences, too, but many of them were fun for the most part.
    ScotFlyte27

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well this thread is a very good one to support what i have been saying a longtime...FFXI>ALL the rest.
    You see in aFFXI,having better gear or higher numbers can be a detriment because combat is/was all about the group  as a whole and NOT the individual.

So wtf am i talking about?Well if a healer does such high healing it over powers the dps and or tank and or other healer/s they draw hate/aggression and that can be death IF the game /combat is difficult and not just doing some fly by night errands.
    It is also another reason i don't like games utilizing plate healers,it ruins the integrity of the combat and the players.
    A healer should be well versed in how much healing they can do and they should be at risk so as to NOT spam healing,there should ALWAYS be risk versus reward.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.