Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs with Necromancer Class?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I think I'm in the mood to play a necro for a change.  What decent MMOs give you this option?  Offhand, I can think of Everquest and Guild Wars 2, but I'm interested in trying something new.

Thanks!

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Age of Conan has necromancer as a class.
    [Deleted User]HatefullGorweOctagon7711

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Diablo 3, it is an MMORPG, that has a necromancer class.

*cryomatrix looks sheepishly around whilemaking the comment with a cheeky grin on his face*
    Scot[Deleted User]Agent_JosephHatefullGorwe
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The necro in Everquest and GW2 are super pimps.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, what Nebless said, AoC has a really fun necro, with lots of different undead minions at your disposal to build your pet army.

When the Saga server was about to start, Albatroes was asked after necro too: https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7281866/#Comment_7281866
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I know Mortal Online has necromancy now though I've never played that game since it's been implemented.

I know GW1 had an exceptionally fun necromancer class, and that class was in Guild Wars 2 as well but I'm not sure if it's any good in Guild Wars 2. 
    anemo[Deleted User]Gorwe
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Second vote for the guild wars 1 necromancer.  It is almost three classes in one: can focus on raising undead minions (death magic), curses or stealing the life force of enemies (blood magic).  And the interaction with the secondary class adds more possibilities.  Necro is one of the most flexible classes in GW1, actually.  :)

p.s. and if you play as a female necro, you're gonna be sexxxxy.  :D
    anemo[Deleted User]Gorwe
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Older games not mentioned with Necromancers are Rift and DDO
    Gorwe
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    dougha1 said:
    Second vote for the guild wars 1 necromancer.  It is almost three classes in one: can focus on raising undead minions (death magic), curses or stealing the life force of enemies (blood magic).  And the interaction with the secondary class adds more possibilities.  Necro is one of the most flexible classes in GW1, actually.  :)

I loved my GW1 Necro. Was my favorite character. I was never a pet person but always used blood magic. I especially like being in a group, taking down a mob and then creating a "blood pool" to heal everyone.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Eldurian said:
    I know Mortal Online has necromancy now though I've never played that game since it's been implemented.

I know GW1 had an exceptionally fun necromancer class, and that class was in Guild Wars 2 as well but I'm not sure if it's any good in Guild Wars 2. 
    Depends on what gameplay mode you choose in GW2, but yeah, it's still pretty good, with many similarities to GW1

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    EQ2 also has a necro.
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    dougha1 said:

People still play GW1?
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Project Gorgon
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Everquest Necromancer can do a gazillion things. Can be mana battery, can reverse kite, can heal in a pinch, clear whole rooms in dungeons solo (if played skillfully). So many ways to play and probably invented the word "versatility' .
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Vanguards Necro was really fun to watch .. I never played one .. But of all the games with Necroes .. It always looked very well done ...  But Vanguard is gone ... :(

Now not an MMO but Path of Exile has some really great Necro mechainics and so many ways to build them differently

Project Gorgon was mentioned also a good necro

EQ2 also mentioned is well done
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Scorchien said:
     Vanguards Necro was really fun to watch .. I never played one .. But of all the games with Necroes .. It always looked very well done ...  But Vanguard is gone ... :(

Now not an MMO but Path of Exile has some really great Necro mechainics and so many ways to build them differently

Project Gorgon was mentioned also a good necro

EQ2 also mentioned is well done
    Yes the necromancer class in Path of Exile is absolutely amazing. You can play it in so many ways and change the skills up. All golems or all spectres,combinations of zombies and skeletons or an animated guardian and raging spirits. I have a blink arrow and mirage arrow necromancer. So much fun she is .
    Scorchien
    Chamber of Chains
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I get too bored playing necro in path of exile, my next character, is going to be a new one I made, gonna try something new. Or I can remake my flicker, it is such a lovely build, too bad I died early by being dumb with it. Hardcore is the only way to play that game
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I get too bored playing necro in path of exile, my next character, is going to be a new one I made, gonna try something new. Or I can remake my flicker, it is such a lovely build, too bad I died early by being dumb with it. Hardcore is the only way to play that game
    Bored ... what lvl did you get to .. did you finish the story thru chp  10 and the Epilogue on Merciless? 
  • Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Diablo 2

Kain_Dale

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited April 2018
    There are no MMOs with a Necromancer class. No new ones anyway.

A REAL Necromancer class

Have to look at Diablo 2 (and maybe 3, but haven't tried Diablo 3 necromancer) for a REAL Necromancer

or Guild Wars 1...guild wars 2 necro is okay I guess, but GW1 was far better for necromancer. Plus GW1 class combination system is vastly superior, so you can make really unique necromancers that you can't do in GW2

Every other necro is one or two crappy undead. How is that a necro? Might as well be any other pet class

A real necro is a horde of undead, diablo style!

(edit: Wait forgot one

Path of Exile

Not exactly a necromancer class in the game (I think its a witch or something), but can build one that does same thing. Like diablo 2, you get a horde of undead like a true necromancer would. Not a re-skinned pet class with 1-2 pets or 3 if you are lucky and then the devs call it a necromancer lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Both Guild Wars games have amazing Necromancer classes. I can't think any other decent mmorpg with a real necromancer class that viable today. 
  • pulpdreampulpdream Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Age Of Conan Necro

SovrathOctagon7711
    Spellweaving is great indeed :+1:

Every other necro is one or two crappy undead. How is that a necro? Might as well be any other pet class

Yep, you mean like the multiple times aforementioned AoC?  https://youtu.be/M7-IOFqKuJU?t=1m10s
    TheScavenger
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Po_gg said:
    Spellweaving is great indeed :+1:

Yep, you mean like the multiple times aforementioned AoC?  https://youtu.be/M7-IOFqKuJU?t=1m10s
    Oh nice, Funcom did a good Necromancer. I never played age of conan, so I actually didnt know. That looks like a real necromancer lol. Thats cool. Looks like a fun class to play too in age of conan

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DAoC as a necro, I never played it so I do not know how good it is. AoC has a great Necro (did play) and while the DK in WoW does raise undead minions, I would hesitate to call it a necro.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited April 2018
    Oh nice, Funcom did a good Necromancer. I never played age of conan, so I actually didnt know. That looks like a real necromancer lol. Thats cool. Looks like a fun class to play too in age of conan
    As opposed to GW they are permanent and there's no need of managing / reanimating them all the time. (*) There are different types, and you can summon them in any configuration your goals need it to. Can assign them at different targets and tasks.
    Not as a flexible and detailed system as CoV's mastermind was for example, but better than the minion master in GW I think (since it has none of the annoyances mm has).

The only issue is that their pathfinding can be wonky, and they can easily stuck into landscape objects... if you have ranged ones summoned, it might be less of an annoyance, but the melees, especially in pvp (where the other player obviously use that as an advantage), it can be a problem.

* edit: actually the frozen hatred is working like an animated <anything> in GW, you get it after kills, for a short time, and you can extend that time with followup kills. If its time is up, it goes away. But that's not counted as your controlled minion, more like a temporary boost technically.