Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Sites Are Lying To You For Money

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited April 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Interesting video where Skylent proves that mmo sites now promote almost any type of game for clicks. ;) 

Quote from the video description,

"MMObyte, you can do better.  MMOs.com I KNOW you have the passion in you somehwere.  All the rest are probably worthless causes, but I think we can make a change that could ripple out and do a lot of good.

This is my rant, a bit of drama, and the current MMO press landscape.  I clearly show, that MMO sites are lying to you, clickbaiting for money."

[Deleted User]NildenGdemamiPanther2103danwest58GregorMcgregor[Deleted User]JamesGoblinSilvantorDraemosand 3 others.

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mikeha said:
    Interesting video where Skylent proves that mmo sites now promote almost any type of game for clicks. ;) 

Quote from the video description,

"MMObyte, you can do better.  MMOs.com I KNOW you have the passion in you somehwere.  All the rest are probably worthless causes, but I think we can make a change that could ripple out and do a lot of good.

This is my rant, a bit of drama, and the current MMO press landscape.  I clearly show, that MMO sites are lying to you, clickbaiting for money."

So, basically, advertising?  That's been around since shortly after man discovered the concept of trade.

SBFordpostlarval[Deleted User]SovrathConstantineMerusPhrychocolate42069RobsolfWraithone

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    edited April 2018
    F*** that guy. Put in HALF the work the staff here has for over a decade, then talk to me. 
    SBFordmaskedweaselKyleranpostlarval[Deleted User]NephethMadFrenchieSevala[Deleted User]gervaise1and 35 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2018
    F*** that guy. Put in HALF the work the staff here has for over a decade, then talk to me. 
    This. 'Nough said.
    maskedweaselNephethMadFrenchie[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusJamesGoblinKanethchocolate42069GregorMcgregor[Deleted User]and 8 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    He fails to talk about the fact that there isn't much MMORPG news or new games coming out at this moment. It's in a downward trend for now and everyone that plays them is hoping it will go back upwards. He says that the sites need to either have MMORPG news or shut down, which doesn't make sense. You have to advertise, you have to branch out. There is no viable way to talk about one specific subject unless it stays huge and even then unless you have a topic that's an anomaly you won't get constant news.

He has some okay points, but honestly it sounds like hes mad that he isn't getting the MMORPG news that doesn't exist right now.
    BillMurphySBFordmaskedweasel[Deleted User]Grunt350KyutaSyukoYashaXAlBQuirkychocolate42069MrMelGibson
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    LOL The guy is basically stating "misinformation" based around semantics.  Newsflash, dude is just trying to attack popular game sites to get views.  

That's really all this is, some dude  "taking on the game sites" so he can get views by complaining that they post content to "get clicks". 

BillMurphySBFordBlaze_Rocker[Deleted User][Deleted User]TillerAethaerynPhryYashaXchocolate42069and 2 others.

edited April 2018
    I will leave this here from 2014 -- and to say that the MMO industry has gotten even more scarce in terms of news in the intervening 4 years is to understate things greatly, hence the further inclusion of MOBAs, multiplayer shooters, battle royale games and survival games to name a few.

https://www.mmorpg.com/columns/mmo-rpg-1000008277

From the article:

"Over the next several years, something will be very apparent to the MMORPG faithful: MMORPGs will be released that aren't officially being called MMORPGs by their developers and publishers.  Why? Because someone, somewhere, with all their marketing research and statistical analysis decided that "MMORPG" pretty much means World of Warcraft, nerds in the basement, and incidentally - the guy from South Park's beloved WoW episode.

The other side is that this means the genre's almost outgrown itself. More and more games are incorporating MMO-like features and online play into their core design. You'll have Bungie and Ubisoft claim often enough that Destiny or The Division "aren't really" MMOs. And perhaps, they're right. Destiny won't be a fully-on-all-the-time shared world in that you can't get away from other people. It has a core single-player narrative, but events happen in the massive game world that lead you into interacting and playing alongside others... and that almost sounds like the ideal theme park MMO, doesn't it?"
    maskedweaselBillMurphyNepheth[Deleted User]klash2defScotAlBQuirkyRhoms[Deleted User]Draemosand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I think I would be a lot more forgiving of this behavior if these sites were a lot more intellectually honest with us. Just own up to the fact that the game you're promoting is a survival game, or MOBA, or run-of-the mill RPG, or trading card game, or whatever it is.

I've seen multiple people use arguments such as "Diablo III is an MMORPG because mmorpg.com has it on the MMO list."

How about just calling it a game's list and breaking it into separate categories if you're not going to keep it a true MMO list. It spreads less misinformation, makes it easier to find the type of game you're actually looking for, and preserves your integrity.

Nobody wants to see the site shut down because you fail to adapt, but we don't want to see you call party based dungeon crawlers and trading card games MMOs either.
    MikehaMadFrenchieDvoraKyleranYashaXGdemamidanwest58[Deleted User]iamspamicusGhavrigg
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited April 2018
    MMO sites like us were given a choice - adapt or die.  If we did not expand our coverage to RPG's, MOBA's, etc we would have had to shutter the site and walk away.  While our domain name, which we have had for 16+ years implies we might only cover the few MMORPG's in the world it is not sustainable as a business.  It is just a domain - it does not mean we have to pigeon-hole ourselves.

Today we are more or less a gaming site - with a passion for MMO games.
    SBFordmaskedweaselBillMurphyPanther2103Nepheth[Deleted User]Nevereverlanddelete5230KyutaSyukocmacqand 16 others.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    He does have a bit of a point though, many MMO sites [mainly MMOByte] go to extremes with their clickbaiting.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]
    Eldurian said:
    I think I would be a lot more forgiving of this behavior if these sites were a lot more intellectually honest with us. Just own up to the fact that the game you're promoting is a survival game, or MOBA, or run-of-the mill RPG, or trading card game, or whatever it is.

I've seen multiple people use arguments such as "Diablo III is an MMORPG because mmorpg.com has it on the MMO list."

How about just calling it a game's list and breaking it into separate categories if you're not going to keep it a true MMO list. It spreads less misinformation, makes it easier to find the type of game you're actually looking for, and preserves your integrity.

Nobody wants to see the site shut down because you fail to adapt, but we don't want to see you call party based dungeon crawlers and trading card games MMOs either.
    But.. have you actually looked at Diablo III?  First of all MMORPG has a "game list" not an MMORPG list.. and Diablo III is listed as an Action RPG.
    BillMurphyPanther2103[Deleted User]Phry

edited April 2018
    Eldurian said:

But we DO "own up" to what the games are and we have been honest and up front with that fact and WHY we've chosen to do so. The games are clearly listed on the Games List by type -- in fact we've recently added battle royale to the sort -- and we come into many, MANY threads when people kvetch to reiterate our stance. Every featured image in our scroller indicates what the article is about. 

If you've missed all that in the last 4 years, you're not looking very hard, for Pete's sake.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User][Deleted User]IselinPhrySteelhelmMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited April 2018
    @maskedweasel, @SBFord ;- Look at the top of the page:

Having a header that says "All MMO Games" over a list that includes Diablo 3, DOTA 2, and Heathstone is very deceptive.

Like I said. It's fine to adapt. Just be honest about it.
    maskedweaselNevereverlandanemoKyleranGdemamiturinmacleod[Deleted User]MMOExposed
    Eldurian said:

We new refer to D3 as a MMO on our game list.  Just because our domain name is MMORPG.com it does not require us to only feature and speak of MMORPG games.  You will even see on our big home page carousel when we cover something in the upper right it will say something like "MMO" or "RPG" or "SPONSORED" to break out the content.

We are not trying to trick anyone around here.
    SBFordJeffSpicoliLeFantomeScotMrMelGibson

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    If you watch his top ten MMORPGs video, he laments about the loss of the RPG side of the games and then proceeds to put every milk-toast themepark MMO that lost their RPG side a long time ago on his list. On top of that his #1 MMORPG is the Secret World, a game that even the developers stopped calling an MMO, let alone an MMORPG.

What a clueless little twit.
    maskedweaselSBFordPhryMardukkRobsolfMrMelGibson

edited April 2018
    Eldurian said:

Having a header that says "All MMO Games" over a list that includes Diablo 3, DOTA 2, and Heathstone is very deceptive.

FFS did you even BOTHER to look at the Games List for Diablo 3 (as one example)?

Note in the ONE TINY PORTION of the Games List there are:

MMORPG
    MMOTPS
    MMOFPS
    Action RPG
    Action MMO
    MMOG
    RPG

Let's also not forget that there are SORT TOOLS that allow you to ONLY see MMOs or whatever it is you want to see. :|
    Phry[Deleted User]FangrimMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

You guys must have missed like the 20 threads arguing about MMORPGs where people like nauriseldon have been pointing out that same header I just showed an image of and using it to say everything on your list is an MMO.
    GdemamiMrMelGibsonMMOExposed
    edited April 2018
    Eldurian said:
    You guys must have missed like the 20 threads arguing about MMORPGs where people like nauriseldon have been pointing out that same header I just showed an image of and using it to say everything on your list is an MMO.
    Honestly, you're being obtuse "just 'cause". Stop arguing semantics.
    NephethPhrySinsai[Deleted User]DakeruMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Eldurian said:

FFS did you even BOTHER to look at the Games List for Diablo 3 (as one example)?

MMORPG
    MMOTPS
    MMOFPS
    Action RPG
    Action MMO
    MMOG
    RPG

Let's also not forget that there are SORT TOOLS that allow you to ONLY see MMOs or whatever it is you want to see. :|
    I saw that part but how does it change the fact that header is misleading, and that people have been using it to call anything on that list an MMO over, and over, and over right here on your own forums?
    IselinLackingMMOGdemamiturinmacleodkb4bluMMOExposed
    Eldurian said:
    SBFord said:
    Eldurian said:

MMORPG
    MMOTPS
    MMOFPS
    Action RPG
    Action MMO
    MMOG
    RPG

I saw that part but how does it change the fact that header is misleading, and that people have been using it to call anything on that list an MMO over, and over, and over right here on your own forums?
    Well now you have a spiffy, informative link to point them to that includes Bill's 2014 column and the images/information provided here. 
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Eldurian said:
    I totally agree - we need to update that header.  Remember this site is old (hoping for a total facelift within the next 12 months) and that header has probably had the same name for 6+ years.

Again, we are not trying to be deceptive here.  As Suzie outlined - we clearly state the genre of the game in each list entry.
    maskedweaselEldurianMadFrenchiePhryScot[Deleted User][Deleted User]SteelhelmMrMelGibson

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

edited April 2018
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wouldn't it just be easier to change the header to say "MMORPG.com Games - All Games"

Edit: Posted before seeing admin's post. Seems like the problem will be dealt with.
    Gdemami
    Eldurian said:
    SBFord said:
    Eldurian said:

MMORPG
    MMOTPS
    MMOFPS
    Action RPG
    Action MMO
    MMOG
    RPG

I noticed that too, and with that in mind, I can't argue that the list says "MMO List" but I'd argue it's just as misleading for someone to say the game is an MMO when on the "MMO List" it's clearly defined as an Action RPG.  

It's like when I'm on IGN and I look in the "TV" section and they have news about a "Movie" that they've crossposted to the "Movies" section of the site.  They clearly have it listed as Film news, but it shows up in other places, it would be misleading for me to argue that I thought a particular movie was a show simply because it had a cross post on their feed. 

I'm just saying, and not attacking you for it at all so please don't think it's personal, that it would be a pretty flimsy argument that MMORPG hasn't been pretty transparent.  Despite what a lot of people think, Ads and Sponsored content it displayed pretty prominently, and they do label what genre each game is listed in.  

I agree, sure, the list could be changed to be more general, but we're really splitting hairs here.  
    PhryMrMelGibson

I noticed that too, and with that in mind, I can't argue that the list says "MMO List" but I'd argue it's just as misleading for someone to say the game is an MMO when on the "MMO List" it's clearly defined as an Action RPG.    
    Oh yeah. It's a totally ridiculous argument, but it's one that gets made a surprising amount. Over nauriseldon's campaign to redefine MMOs you had like 20-30% of the people posting pushing to have prettymuch any multiplayer game ever defined as an MMO, and that header was one of the primary pillars of their case.
    maskedweaselMadFrenchieDvoraPhryGdemami
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Even though he has a point the genre has evolved and sites have to evolve with it.  
    SBFordBillMurphyMrMelGibson
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Eldurian said:
    Oh yeah. It's a totally ridiculous argument, but it's one that gets made a surprising amount. Over nauriseldon's campaign to redefine MMOs you had like 20-30% of the people posting pushing to have prettymuch any multiplayer game ever defined as an MMO, and that header was one of the primary pillars of their case.
    I already know it's a horse.  I don't need someone to tell me that it's a horse.  We should also have the sensibility to ignore the people that say it's a cow, unless of course you think it's a cow.

(It's dead, Jim)
    SBFordMoiraeMrMelGibson