Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beyond Skyrim: Three Kingdoms

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
Announcement trailer. 
MadFrenchieGameolioDan

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Skyrim was a shitty game, takes modders to make it a great game, sad really sad indeed.
    IselinTheScavengerSovrathalkarionlogGilcroix
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Maurgrim said:
    Skyrim was a shitty game, takes modders to make it a great game, sad really sad indeed.
    Totally changed my mind about Skyrim after reading your comment.  Thank you for the informative post.  I am now aware of how shitty a game Skyrim was.
    cameltosisalkarionlogEldurianVrikadougha1
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Looking good, can't wait.
    Asheram
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    What is Beyond Skyrim, a spin off game or something?
    --------------------------------------------
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Its one of 5 dlc sized mods in the works.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited April 2018
    Its a mod that adds entire new land(s) to Skyrim...all part of the same world, no standalone, its actually part of Skyrim. And it doesn't go in the past to re-create a game we already played...its the same time period, same "world" and all seamless...mostly...think there loading screens though but oh well, still not standalone which is good. Its the best mod for Skyrim. Its such a high quality mod with amazing voice acting.

Only Beyond Skyrim Bruma is out though, but that one is amazing

When I upgrade my PC next month and this new Beyond Skyrim is out, its time to reinstall Skyrim!
    Asheram

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Just really makes me wish that Bethesda would make a new Elder Scrolls game!

I'm a fan of the series, but Skyrim was the worst so far. Yes, mechanically the series keeps getting better and better, but in terms of creativity they're going down hill. The world of Skyrim was just boring, very bleak and samey. I got so bored looking at the same snowy vistas and brown swamps, or exploring the same castles and repetitive caves. The scaling issue even resulted in the enemies being pretty boring!

Mods like this really show what is possible within the engine itself, they just take so long to develop that my interest is usually gone by the time they are ready to play. 
    JemAs666
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Skyrim wasnt worse than arena but I doubt many played that....I still enjoyed Daggerfall the most.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Beyond Skyrim: Bruma was a terrible mod. Artistically, it was very well done. They created Bruma in great detail. That's where it ended. Aside from laggy load times, memory leaks, crashes and failed texture loads, the mod bored me to tears. 

Such wasted potential.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Skyrim wasnt worse than arena but I doubt many played that....I still enjoyed Daggerfall the most.

Cut my teeth on Daggerfall would like to see it redone, is everything shitty now ? MEH but nostalgia and rose tinted glasses for the win.

Seriously though I did enjoy Skyrim, for those that say it was empty and bleak, it was an ice snow filled bleak landscape with valleys of vegetation, go to North Norway for a few weeks and tell me how crowded it was.

But I do agree that the direction was a little bit dumbed down, but seeing as it was their biggest seller, what does that truly say about us.

Looking forward to see how these "DLC's" go wasn't that impressed with Bruma, not the content but issues with how it ran. 
    [Deleted User]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'm a fan of the series, but Skyrim was the worst so far. Yes, mechanically the series keeps getting better and better, but in terms of creativity they're going down hill. The world of Skyrim was just boring, very bleak and samey. I got so bored looking at the same snowy vistas and brown swamps, or exploring the same castles and repetitive caves. The scaling issue even resulted in the enemies being pretty boring!

Mods like this really show what is possible within the engine itself, they just take so long to develop that my interest is usually gone by the time they are ready to play. 
    It really wasn't bleak and samey. I think this is just a taste thing.

Each area has a different feel. The snowy areas are so beautiful. Riften area was exceptionally beautiful

But, if you are looking for forests of green then of course not. Still, Oblivion had that. Of course there was the same complaint even though each area there also looked different.

And a friend of mine, who only plays Elder Scrolls games, absolutely loved the world of skyrim. Of course, he loves ice and snow and that type of environment.

If one is just adamant against those biomes then "it is what it is".

Then there are the "everything but the kitchen sink" players who want it all, different, including over the top biomes, all crammed together.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Maurgrim said:
    It's so shitty that I've been playing it since launch. ;)
    AlBQuirky

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

I really like Skyrim in that it was the most immersive for me yet. Use a skill, the skill levels, you do want to consider your build but you don't need to put much thought into how you level.

Oblivion had this super meta system where you needed to consider very carefully what skills to use as you leveled so as not to end up with low health, stamina, or magicka. The optimal leveling patterns were making your "class skills" skills that you rarely use, leveling the correct skills to get max magicka, stam and health gains, and then using a class skill to push a level.

It was a very grindy, tedious system. So despite Oblivion having some really cool stories and premises it very much felt like an inferior game because Skyrim completely removed the grind aspect that dominated that game.
    edited April 2018
    Eldurian said:

I really like Skyrim in that it was the most immersive for me yet. Use a skill, the skill levels, you do want to consider your build but you don't need to put much thought into how you level.

Oblivion had this super meta system where you needed to consider very carefully what skills to use as you leveled so as not to end up with low health, stamina, or magicka. The optimal leveling patterns were making your "class skills" skills that you rarely use, leveling the correct skills to get max magicka, stam and health gains, and then using a class skill to push a level.

It was a very grindy, tedious system. So despite Oblivion having some really cool stories and premises it very much felt like an inferior game because Skyrim completely removed the grind aspect that dominated that game.
    I never played Oblvion in that way (or any Elder Scrolls game for that matter) I just played them how I wanted and everything fell into place.

Since I was able to defeat the final encounter in Oblvion fairly easily I would actually replay it several times just to feel like I had a work out. edit: I even made a small mod to make whatshisname more powerful.

I would say the only encounter that ever game me issue, playing my way and not planning out any builds or the like, was the Ebony Warrior in Skyrim. I was only able to defeat him with sword and shield as I had a huge problem defeating him with two handed sword.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Sovrath said:

Each area has a different feel. The snowy areas are so beautiful. Riften area was exceptionally beautiful

But, if you are looking for forests of green then of course not. Still, Oblivion had that. Of course there was the same complaint even though each area there also looked different.
    The Falkreath Hold is a green pine forested area and it is a good chunk of the southern part of the map.  ;)   I personally think Blackreach giant glowing mushrooms biome is very cool looking too.

The Rift aspen tree forest is the best looking though.
    Sovrath
    edited April 2018
    azarhal said:
    Sovrath said:

The Falkreath Hold is a green pine forested area and it is a good chunk of the southern part of the map.  ;)   I personally think Blackreach giant glowing mushrooms biome is very cool looking too.

The Rift aspen tree forest is the best looking though.
    When I said that I was thinking more "lush" forest like this:

True, Falkreath is green pine.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited April 2018
    Not me. Not a huge fan of fantasy settings. Prefer Fallout Universe over Elder Scrolls.

I'm actually hoping this new sci-fi game in development by Bethesda called Starfield gets announced as true @ E3 this year.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    immodium said:
    Not me. Not a huge fan of fantasy settings. Prefer Fallout Universe over Elder Scrolls.

I'm actually hoping this new sci-fi game in development by Bethesda called Starfield gets announced as true @ E3 this year.
    They were going to announce "Starfield" (it was gonna be something big anyway) last year at E3, but a disaster must have happened and their entire plans changed so they had to scrap up crap cause it was too late to backdown from E3.

Hopefully this E3 works out better for them and nothing happens behind the scenes. I'm curious to know what they are working on besides remaking Skyrim and Fallout 4 for every platform possible.

immodium

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Spoiler Alert: Sima Yi wins.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Eldurian said:

So, to give some more context to my feelings on Elder Scrolls. 

I hate stories in computer games, so I view the stories in all Elder Scrolls games as shit. They are equally shit in all of them. The only one that stands out as being kinda good was the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. 

Mechanically, the series has been getting better and better. In the early games, there was no skill involved at all. Just click the mouse button to attack and occasionally move out of the way. Oblivion stepped it up with some better stealth mechanics, more responsive blocking etc. Skyrim was better still. 

On the world building, I think things have been getting worse. If you look at the earlier games up to Morrowind, the worlds were really diverse, but most importantly, they were high fantasy. The creatures living the the world matched the world. It was exciting to explore and see what was out there. This diversity applied not only to the external world, but also to the dungeons too. 

Oblivion seemed to scrap that idea. Instead of high fantasy, for some reason they made Oblivion into Medieval Europe. Lots of rolling green hills and standard castles. Being British myself, this somewhat appealed to me, but the lack of high fantasy and diversity bothered me. It wasn't exciting to explore. Skyrim then following in Oblivions footsteps, except this time they chose Medieval Scandinavia. Not much diversity, but the landscape also didn't speak to me on a personal level either as I've never lived in such an environment. 

So, I can appreciate the level of detail in Skyrim. I cannot fault the size of the world. It's just boring and uninspiring to me. Once you've left the starter area, been to Whiterun, been to Riften, been up north to visit the wizards, you've basically seen everything the game has to offer in terms of world building. 

Progression wise, it's hard to tell. Bethesda has never been great at progression. Morrowind gave me the greatest sense of progression, but as the combat was so basic that progression was mostly stats / gear. But, there was awesome gear everywhere! This was one of the biggest draws to the game for me. There were so many exciting places to discover with interesting, diverse layouts and enemies. I was always finding new gear to wear, so I was always exploring. 

Oblivion introduced scaling which fucked up everything. My first playthrough I completed without seeing any interesting Daedra because my level was too low so everything was scaled down. So, every subsequent playthrough I would spend 2 or 3 hours grinding out levels to trick the scaling. Once I hit level 20, then I'd start the actual game. 

With Skyrim, again, scaling made it pretty boring for progression. The only things that seemed to change the way the game played were stealth and some magic. All the other progression was more like background changes (e.g. occasionally decapitating someone, or having better armour). But, what bugged me was the lack of loot. Not only did I find the world pretty boring and uninspiring to begin with, I never found any good loot. The thieves guild and dark brotherhood armour sets eclipsed all other loot and both sets were trivial to get. The lack of loot, combined with repetitive caves and camps, totally killed my desire to explore. 

Now, don't get me wrong, whilst I believe Skyrim is the worst Elder Scrolls game I've played, I've still sunk a lot of hours into it, I've still modded it a lot and I still got a lot of fun out of it. It just wasn't as good as it's predecessors and the repetitive nature of the world resulted in boredom much quicker for me. 
  • GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114

Projects like these are nice, but, will it ever get finished?