Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance 2050 - The Ups and Downs of Defiance 2050's First Beta - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDefiance 2050 - The Ups and Downs of Defiance 2050's First Beta - MMORPG.com

Defiance 2050 isn’t a full sequel. I think a lot of people, myself included, expected it to be sort of like Destiny 2. Same sort world, lots of new content and systems changes. That’s not what Defiance 2050 is. Instead, Trion’s essentially giving the game from 2013 a new life on a new console generation, with new visuals, new progression systems, and new tech. It’s up to you, if that’s enough to start over.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2018
    I have to admit that I need to spend more time in the game, but I will say that I was pretty disappointed that it was more a remaster of the original than something new. That's not to say "new" won't be added, but what I played through was what I played through in the first one. But if "remastered" is what it's going to be, at least in the early phases, then they also need to remaster sounds. The gunplay files are sorely lacking, especially in context with games like Destiny 2 and others.

Hopefully the next CBT will bring more content and something new, not just in terms of renewal of existing stories and gameplay, but something really NEW , to the table.
    ElvocOctagon7711chocolate42069

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Trion's classic marketing, recycle IPs and try to make them sound new.
    Albatroessumdumguy1chocolate42069FlyByKnightTacticalZombehinfomatzJeroKaneqomaHarikenmmrvand 1 other.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Tried it. It’s exactly the same game, same content, same awful console UI, just about everything is the same except a class rework. The lighting might be a little better, but otherwise the graphics look the same. It’s certainly not a remaster, not even a reboot. It’s a relatively small update.
    SBFordsumdumguy1Octagon7711chocolate420693domFlyByKnightTacticalZombehinfomatzgunklackerLazarus71
  • KlatideKlatide Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I was really happy when I heared about Defiance2050. I loved Defiance, both game and serie. But I was very disappointed when I tried the beta this weekend. It was everything but fun, animations are from another age and despite the graphic revamp it's ugly.

I'd love to see the game find its place amongst Warframe and Destiny 2 but Trino will always be Trino.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

SBFord said:

I have to admit that I need to spend more time in the game, but I will say that I was pretty disappointed that it was more a remaster of the original than something new. That's not to say "new" won't be added, but what I played through was what I played through in the first one. But if "remastered" is what it's going to be, at least in the early phases, then they also need to remaster sounds. The gunplay files are sorely lacking, especially in context with games like Destiny 2 and others.

Hopefully the next CBT will bring more content and something new, not just in terms of renewal of existing stories and gameplay, but something really NEW , to the table.

I wouldn't get my hopes up tbh. It was always suspicious to me that they would take on "new endeavors" after hearing about most of their staff across the board was gutted with no real news of hires to counter such news. I kind of feel sorry for Trion at this point since it feels like all their recent efforts have been just to keep people employed for as long as they can. Not to say that they will be closing their doors any time soon, but I definitely do see more downsizing to come. Rift Prime, Archeage "Progression" server, Defiance "2050" just feel like last ditch efforts to see which can off set the other in terms of financial loss keeping all 3. Defiance will probably be the one that doesn't make the cut by next year some time if things keep going the way they are.
    [Deleted User]
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Did the beta and all I can say is its the OG all over again and there is nothing really special about it. Like many we were hoping for a new breed of Defiance and what we got was the same old game with a fancy leveling system. Even the gear seemed the same except the upgrade part which seemed to change nothing in the power of the weapon unless you filled out all the stars on it and that was to tedious to do in the beta.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    It just felt too much like the original. Even the graphic update didn't seem to be that much of an upgrade. I'll keep trying it, but at it's current state, it's just "eh".
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I played it for a few hours, was to much of "been there done that" for me, was also hoping for new content and some new changes but it really felt the same as the last time I played..
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I'm not a shooter dude but for me at least through the initial stages of 2050 it seemed "easier" to me than the original.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I've always liked Defiance, even in my initial 6.6 review at launch. But it's always worked AGAINST me to enjoy it.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I've participated in original beta and its graphics and animations were obsolete even back when it was released in 2013 due to compatibility with PS3 - console which is almost 12 (!) years old now.

The main difference I see - trash mobs are bullet sponges now and take up to 20-30 hits (or 5-15 aimed) to kill. Not fun at all. Especially - combined with ugly toons' graphics literally from past decade.

Thank you for your time!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    SUPRIIIIIISE!!!! -Trion Worlds
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited April 2018
    As someone who played the HELL out of Defiance, got to max EGO, spent a lot of cash in the store for loot crates, I will not play this remastered sad excuse for a new game.  You didn't even have to try the beta, you could of just watched the dev streams to see its the same exact game with a few pseudo class titles sprinkled in.  
    KumaponRiotfactor
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Zegaloth said:
    As far as I was aware it was always going to be just a bit of a face lift, and a port to current gen consoles. not sure where you all are getting the impression that it was anything other than that.
    From Trion? If you watched their streams to any degree, you would see they were trying to treat it as an entirely new game.
    Riotfactor
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Think they'll resurrect the TV show as a new series, and just put out the original first season with a warmer color palette? ;)
    [Deleted User]Thomas2006RiotfactorTacticalZombeh
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Poorly received game based on a poorly received TV show that got canceled after only 3 seasons. Let's re-release it for console basically as-is. What could possibly go wrong? 

Trion hard at work as always. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

$UPRIIIIII$E!!!! -Trion Worlds

Fixed it for you.
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174

Kumapon said:

Tried it. It’s exactly the same game, same content, same awful console UI, just about everything is the same except a class rework. The lighting might be a little better, but otherwise the graphics look the same. It’s certainly not a remaster, not even a reboot. It’s a relatively small update.

Agreed was disappointed that within 15 minutes I thought I was playing the old game again.. so whats the point?
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    edited April 2018
    What better gfx?
    I had an invite to this; before bothering to download, I smartly tuned into Twitch and see what's it like. Surprise surprise, people said (repeatedly) it looks just the same, and in comments here I see the same. The gameplay looked shit as well.
    It barely took me 15 minutes of watching and seeing how it threw menial chores at players and didn't even bother to look like a 2018 game to decide to delete their beta invite email and not install.
    Games need to do better in essentials like graphics, gameplay, story, and not marketing. We already see through that. The 2018 gamer is a cynical motherfucker.
    Do better or get to the obsolete games bin.
    D1Brodolf
  • officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited April 2018
    Totally a failure!
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Ups? What ups? Only downs in this game so far.
  • RiotfactorRiotfactor Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2018
    I went in expecting a new game and was heartbroken i went thru the tutorial and realized it was the same bloody one i did years ago..and after about 3 or 4 hours i realized i was going to have to power thru the same old content again (pre ordered the game $$$$ when it first came out old school with my pretty red car) man i miss the tv show thu

It was like saying here you go guys same game slightly better graphics but we deleted your toons and your cool things you bought $$$$ have fun.

So
    + graphics
    - same game, same missions, same everything, re level and figure out the new ego system, lose all your stuff
    Cryolitycal
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    It's hard when there isn't much nice to say. I went in wanting to find goodness but didn't.

The graphics look good enough and the setting is okay.

The shooting is horrible. I don't remember it being this bad. It' a shooter. There is one thing it needs to do right and that's the shooting. The reticule is huge and scoping in feels pointless. I threw a grenade at group and landed two "headshots" on a rifleman and he still didn't die. The combination of pointless aiming and the "one mob per clip" design ruined the entire experience. It felt like I was shooting paintballs, not bullets.

The mission/quest system fails. For example, I had a quest to take some enemy units out and rescue some medics. I arrived in what appeared to be the middle of the script cycle. By the time I got oriented the mission was over, I got credit, and I didn't really do a thing. I also got ranked poorly in the results because I hadn't had a chance to participate which drove home the poor impression.

The entire time I played I kept thinking, why am I putting myself through this? I could be playing Destiny 2.

Bill is being kind and generous with suggestions for improvement in my opinion. Trion should mothball this, put it into maintenance mode, and call it a day. Make a new game that's good. If they think console players will go for this they're in for a rude awakening. Console players have just as many good options as PCMR.
    I was looking forward to give this a go. If you put down a game it must be really bad then! ;) Back to The Division and Wildlands for shooting people.
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Perhaps the most galling thing about 2050 is that the current limited information available seems to indicate that you can't transfer your existing weapons/shields/levels over from the original. In short, if you're already an existing player of the original, all that time, effort and money will have been wasted if you decide to restart in 2050.

Can't help but feel a little sorry for those people who may have spent thousands of real money on the original only to receive such a slap in the face. Considering that 2050 will, after launch, provide the perfect excuse for Trion to say "Sorry folks. We don't have enough resources to keep the original and 2050 going so ya, we're gonna kill those 2 hamsters that kept the original server running and call it a day".
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Disappointing to hear about the bullet sponge enemies, as that is the #1 reason I didn't play more than about 2 hours of OG beta. I get that they don't want enemies to be 1-headshot kills, but there is a nice middle ground that Destiny, The Division, etc. have at least gotten close to.