Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - GW2 Has Stolen My Heart - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Got bored with the game over time--and annoyed. The UI design choices were just stupid. The limited ability menus that required you to flip through them to utilize your character was a good example. Have an ability on cooldown? Well it's hidden from you now while going through the combat rotation so you don't know when it's ready again. Ridiculous.

Artwork style was another issue. Some people obviously like it. I'm not a fan of having almost every character look like a 12-year-old. Other art assets were in the same boat, which is a boat that seemed to be made for the under-10 crowd.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited April 2018
    Aeander said:
    jircris said:
    I love the negativity people throw around now days. I have been playing gw2 since it launched with 12 lvl 80s. This game is not for everyone, it's like wow some people love it others tolerate it and some hate it. Just because some one enjoys the game and mentioned having to try it multiple times before it finally clicked with them does not mean they are forcing you to do the same. Personally out of the 80+ mmos I have played this year alone gw2 still it's my go to. This does not mean I play it 24/7 in fact I take month long breaks some times. My advice to everyone is to find a game you enjoy and play it. Being a negative child on a fortun does nothing but show how bad the community is becoming.
    Why 12 though? I have one of every character, and I have extra slots left, but I see no reason to create duplicates of a character
    I do it for roleplaying purposes. I have a roster of 14 characters and counting. Each has a different look with a different elite specialization and playstyle. 
    Yeah, I sometimes do the same thing in certain games. I would never have 14 characters but I could feasibly make a different looking character maybe different race or sex but same class and play it differently.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    edited April 2018

jircris said:

I love the negativity people throw around now days. I have been playing gw2 since it launched with 12 lvl 80s. This game is not for everyone, it's like wow some people love it others tolerate it and some hate it. Just because some one enjoys the game and mentioned having to try it multiple times before it finally clicked with them does not mean they are forcing you to do the same. Personally out of the 80+ mmos I have played this year alone gw2 still it's my go to. This does not mean I play it 24/7 in fact I take month long breaks some times. My advice to everyone is to find a game you enjoy and play it. Being a negative child on a fortun does nothing but show how bad the community is becoming.

Why 12 though? I have one of every character, and I have extra slots left, but I see no reason to create duplicates of a character

Because I wanted to? As well as roleplay reasons

psychosiz1pantaro

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited April 2018
    I took a break from Gw2 after 2 months of playing PoF. Even though I really like the Path of Fire as an expansion, open world content like new quality meta events, world bosses, collections etc wasn't there. So it left a very bad taste in my mouth. I played HoT more than 6 months straight after it launched till I took a break. Yes, I had many serious problems with HoT that I don't have with PoF but at least there was enough content to entertain me that amount of time. Right now I only play Gw2 for its living story events. I hop in when they release a new one, complete it and quit again.

However, even though I don't play Gw2, I wanna smash my head into the wall when I read all these comments here.  Most of the excuses you make for not playing Gw2 or how this game is bad is either outdated or completely false. You really think after all those expansions and updates this game got since release, it literally didn't change even a bit? The fact that people still think Gw2 has no pve content after you hit 80 is literally mind boggling. Yes, I quit Gw2 because after PoF I couldn't find enough pve content to continue playing it. However, I played this game for years. I already have 8 full ascended sets and 11 legendaries. I completed all fractal achievements and challenge modes and I really don't interested in raids enough to do them. So it is partly my problem that I quit it. But to say there is not enough pve content for a new player is straight up nonsense.
    pantaroLiljna
    edited April 2018

I hate that you cant change your name or anything, When I bought the game I was using an old name and everything themed around that old name. Cant stand the name anymore and when I found out its impossible to change it, kinda killed it even more for me. More then the game not being up to my likings.

Not a big fan of ESO but at least you can change all your stuff with them.

Character name it account name?

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited April 2018
    I really want to love GW2. I bought both expansions, I really liked the game prior to Heart of Thorns, but I just can't understand the content. It makes no sense to me. In HoT you are basically just trying to work your way around really confusing landscape going from one point to the next. The mastery system is also kind of odd and confusing as well. I really want to get into it I just don't know how to get past this heart of thorns content.

This is my problem with the game as well.  In addition to none of the classes really being interesting to me.  As well as there being no progression where I want there to be progression, and progression where I don't want there to be progression (or the wrong type of progression).  The 1-80 story, in retrospect, is horrible.  Though I had unrealistically high expectations that were set from being a major GW1 fan (to the point I had 3 accounts -- two of which had every cash shop item and Hall achievement). 

HoT had better storytelling, but everything else about that expansion was horrid to me.  From the strength of monsters (usually main tanks in games, so getting two shot by a vine was a no go for me from the start), to being unable to play with and follow friends because they could use some mushroom jump or had increased glide ability and the like.  In addition to not being able to play the advanced classes due to needing to grind for dozens and dozens of hours and spend hundreds of points to unlock traits to be effective.  Boosted a couple of characters and tried some guides to explore and such to get more points, but the world was so poorly designed (albeit beautiful in a lot of locations) in terms of movement that after a few days to a week, I kept on quitting.

The same exact thing happened with Path of Fire.  Boosted a character, got enough points to unlock sniper, but I have nothing unlocked for it as I need even more.  Then I think I want to try Daredevil, but run into the same problem.  Then there's ascended gear and stats to avoid specific damage modifiers so that you can advance to higher levels in some content.  Poorly designed dungeons that resulted in Zerg fests at the beginning and then field stacking laters on -- not sure what they have now.

I'd play it just for the story, but I have to spend a week or two just unlocking the traits of something I want to try.  And if I don't like it, then that's a week wasted.  I'd imagine with mounts that it's a bit faster.  But it's so boring now that I just don't know.  The only reason I bought Path of Fire was because I said I would if they released Elona and Cantha on their feedback forums a long time ago.  So I'm a man of my word if they do so.

Would pay to unlock those traits.  It consistently nags at me when I try to do some PoF story and I just end up quitting.  It's a problem I have with Legion as well -- not having all the tools available to me despite being max level (legendaries).  Made me completely stop playing some classes because the BiS legendary with a rotation and game play change that also drastically increases my damage isn't available to me -- and it's unrealistic to expect me to play 12 classes hardcore to unlock every legendary just so that I can casually log into to one and play a class that I'm itching to play on a particular day.  Not to mention not enough hours in the day.

I want to play GW2 as a game -- a casual game.  But it just wants me to do things I don't want to do.  So much for the whole no progression grind that I was excited for when the game was first released to us.  Hate the 1-80 leveling process (and I usually love leveling in games) after doing in once.  So after that work is done I want to play the class I want to play to the fullest extent (mechanically) possible.
    Post edited by Yaevindusk on
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited April 2018
    exile01 said:
    Every 3 days we have ads about GW2- guess it is dying slowly. Well deserved. GW1 on the other hand...
    So by that logic, I take it that ESO and Fortnite are also dying slowly? Or does this somehow magically only apply to games which you personally have a hate boner for?
    Post edited by Aeander on
    NephethMagikarpsGhostmaskedweaselanthonyw.grayTacticalZombehDakerupantaroLiljnaChills05
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

Every 3 days we have ads about GW2- guess it is dying slowly. Well deserved. GW1 on the other hand...

So by that logic, I take it that ESO and Fortnite are also dying slowly? Or does this somehow only magically only apply to games which you personally have a hate boner for?

Fortnite is the cool kid on the block. Eso is having an expansion or smth (dont really care about that one specificaly) but GW2 has no updates and no news still we see here non stop articles about GW2. DING DONG- what does that tell you? its dying.
    anthonyw.grayThupli
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    exile01 said:

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

So by that logic, I take it that ESO and Fortnite are also dying slowly? Or does this somehow only magically only apply to games which you personally have a hate boner for?

Fortnite is the cool kid on the block. Eso is having an expansion or smth (dont really care about that one specificaly) but GW2 has no updates and no news still we see here non stop articles about GW2. DING DONG- what does that tell you? its dying.

maskedweaselanthonyw.grayDakerupantaroThupli

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

exile01 said:

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

It tells me that your logical reasoning is beyond flawed. A 5+ year old game which is still being played and talked about is dying .... because it's still being played and talked about?
    MagikarpsGhostNephethanthonyw.grayDakeru

exile01 said:

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

erm they JUST launched living story update as well as some QoL updates. They also will be announcing another expansion sometime this year according to hints on the gw2 forums. So if you think this is dying, well I honestly do not know what to tell you. Maybe from the eyes of someone who goes out of their way to hate a game and not play it, it may look like it is on life support. But in reality I have not seen more players in the newbie and mid range zones In the past as I do now. End game I have had NO issue finding talented people to group with. I was and still am a HUGE gw1 fan, but I have come to terms gw2 is NOT the same style of game as gw1 was. It still has its own unique charm that a jaded eye can't see.
    anthonyw.grayDakeru

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    I've played Guild Wars 1 for 3k hours and Guild Wars 2 for 6k hours.

Guild Wars 2 continues to be my favorite MMO, and like most people on this site, I've played all of the major MMO titles that have come out in the last 12 years. I'm also a "completionist." And GW2 has a shit ton of stuff to go for do/collect.

I've been playing it since its very first closed beta, and seen all of its development. I guess one of the bigger reasons why I stick with it, is because I'm just very good at the game and understand and play everything the game has to offer. I've also set up a bunch of different goals for myself to keep myself playing. Like getting 30k achievement points, getting every single legendary weapon in the game, legendary armor on all characters, unlocking the legendary world vs world backpiece, and more.

For fun to challenge myself I solo group content. Solo or duo dungeons and fractals. Roam world vs world solo or with a zerg. I don't spvp as much as I used too.

Point is, I was able to find my fun and I understand the game in its entirety. GW2 is an amazing game. If anything, I'd rather people give me examples of other MMO's they play and tell me what I don't already know about each and every one of those games. I've played them all. Not saying they are horrible but I completely understand we all got different tastes.
    pantaro

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    jircris said:

jircris said:

Because I wanted to? As well as roleplay reasons

Just wondering lol, I don't RP so I wanted to know if there were other reasons people are rolling extra characters. I mean, I guess there are birthday boosters and things like that too, that you only get per character.  

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    jircris said:
    GW2 must not be THAT good if you've tried out 80+ MMOs in less than 4 months. Sounds to me like you've grown quite bored of it too. 
    --------------------------------------------
    jircris said:
    GW2 must not be THAT good if you've tried out 80+ MMOs in less than 4 months. Sounds to me like you've grown quite bored of it too. 
    Or perhaps he's looking for a secondary MMO that fills in a different role?

I know from my experience that I do not care for PvP or WvW in Guild Wars 2. So while it serves as my PvE MMO of choice, I am looking for a quality Realm vs. Realm title and have yet to find one that satisfies me in that regard.
    anthonyw.gray
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I fell in love with GW2 from the manifesto video. Then I played it, and realized they sorta lied and I was naive for falling for it.

I stopped playing after I realized:

• I wasn't a fan of the combat style (it wasn't a great representation of action combat)
    • I picked a class AND damage style Anet hated (Condition Engineer)
    • I hated the culling and it wasn't going to change
    • I hated the battle effects drowning out the entire screen and they were not going to change it
    • I hated the Legendary requirements and when they decided to add gear treadmill on top of  that experience
    • I hated what fractals did to ecosystem
    • I was always disappointed in the cut scenes
    • I absolutely hated the undead areas
    • Living Stories were GAR-BAGE
    All those things outweighed the good that GW2 did do, and the updates never made me feel like trying it again in fact they seemed more like gates.
    Condi Engineer is one of the top damage dealers out there, it's even good in PvP if played right. 

Battle effects only drown out the screen in very large scale battles in most cases. But I guess it depends on where your threshold is on effects

Fractals didn't change the ecosystem much, a lot of the pieces for ascended gear have gone down in cost,  but that's primarily because, now they have legendary armor... so... thank raids for that. 

The rest are more personal preferences.
    Condition Engineer was a joke when I played because of the cap they put on conditions. I don't know when they changed anything but it wasn't during the couple years I hung on waiting to see if they'd fix anything. 

Battle effects drowned out the screen during any event. It was a noted problem during beta. I don't know if they ever fixed it.

Fractals did change the ecosystem. It turned Lions Arch into a ghost town (before they went on to actually kill it) and everyone absolutely stopped running the other dungeons. It added vertical gear progression and walked back a key promise from the manifesto days.

All of my points are from my personal perspective thus the word "I" preceding them. I regret I will have to pass you an additional WTF.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    GW2 is everything that I hate about MMOs.
    postlarvalanthonyw.gray[Deleted User]pantaro
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited April 2018
    I can relate to it taking time sometimes for an MMO to click with you.

GW2 is really a great MMO. As far as a world which feels "alive", it's the best out there, for many of the reasons you outline. The downside is that it really does have a limited life. I was into it for a long time, and I think it has a lot more endgame longevity than some people think (this coming from someone used to raid in WoW, Rift, etc. extensively for years). But... in the end, the gear being capped at Ascended make things finite. One can only strive for cosmetics for so long before losing interest.

Anyway, for most players, I think there's a good 1-2 years of endgame play.
    anthonyw.gray
  • anthonyw.grayanthonyw.gray Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited April 2018

I fell in love with GW2 from the manifesto video. Then I played it, and realized they sorta lied and I was naive for falling for it.

• I wasn't a fan of the combat style (it wasn't a great representation of action combat)
    • I hated the battle effects drowning out the entire screen and they were not going to change it
    • I hated the Legendary requirements and when they decided to add gear treadmill on top of  that experience
    All those things outweighed the good that GW2 did do, and the updates never made me feel like trying it again in fact they seemed more like gates.

Condi Engineer is one of the top damage dealers out there, it's even good in PvP if played right. 

Battle effects only drown out the screen in very large scale battles in most cases. But I guess it depends on where your threshold is on effects

Fractals didn't change the ecosystem much, a lot of the pieces for ascended gear have gone down in cost,  but that's primarily because, now they have legendary armor... so... thank raids for that. 

Condition Engineer was a joke when I played because of the cap they put on conditions. I don't know when they changed anything but it wasn't during the couple years I hung on waiting to see if they'd fix anything. 

Battle effects drowned out the screen during any event. It was a noted problem during beta. I don't know if they ever fixed it.

Fractals did change the ecosystem. It turned Lions Arch into a ghost town (before they went on to actually kill it) and everyone absolutely stopped running the other dungeons. It added vertical gear progression and walked back a key promise from the manifesto days.

All of my points are from my personal perspective thus the word "I" preceding them. I regret I will have to pass you an additional WTF.

Oh I get it now. Your personal perspective is outdated AF. Now all the nonsense your spitting makes sense!

Your complaint on engineer is irrelevant now. DoTs have been reworked for years. Seriously, it's been years.

Don't know what to tell you about effects. Lower your settings?

Your complaint on fractals is irrelevant as well. People are still running dungeons and fractals.

They added ascended gear back in 2012, how are people still crying about this? We haven't seen a gear increase since, and ascended isn't even a requirement to complete anything in the game, besides needing agony resistance in Fractals. It's mainly there for the try hards and the min-maxers. Go play FF14 or any other gear treadmill based game and get back to me on how fast your gear becomes yesterday's news.
    FlyByKnightpantaroAeander
    edited April 2018

gelraen said:

I can relate to it taking time sometimes for an MMO to click with you.

GW2 is really a great MMO. As far as a world which feels "alive", it's the best out there, for many of the reasons you outline. The downside is that it really does have a limited life. I was into it for a long time, and I think it has a lot more endgame longevity than some people think (this coming from someone used to raid in WoW, Rift, etc. extensively for years). But... in the end, the gear being capped at Ascended make things finite. One can only strive for cosmetics for so long before losing interest.

Anyway, for most players, I think there's a good 1-2 years of endgame play.

Well, the way I see it is it's a lose/lose situation either way. You either have horizontal progression system or a gear treadmill. A Horizontal system ultimately becomes stale because most people want to see their toons grow in stats. Gear treadmills give people that sense of growth but many people get tried of the chase, gear becoming outdated with every new update.
    edited April 2018

Oh I get it now. Your personal perspective is outdated AF. Now all the nonsense your spitting makes sense!

Your complaint on engineer is irrelevant now. DoTs have been reworked for years. Seriously, it's been years.

Your complaint on fractals is irrelevant as well. People are still running dungeons and fractals.

They added ascended gear back in 2012, how are people still crying about this? We haven't seen a gear increase since, and ascended isn't even a requirement to complete anything in the game, besides needing agony resistance in Fractals. It's mainly there for the try hards and the min-maxers. Go play FF14 or any other gear treadmill based game and get back to me on how fast your gear becomes yesterday's news.

"So gentleman as you can see, after years of studying this quite complex equation I have solved that @FlyByKnight originally said that when he originally played the game these are the faults that caused him to stop playing and wasn't compelled to return by any of the updates!  Please be sure to spell my name properly in the history books. Thats M-o-r-o-n, thank you." -Anthony W. Gray
    pantarokitarad
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I really wanted to like GW2...it looked like a good match for me but it sure wasn't..... I kept reading how it had all this great big world and all this exploration but I never really saw that...All I ever found was just more quest areas....The public events were way too common and it just felt like another quest grinder to max level so I moved on.
    I really wanted to like GW2...it looked like a good match for me but it sure wasn't..... I kept reading how it had all this great big world and all this exploration but I never really saw that...All I ever found was just more quest areas....The public events were way too common and it just felt like another quest grinder to max level so I moved on.
    The exploration in GW2 was sort of awesome. Especially when seeing the game for the first time. Folks finding hidden jump puzzles in the side of a mountain or some weird area.

If they ever figured out how to sew all those map locations together without loading screens, that would be pretty incredible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Yeah, after the condition rework a few years back, it became chaotic.  Then they tried to rebalance that by putting too many condition cleanses out, which invalidated conditions in PvP.  They have kind of an okay balance now, you still see the off hand burn guard or "burn engi" in PvP. 

In PvE you can get quite a few stacks, but I still feel like turret engi has been forgotten, despite some upgrades over the past year or so. 

Some of the time the battle effects can drown out what's going on, but in large groups, it isn't even the effects that bother me, it's just that, large groups, you can't see a damn thing even if the effects were turned off. Everyone is grouped so tightly on top of one another, it kind of trivializes large scale battles.

Fractals were reworked some time back too, now you have shorter fractals, and it doesn't require as much time to get into them, they made them somewhat casual friendly.  

I wasn't saying that your opinions are invalidated, I was correcting what you mentioned as issues before that have been fixed, or particular problems, such as the visuals, that would be problems in any game with large scale battles with over 50 people in an area at any given time. 

edited April 2018

"So gentleman as you can see, after years of studying this quite complex equation I have solved that @FlyByKnight originally said that when he originally played the game these are the faults that caused him to stop playing and wasn't compelled to return by any of the updates!  Please be sure to spell my name properly in the history books. Thats M-o-r-o-n, thank you." -Anthony W. Gray

Cool story, but are you stupid? Do you have anything of substance? No? Then gtfo with that noise. He never felt like coming back? That's not my issue, and honestly sounds like a personal problem. This idiot has complaints that have been worked on/changed in the last 2+ years, and I'm suppose to take his nonsense seriously? Please. People want to constantly run their mouths on shit they know next to nothing about.
    ThupliChills05