Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance 2050 - The Ups and Downs of Defiance 2050's First Beta - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    It's hard when there isn't much nice to say. I went in wanting to find goodness but didn't.

The graphics look good enough and the setting is okay.

The shooting is horrible. I don't remember it being this bad. It' a shooter. There is one thing it needs to do right and that's the shooting. The reticule is huge and scoping in feels pointless. I threw a grenade at group and landed two "headshots" on a rifleman and he still didn't die. The combination of pointless aiming and the "one mob per clip" design ruined the entire experience. It felt like I was shooting paintballs, not bullets.

The mission/quest system fails. For example, I had a quest to take some enemy units out and rescue some medics. I arrived in what appeared to be the middle of the script cycle. By the time I got oriented the mission was over, I got credit, and I didn't really do a thing. I also got ranked poorly in the results because I hadn't had a chance to participate which drove home the poor impression.

The entire time I played I kept thinking, why am I putting myself through this? I could be playing Destiny 2.

Bill is being kind and generous with suggestions for improvement in my opinion. Trion should mothball this, put it into maintenance mode, and call it a day. Make a new game that's good. If they think console players will go for this they're in for a rude awakening. Console players have just as many good options as PCMR.
    I was looking forward to give this a go. If you put down a game it must be really bad then! ;) Back to The Division and Wildlands for shooting people.
    You should try it for yourself. It's just a download (unless you're metered, then yeah). There are things I like out of a shooter and this game doesn't deliver that for me right now. It's not that the game is bad, but that maybe my tastes have changed over the last 4 or 5 years.

I'd be interested in hearing what you like or don't about the relaunch. For one thing I'd like to know if The Division is as damage-spongey as this game or how it compares that way. I've considered getting it but if TTK is really long then it's probably not a good fit for me.

I think Wildlands is a bit underrated.
    Alright, will do.

A general insight about The Division; depends on your perspective. Yes the bullet sponge is ridiculous if you compare it to other shooters. But if you play it as an RPG it wouldn't feel more ridiculous than killing a rat with several fireballs. It never bothered me, I'm enjoying the game a lot. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited April 2018

I've always liked Defiance, even in my initial 6.6 review at launch. But it's always worked AGAINST me to enjoy it.

The game at launch was pretty awesome. Had some bugs and issues for sure, but was a lot of fun!

Then they hired Mr.Greed at TRION and butchered the game with it's own kind of SWG NGE kind of revamp that messed up the whole game!

The game was designed with no levels (horizontal progression) and then they changed it to a level based (power rank) system, so people were forced to keep getting new weapons ( = better for their cash shop ).

The result is that everything got messed up in the game, the scaling not working (never fixed) and that is also what you see now in the game, with even the smallest mobs being bullet sponges! The whole balance is out of wack!

The whole game is just unfixable at this point. They never managed to fix it in the past years since that stupid revamp, so I don't see how they suddenly would be able to fix it now.

This whole DEFIANCE 2050 is just another quick cash grab by TRION to squeeze out every last bit of cash they can. /facepalm
    Post edited by JeroKane on
    Asheram
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    LOL this was typical game company crap making everyone think it was going to be something new. They did nothing here worth going back to see. Waste of a download to me.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    edited April 2018
    As per usual this is simply a epic cash grab dont fall for it, demand better from game developers. I mean to claim it was remastered should be liable for fraud alone lol.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I didn't even finish the tutorial. I soon realised it was near enough Identical to the one I did years ago. I did enjoy the game for a few months back in the day but have no desire to repeat it. I uninstalled the game within an hour or so of installing it.

Sorry. It's not for me.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    They should take some notes from FFXIV

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

They should take some notes from FFXIV

That would require actual commitment and heavy monetary investment. Something TRION is highly allergic to.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    It's a really lazy update - they haven't even improved the UI. It's very clearly the exact same game, with no changes to content. The classes have been made simpler, which would be a patch in any other game, not treated as a separate game.

And as for people who have bought mounts and outfits and so on, they're screwed. Trion has no ethics, and will screw all its players for as much cash as it can squeeze out of minimal (and really minimal) effort.
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Athisar said:

It's a really lazy update - they haven't even improved the UI. It's very clearly the exact same game, with no changes to content. The classes have been made simpler, which would be a patch in any other game, not treated as a separate game.

And as for people who have bought mounts and outfits and so on, they're screwed. Trion has no ethics, and will screw all its players for as much cash as it can squeeze out of minimal (and really minimal) effort.

At least in SWL they let you transfer most things, but this is an tad harsh for an reboot of the same thing.. punish the people that supported the game the most?
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Played the original at launch.

Played the Beta last weekend. Bill's review is dead on. It's sad in that I hoping for so much more and doubt I will play 2050 on release.
    [Deleted User]JeroKane
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    From what I read on the Defiance forums, the lion's share of the benefit went to console players, in terms of availability on better machines and greater stability. For PC players, there hasn't been much in the way of obvious improvement as of yet.

They are making classes more defined than in the original, at least at the beginning, as each has a preset ego power and related tree, as opposed to allowing choice and having the grid of the original. Perhaps that will affect game play in a way not yet apparent.