Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - GW2 Has Stolen My Heart - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Scot said:
    Can someone help me understand the concept of 'trying a game countless times until I liked it". If this makes sense to anyone, it would be very helpful to hear from them.
    I did that with Eternal; Crusade.. I love WH40K.. so I kept playing that game thorough the suck,.. still I started to like it. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I fell in love with GW2 from the manifesto video. Then I played it, and realized they sorta lied and I was naive for falling for it.

I stopped playing after I realized:

• I wasn't a fan of the combat style (it wasn't a great representation of action combat)
    • I picked a class AND damage style Anet hated (Condition Engineer)
    • I hated the culling and it wasn't going to change
    • I hated the battle effects drowning out the entire screen and they were not going to change it
    • I hated the Legendary requirements and when they decided to add gear treadmill on top of  that experience
    • I hated what fractals did to ecosystem
    • I was always disappointed in the cut scenes
    • I absolutely hated the undead areas
    • Living Stories were GAR-BAGE
    All those things outweighed the good that GW2 did do, and the updates never made me feel like trying it again in fact they seemed more like gates.

Condi Engineer is one of the top damage dealers out there, it's even good in PvP if played right. 

Battle effects only drown out the screen in very large scale battles in most cases. But I guess it depends on where your threshold is on effects

Fractals didn't change the ecosystem much, a lot of the pieces for ascended gear have gone down in cost,  but that's primarily because, now they have legendary armor... so... thank raids for that. 

The rest are more personal preferences.

Condition Engineer was a joke when I played because of the cap they put on conditions. I don't know when they changed anything but it wasn't during the couple years I hung on waiting to see if they'd fix anything. 

Battle effects drowned out the screen during any event. It was a noted problem during beta. I don't know if they ever fixed it.

Fractals did change the ecosystem. It turned Lions Arch into a ghost town (before they went on to actually kill it) and everyone absolutely stopped running the other dungeons. It added vertical gear progression and walked back a key promise from the manifesto days.

All of my points are from my personal perspective thus the word "I" preceding them. I regret I will have to pass you an additional WTF.

Oh I get it now. Your personal perspective is outdated AF. Now all the nonsense your spitting makes sense!

Your complaint on engineer is irrelevant now. DoTs have been reworked for years. Seriously, it's been years.

Don't know what to tell you about effects. Lower your settings?

Your complaint on fractals is irrelevant as well. People are still running dungeons and fractals.

They added ascended gear back in 2012, how are people still crying about this? We haven't seen a gear increase since, and ascended isn't even a requirement to complete anything in the game, besides needing agony resistance in Fractals. It's mainly there for the try hards and the min-maxers. Go play FF14 or any other gear treadmill based game and get back to me on how fast your gear becomes yesterday's news.

"So gentleman as you can see, after years of studying this quite complex equation I have solved that @FlyByKnight originally said that when he originally played the game these are the faults that caused him to stop playing and wasn't compelled to return by any of the updates!  Please be sure to spell my name properly in the history books. Thats M-o-r-o-n, thank you." -Anthony W. Gray

Cool story, but are you stupid? Do you have anything of substance? No? Then gtfo with that noise. He never felt like coming back? That's not my issue, and honestly sounds like a personal problem. This idiot has complaints that have been worked on/changed in the last 2+ years, and I'm suppose to take his nonsense seriously? Please. People want to constantly run their mouths on shit they know next to nothing about.

Tell em why you're extra salty son!
    pantaro
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

jircris said:

I love the negativity people throw around now days. I have been playing gw2 since it launched with 12 lvl 80s. This game is not for everyone, it's like wow some people love it others tolerate it and some hate it. Just because some one enjoys the game and mentioned having to try it multiple times before it finally clicked with them does not mean they are forcing you to do the same. Personally out of the 80+ mmos I have played this year alone gw2 still it's my go to. This does not mean I play it 24/7 in fact I take month long breaks some times. My advice to everyone is to find a game you enjoy and play it. Being a negative child on a fortun does nothing but show how bad the community is becoming.

GW2 must not be THAT good if you've tried out 80+ MMOs in less than 4 months. Sounds to me like you've grown quite bored of it too. 

Not really, I have around 2k mmos under my belt dating back to ultimate online. I try all mmos and hop from mmo to mmo but gw2 is the only one as this pay that I have played often. My breaks where usually when I burnt my self out thanks to a legendary grind.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Original release was a blast for me, played I think for 7 months strait, rarely happen with any game. Had enough of HOT in approx 1 month, returned just from time to time for hour or so. Same happened to POF. Main quest chain is horribly slow, fun first time, boring later. No truly fun questing, that "hearts" are just ... something. Graphics are great, group combat is total disgusting mess. All one can see attacking some boss people just blindly mashing buttons without any use of brain ... on screen it is impossible to see anything except flashes and number over whole screen with great chance to induce to many players headaches if not worse. I'm done as it looks with Gw2 for good. Had high hopes for POF but reality sucks for me. Fortunately my gaming needs are covered in full by FF14 and Wow, as fillers SWTOR, Rift, TESO, ....
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Scot said:
    Can someone help me understand the concept of 'trying a game countless times until I liked it". If this makes sense to anyone, it would be very helpful to hear from them.
    You have to get past the part you don't like and get to the part you do like from my experience. 

While that seems counter intuitive, I don't think it is. I've started games where they feel disorganized and jumbled, but then you push further until you understand more and you might get a better feeling while playing and start enjoying it as opposed to just being confused or annoyed. 

I think about four of you have been kind enough to try to explain this to me, but I still don't get it.

You should be researching the game until all the information you need has been squeezed out of it and it squeaks for mercy. That should normally be enough to tell us if we are going to like a game. But that does not always work..,I thought on the basis of my research that I would like GW2, played it for a month and decided it was not for me. But I would not go back, that's it now, I know its not for me.

You guys seemed to keep throwing yourself back into something you did not like, I just can't fathom it. But for some of you it worked out and you like the game now so we can't see this as a waste of time. The MMO worked out for you, end of the day that's all that matters.
  • DroniacDroniac Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited April 2018
    OP:
    Congratulations. Guild Wars 2 is a great game, when it clicks. I had some friends try the game during beta/early-release and it didn't click for them either. Then a few years ago they tried it again (around HoT-launch) and now they have (many) more hours in the game than I do. It can take some getting used to, especially if you're used to the way other MMOs do things or entered the genre after WoW.

If you're enjoying the storytelling and PvE zones in the base game, then you're in for a treat. The base game is easily the weakest part of the experience when it comes to those two elements. Season 3 & 4 and Path of Fire in particular are utterly superior, so much so that they often seem like entirely different games and it gets a little rough to return to the original areas. Most updates nowadays tend to emphasize PvE content & story.

As for the completionist style per zone. That's normal. A lot of players do it on their first few zones and plenty do it throughout the experience. The base game content (in-world, not story) in particular does get boring over time, it doesn't really lend itself to repeated playthroughs, unlike most HoT/season 2-4/PoF content.

As for some tips...
    • Level up your crafting professions. You'll want ascended (or legendary) armor eventually if you keep playing. It'll also be useful for certain collections.
    • The Dungeons are worth playing for the story, both story & explorable modes. Use the LFG tool.
    • Use the LFG tool. It's used for a lot more than just dungeons/bosses.
    • If there are commander tags on the map, then there's usually something interesting happening there.
    • Once you get lvl 80 you get access to masteries. The Pact Commander mastery gives you a cheap knock-off version of the commander tag. Activate it (press P - party menu) and watch players flock to you.
    • If you get to Heart of Thorns: stick to groups. It's not a very solo-friendly region.
    • You can switch to different instances of the same map by joining people's parties (via LFG). This is especially useful in HoT where some instances might be dead and others have plenty of players around.
    • You might want to watch the living story season 1 recap on YouTube before starting season 2 / HoT. That's "Guild Wars 2 - The Complete Season 1 Movie (Enhanced)". Season 1 was terrible, but it does set things up for the later content, particularly the character introductions.

I stopped playing after I realized:

• I wasn't a fan of the combat style (it wasn't a great representation of action combat)
    • I picked a class AND damage style Anet hated (Condition Engineer)
    • I hated the culling and it wasn't going to change
    • I hated the battle effects drowning out the entire screen and they were not going to change it
    • I hated the Legendary requirements and when they decided to add gear treadmill on top of  that experience
    • I hated what fractals did to ecosystem
    • I was always disappointed in the cut scenes
    • I absolutely hated the undead areas
    • Living Stories were GAR-BAGE
    All those things outweighed the good that GW2 did do, and the updates never made me feel like trying it again in fact they seemed more like gates.

• GW2's action combat is indeed not the best representation of action combat. Blade & Soul's combat is utterly superior, imo. However, ArenaNet did make significant improvements to this with their various action combat updates. It's pretty fun playing GW2 in action mode.
    • Most Engineer builds were actually pretty strong at release. Conditions are viable now and have been since before HoT.
    • Assuming you mean culling of players in your view... that did change after release. They added lots of options for it a very long time ago that allow you to set the detail level of players around you and how many you want to see (almost none vs all).
    • ArenaNet added an option to severely diminish effects in combat. It still gets messy when you have 100 players in one battle, but you can actually see the mass of players now.
    • The legendary requirements do suck. Fortunately they cut the nasty random element (precursor drop)... but unfortunately they replaced it with even more grind.
    • There's no gear treadmill in GW2. A treadmill implies it's neverending. In GW2 the cap is Ascended - and even with Exotic you can participate in all forms of content except for the highest tiers of fractals. Those don't give you anything worthwhile that other content doesn't. In addition, lower tiers of fractals give you the ascended items you need...
    • Fractals did very little to the ecosystem when they were introduced. They actually weren't worth doing for a very long time. They are rewarding now though and they're much more accessible now too.
    • The talking-faces cutscenes got cut. Everything post season-1 has proper cutscenes or in-game scenes now. A lot of good ones too.
    • Everyone hated Orr. ArenaNet's solution has been to reorder content so you have to spend (a lot) less time in it. It's also a lot easier to rush through solo now.
    • Living Story Season 1 was garbage. It's also, fortunately, not in the game anymore. Season 2 was good. Season 3 & 4 (thus far) are fantastic. ArenaNet also fixed their release cadence.
    • The updates only function as gates if you care about the story. Otherwise its perfectly viable to dive into PoF & season 4 right after the base game. Nothing in there is dependent on mechanics from prior content or you having played that content for "stats buffs" (there are none). The only real gates are the expansions: HoT is required for season 3. PoF is required for season 4.

The game absolutely has its share of problems. But people around here are right to point out to you that most of these specific complaints you made have long since been resolved or certainly diminished to some extent.
    pantaro
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

Every 3 days we have ads about GW2- guess it is dying slowly. Well deserved. GW1 on the other hand...

So by that logic, I take it that ESO and Fortnite are also dying slowly? Or does this somehow magically only apply to games which you personally have a hate boner for?

I hope ESO is dying, it deserves it for taking the slot for an actually good elder scrolls mmo.
    GdemamiKajidourden
  • dijicaekdijicaek Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I was let down by the hype surrounding the beta and release of GW2, some of it probably imagined (it's gonna be GW1 but twice as awesome!), and have never felt compelled enough to come back. I wanted to love it, because I was so into GW1's lore and I like the world, but the game just didn't click with me. Every now and then I think about it, but then it's a question of "do I spend $X to buy the expansions to a game I know I don't enjoy, on the off chance it fixes the reasons why I didn't like it?"
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    The combat for me is a giant snooze fest. After like level...30? you're in for a boring slog with no new skills to try.

I realize the game is older, so I give it a pass in some ways but holy shit leveling is boring. Having all your skills front-loaded makes it unfun for me.

I DO enjoy the vistas, jumping puzzles, etc. These things differentiate the game from others from an exploration aspect. I'm not usually an explorer in any capacity but in GW2 I found myself hunting that map completion lol.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The combat for me is a giant snooze fest. After like level...30? you're in for a boring slog with no new skills to try.

I realize the game is older, so I give it a pass in some ways but holy shit leveling is boring. Having all your skills front-loaded makes it unfun for me.

I DO enjoy the vistas, jumping puzzles, etc. These things differentiate the game from others from an exploration aspect. I'm not usually an explorer in any capacity but in GW2 I found myself hunting that map completion lol.
    Well, you're right, if you're talking about the old game, with the expansions you have to unlock new abilities and skills for the specializations.  It can take a bit of time to unlock them all.  Unless you cheese it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Scot said:

ah simple, they know people are not really staying too much so they pay someone to tell others they should just suck it up and try it till you like it or start to flame anyone who like the game in forums.

in the end is just a PR push to try to sell a game they did the favor to fuck it up

Or maybe we're not talking about a static system and changes to that system, ie an expansion, make the system more enjoyable? I believe that is the whole point of patches and expansions.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited April 2018
    The best thing about GW2 is the freedom. I also really enjoy the combat system. The negatives include the insane material cost for ascended let alone legendary items. You will never farm enough for these items. You are basically required to buy gold with RL money and buy mats off the AH. I'm not going to spend RL money for ascended gear. The living story is boring and linear and not in the style of the rest of the game. Other than those two negatives it is my preferred MMO for the last couple years. More stuff to do than the boring questing you find in games like ESO.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Great game and B2P to boot. People like to shit on everything, so the comments aren't real surprising.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Mardukk said:
    The best thing about GW2 is the freedom. I also really enjoy the combat system. The negatives include the insane material cost for ascended let alone legendary items. You will never farm enough for these items. You are basically required to buy gold with RL money and buy mats off the AH. I'm not going to spend RL money for ascended gear. The living story is boring and linear and not in the style of the rest of the game. Other than those two negatives it is my preferred MMO for the last couple years. More stuff to do than the boring questing you find in games like ESO.
    Theres actually a bunch of different ways you can go about getting materials for ascended crafting. Besides just doing raids, spvp, or wvw for ascended gear straight up, you can exchange your laurels for heavy crafting bags, mystic forge lower tier mats and turn them into higher tier mats, craft all the time gated ascended crafting mats each day, gather enough unbound magic and exchange them for magic warped bundles or magic warped packets, go on 10 minute gathering tours, or gather enough gold buy the mats. 

Costs of mats now a days are the lowest they have ever been in gw2 history. Mainly because people have already figured out the mass quantities of ways to get mats and have been selling them like crazy each day.

The living story is a matter of opinion. I've found them to all be pretty great. Especially if you've been following the story since the very beginning and know how to play. If anything, I'd wish there was a way to skip cutscenes after multiple play throughs.

• KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Well, I really enjoyed reading this thread. I will start playing and streaming this game on Twitch in less than 24 hours. I hope it's as good, and not as bad as some of you say.