Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netflix Series Producer Confirms 8-Episode Season to Possibly Debut in 2020 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hu

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNetflix Series Producer Confirms 8-Episode Season to Possibly Debut in 2020 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - MMORPG.com

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt News - The Witcher is coming to Netflix in 2020 according to producer Lauren Schmidt Hissrich. The news came via Hissrich's Twitter where she also confirmed that the possible release of the series could come as early as 2020. "We're moving quickly ahead with everything. I've finished the pilot, which yes, will be polished more when we cast/shoot. The other 7 episodes don't yet exist, except in my head."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Awesome like The Witcher series, except for the Gender Locks...
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Complaining about Witcher being gender locked makes as much sense as complaining about Lara Croft being gender locked.

On topic, I find it a bit disappointed that they ended up with just 8 episodes two years from now. I was hoping for more.
    SBFordAlomarSovrathScot[Deleted User]Panther2103chocolate42069Darkagesinfomatz
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I hope that the serie is more like the history of the books than the videogame adaptation or at least a mix of both. PS: I WANT TO SEE Villentretenmerth IN ALL OF HIS MAJESTUOSITY .
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Hopefully the author makes some money on this.
    Elethon
    Was there an indication anywhere that he won't?
    IceAge
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2018
    Xasapis said:
    I'm pretty sure this is something he approves of:

"The show will not be based on the CD Projekt Red games of the same name. Instead, the series will draw upon writer Andrzej Sapkowski's original novels. There are currently eight books, with the last seeing its English release in March of this year. Sapkowski himself will be a creative consultant for the series.  

"I'm thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing," said Sapkowski. "I'm excited about our efforts together as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life." 

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-witcher-tv-series-netflix
    Scot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited April 2018

Renoaku said:

Awesome like The Witcher series, except for the Gender Locks...

How about Geralt locked? I would actually like a Witcher game in which I can create my own Witcher and hunt with Geralt here and there in between my own quests. As for the show, I hope they don't make it cheesy. It better be dark and gritty which is what the books are, anything else will suck.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited April 2018
    Xasapis said:

Remember hearing in an interview the author sold the rights. Don't know to what extent/platforms he sold but I know he made little on the games initially.

See below.

A rumor recently surfaced online that The Witcher author, Andrzej Sapkowski, sold the games’ license to the now-defunct Metropolis Software for just $4,000. For those who don’t know, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter dev Adrian Chmielarz headed Metropolis, whose Witcher game never saw the light of day.

While Chmielarz denied this, his Facebook post debunking the rumor led to an interesting revelation (translations via NeoGAF): Sapkowski sold Witcher‘s license to CD Projekt RED for 35,000PLN, which was paid in two installments – 15,000PLN and 20,000PLN. According to NeoGAF user boskee, this translates to $9,500 in today’s terms.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/03/the-witcher-rights-sold-for-9500/#6Wz9KkaK4o8By6Ic.99
    That was regarding the rights to make games. The one time installment made sense at the time, considering the history of CD Project.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    Xasapis said:
    I'm pretty sure this is something he approves of:

"The show will not be based on the CD Projekt Red games of the same name. Instead, the series will draw upon writer Andrzej Sapkowski's original novels. There are currently eight books, with the last seeing its English release in March of this year. Sapkowski himself will be a creative consultant for the series.  

"I'm thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing," said Sapkowski. "I'm excited about our efforts together as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life." 

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-witcher-tv-series-netflix
    @TabulaRosa See above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Xasapis said:

Remember hearing in an interview the author sold the rights. Don't know to what extent/platforms he sold but I know he made little on the games initially.

See below.

A rumor recently surfaced online that The Witcher author, Andrzej Sapkowski, sold the games’ license to the now-defunct Metropolis Software for just $4,000. For those who don’t know, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter dev Adrian Chmielarz headed Metropolis, whose Witcher game never saw the light of day.

While Chmielarz denied this, his Facebook post debunking the rumor led to an interesting revelation (translations via NeoGAF): Sapkowski sold Witcher‘s license to CD Projekt RED for 35,000PLN, which was paid in two installments – 15,000PLN and 20,000PLN. According to NeoGAF user boskee, this translates to $9,500 in today’s terms.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/03/the-witcher-rights-sold-for-9500/#6Wz9KkaK4o8By6Ic.99
    The thing is, if one sells their rights they "sell their rights".

If people want to retain control over their work or want to be compensated for the use of their work they need to put that in the contract.

If they don't do that then "it is what it is". I don't cry tears for creators who sell their rights and never see a thin "dime" thereafter if they don't put that in their contracts.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I believe the guy in the following link explains very well the relationship between the books and the games and how each helped each other to become popular.

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/7tcss4/another_take_on_whether_cd_projekt_red_witcher/

SBFordOctagon7711
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Xasapis said:
    Complaining about Witcher being gender locked makes as much sense as complaining about Lara Croft being gender locked.

On topic, I find it a bit disappointed that they ended up with just 8 episodes two years from now. I was hoping for more.

There was a time twenty years ago when a series was 20+ episodes, now its 10+ episodes I do wonder how many years before a series is 5+ episodes?
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    gonna be awesome if its stay true to witcher.
    Octagon7711
    edited April 2018
    Scot said:
    Xasapis said:

There was a time twenty years ago when a series was 20+ episodes, now its 10+ episodes I do wonder how many years before a series is 5+ episodes?
    Keep in mind that's not true everywhere. I believe in the UK you don't really get 20+ episodes every season.

If this isn't an American production then it stands to reason that they might not think to do this. Also, Netflix/HBO "not network" tends to spend a lot for their episodes to make them as good as they can so that means less episodes but presumably better quality.

Also, there is nothing wrong with telling a story in 8 episodes and making it complete and well paced. If you want, think of it as a mini-series.

SBFordIselin

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Xasapis said:

A series only needs to be as long as it needs to tell the story. What good are 20+ episodes when they're total rubbish?
    Agreed.  I don't care if it's a movie, show, miniseries or what, so long as I get to see Geralt realized in all his glory and a great story attached with moral grey areas.  That's what the game is about, that's what I'd like to see the show be about.

Arskaaa

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:
    Xasapis said:

Keep in mind that's not true everywhere. I believe in the UK you don't really get 20+ episodes every season.

If this isn't an American production then it stands to reason that they might not think to do this. Also, Netflix/HBO "not network" tends to spend a lot for their episodes to make them as good as they can so that means less episodes but presumably better quality.

Also, there is nothing wrong with telling a story in 8 episodes and making it complete and well paced. If you want, think of it as a mini-series.

Less episodes shot with feature film production values is very much the thing these days in Europe as well as independent US channels. The 20+ episode thing is pretty well gone except in the big 3 US networks.
    SovrathMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Scot said:

Xasapis said:

I find myself preferring the shorter episode seasons. Take something like Sherlock. It's able to tell amazing stories start to finish with only 3 episodes, in under 6hrs. Now take something like Castle. It's 95% stand alone story that has no continuation with the rest of the season. With Castle you get 1 episode, the first of the season, one in the middle to keep you going, and the finale that contains actual story and character development. The rest of those 15+hrs each season is formulaic and forgettable. I wouldn't mind the long 20+ episode seasons if they were actually worth watching. Most episodes though contain less than 30secs of carrot each episode to keep you going until winter break and then the finale.

Looking forward to The Witcher series. Just wish it was here sooner. I thought it was already in production and making it's way to the platform soon.
    [Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I just hope they do a good job.  You never know with Netflix.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Xasapis said:

See below.

The Author also hates games as a story telling median and considers the games based on his books to be a bad thing because people go in thinking it's a 1:1 adaptation and are wrong. 

He sounds like kind of a jerk in all of the things I've seen, or at least someone who doesn't like the fact that the games did so well. 
    [Deleted User]
    Xasapis said:

See below.

The Author also hates games as a story telling median and considers the games based on his books to be a bad thing because people go in thinking it's a 1:1 adaptation and are wrong. 

He sounds like kind of a jerk in all of the things I've seen, or at least someone who doesn't like the fact that the games did so well. 
    Read the link I provided in a comment above and you'll understand his viewpoint much better. It's not as black and white as you make it to be.
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:

See below.

Read the link I provided in a comment above and you'll understand his viewpoint much better. It's not as black and white as you make it to be.
    I can see where he wouldn't want to admit that the games didn't help him as what author wants to admit that his/her books couldn't become popular on their own but needed the help of a medium that they didn't really like.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:

See below.

Oh I understand it isn't as black and white, but his responses in general just come off as rather pompous.

If I wrote the books and they were relatively popular but had a game series come along based on my books that blew past the popularity of my books I would probably be hurt. I'll read the whole post later on the link you provided, I was just going based off of what i had heard on podcasts and articles a while ago. 
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Nothing is as simple as news articles and forum blurbs make them out to be. So in the spirit of keeping it simple. We wouldn't even be having this discussion without the contribution from CD Projeckt Red. End of story.

A lot of authors will never get this opportunity let alone those who remain informally published.
    I have to admit, I never heard of the stories outside the video game.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Avarix said:

Scot said:

Xasapis said:

I find myself preferring the shorter episode seasons. Take something like Sherlock. It's able to tell amazing stories start to finish with only 3 episodes, in under 6hrs. Now take something like Castle. It's 95% stand alone story that has no continuation with the rest of the season. With Castle you get 1 episode, the first of the season, one in the middle to keep you going, and the finale that contains actual story and character development. The rest of those 15+hrs each season is formulaic and forgettable. I wouldn't mind the long 20+ episode seasons if they were actually worth watching. Most episodes though contain less than 30secs of carrot each episode to keep you going until winter break and then the finale.

Looking forward to The Witcher series. Just wish it was here sooner. I thought it was already in production and making it's way to the platform soon.
    Some fair points about series becoming shorter not being a concern, I take the point of quality over quantity, that's bound to be good. But what it shows is studios have become less confident they can make a success. When you do something new, something original a series needs time to breath to catch on, ten episodes can be too short of that.

We are in what has been called a golden era for TV, but it also creates an environment were the first episode must grab you, a slow burner is a hard sell.
    Avarix