Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games shutting down on June 5th ?

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Forgrimm said:
    I had saw that as well, the timings are weird, either case the company would want to keep the public perception that nothing is happening, so only time tells what consequences it might hit on Daybreak.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    MaxBacon said:
    Forgrimm said:
    I had saw that as well, the timings are weird, either case the company would want to keep the public perception that nothing is happening, so only time tells what consequences it might hit on Daybreak.
    I would imagine that quite a few CV's are getting updated at this point. It doesn't take a genius to see which way the wind is blowing after all. ;)
    SeelinnikoiKyleran
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Elsabolts said:
    They could start having concept sales like Star Citizen.
    SoE as was tried that with Landmark / EQN and for all intents and purposes failed.
    SeelinnikoiGdemami
    As @cameltosis says either way they are likely to be allowed to carry on operating.

Can't see the "facade" that CN don't own DBG working though. Even if they say they don't own it today they bought it from Sony and then (the claim is) divested it to a 3rd party (who just happens to have connections with CN).

Whether it matters will also come down to whether DBG are "profitable" or not; did / do any funding streams rely on the backing of CN; was Epstein paid by DBG or did his remuneration come from CN - assuming the position is required of course etc.

Interesting times may lie ahead.
    KyleranGorwe
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:

Can't see the "facade" that CN don't own DBG working though. Even if they say they don't own it today they bought it from Sony and then (the claim is) divested it to a 3rd party (who just happens to have connections with CN).

A 3rd party whose connections to Columbus Nova were edited on Wikipedia yesterday by now saying he left CN in December 2017.

My link above to his bio in the CN website was current this morning though... probably just haven't gotten around to updating it these past 4 months :)
    Seelinnikoigervaise1Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    gervaise1 said:

A 3rd party whose connections to Columbus Nova were edited on Wikipedia yesterday by now saying he left CN in December 2017.

My link above to his bio in the CN website was current this morning though... probably just haven't gotten around to updating it these past 4 months :)
    I am sure thats just a coincidence  :p
    Kylerangervaise1
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This whole thing stinks. Them trying to hide their relationship is funny. Edit all you want the internet saves everything. This will hurt them in the end for the sheer fact of then trying to cover it up.
    Seelinnikoi[Deleted User]gervaise1Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2018
    Well c'mon people who owns a business is simply what is written on paper it doesn't really mean anything.
    The true owner is the mafia Aluminum oil magnate,he is the guy at the very top who could have people killed just by lifting a finger.
    As to my opinion on DBG in general,i said from the very first announcement that the purchase seemed extremely weird and that i suspected there was a lot more to the whole ordeal.
    Only billionaires with the highest ties within governments and illegal crime would know all of the ins and outs to what happens inside of these businesses,i wouldn't and nobody else here would understand it all.

If DBG goes down it will be because they wanted it to go down,they put a lot of debt under that business while likely filling up offshore bank accounts.
    Maybe eventually we will hear a very interesting story come out in the news about this whole DBG business.

interesting note ...

Russell Shanks has stepped down as the president ofH1Z1 and PlanetSide 2 developer Daybreak after roughly 16 months at the helm. 

Formerly the studio's chief operating officer, Shanks took the job last July after then CEO John Smedley left the company

Daybreak broke the news of Shanks' departure in a statement given to Massively Overpowered, before naming his replacement as Columbus Nova exec, Ji Ham. 

Ok so if they are not tied into Columbus Nova why in this statement are they mentioning CN?They are in essence saying that the president of DBG IS the president of CN.

Phry[Deleted User]Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    [Deleted User]FlyByKnightMrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Just did a small bit of research and seems there msost certainly is something shotty going on here.
    First of all this article..https://www.mmobomb.com/news/daybreak-game-company-says-never-owned-columbus-nova/

Now seems several have been asking why DBG has always let on it was owned by Columbus Nova?
    Well their claim is that it was a typo mistake ROFLMAO...seriously,that is your excuse?
    So since all those links are not working,i checked it out and i guess the US treasury dept. is going after this mafia guy and his regime for money/taxes  or whatever.
    So apparently when the treasury dpt went after this guy,his NEFEW or relation ,the apparent owner "Epstein"made changes to claim DBG was not owned by CN.

So they said nothing for 3 years then when the treasury dept comes knocking,oh yeah they don't own us,but take our word for it because this Epstein is related to the mafia giant.

So imo 100% they are owned by CN but are trying to circumvent the law.So for now at least,their word means nothing.The US law will take further action if they feel they have  a case or can prove otherwise but for now is DBG trying to pull a fast one on the general public just as they are on the authorities.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

laserit said:
    LMAO the irony,you know who is in that picture right?

OJ.. well we all know what OJ was up to.

Jenner, yep we know what he has been up to as well.

Howard Cosell.... born Howard William Cohen; March 25, 1918 – April 23, 1995) was an American sports journalist who was widely known for his blustery, cocksure personality.[1] Cosell said of himself, "Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff. There's no question that I'm all of those things.

laseritFlyByKnightSeelinnikoiScotchUp

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Yeah... it's looking like that goose is cooked... unless they're willing to sell DBG for about 3-fiddy, there's gonna be a lot of out of work coders on the market.

But hey, I'm sure this situation will do nothing but encourage investors to support old school MMO development that requires 5+ years of development resources before making a dime in revenue...

Surely this will be the "Oasis moment"?
    Gdemami
  • TheStryderHDTheStryderHD Member UncommonPosts: 41
    We need the next Everquest game to be in production already, I mean what the hell is going on with that anyway, it's one of not the most successful and early MMORPG ever, big player back then, I even loved EQOA.
    Gdemami
  • zacho56zacho56 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    danwest58 said:
    No Daybreak would not shut down if the parent company goes down, however the parent company going down could hurt daybreak.

What would be nice here is if Daybreak was going to be broken up so that private studios could purchase the IPs of games like Everquest.  Then the new studio could make a new EQ game vs Daybreak which is just a venture capital company which sole design is to break up companies and sell them off piece meal.  
    Totally Agree. Daybreak killed EQN, since then I have had a deep loathing for the company. Wish they would let private studios to buy it, and other DB games.
    Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hey, I've got a grand or so laying around, color me interested. I 'll force em all to finish EQN.

#stillsalty

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]killerqueer
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    lahnmir said:
    Hey, I've got a grand or so laying around, color me interested. I 'll force em all to finish EQN.

#stillsalty

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I was looking forward to that too; all hope is lost though.
    TheStryderHD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Torval said:
    It would be even funnier if Sony reacquired the IP, made it console exclusive, and then shutdown P99.
    And then started a new SWG server, updated to immediately after the NGE.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheStryderHDTheStryderHD Member UncommonPosts: 41
    EQN or even just a successor EQ3 idc at this point.
    Torval said:
    Robsolf said:
    Torval said:
    It would be even funnier if Sony reacquired the IP, made it console exclusive, and then shutdown P99.
    You know dark irony don't you. :smiley:

I know that when it comes to MMO's, be careful what you wish for.  ;)
    [Deleted User]PhrySBFord
    Robsolf said:
    Torval said:
    Of course Disney own the SW IP.

As far as the EQ IP goes though no details of the arrangement between SoE and CN were ever released. Sony may have sold it outright; or done a deal that potentially paid Sony not much initially but money downstream if CN did something with it or maybe Sony have first refusal on any resale etc.

Then there is DCUO which involves both WarnerBros and DC Comics. I would expect t&cs that say what happens to the game if x or y or z happened etc.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    According to this, the loophole exists: 

10% is still owned by Sony O.o
    Phry[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    According to this, the loophole exists: 

10% is still owned by Sony O.o
    Consider my Gast to be significantly Flabbered, that is indeed very surprising information!  :o
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Smedly has responded to the situation. 

SBFordMellowTiggerTillerPhryJamesGoblin
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Well, CN did purchase SOE and then formed Daybreak as their intermediary. But from where did the money come? If CN manages to sever its ties to DBG and no proof is found...they'll be free of charge. What I expect CN to do is to go for a procrastinated, lengthy trial. The only question is: "How does this impact the development of their games?"
    Naw, my guess is DBG was one of the many shell companies used by this oligarch through CN and is currently under investigation, right now they are trying to keep this fact out of the press. It will come out soon enough.  In the meantime I would be more worried about what data they might have scrapped through DBG.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Does Daybreak games have any projects this announcement would actually hurt? I thought that Landmark was pretty well at a standstill and EQ Next was straight canceled.