Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frontier Announces End of Mac Support - Elite: Dangerous - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFrontier Announces End of Mac Support - Elite: Dangerous - MMORPG.com

Elite: Dangerous News - The Elite: Dangerous site has been updated with a brief note to announce that the game will no longer be supported on Mac gaming systems after the release of the Q4 update. Developers wrote, "Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to bring Elite Dangerous Horizons to Mac since launch due to technical barriers."

Read the full story here

Comments

• KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I have never known anyone who uses a Mac, and i've been around a long time
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

KaliGold said:

who uses a mac or who plays games on a mac?

My main computer is a mac. I have a few game on it but I mostly use it for my creative work.
    postlarvalOzmodan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    It's because Apple dumped OpenGL and now exclusively uses Metal.  The next OS will not be released for non-metal capable machines.  It's the same reason a lot of Mac users won't be continuing on with WoW come the next expansion.  Metal.
    KyleranAethaerynwingoodScot
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Almost wish E:D had taken the low road and stated it as such, "Apple done gone full retard, we ain't with that. Peace out Mac Scouts."

Really though, there should probably be an article about what Apple is doing. This initially sounded to me like there was a problem with Frontier instead of an issue with Apple.
    Kyleran
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

btdt said:

It's because Apple dumped OpenGL and now exclusively uses Metal.  The next OS will not be released for non-metal capable machines.  It's the same reason a lot of Mac users won't be continuing on with WoW come the next expansion.  Metal.

Good I'm tired of Mac Fanboys tbh. You support someone who ruins the future of compatibility this much you really should not be supporting it.
    xxBoneZxxOzmodan

SNIP

• NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    who uses mac for gaming anyways lol
    WraithoneTxChiefxxBoneZxxWalkinGlennwingoodInteritus
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    who uses mac for gaming anyways lol
    I do.  It's my main rig.  My Toshiba laptop is secondary.
    KillaZIlla13TheScavengerpostlarvalxxBoneZxxSovrathWalkinGlennOzmodan

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Apple and all thier products suck in so many ways, except their marketing.  Screw them and their proprietary BS.
    KillaZIlla13KyleranxxBoneZxxAsm0deusbartoni33
  • coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76

Dvora said:

Apple and all thier products suck in so many ways, except their marketing.  Screw them and their proprietary BS.

What's it like to be so full of denial that you appear to be a slobbering idiot? Apple makes world class products that creatives such as myself and many others use to create graphics, music, and more. They simply don't make "gaming" machines. I own a gaming PC, Ps4, and Wii U for my gaming needs. I own a Mac for literally everything else because they are ultra reliable and easy to use.
    TheScavengerSovrathJeroKanezigalucardOzmodan
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191

Dvora said:

Not a fan of Apple at all but even I have to give it to em, when it comes to their UI, it shits all over Windows.
    MikehaTheScavengerpostlarvalJeroKane
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Dvora said:

What's it like to be so full of denial that you appear to be a slobbering idiot? Apple makes world class products that creatives such as myself and many others use to create graphics, music, and more. They simply don't make "gaming" machines. I own a gaming PC, Ps4, and Wii U for my gaming needs. I own a Mac for literally everything else because they are ultra reliable and easy to use.

Solid computers.. yes... User friendly... No... Not even close.

Or to be more exact.. As long as you ONLY use the APPLE eco-system things are peachy. If you happen to be one of the unfortunate souls who for an example have a Iphone and a PC... It was and partially still is a proper fight to get things to work in a smart way.

And now it sounds as if APPLE is going deeper in to that rabbit-hole.

So.. Sure... You can overpay for a closed eco system and pray that you never have to leave it.

Or you can stay on PC + Android for phones. (and this comes from someone who have had to suffer trough the Iphone + PC ordeal for years)

MadFrenchieDarkpigeonTheScavengerbartoni33Liljna

This have been a good conversation

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    tawess said:

Dvora said:

Solid computers.. yes... User friendly... No... Not even close.

Or to be more exact.. As long as you ONLY use the APPLE eco-system things are peachy. If you happen to be one of the unfortunate souls who for an example have a Iphone and a PC... It was and partially still is a proper fight to get things to work in a smart way.

And now it sounds as if APPLE is going deeper in to that rabbit-hole.

So.. Sure... You can overpay for a closed eco system and pray that you never have to leave it.

Or you can stay on PC + Android for phones. (and this comes from someone who have had to suffer trough the Iphone + PC ordeal for years)

Agreed- for private end-users, the benefits don't seem to outweigh the compatibility issues.

I agree with others in that supporting Apple's "fuck you if you use anything other than our products" stance is harmful to consumers in general.
    KyleranTheScavengercmacq[Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Dvora said:

Filthy casual, computing is supposed to "hurt" and be restricted to the realms of techno "wizards. "

;)
    PhaserlightAethaeryncoleman11b

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

Dvora said:

What's it like to be so brainwashed by the MAC "culture" that you actually believe that their products are user friendly, quality or even remote needed when there are either equivalent or superior alternatives on the PC. Apple makes derivative products that are overpriced and not user friendly that cater to people who believe marketing and hype more than actual substance or cost effectiveness or even compatibility.

You went and bought a mac when you had a perfectly usable PC that could do everything the mac can do and more.

Honestly, if that picture on your avatar is you, you even LOOK like a typical hipster mac user. You should honestly be in their commercials as you look exactly like what most of us picture MAC users to look like. If that isn't you, i'm guessing it was taken IN an Apple store.
    [Deleted User]TheScavengerKyleranAethaerynGdemamibartoni33ReaperUkzigalucardcoleman11b[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    The reason I suspect?

KaliGoldKyleranMadFrenchiewingood[Deleted User]Roin
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    DMKano said:
    KaliGold said:
    Must not know many music composers, image/video editors, web designers etc....

At every company I worked at - those are your mac users
    Yep. Been working for startups for the past 15 years and no one uses Windows. 

I work for a cybersecurity company now. If I showed up with a Windows computer, they'd throw me out the window (no pun intended).

KaliGold said:
    You should get out more.

btdt said:
    WTF??? WoW has been using Metal on OSX/macOS since 2016.

KyleranGdemami

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited April 2018

Apple makes world class products that creatives such as myself and many others use to create graphics, music, and more. They simply don't make "gaming" machines.

You're correct. But too many people buy an Apple product, then they think they can use any software they want, and play any game they want. And when they find out they can't, they start crying all over the internet.

People will now finally realize: Apple is NOT for gaming.
    Kyleranwingood
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I have a Mac and I use it to train my goldfish; iMac G3 refurbished into a small aquarium. I wouldn't use a Mac for anything else. 
    KyleranGobstopper3DPhaserlight
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited April 2018
    DMKano said:
    KaliGold said:
    Must not know many music composers, image/video editors, web designers etc....

At every company I worked at - those are your mac users
    Yep. Been working for startups for the past 15 years and no one uses Windows. 

I work for a cybersecurity company now. If I showed up with a Windows computer, they'd throw me out the window (no pun intended).

KaliGold said:
    You should get out more.

btdt said:
    WTF??? WoW has been using Metal on OSX/macOS since 2016.

I work for a major financial institution, pretty much nothing but Windows, Linux but not any MACs, even in cyber security.

Probably have some in marketing somewhere though.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Real gamers don't use Macs
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    (shrug) I have a PC Gaming rig.... spouse has a Mac. It's her business. But it does everything and then some and often better than a PC and with less chance of Virus'.

But hey, you guys can continue crap talking platforms or whatever....
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well Macs got their start in the creative professions by having an easy to use at the time interface. There was no Windows then. Thus they establish presence there and maintained it for quite awhile til Windows came. As more and more PCs pickup Windows and some of those people started asking the software makers of creative products, well with the market that big Mac no longer had the exclusiveness for creative people. Now you can see Windows versions of some very well know formerly exclusive Mac software. But like what was said earlier, Macs never really gaming machines to start with.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2018
    I don't even use Macs for creative work anymore. Makes 0 sense. Apple put itself on an island and prefers to pander to slobbering hype beasts in the smartphone/wearable space. The whole mac/creative dynamic died for straight up creatives YEARS ago. The negatives outweigh the positives.

If you seriously game on a Mac and have a choice to do otherwise you're an idiot and it's really not up for debate. I'm sorry (not sorry).

P.S. The only creatives still latching on to Apple do so because:
    • They're stuck in a silly Mac ecosystem at work
    • Are out of touch hipster weenies who need wood tables + gourmet coffee + kale smoothies + a mac book to feel creative
    • Don't know any better or are intimidated by Windows OS and having to be a responsible adult with their tools.
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    KyleranzigalucardScotRoin[Deleted User]Liljna
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Landicho8712Landicho8712 Member CommonPosts: 6
    I had a mac because I wanted to see if it was worth compared to my high end gaming system. Sadly it's a waste since I can do everything on my pc compared to a mac but with more freedom. My gf got a mac before I met her. The rig was great but sadly what did I need to install on it. Windows lol. Mac is useless. It's just another hardware that's gold plated and is viewed to be a useful item. In the end pc users will always have the user hand. When Mac comes out with a gaming system compatible to handles other games that isn't Mac fri3ndly then I might get it. Until then it's just a useless tech.
    postlarval
  • Landicho8712Landicho8712 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Also that's why elite dangerous doing this cause they found out Mac was just trash for their games
    postlarval