Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loot boxes in three video games in violation of gambling legislation (Netherlands)

Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
Lets start with the link:

https://www.koengeens.be/news/2018/04/25/loot-boxen-in-drie-videogames-in-strijd-met-kansspelwetgeving

You can use Google translate to read.

Here is the key info:

The Gaming Commission now judges that this is at least three video games in violation of the gambling legislation. 'An interview with the sector is imminent. It is often children who come into contact with such systems and we can not allow that, 'says Minister of Justice Geens.

In the case of FIFA 18, Overwatch and Counter Strike: Global Offensive, the Gaming Commission considers that the system of loot boxes is a game of chance that is subject to Belgian gaming law

The games with paid loot boxes, as currently offered in our country, are therefore in violation of the gaming legislation and can be dealt with under criminal law. The loot boxes must therefore also be removed. If that does not happen, the operators risk a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to 800,000 euros. When minors are involved, those punishments can be doubled.

There is a bit more there, but this is the key info.

Comments

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    i hope it spreads, though likely it will just be something governments look at as something new to tax and get a piece of the pie rather than shut down.
    Hariken
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Dvora said:
    i hope it spreads, though likely it will just be something governments look at as something new to tax and get a piece of the pie rather than shut down.
    In the U.S. i can see video game lobbyist handing out money to congressmen to stop it here.
    Tiller
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Hariken said:
    Dvora said:
    In the U.S. i can see video game lobbyist handing out money to congressmen to stop it here.
    .and free games and consoles to their kids. Pretty much how it all will play out.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hariken said:
    Dvora said:
    Here in the US we are too busy fighting the war on drugs and sex to go after loot boxes. 

;)
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Hey a link from a poster on his first post! How can I not click that!
    Iselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]