Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass Case: Modular, Quiet, Beautiful - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFractal Define R6 Tempered Glass Case: Modular, Quiet, Beautiful - MMORPG.com

Fractal Design is one of the most respected names in computer cases. Their award winning designs have provided for the needs of countless PC builders. Their Define series has lead the industry in “quiet case” design. We recently updated our benchmarking system and built from the ground up in the newly released Define R6 Tempered Glass Edition. As newcomers to Fractal, we’re here to tell you if it lives up to the hype.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LenoxLenox Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited April 2018
    my #1 requirement for any upright standing case is PSU at the bottom !!!!

especially if i am paying over $100 for a case
    I have a case by this company .. i use Define C for one of my desktops and it looks extremely similar to this one but for 1/2 the price
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Tempered glass does not help with noise reduction or cooling, indeed some studies show it can help noise transmission. this is fashion and nothing more. Your rig should perform well, that's its sole purpose, its not an objet d'art.

Apart from that this is one of the best cases you can buy, so if you can overlook the gimmick its worth a look.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    This is a nice case, and the price is reasonable. I have been using the same Antec Twelve hundred case for years now, but it is big, loud and hard to clean. I bought it years ago because at the time, it was one of the few cases you could fit a Noctua CPU fan in. I may consider this since instead of having to pull 4 dust filters, it's just one.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    lenox said:

I have a case by this company .. i use Define C for one of my desktops and it looks extremely similar to this one but for 1/2 the price
    Heat rises

Ventilation is my #1 requirement.
    [Deleted User]xxBoneZxx

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

t0nyd said:
    laserit said:
    lenox said:

Heat rises

I wish Silverstone would refresh the ft02. Best case for air imo. 
    I use to love Silverstone boxes. Those all aluminum no plastic ones were kick ass.
    [Deleted User]

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124

lenox said:

Why anyone would want the heat of a PSU rising up from the bottom through the case is beyond me (as another poster mentioned). The heat from the PSU should ventilate out of the back and top vents. Not up through the case and through another fan.
    edited April 2018

laserit said:

lenox said:

Heat rises

all my systems are full liquid cooled.. i stopped dealing with internal fans ages ago ...

i have CPU and GPU both liquid cooled and SSDs do not really get hot :D besides that i have nothing in there that requires cooling as for the PSU i use FSP Hydro PTM
    edited April 2018
    grr double post
    lenox said:

laserit said:

lenox said:

Heat rises

all my systems are full liquid cooled.. i stopped dealing with internal fans ages ago ...

i have CPU and GPU both liquid cooled and SSDs do not really get hot :D besides that i have nothing in there that requires cooling as for the PSU i use FSP Hydro PTM
    Why does the PSU need to be on the bottom? is it a center of gravity thing? I'm not seeing the importance, help me out. 

And your not watercooling your chipsets?  Are your radiators separate and external or are they on or in your box? And what about your ram? You still need good ventilation through the case no matter what. Like I said heat rises, that's just good old Mother Nature and physics. Might as well use it to your advantage.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Fractal Design cases are the best.
    [Deleted User]AvanahGameByNight
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Scot said:

Tempered glass does not help with noise reduction or cooling, indeed some studies show it can help noise transmission. this is fashion and nothing more. Your rig should perform well, that's its sole purpose, its not an objet d'art.

Apart from that this is one of the best cases you can buy, so if you can overlook the gimmick its worth a look.

Pretty sure you can pick up every Fractal Design case windowless to reduce noise. For sure, tempered glass is definitely noisier than going windowless. That said Fractal Design cases tend to be quieter than most other designs, so it's probably not as large of a tradeoff here as it may be with other cases.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    MikeB said:

Scot said:

Pretty sure you can pick up every Fractal Design case windowless to reduce noise. For sure, tempered glass is definitely noisier than going windowless. That said Fractal Design cases tend to be quieter than most other designs, so it's probably not as large of a tradeoff here as it may be with other cases.
    I have one myself, so can but agree. :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I should patent it but i can't believe i have yet to see "doesn't mean it doesn't exist" but sliding windows to make access easier.Windows can be done with rubber around the seams to reduce noise
    IDK about noise i never think about,i guess because i am listening to mine right now and there is no noise lol and mine is a real cheap case.

IMO if there is noise,your PSU is cheap,your fans are cheap and the connections to tighten the case are also cheap/not tight enough and rubber can be used in some areas to reduce vibration noise.

None the less ,i have to take my pc cover off and stick my head right in there to hear any noise,so if my cheap machine is that quiet,others should b e as well especially if your spending big money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2018
    Scot said:

Yup, I got my R6 case 2-3 years ago with the metal side because it comes with sound deadening material.  It's the most quiet case I've had.  The loudest thing in the system is the GPU fan.

The one thing they went cheap on is the drive bay pod.  
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    xxBoneZxx said:

lenox said:

Why anyone would want the heat of a PSU rising up from the bottom through the case is beyond me (as another poster mentioned). The heat from the PSU should ventilate out of the back and top vents. Not up through the case and through another fan.
    The airflow is supposed to be that the power supply fan blows air from inside the case into the power supply and then out the back of the case.  The real question is why would you want to be blowing hot air that just came off of your CPU into the power supply?
    xxBoneZxx
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    lenox said:

Heat rises

The power supply should vent out the bottom and back, so it's not blowing air in the case.

For noise, the size of fans and their speed is probably a much greater factor than tempered glass. With some classy lighting, a nice box can be art and functional like classic stereo equipment.
    The intake of a psu is the bottom and they vent out the rear. If you feel the top of a psu enclosure in operation it will be warm to the touch.

My latest build has a reversed case with 1.5" of bottom clearance. The door is on the right instead of the left and the mother board is rotated 180deg with the io's at the top and the cpu at the bottom. The rad is on the bottom and draws from the bottom with two 90mm fans. I have two 120mm intake fans at the front and a single 120mm exhaust fan at the rear.

I've often though about making my own box

I've got two twenty three year old Sony N9000ES's that I run with a newer Denon, JBL L7's , Definitive center and sub, Energy C4 mid's and Energy rears and a Sony E9000ES being stored in the closet (can't bear the thought of getting rid of it) ;)

I had some Haflers back in the day :)

[Deleted User]

• nameusernameuser Member UncommonPosts: 43
    My next build will use the Define R6 Blackout better without the TG. Sexy af
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I don't really care about noise cause I guess my Corsair ML fans are quiet enough. I also am usually wearing my headset which blocks almost all noise anyway.
    [Deleted User]
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I have the 

Define R5 Black ATX Mid Tower Case

in my current system I built back in Oct 2015. I will build a new system this Fall/Xmas.

I usually get New everything but I may just keep this Case for my next build. I love it.
    [Deleted User]

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Torval said:

I'm just glad that there are decent functional cases that also don't look like a cast-off prop from a b-rated seventies sci-fi TV series.
    You and me both :)
    Scot

laserit said:
    Torval said:

I'm just glad that there are decent functional cases that also don't look like a cast-off prop from a b-rated seventies sci-fi TV series.
    You and me both :)

For now, but in the future we  will only be able to buy an objet d'art which flashing LED's both outside and inside. I think it will probably play its own b-rated 70's SF tunes by then too. :)
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    I still think that the Corsair Graphite 760t is the best overall case. Having seen and worked with them several times now they are a joy to use. The hinged sides make it much more enjoyable to work with and the fan configuration and airflow is fantastic. Another good choice is still the rosewill thor v2 (albeit cable management could be better in the case) These are both fantastic cases as well as this case here. However tempered glass is fully unecessary. If you want a quiet case on air I would wholly recommend the Thor V2 or the HAF series from Cooler Master. These use large fans that have a high amount of air moved (exhaust moves less for good reason. They are generally very quiet running though as those big fans run at a lower RPM and still have good airflow.