Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will classic servers be a long time succes?

Comments

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    VpIts hard to say, each vwill have a different....... 

but other people might not like that, because lets be real 50 people fighting over a 10 mob spawn for a quest drop isnt very fun, and for those who have forgotten. that is what vanilla was like.
    Yah, if we all play PVE servers it will happens quite a lot, but go to PvP and you get a blast, getting a small party to do some quests with you against eminent enemies pvp appearances
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited January 2018
    VpIts hard to say, each vwill have a different....... 

but other people might not like that, because lets be real 50 people fighting over a 10 mob spawn for a quest drop isnt very fun, and for those who have forgotten. that is what vanilla was like.
    Yah, if we all play PVE servers it will happens quite a lot, but go to PvP and you get a blast, getting a small party to do some quests with you against eminent enemies pvp appearances
    My first WOW server, Kel Thuzad was a PVP one, and at launch it's true, at the lowest zones it was a of a struggle competing for mob spawns, which actually is part of the challenge for me, keeps the PVE more interesting.

Once I reached Stranglethorn Vale evading the Horde quest / spawn campers became a far bigger challenge. (Curse you Fortis and Bellum) ;)

I had always hoped Blizzard would make a FFA server, that adds some extra challenge to the PVE side of the game and increases the sense of accomplishment when I finally reach max level in games where I did so multiple times.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The issue with classic servers is that the majority of people asking for it, have already played it.  Knowing everything there is to know about a game before you play it sort of kills the fun.  Which is why all this early early access crap is killing games before they even launch.

Now there are a lot of people who didn't start during vanilla who would like to see all that content that was washed away with each expansion release.  These people will probably enjoy vanilla the most.

As for fighting over quest objectives... that only happens when the locusts are on the move.  And the reality is, the game is much easier as a locust because everything is thinned out by all the players.  Try running around by yourself doing those very same quests compared to when there were 10 or more people in the area.  What you thought was a simple kill one mob quest turned out to a pull 3 mobs at once and run for your life type quest.  Running through Dustwallow Marsh as a lowbie to join your friends on another contentment by yourself when no one else was around was a challenge.  That same trek is totally different if protected by a high level or following a group that have thinned out the mobs along the way.

There were definitely things about the game that were bad, but far more good things to make up for it.  I liked the fact that even if you were on a PVE server, there was always some PVP mixed into it.  Contested zones made for some interesting times... more so than they do now.  But alas, I played during vanilla, so I know far too much about the game than when I did when I first played it.  I also know that I won't be seeing my old friends again because the reason we all played the game back then is not the reason we all play today.  It's not about hanging out dancing naked in Ironforge, it's about doing objectives and the like.  The social aspect of the game can't be rekindled in a reboot.  It's like suggesting platform shoes can make a comeback just because you decide to wear them again.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312
    laxie said:
    Does anyone know how Everquest 2 progression servers are doing? I know a lot of people went to try them, but I have no idea how many actually stayed long term.
    A great idea with serious potential, but failed implementation.  The skeleton crew that is Daybreak's EQ team can't seem to get anything right. 

We will blame it on low budget. . .
  • mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    If they build it with new engine / graphics, yes.  If not, I think it'll find a small group of nitch players.  I also like and want old WoW; however, I fear the old engine / graphics will detract from it's greatness.  Hard to undo what we know is possible.
    Powermike
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited January 2018
    There is a huge chance classic servers will kill the current WoW servers, which are half dead already.
    [Deleted User]
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    There is the question.
    It's all going to depend on how Blizzard handles the project long term really.

Will this be a refined release of the original game, or will it be more of a fork trying to capture the essence of the original game?

And will they get it right?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    short term yes,long term no.

What always happens is players play these games like a race,so for them a new server is a new race.
    Then as soon as they see they are left behind by those with no jobs,play 16 hours a day,they are like screw this and it dies and rather quickly.
    Think about it,what do players do in Wow,kill stuff,quest,raid,craft,nothing else,so what does anyone think a new server will accomplish...yep same old same old,just a new race.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:
    Nobody knows, but Blizzard has a plan that they are not sharing yet.

****since none of this is offically reported - unsubstantiated rumor clause applies, so treat this post as such****

Just a little inside info here - there is a huge split inside blizzard of employees who wanted classic and employees who were against it. 

Majority of the current WoW team was against classic servers, at least against how they are being done.

This is why Blizzard hiring new devs to do classic makes sense becuase internally the devs werent jumping on this project.

Also the reason of why they are hiring a new team is because of the bigger plan behind classic servers that they are keeping quiet.

I mean there is a lot of work to get classic done with new infrastructure, but once classic is done - then why have a whole team?

The plan beyond classic is this - redo all expansions with classic ruleset - yep. Thats why they need a team and thats why they see potential to keep this relevant and profitable even after noataliga wears off and numbers dwindle.

At least thats the plan now, after classic launches things might change
    That would be so awesome.
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• PowermikePowermike Member UncommonPosts: 12
    If they build it with new engine / graphics, yes.  If not, I think it'll find a small group of nitch players.  I also like and want old WoW; however, I fear the old engine / graphics will detract from it's greatness.  Hard to undo what we know is possible.

I kind of agree with that. I think they will do that actually, since they now or less said it's all about how it was back then, which is being immersed into the environment.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont really have any interest to go back and do that again....It was ok the first time around, but then once you started again with alts, each time it got more boring until you would be exhausted of questing.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Am I right in thinking you still need a subscription for WoW? If that's the case I don't think that these will be as successful in WoW as in Rift, bearing in mind that WoW starts with a higher playerbase.

One of the big pulls for this in Rift is that only subscription players can join, if you don't have that distinction in WoW, it won't take of as well.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The problem with classic servers is that the people who want them, already played them.  You can't change the fact that they know the zones, the boss fights, the absolute best specs, classes, and rotations.   Half the reason of even having social interaction is already gone right from the get go.  And lest we forget, the majority of the social interaction in classic WoW was NOT about the game play.  It was just friends having fun online together.  Most of the time they weren't even actively doing anything in game.  It was a different time back then when social media was in it's infancy.  You're asking to revive tic-tac-toe to a generation that has far more options than they did when tic-tac-toe was first introduced.

Rift's reboot isn't as successful as many think because it's just like the release of any game on fresh servers where everyone starts out the same.  It's why any game launch is populated.  It's only after everyone is at max level and at the point where they have outgrown the content that the real test begins.  Do these players actually want to hang out together here or do they only hang out here when there is some benefit in game to do so?  

That is the distinction.  Vanilla WoW was out for a fair amount of time before the first expansion hit.  Players didn't leave when there was no new content to devour.  They still logged in every day just to chit chat or do something silly.  You don't see that in today's games because no one really cares about the person on the other toon.  They might as well be some bot there to show up whenever called upon.  That's what LFG and LFR are... bot services.  

Those days are gone.  You can't recreate them... try as you might.  The genre has changed because the players have changed... even the rose-colored-glasses-bitter-vets are not the same.

Can you be a teenager again now that you are 50?  That's what you are asking to do... and not on a temporary basis like an amusement park ride, but continously.  It really will never happen.

ktanner3
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited April 2018
    btdt said:
    The issue with classic servers is that the majority of people asking for it, have already played it.  Knowing everything there is to know about a game before you play it sort of kills the fun.  Which is why all this early early access crap is killing games before they even launch.

Now there are a lot of people who didn't start during vanilla who would like to see all that content that was washed away with each expansion release.  These people will probably enjoy vanilla the most.

As for fighting over quest objectives... that only happens when the locusts are on the move.  And the reality is, the game is much easier as a locust because everything is thinned out by all the players.  Try running around by yourself doing those very same quests compared to when there were 10 or more people in the area.  What you thought was a simple kill one mob quest turned out to a pull 3 mobs at once and run for your life type quest.  Running through Dustwallow Marsh as a lowbie to join your friends on another contentment by yourself when no one else was around was a challenge.  That same trek is totally different if protected by a high level or following a group that have thinned out the mobs along the way.

There were definitely things about the game that were bad, but far more good things to make up for it.  I liked the fact that even if you were on a PVE server, there was always some PVP mixed into it.  Contested zones made for some interesting times... more so than they do now.  But alas, I played during vanilla, so I know far too much about the game than when I did when I first played it.  I also know that I won't be seeing my old friends again because the reason we all played the game back then is not the reason we all play today.  It's not about hanging out dancing naked in Ironforge, it's about doing objectives and the like.  The social aspect of the game can't be rekindled in a reboot.  It's like suggesting platform shoes can make a comeback just because you decide to wear them again.

I played to level 40 maybe.  Other games came out that I wanted to try.  I would love to go back and do it again.  I did play on a classic server and loved it.  The fear of a shut down ruins it though.

I am likely in the minority though.  Some people just want "hard" and competitive.  Maybe they didn't get to do Molten Core or something.  Without new content it will eventually reach an end point.  This could take a few years though. I would be happy to pay to play it again knowing the server or character would remain.

I should say I loved the world. . the slower progress meant seeing the world and feeling like you were somewhere important.. . not just a  bus stop.  I loved seeing the world and exploring all of the races / classes.  This is also why the level 40.  I think I still had greens :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I dont think so In less then a month a huge majorrity will realise that todays gameplay is so much better. .. the game has evolved for the good...
    I do think that Vanilla will have a short shelf life but i don't think it will be because of people realizing todays gameplay is superior. I think what will drive people away in droves from vanilla will be the commitment it takes. I think most people that played Vanilla have either grown up and have real life in the way or have become reprogrammed to play MMO's in the most efficient way possible. The grind, the time commitment, hell even the social aspect all a relic of the past. Doesn't mean they were inferior it just simply doesnt work in 2018. 

Today's game-play is shit, Its a watered down mindless grind. You use to have 2 skill bars full of ability's ,now you are lucky if you click 4 buttons during a fight. There is no element of the unknown anymore, In vanilla you went into raid-night with the excitement of "anything could drop tonight" it was exciting, Today you know exactly what you are getting and when you are getting it, Its just a matter of logging in everyday and paying your sub, Its a joke. With all that said it works, It allows you have fun without committing your life to said game. I Play , I have fun but i know, in the back of my head Vanilla was a superior experience. 

The best way to understand what im trying to say is look at a car from the 50's or 60's, Gorgeous body design, Big powerful engines,  they were like works of art back then, Then you look at todays cookie cutter eco friendly piece of shit or your soccer moms mini van , but you know in 2018 it works. I mean who's going to drive around in gas guzzling, pollution machine with no Air conditioner or power steering? I guess those guys you see on Sunday morning taking their 57 chevy bel air convertible  to a car show with other like minded collectors. The same will happen in Vanilla. There will be a small but dedicated fan base, Those that have the time and love much like your classic car guy on a Sunday morning.   
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Yea no one wants to play vanilla WoW....which is why this wasn't big news at all...

https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/11/11409436/world-of-warcraft-nostalrius-shutdown-legacy-servers-final-hours
    JeffSpicoli
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Elidien said:
    Elidien said:
    As the old saying goes, "You can;t go home again" and it applies to nostalgia in MMOs too.

I love DAOC. My best gaming memories are from it. I still try and login a couple times a year and those memories come rushing back. Then after a day or two, the nostalgia vanishes and I am left with a  shell of a game and memories of what was.

Blizzard has to have more than a 1-60 classic experience in mind or the sane thing will happen. Huge influx, a few months down the road, people leaving en mass. They will need something to hang around for and trying to get 25 people together EVERY night to raid won't do it.
    Vanilla was 40 people.  So even more difficult.
    Yeah, I was a guild leader at launch. I am still in counseling trying to cope with the fallout of trying to fill 40 man raids nightly.
    While I get the sentiment, my Spidey senses tell me nobody designed those raids with the idea that players should try to gather a group and run them nightly.  That seems like a self-inflicted wound, bud.
    Aethaeryn

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited April 2018
    I disagree, today's gameplay isn't so much better its so much easier and removes the feeling of accomplishment.  People still achieve the material object or objective in the end but its a hallow soulless experience.
    JeffSpicoli
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,870
    It will last as long as you expect a snapshot in time of an MMO to last. (Not long) It will probably be huge at first though, bigger then most modern day MMO launches if I had to guess. Most players will get bored pretty quickly though as the barrier for entry to the content they are used to playing (Raid content) is extremely high. It is not a progression server as they have stated numerous times, so it will end when the content drought (which will never end) starts to take shape. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Elidien said:
    Elidien said:
    As the old saying goes, "You can;t go home again" and it applies to nostalgia in MMOs too.

I love DAOC. My best gaming memories are from it. I still try and login a couple times a year and those memories come rushing back. Then after a day or two, the nostalgia vanishes and I am left with a  shell of a game and memories of what was.

Blizzard has to have more than a 1-60 classic experience in mind or the sane thing will happen. Huge influx, a few months down the road, people leaving en mass. They will need something to hang around for and trying to get 25 people together EVERY night to raid won't do it.
    Yeah, I was a guild leader at launch. I am still in counseling trying to cope with the fallout of trying to fill 40 man raids nightly.
    While I get the sentiment, my Spidey senses tell me nobody designed those raids with the idea that players should try to gather a group and run them nightly.  That seems like a self-inflicted wound, bud.
    The way they put the RNG into the loot pinata system it pretty much mandated it though.
    As I understand it, running it every night did nothing but provide extra rolls of the loot die.  I do agree that's an issue when compounded by the fact there was no real alternative at the time to raiding.
    [Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Torval said:
    Elidien said:
    Elidien said:

The way they put the RNG into the loot pinata system it pretty much mandated it though.
    As I understand it, running it every night did nothing but provide extra rolls of the loot die.  I do agree that's an issue when compounded by the fact there was no real alternative at the time to raiding.
    Besides PVP you mean?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    From what i have seen on multiple private servers i would have to say its going to be huge at first. I saw one private server they announced had over 10k+ accounts on day one. but it quickly declines as people hit max level and get bored. which is what will happen on the vanilla servers, not to mention the people who will quit when they quickly get tired of fighting others over mob spawns.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    i wish people will stop trying to tell me what the hell i like and dont, i LIKE VANILLA WOW , I PREFER IT TO CURRENT WOW, AND I WILL PLAY IT AGAIN FOR YEARS ONCE ITS RELEASED, current wow sucks go play it it u love it so much
    Viper482delete5230KyleranNildenAethaerynktanner3
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    rush1984 said:
    i wish people will stop trying to tell me what the hell i like and dont, i LIKE VANILLA WOW , I PREFER IT TO CURRENT WOW, AND I WILL PLAY IT AGAIN FOR YEARS ONCE ITS RELEASED, current wow sucks go play it it u love it so much

You will find a group of people on this site that assume because they feel a certain way it has to be that way for everyone. When we old school-style MMORPG fans speak of the good ol' days they claim this is mere nostalgia and we could not possibly prefer the old style MMORPG to today's "superior" trash bin of single player online games with a chat feature.   
    rush1984iNeokidelete5230
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Viper482 said:
    rush1984 said:

You will find a group of people on this site that assume because they feel a certain way it has to be that way for everyone. When we old school-style MMORPG fans speak of the good ol' days they claim this is mere nostalgia and we could not possibly prefer the old style MMORPG to today's "superior" trash bin of single player online games with a chat feature.   
    I'm still playing SWG Emu and love it, I will likely do the same when classic servers come out.  I just recently tried to get into Earth & Beyond EMU as well, but sadly the population is so small I couldn't stomach the lost community feeling.

I miss the old games, I still pop into Anarchy Online here and there as well. They just don't make em like they used to, whether that's us older gamers just stuck into our old ways, or just new game quality declining is something always for debate between people. But I side with you both.

TwitchTV: iNeoki