Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - First Impressions of Summerset - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online - First Impressions of Summerset - MMORPG.com

Oh boy! I’ve been enjoying the Summerset Beta, I won’t be talking about everything that I have done so far since we don’t have enough time for that. Instead, I really want to talk about things that have caught my eye and what I’ve done most.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    Is Morrowind and Summerset all top level or do lowbies go their too?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Scot said:

I know Morrowind is mostly anyone due to the scaling so I'm sure summerset will work the same way. Expansions seem to have just added more things for everyone to do, not a fake carrot that only high levels can chase like in FFXIV/WoW/etc.
    Jammer480Phry
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2018
    Scot said:
    All content available to any levels.

That is not to say there are not easier mobs, "more difficult" boss mobs - as there ; swarms of mobs that are harder etc. - as there are in all regions except the starter islands which are aimed at helping new players get to know the game mechanics.
    Jammer480[Deleted User]chocolate42069
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yep, and like Morrowind, if you want to START with Summerset, you only need to buy Summerset.
    Jammer480[Deleted User]chocolate42069Phry

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've been spending a lot of time in the PTS also.

You really can't overstate just how frigging beautiful this new area is. It also has a very different feel from all the other zones, including the other High Elf Island, Auridon. Summerset just looks and feels much more tended and manicured than the rest of Tamriel as if you were traveling in the most civilized part of the world - which in a sense you are. The roads look better built, the seashore in cities is built up and manicured with not a spec of sand anywhere. The mob density is even lower in most parts of the island compared to the rest of the world.

I meant to also save the main quest for live but I changed my mind and did it. Can't give you any details since that is only part of this that is under NDA. But I can say that as chained story quests go, this is probably the best one they've ever done. It really is that good and engaging.

On the negative side I have a strong dislike for the way they've implemented jewelry crafting: it is extremely grindy. The resource veins you need to use for gathering is only the first part of the grind as they are much more rare than any other crafting node. But that rarity would be tolerable if it wasn't for the fact that in the refining part, instead of getting the occasional upgrade stones you need to improve the quality of items you instead get 1/10th of a stone that needs to be combined to produce just one.  I expect everything associated with jewelry crafting to be extremely expensive to start and then settle down into being just very expensive. You've been warned :)

[Deleted User]Phry
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Scot said:
    You can play everywhere you want from level 1.  I mean, if you are level 50, mobs will be level 50, if u are level 1, mobs will be level 1. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Scot said:

You would have access to them the second you buy them at any level, it just might be difficult without a little better gear (even though enemies scale to your level).

One little note, once you have Morrowind on your account, your characters always start there, that doesn't mean you can't take a boat over to the other starting zones, but you always start in Morrowind. I personally really like the zone so I'm glad about that.

I can't wait to try Summerset.
    [Deleted User]

One little note, once you have Morrowind on your account, your characters always start there, that doesn't mean you can't take a boat over to the other starting zones, but you always start in Morrowind. I personally really like the zone so I'm glad about that.

This is changing. Once you have Summerset, new characters will start there. It has a new tutorial there as well.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    meet the new expansion, same as the old expansion.
    KalebGraysonthighhighs
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Iselin said:

This is changing. Once you have Summerset, new characters will start there. It has a new tutorial there as well.
    That makes sense, it gets people to populate the newer areas 24/7, it's smart. 
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:

I don't like the idea that you have to start in the new chapter once you own it. I'd only want my AD characters to start there. I just happen always roll AD, but that's beside the point. If the next chapter is in one of the other less hygienic factions I certainly don't want to start there. I doubt they even know what a bath is.
    A lot of people are requesting that now that we have 3 tutorials you get to choose which one a new character does. I don't really care one way or the other but it's good suggestion.
    [Deleted User]JemAs666Phry

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    The fact that ESO hasn't really re-designed or added skill lines to any of the older classes, is the the thing that has kept me from diving back in the most. I just don't understand why there haven't been new skills tree's, new skill options to old trees, much more misc. skill trees. I always thought that would be one of their tactics to keep the game fresh over the years.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2018
    hikaru77 said:
    Scot said:
    You can play everywhere you want from level 1.  I mean, if you are level 50, mobs will be level 50, if u are level 1, mobs will be level 1. 
    Minor point: mobs are "level cp160" and characters below cp160 get a buff that stops them being eaten alive so to speak. The buff diminishes as the character gains in power until they reach cp160. At this point there is no buff - so for the majority of a characters journey to high cp levels there is no scaling whatsoever. Characters continue to gain power after cp160 as well.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Reverielle
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    Albatroes said:

Scot said:

I know Morrowind is mostly anyone due to the scaling so I'm sure summerset will work the same way. Expansions seem to have just added more things for everyone to do, not a fake carrot that only high levels can chase like in FFXIV/WoW/etc.

That's really good because if you want to level up another avatar and want to actually do the quests etc (what I call "playing the MMO") rather than power levelling (which I call "avoiding the MMO") you have a couple of new areas to do that in. :)
    Reverielle
    Scot said:
    Albatroes said:

Scot said:

That's really good because if you want to level up another avatar and want to actually do the quests etc (what I call "playing the MMO") rather than power levelling (which I call "avoiding the MMO") you have a couple of new areas to do that in. :)
    If you already have high CP level characters in ESO, given that Champion Points are account wide, and if you enjoy doing a mix of group dungeons while you quest in a zone, it really takes only 2 zones to level 1-50 (at which point you jump right over to whatever the max CP level is for your account.) Any combination of 2 zones will do so you really do have many, many different ways to level alts and still "play the MMO."

Of course leveling your first on a brand new account to the current CP cap (720) will require many more zones than 2 but you only need to do that once.
    Phry

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Scot said:

The game doesnt really have levels outside of certain dungeons/pvp. Everything in the "openworld" scales and you can even party with high level players and it will scale appropriately.
  • shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105

hikaru77 said:

Scot said:

Which means there is no point in levelling really... so no sense of progression. Getting a level is pretty pointless. Which sums up what they have done to it. Console borefest..
    Psym0n
  • JoeDanJoeDan Member UncommonPosts: 11

Scot said:

All content is level-scaled now.
  • JoeDanJoeDan Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited April 2018
    shassell said:

hikaru77 said:

Scot said:

Which means there is no point in levelling really... so no sense of progression. Getting a level is pretty pointless. Which sums up what they have done to it. Console borefest..
    Not true at all, in fact I see it as the opposite... even though the enemies are scaled, you’re still much stronger as a rank 720 than you are at a much lower level. A lot of games like FFXIV don’t have any real progression at endgame than just slightly higher level gear released every update. This game you can keep improving your stats with champion ranks and getting to 720 will take forever for all but the most dedicated players. What other progression is better than making your character stronger and stronger?
    Post edited by JoeDan on
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133

shassell said:

hikaru77 said:

Scot said:

Oh no at all thankfully.

Whilst leveling is important, arguably the most important aspects are outside of that little number next to your character. Such as;
    Skill tree unlocking,
    Skill tree advancement,
    Individual Skill and morph level progression,
    Skill point acquisition,
    Attribute acquisition,
    Champion Point acquisition and allocation.
    Unlocking Weapon Swapping.
    Even add dye unlocking via achievement completion if you're so inclined (I certainly am!).
    And so on... I'm sure there are others I've left out.

Sure, level and equipment play a role, just like all the traditional MMOs (And ESO certainly contains many traditional elements), but there are a lot of other factors that go into your character's development.

Personally One Tamriel (which included the level scaling update to the game) was the best modification to ESO they could have done.
    IselinAethaeryn[Deleted User]
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Iselin said:
    I've been spending a lot of time in the PTS also.

You really can't overstate just how frigging beautiful this new area is. It also has a very different feel from all the other zones, including the other High Elf Island, Auridon. Summerset just looks and feels much more tended and manicured than the rest of Tamriel as if you were traveling in the most civilized part of the world - which in a sense you are. The roads look better built, the seashore in cities is built up and manicured with not a spec of sand anywhere. The mob density is even lower in most parts of the island compared to the rest of the world.

I meant to also save the main quest for live but I changed my mind and did it. Can't give you any details since that is only part of this that is under NDA. But I can say that as chained story quests go, this is probably the best one they've ever done. It really is that good and engaging.

On the negative side I have a strong dislike for the way they've implemented jewelry crafting: it is extremely grindy. The resource veins you need to use for gathering is only the first part of the grind as they are much more rare than any other crafting node. But that rarity would be tolerable if it wasn't for the fact that in the refining part, instead of getting the occasional upgrade stones you need to improve the quality of items you instead get 1/10th of a stone that needs to be combined to produce just one.  I expect everything associated with jewelry crafting to be extremely expensive to start and then settle down into being just very expensive. You've been warned :)

I agree on the way the zone looks and feels.  I much prefer it to most other areas.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!