Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did other games celebrated 420 because I know of one that sold POT upgrades

blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
Shroud of the Avatar did a special POT upgrades sale for all elite players that already own one of the Player Owned Towns.  Portalarium wanted to celebrate smoking pot with their players so they gave people that already owned these towns a chance to upgrade them at a discount which is good since some of these towns sell bare bones with no land deeds or houses for $6k from the cash shop.

This sale was only for the 350 players that already owned one though because they are a retired item.  You can buy them on the player economy but they cost a lot more than $6k, which is weird because the game is empty.

Did any other games did anything to celebrate being a cannabis user on 420.
RealizerEldurian

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Seems like a desperate stunt to me.
    mrputts
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Just out of general curiosity.  Why are you so interested in which games celebrated pot smoking.  Is this some sort of validation post or are you curious which developers used precious development time on pot related content or which developers tried to make money of it somehow?
    Scot
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    goboygo said:
    Just out of general curiosity.  Why are you so interested in which games celebrated pot smoking.  Is this some sort of validation post or are you curious which developers used precious development time on pot related content or which developers tried to make money of it somehow?

I have never seen anyone use 420 like a real holiday before to put things on sale.  I think it was funny they would relate one of their most expensive store items to a pot holiday and want to know if other games do this now too.  Is smoking pot really that big in MMO now that it can be openly endorsed to market microtransactions?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    GS2 last night had a show about trippy games for 4/20 that you don't need drugs for, does that count?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I stand against anything which gives gamers a bad reputation, linking gaming to pot smoking is just the sort of thing the next inquiry into gaming will love to expound on as an issue.
    RealizerKyleran
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Shroud of the Avatar did a special POT upgrades sale for all elite players that already own one of the Player Owned Towns.  Portalarium wanted to celebrate smoking pot with their players so they gave people that already owned these towns a chance to upgrade them at a discount which is good since some of these towns sell bare bones with no land deeds or houses for $6k from the cash shop.

This sale was only for the 350 players that already owned one though because they are a retired item.  You can buy them on the player economy but they cost a lot more than $6k, which is weird because the game is empty.

Wait. Are you saying that $6000 USD items exist in that games cash shop?
    Realizer
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2018
     If any of you 4/20 debbie downers have celebrated St.Patrick's day while living anywhere outside of Ireland, you can respectfully go stub your toe.. Thanks in advance. 

Edit: This whole thread is LOL
    Phaserlight
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited April 2018
    delete
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2018
    Realizer said:
     If any of you 4/20 debbie downers have celebrated St.Patrick's day while living anywhere outside of Ireland, you can respectfully go stub your toe.. Thanks in advance. 

St Patrick's day come along once a year.  Whereas pot smokers are constantly referring to 4/20 daily.  It's tiresome.  We get it. You smoke weed.  We don't care.
    KyleranScotpostlarval
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Grunty said:
    Realizer said:

St Patrick's day come along once a year.  Whereas pot smokers are constantly referring to 4/20 daily.  It's tiresome.  We get it. You smoke weed.  We don't care.
    420 comes along once a year unless the 20th April occurs more than once?

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

edited April 2018
    Smoey said:
    Grunty said:
    Realizer said:

And every single day 4:20 comes along twice a day and all the edge lords and rule breakers must announce to the world how edgy they are.  In this way I'd rather it be the '70s where smokers whispered among their friends.
    ScotPhaserlight[Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I would think that most larger companies are going to stay well away from any 420 celebration for many years... Because while legal in some places... Still very much a cultural taboo. 

SotA ofc being desperate enough for exposure that they had nothing to lose. =P 

This have been a good conversation

Rhoklaw said:
    Grunty said:
    Smoey said:
    Grunty said:
    Realizer said:

And every single day 4:20 comes along twice a day and all the edge lords and rule breakers must announce to the world how edgy they are.  In this way I'd rather it be the '70s where smokers whispered among their friends.
    As opposed to not only the Irish but pretty much 20% of the world population get drunk at no particular time of day? Oh look, I'm a drunk asshole and it's 10:00 AM. Oh look, I'm a drunk asshole and it's 2:30 PM. Anyone know what time it is? IT'S BEER THIRTY DUDE!
    You're right. I rather not hear it from  either group.  
    postlarvalPhaserlight
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Hey bud, let's party! 
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    Scot said:
    I stand against anything which gives gamers a bad reputation, linking gaming to pot smoking is just the sort of thing the next inquiry into gaming will love to expound on as an issue.
    Pot smoking nor gaming are issues.  Anyone attempting to create an issue around it is either ill-informed or has ulterior motives.  Either way, it seems silly to fear that.
    [Deleted User]FearumEldurianRealizer

Scot said:
    Pot smoking nor gaming are issues.  Anyone attempting to create an issue around it is either ill-informed or has ulterior motives.  Either way, it seems silly to fear that.
    The problem is such inquiries are not led by reason, they are led by politicians with an agenda who either sit in judgment or decide the framework the inquiry takes. They start with the premise that gaming has negative connotations and look for anything they can hang that premise on. So if games seem to celebrate pot smoking, that is going to be snapped up as "proof".

A recent study suggested that playing shooters can cause damage to the hippocampus, that's brain damage. The study did warn against drawing too strong a conclusion, but that did not stop the media from running with it. Reason is rather selectively used when it comes to "issues".
    MadFrenchie
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    For a drug that isn't supposed to be addicting, alot of people sure seem addicted to it and cant live without it.
    Fearum
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    For a drug that isn't supposed to be addicting, alot of people sure seem addicted to it and cant live without it.
    It's a little hard to explain but it's not the thing itself that is addicting it's the feeling you get while on it that might be. Which I guess could be like a lot of drugs but there isn't the massive side effects of addiction like withdrawls because it isn't actually addictive. 

I have friends who fully embrace the 420 culture, who are perfectly happy all the time just being high, which if that's what they want to do more power to them.

For me I did smoke a lot of weed, but it wasn't solely because I liked being high, I just didn't want to have to take Xanax or some really altering anxiety medication (I have extreme anxiety almost all the time) when I could just smoke a little bit and feel fine for a few hours. 
    [Deleted User]Fearum
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    420 never really seemed to make it's way over to the UK as far as I'm aware. I'm assuming this is because we write our dates in the correct way (20-4 not 4-20) :tongue:

As for weed itself.....I'm a habitual user. I love it. Its not something I shout about normally, but it's also not something I keep secret. Even my boss knows about it. 

Thing is, its one of those drugs that from the outside seems bad. But, with the slightest bit of education you quickly realise that it's less harmful than alcohol, so at that point most people stop giving a shit and treat it just like booze - do what you want on your own time, just don't let it affect your work. 

I do admit to myself that I smoke too often (every day). For me though, I use it as a crutch to help me with depression. I have too many triggers in my daily life, so by the time I finish work I'm in a pretty poor state. A smoke in the evening calms me down instantly, allowing me to enjoy my spare time and allowing me to sleep. Without a smoke, I end up going crazy within a few weeks which usually results in me making rash decisions (like quitting my job) and so I find myself in a worse position than when I was smoking. 

Luckily, I know the drug isn't physically addictive. Whenever my symptoms of depression ease off or disappear for a while, I am instantly able to stop smoking green with no adverse side effects. 

The only thing I do worry about is the smoke, can't be good for my throat and lungs!
  • LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
     the correct way (20-4 not 4-20) :tongue:

Them's fighting words!
    cameltosis

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2018

This has to be one of your most ridiculous attacks against SOTA yet. 

Nobody does 420 sales but the fact they did is kind of hilarious. Certainly doesn't make me think any less of them.
    Luxumaru said:
     the correct way (20-4 not 4-20) :tongue:

Them's fighting words!

We can't help it if you chaps get things the wrong way round. ;)
    cameltosis
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    The problem is such inquiries are not led by reason, they are led by politicians with an agenda who either sit in judgment or decide the framework the inquiry takes. They start with the premise that gaming has negative connotations and look for anything they can hang that premise on. So if games seem to celebrate pot smoking, that is going to be snapped up as "proof".

A recent study suggested that playing shooters can cause damage to the hippocampus, that's brain damage. The study did warn against drawing too strong a conclusion, but that did not stop the media from running with it. Reason is rather selectively used when it comes to "issues".
     So you're saying the problem is people who want to take away the Freedoms of others. Gaming doesn't hurt anyone but the individual making the choice. Same with Marijuana if it weren't illegal, and gangs/criminal activity wasn't involved it wouldn't hurt anyone but the person smoking it.

What we should be doing is talking trash to those who would use a plant to take away your games. If you're a U.S. Citizen maybe you should advocate for the 10th Amendment which says; "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." 

There should be no Federal laws pertaining to games, or marijuana according to the 10th Amendment. If laws are to be passed regarding them, they should be up to the individual states to take a vote of their citizens.