Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"There are no MMORPGs worth playing anymore" myth or reality?

1235»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:

Sovrath said:

Up above you say that to you there are two types of players ... Well, to me there are two types of people, those who Do, who find solutions, who recognize "how it is" and find meaning within that; people who make things happen, and those who complain and prefer gripe because they can't make things happen or things don't manifest how "they think it should be" so they just sit like a lump and look at everything with a jaundiced eye.

And sadly that translates to life outside of gaming as well.

And I should apologize for seeming a bit accusatory there but that is my issue; I have problems with people who are the latter and not the former.
    You are completely missing the point. The solutions should be implemented by the developer. I do not understand the people who complain about bugs, and servers stability, but say nothing about the bad gameplay. When I played BDO I was in guild, did raids, node wars, guild quests even exp parties. But with singleplayer PvE and pointless PvP, the long term goals simply do not exist. And they are essential for any MMORPG. If I want just to PvP, well any action game or moba is far better than BDO. If I want to PvE, well DS games are far better than BDO. But I want to play a MMORPG, and BDO is not such. As a player with L2 and EVE experience you should understand better what I mean.
    Well, apparently I don't require the developers to hold my hand.

And "yeah" in Lineage 2 I mostly soloed but also grouped when it was fun to do so.

I just don't require someone to show me the way.

So yeah I group in black desert and Elder Scrolls Online when it's fun to do so. I define my experience.
    The games have rules, that define the gameplay. If you take a simple game with cards and change the rules, you will have entirely different game. The videogames give more food to the imagination, but still the rules define them. In L2 grouping was meaningful because of the multiplayer competition and there were rules for cooperative playing - the holy trinity. You can play solitaire with another person, cooperatively, but still it is not a multiplayer game.
    WE can go back forth all you want but the truth is that there are still people grouping in these games and having fun doing it.

Your problem is that unless the developers spell it out for you you can't do it. Great, that's your thing but that's not going to stop people from grouping and having fun.

And as I've said, I soloed more in Lineage 2 than I grouped and got very high level at the time. Do I prefer the world and land ownership in Lineage 2? Absolutely.

But even if I were to go back to Lineage 2 it would be a different game. So "I" choose Black Desert for now and group when I want.

The thing is, unless some game comes out that is group focused (Pantheon) you are going to have a hard time ever playing another mmorpg ever again.

In which case, this genre might be over for you.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:

Sovrath said:

Up above you say that to you there are two types of players ... Well, to me there are two types of people, those who Do, who find solutions, who recognize "how it is" and find meaning within that; people who make things happen, and those who complain and prefer gripe because they can't make things happen or things don't manifest how "they think it should be" so they just sit like a lump and look at everything with a jaundiced eye.

And sadly that translates to life outside of gaming as well.

And I should apologize for seeming a bit accusatory there but that is my issue; I have problems with people who are the latter and not the former.
    You are completely missing the point. The solutions should be implemented by the developer. I do not understand the people who complain about bugs, and servers stability, but say nothing about the bad gameplay. When I played BDO I was in guild, did raids, node wars, guild quests even exp parties. But with singleplayer PvE and pointless PvP, the long term goals simply do not exist. And they are essential for any MMORPG. If I want just to PvP, well any action game or moba is far better than BDO. If I want to PvE, well DS games are far better than BDO. But I want to play a MMORPG, and BDO is not such. As a player with L2 and EVE experience you should understand better what I mean.
    Well, apparently I don't require the developers to hold my hand.

And "yeah" in Lineage 2 I mostly soloed but also grouped when it was fun to do so.

I just don't require someone to show me the way.

So yeah I group in black desert and Elder Scrolls Online when it's fun to do so. I define my experience.
    The games have rules, that define the gameplay. If you take a simple game with cards and change the rules, you will have entirely different game. The videogames give more food to the imagination, but still the rules define them. In L2 grouping was meaningful because of the multiplayer competition and there were rules for cooperative playing - the holy trinity. You can play solitaire with another person, cooperatively, but still it is not a multiplayer game.
    WE can go back forth all you want but the truth is that there are still people grouping in these games and having fun doing it.

Your problem is that unless the developers spell it out for you you can't do it. Great, that's your thing but that's not going to stop people from grouping and having fun.

And as I've said, I soloed more in Lineage 2 than I grouped and got very high level at the time. Do I prefer the world and land ownership in Lineage 2? Absolutely.

But even if I were to go back to Lineage 2 it would be a different game. So "I" choose Black Desert for now and group when I want.

The thing is, unless some game comes out that is group focused (Pantheon) you are going to have a hard time ever playing another mmorpg ever again.

In which case, this genre might be over for you.
    You do not make the rules, even in EVE, they let to you choose, but that is part of the game. Every MMORPG should be group focused. You say literally - you play as you want, so there are not bad games, if you do not enjoy a game it is your own fault. I think such a point is absurd. For me some MMORPGs are well designed, most are not. Even BDO - it had entirely different rules in the betas. Then they were changed because of the marketing. The gameplay became more and more singleplayer. At the end we all saw what the publisher wants - a mobile game. ESO is catering the ES players, that is why it is singleplayer in the core. GW2 - three different and separated games - moba, PvP arenas, and singleplayer RPG. That is how I see the things. There are very few games on the market that worth the title MMORPG.
    Well ...

A, great, that's your opinion all around and not one that I share. MY opinion is that these things should be worlds and sometimes things are going to require large amounts of people and sometimes not. Having a fully group oriented mmo is more "game" than world because in the real world we don't spend every hour of our time with other people. Heck, I'm an extrovert and I don't spend all my time with people.

This is ok, I'm fine with games being more "one thing or another". But my idea of an mmo is "world".

B, then what I said stands and unless you decide to join Pantheon this genre is going to be over for you. Unless you know of another mmo(rpg) that is coming down the pike. Maybe Ashes? I would find it hard to believe that Ashes of Creation will be solely group content.

Otherwise, all you will be doing is wailing and gnashing your teeth. That might be good for you but I don't think most people will find that a good way to be.
    Panther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited April 2018
    Oh I dislike PvP so I would not have PvPed in BDO in any case.  I enjoyed the world chatting with others in game and talking about trade routes and breeding horses. 

I am playing in a world with other people. It is not a single player game at all. I need to trade and prices fluctuate on the trading depending on what others are selling. I am interacting with others. I also completed that scroll thing cannot recall exactly the term, the one for killing bosses with other people in groups.

Problem with you @ikcin is it's my way or the highway definition. We all play games differently.

Ever since I started in Everquest in 1999 I have always participated in online worlds and that includes talking and socializing. You don't consider that as playing in an online world but I disagree. You're miserable in this quest of yours I'm not. I find pleasure in other games and you find faults. I think I prefer my view since I have fun in games like ESO , BDO .

When I was playing Everquest 2 I had one goal mainly and that was to decorate various homes I owned so my grouping consisted of trying to get rare drops of monster parts for lore and legend and for getting rare crafting materials. By your definition I was probably playing a single player game but I was in many, many groups playing and getting my materials and then crafting and arranging my furniture for hours. I was also a paid interior decorator in EQ2. I was very,very happy in that game. There is a thread I created here on the forums where I logged in EQ2 and took screenshots and put them all up here. Lot of people commented on the sheer amount of time I must have devoted to the house. Lot of the materials I could not have soloed they dropped off raids. You have no idea how rewarding it was to craft and see what you created in Everquest 2 and without other people helping me I would not have been able to do that.

My adventuring in EQ2 was only incidental when I needed to raise my carpentry or other crafter. I made money by playing every single crafter and selling and people would visit my homes and tell me what a beautiful home I had. Here you're telling me I was just playing a single player game when I could not have exhibited my home if others did not visit it.

I am playing Path of Exile right now and I interact with others in that game too everyday. I am currently visiting hideouts to see how others decorate them and getting tips from them on how to create a look. I also spend a lot of time helping people complete labyrinth and helping others. Perhaps searching for definitions and sticking to them isn't the way to enjoy games. Try to find joy in them instead. I'd like to know who said that the only way to play an online game with others is to kill them and get territory or grouping for that purpose. How limited in imagination is that exercise?
    Post edited by cheyane on
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Gorwe said:
    ikcin said:
    cheyane said:
    I think BDO, ESO are great games. I loved BDO. I loved farming and breeding horses and riding my wagon.

Obviously you love singleplayer games, as none of that is multiplayer.

kjempff said:
    There are 3 kinds of mmo players.

For me there are two types of players - multiplayer and singleplayer. The first kind want to play with other people, they like PvP, grouping, raids, wars, and any kind of multiplayer activity.

And as to compete with other people is much more harder and challenging than to beat the AI, these players also like to take risks in games.

The second kind want to play solo. They dislike PvP or want to do it when they are ready - OP, or equalized, at a safe way. They do not like grouping, and find the raids too hasty.

The majority of the players are between these two types of behavior. There is not a PvP vs PvE conflict. The actual clash is singleplayer vs multiplayer behavior.

One could almost say...Introversion and Extraversion? ;)

Nothing like a bit of pop psychology in gaming to sort out player issues that have been dogging us for decades. :)
    GorweKyleran
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    ikcin said:
    cheyane said:
    I think BDO, ESO are great games. I loved BDO. I loved farming and breeding horses and riding my wagon.

Obviously you love singleplayer games, as none of that is multiplayer.

kjempff said:
    There are 3 kinds of mmo players.

For me there are two types of players - multiplayer and singleplayer. The first kind want to play with other people, they like PvP, grouping, raids, wars, and any kind of multiplayer activity.

And as to compete with other people is much more harder and challenging than to beat the AI, these players also like to take risks in games.

The second kind want to play solo. They dislike PvP or want to do it when they are ready - OP, or equalized, at a safe way. They do not like grouping, and find the raids too hasty.

The majority of the players are between these two types of behavior. There is not a PvP vs PvE conflict. The actual clash is singleplayer vs multiplayer behavior.

One could almost say...Introversion and Extraversion? ;)

Nothing like a bit of pop psychology in gaming to sort out player issues that have been dogging us for decades. :)

It is proven psychology. Whether it is pop is irrelevant. Now, MBTI, Enneagram etc are all perfect examples of pop psychology. Big 5 isn't. Though MBTI seems to want to transcend its limitations.

Besides, you can't overlook how some players don't care at all about other people or use them as means to an end while others enjoy chatting, partying, RPing etc. Basically, it'd come down to this question:

Group Experience is:

-> Annoying, useless and boring
    -> Exciting, enriching and interesting

While I do like discussing things, I'd peg myself into category number 1. The lack of discipline of an average PUG player and that my own fun depends on someone else actually pisses all over my fun. If I want to have fun, I don't want to depend on anyone else. It's either fun or it isn't. For true Extraverts, that isn't true. They don't really care about the object as much as they care about their company, emotional atmosphere etc

This is impossible not to notice.

I am not saying there is no rational here, but easy fit pop psychology has a tendency to...fit easily into any given issue. The idea that all people can be put into one of only two groups is just a huge generalisation. But the idea that we can have elements of such behaviour, then certainly I agree.

An individual will not find all group experience boring or interesting, it depends on what the experience is. Lets take a person who prefers to live with other people, not on their own; is this because they are extrovert, they lived with a lot of siblings when younger or because living with a lot of siblings made them somewhat extrovert? It just does not have the nuance to be applied with any certainty. But then I think that's the case of psychology in general, guess work that passes as a science.
    edited April 2018
    ikcin said:
    cheyane said:
    Oh I dislike PvP so I would not have PvPed in BDO in any case.  I enjoyed the world chatting with others in game and talking about trade routes and breeding horses. 

I am playing in a world with other people. It is not a single player game at all. I need to trade and prices fluctuate on the trading depending on what others are selling. I am interacting with others. I also completed that scroll thing cannot recall exactly the term, the one for killing bosses with other people in groups.

Problem with you @ikcin is it's my way or the highway definition. We all play games differently.

Ever since I started in Everquest in 1999 I have always participated in online worlds and that includes talking and socializing. You don't consider that as playing in an online world but I disagree. You're miserable in this quest of yours I'm not. I find pleasure in other games and you find faults. I think I prefer my view since I have fun in games like ESO , BDO .

When I was playing Everquest 2 I had one goal mainly and that was to decorate various homes I owned so my grouping consisted of trying to get rare drops of monster parts for lore and legend and for getting rare crafting materials. By your definition I was probably playing a single player game but I was in many, many groups playing and getting my materials and then crafting and arranging my furniture for hours. I was also a paid interior decorator in EQ2. I was very,very happy in that game. There is a thread I created here on the forums where I logged in EQ2 and took screenshots and put them all up here. Lot of people commented on the sheer amount of time I must have devoted to the house. Lot of the materials I could not have soloed they dropped off raids. You have no idea how rewarding it was to craft and see what you created in Everquest 2 and without other people helping me I would not have been able to do that.

My adventuring in EQ2 was only incidental when I needed to raise my carpentry or other crafter. I made money by playing every single crafter and selling and people would visit my homes and tell me what a beautiful home I had. Here you're telling me I was just playing a single player game when I could not have exhibited my home if others did not visit it.

I am playing Path of Exile right now and I interact with others in that game too everyday. I am currently visiting hideouts to see how others decorate them and getting tips from them on how to create a look. I also spend a lot of time helping people complete labyrinth and helping others. Perhaps searching for definitions and sticking to them isn't the way to enjoy games. Try to find joy in them instead. I'd like to know who said that the only way to play an online game with others is to kill them and get territory or grouping for that purpose. How limited in imagination is that exercise?
    Chat is not playing, also the auction house. If that is your "multiplayer" activity in BDO you play a singleplayer game. I see the games as they are, without all the visual delusion - algorithms for physics and sets of rules. My point is just objective. Do not get me wrong I enjoy the beauty of design, but I do not fall so deep into my personal delusion to stop seeing the game.
    What auction house? I am talking about trading with the wagons and NPCs going from place to place selling the goods I got my workers to make. Did you even play BDO?

You're a waste of time to talk to. Of course chatting is interaction. You have no concept of multiplayer games. You're so hung up on your ideas you have lost the the joy of interaction in games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited April 2018
    I find no shortage of MMOs to play. I think the lack of new MMOs is the issue, but that seems like it is going to start not being as bad starting with the release of Bless. 

The MMOs I think are worth playing, to some degree are GW2, BDO,WoW,Archeage (with FS only), Blade & Soul, ESO, FF14, and SWTOR. Those are the ones that I feel get the most content updates and are worth revisiting from time to time. Personally I don't think any current MMOs are games you want to stick with for more then a couple of months though. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Myth for some reality for others.
    Kyleran

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I think you did not trade in BDO which explains why you cannot understand what I am referring to.  The prices of what you are trying to sell in the different towns depend on what other players have sold within a period of time.

So you are definitely not playing a single player game when you're trading in BDO. 

I think my aggressive presumptions are based on the way you talked about PvE players which is what I am . I also dislike games that force me to PvP so I took umbrage at many of your insulting references both here and in other threads with regards to players like me who are destroying the prospect of the type of games you want. I think you give the PvE players too much credit. Try talking to the developers if you want a change. 
    Chamber of Chains
    What no PvE players so now you're arguing about accepted concepts. There have always been PvE players. Most developers even label their servers as PvE and PvP. 

You're in the twilight zone is it. Like I said waste of time.
    Phry
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Over the last 5 years nothing i have read about or seen has changed my thoughts on the next best mmorpg.

Sadly that next best is going to be on mobile,the FfXI reboot,who knows if it turns out great or not,that depends on Nexxon a greedy mobile publisher.If Nexxon doesn't screw it up and the playable/viewable screen is doable,then it will be the only option worth investing in.

There is an extreme long shot on pantheon,everything else looks like trash.On paper COE could be doable but i see that as a long shot as well,knowing they don't really have the team or money and will be dangerously close to p2w at some point after release.I am not even sure i like the COE design anyhow.

The market right now is too easy for developers to just take NO risk with very low budget games,it is like that old saying,throw enough dirt at the wall and something might stick.I mean devs can turnover a pile of these crappy games in hopes one strikes it rich,while on the flip side the cannot afford to fail if a high budget game fails.

So this is why we keep getting only the established vets attemtping a mmorpg and with that you get SAME OLD nothing new and creative.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited April 2018
    It all comes down to what you are looking for...If you want more of the same then yes theres alot of that.....If you're looking for a brand new sandbox PVE world to explore that game may never exist again.
    Kyleran
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    "Chasing the dragon" is what the OP is talking about but that fades over time for some. It took me about 7 years. There are more game options right now then there have ever been in the history of gaming so that's one thing on your side in your search. If you really enjoy gaming my suggestion is to play all kinds of games and find parts of those games you really enjoy and you may be surprised to realize that what you find may not even be in a MMO. Find that first time feeling I could not, but I did find some similar experiences of aspects I loved in my first game spread across many.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I lost a lot of my good friends that I played Everquest, AO, WoW, LotRO, AoC, FFXI, CoX so games have lost some of its appeal. It's who you play with more that what game you're playing I think as far as I'm concerned.

I think many of us find we may not like the people we are playing with and that diminishes the fun one might find in a game.
    Kyleran

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    ikcin said:
    cheyane said:
    What no PvE players so now you're arguing about accepted concepts. There have always been PvE players. Most developers even label their servers as PvE and PvP. 

You're in the twilight zone is it. Like I said waste of time.

There are not PvP or PvE players. You are a solo player, maybe a bit cooperative, but not much obviously. What developers do is to make servers with lower and higher risk. And most players play on the servers with lower risk, pretty rational behavior. But it depends on the game design. No one will play on PvE L2 server for example. Most people will play on PvE WoW server. And there is not need of such servers in games like GW2, ESO, and BDO, where the fight vs players is totally separated and has no consequences in the game. You repetitively claim - very rude, that talking to me is a waste of time, but you keep doing it. Every MMO game has PvP, in some of them it is a dress up competition, in some it is simulation of fighting other toons, controlled by players.
    In that case trading in BDO is a form of PVP, one example would be imp delivery, particularly with port ratt goods to in one example at least, Altinova, there is a very limited number of goods that can be traded this way, and its very lucrative, a full cargo of imp delivery trade goods can be worth 10's of millions of silver, but only if you manage to get there first. There are cannons on those ships for a reason  :p
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited April 2018
    yea, really weird why there is no mmo having:

the perfect level system, a never ending story, perfect pvp match and make all classes balanced but "theirs" the best.

i call bullshit. there are enough mmos. players just got bitchy.

it's about the same attitude that makes players in shoters call for a "report" as soon someone killed em. can't be legit! they are the best! NO ONE CAN KILL EM! (playing on bronze or silver... right)
    [Deleted User]KylerananemoScot

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited April 2018
    Thane said:
    yea, really weird why there is no mmo having:

the perfect level system, a never ending story, perfect pvp match and make all classes balanced but "theirs" the best.

i call bullshit. there are enough mmos. players just got bitchy.

it's about the same attitude that makes players in shoters call for a "report" as soon someone killed em. can't be legit! they are the best! NO ONE CAN KILL EM! (playing on bronze or silver... right)

I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting more from our MMOs, I do think some posters don't realise how difficult some of their proposed ideas are and unfairly belittle anything that does not come up to their standards.

And when it comes to player deaths always remember:

If someone on your team got killed its "Those bastards"
    If you got killed its "Those cheating bastards"
    If you someone on your team kills one of them its "Well done mate"
    If you kill one of them its "Got one of the cheating bastards"  :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    [Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    ikcin said:
    I do not think there are PvE players. What means PvE - player who go in MMOs to fight environment?
    I thought PvE meant player vs enemy. Have I been wrong this whole time?
    klash2defTillerKyleran
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    ikcin said:
    I do not think there are PvE players. What means PvE - player who go in MMOs to fight environment?
    lol yes, you have been wrong this entire time.  PVE= Player vs Environment 
    KyleranGorwe
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    The best MMO on the market is "mmorpg.com forum"

warning: it is a full loot PVP game but its the best F2P game on the market. 
    KyleranScot
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    ikcin said:
    You have been working way too hard my friend.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I actually Lol'd

I guess it makes sense when I die to traps in Path of Exile. I do know that PvP means player vs player though. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.