Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CIG Buying PCs For Their Streamers

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
I thought this was quite interesting.

It's going to be hard to consider these streamers are trying to display the game in an impartial manner when the company is providing goods like this.

Babuinix

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I generally assume someone streaming a game is more or less a fan rather than an impartial reviewer.
    MadFrenchieZenJelly[Deleted User]bartoni33Octagon7711Babuinix

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited April 2018
    CIG has a ton of #Optane SSDs to give away since last autumn. Those streamers are just a few of the 150+ backers who got an Optane SSD.

Furthermore its an Intel promo program. Everyone buying the Optane also gets Star Citizen.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/27/16554132/star-citizen-free-with-intel-ssd-exclusive-ship-raven

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/giveaway-rules

Have fun

PS:

>>> It's going to be hard to consider these streamers  >>>

I think no one forces you to watch these streamers. You are free to watch someone else.

ZenJelly[Deleted User]bartoni33
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    CIG has a ton of #Optane SSDs to give away since last autumn. Those streamers are just a few of the 150+ backers who got an Optane SSD.
    Furthermore its an Intel promo program. Everyone buying the Optane also gets Star Citizen.
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/27/16554132/star-citizen-free-with-intel-ssd-exclusive-ship-raven
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/giveaway-rules

Have fun

PS:

>>> It's going to be hard to consider these streamers  >>>

I think no one forces you to watch these streamers. You are free to watch someone else.

Are you sure they are just people who got an Optane because they are talking about beastly brand spanking new PCs.

>>I think no one forces you to watch these streamers. You are free to watch someone else.

Yeah no shit, that's not the point. I was just a bit surprised to see CIG doing this sort of sponsorship at this stage. Perhaps getting them these beastly PCs is the only way to make their game look like it runs acceptably :)
    alkarionlogaugustgraceZenJellyAnOldFartNevereverlandSinsai

Are you sure they are just people who got an Optane because they are talking about beastly brand spanking new PCs.

>>I think no one forces you to watch these streamers. You are free to watch someone else.

Yeah no shit, that's not the point. I was just a bit surprised to see CIG doing this sort of sponsorship at this stage. Perhaps getting them these beastly PCs is the only way to make their game look like it runs acceptably :)
    Sure. Because streamers generally use only the oldest hardware that they can get their hands on, amirite ?

Have fun
    ZenJelly
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Erillion, you completely ignored that the streamers got much more than an Optane.  Why?
    augustgraceZenJellySinsai

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion, you completely ignored that the streamers got much more than an Optane.  Why?
    Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and say he misunderstood 
    ZenJellypostlarvalSinsai
    They got a lot of components from three different sources: CIG,  Intel and a PC company.

CIG has been known to hand out Optanes for free. See links.

The streamer is excited about his new i9 ... which is incidently from Intel.

And he likes his new PC ... which - i assume - is from CyberpowerPC.

So .... in my opinion only one of these things is related to CIG. And the streamer is one of 150+ backers that received some free hardware from CIG. Most of this happened half a year ago.

Wake me when there are REAL news.

Have fun
    ZenJellySinsai
    The way the posts read, CIG paid for the PCs in full, not just the Optanes.  If that's not correct, let us know.
    Sinsai

The way the posts read, CIG paid for the PCs in full, not just the Optanes.  If that's not correct, let us know.
    If you read the same two posts in the OP like I do, there is nothing that says that CIG paid for the PCs in full.

The streamer thanks three companies for his new rig.

What evidence is there that CIG paid it all ?

If anything, it is more likely that Intel paid for all of it (as the Optanes that CIG hands out are also promotional freebies from Intel).

Have fun
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Just wow! The fanboism of some of you is unbelievable. CIG could murder people on the street and you'd find a way to defend them. 
    augustgraceZenJellyVrikaNevereverlandpostlarvalSinsaiScotchUp
    Erillion said:
    If you read the same two posts in the OP like I do, there is nothing that says that CIG paid for the PCs in full.

The streamer thanks three companies for his new rig.

What evidence is there that CIG paid it all ?

If anything, it is more likely that Intel paid for all of it (as the Optanes that CIG hands out are also promotional freebies from Intel).

Have fun
    I read them all, including Beet Wagon.  That's where I get the impression it was paid for by CIG.  That's also why I asked for clarification of it.

cmacq said:
    Just wow! The fanboism of some of you is unbelievable. CIG could murder people on the street and you'd find a way to defend them. 
    That is a Trump quote. Not from CIG.

Have fun
    postlarval
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Erillion said:
    cmacq said:
    That is a Trump quote. Not from CIG.

Have fun
    Have followed these threads for quite a while now. I think the best thing for me to do is just block you...
    ErillionOrinoriaugustgraceZenJellyNevereverlandSinsai
    I read them all, including Beet Wagon.  That's where I get the impression it was paid for by CIG.  That's also why I asked for clarification of it.
    Feel free to link additional information. I only know the posts shown in the OP.

Is someone specifically claiming that CIG paid for it all ?

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Feel free to link additional information. I only know the posts shown in the OP.

Is someone specifically claiming that CIG paid for it all ?

Have fun
    It's in the OP.  Posted by a user named Beet Wagon.

edited April 2018
    Which is an opinion and assumption. Not a fact.

Have fun

PS:
    A yes, Beet Wagon. Just checked out his videos.
    TOTALLY unbiased opinion ;-)
    TOTALLY not having an agenda here.
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Agreed. But how is that different from your responses to the contrary?

Erillion said:

Have fun
    Because I added the magic words "...in my opinion.." (scroll up). And provided some links to corroborate my opinion.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Because I added the magic words "...in my opinion.." (scroll up). And provided some links to corroborate my opinion.

Have fun
    I saw the links to Optane and how Intel is giving away a copy of SC with a purchase of hardware, not that Intel is giving away hardware with the purchase of SC.

Neither mentioned giving away fully built PCs.

I saw the links to Optane and how Intel is giving away a copy of SC with a purchase of hardware, not that Intel is giving away hardware with the purchase of SC.

And the streamer that received the PC did not mention either that CIG paid for it all.

That is just an assumption from someone ELSE, who has a chip on his shoulder w.r.t. CIG.

Have fun
    Erillion said:

And the streamer that received the PC did not mention either that CIG paid for it all.

That is just an assumption from someone ELSE, who has a chip on his shoulder w.r.t. CIG.

Have fun
    That's the sort of information I was seeking.  Who is Beet Wagon?  Where is his post coming from?

Honestly, them buying two PCs, based on their crowdfunding campaign, will do nothing to alter development.  The only issue I would even have is if they used crowdfunding cash to buy certain backers stuff.  That would be an issue for me personally (as it's basically taking money from one fan to give it to another), which is why I wanted to clarify what's going on here.

You can search for Beet Wagon on YouTube.

His "R.I.P." video may point out best his "chip on the shoulder" attitude w.r.t. CIG

>>> The only issue I would even have is if they used crowdfunding cash to buy certain backers stuff.  >>

Personally i think this is part of an Intel promo campaign. If you consider that Intel (via CIG) gave away 150+ Optanes for free, then the cost of a few gaming PCs is insignificant in that context.

Have fun

MadFrenchie
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'm guessing someone is eating these costs.....Maybe next month they'll use that KS money to give away a new car to some lucky backer.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2018
    You'd never get honest results but I wonder if you polled how many people who are offended with the way they use backer money are backers, and how many who are perfectly ok with the way they use backer money are not.

Personal estimation is about 90% of the people whining about misuse of backer funds have never put a penny into this game, and about 90% of the people who are chill have.

For whatever percentage of you there are that are angry with the way Star Citizen is using the funds you gave them, I would refer you here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/

Chances are you can fully recover everything you spent on the game there. Even make huge profits of you are an early backer with some good LTI ships.
    MadFrenchie
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Its not unusual that streamers and youtubers get stuff for free.
    ErillionBabuinix
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein