Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Sales! + Game Sales! = Game Backlogs

2»

Comments

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Aethaeryn said:
    I've stopped buying new games for a bit. I don't have enough time to keep up. And with our first kid OTW, I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

I bought Witcher 3 about a year after it launched, and still haven't finished it yet. I also have Kingdom Come Deliverance, but have only played through the prologue. Not to mention about 20 other games on steam that I have yet to either play or complete.

On top of that, I have 5 MMORPG's on deck that I've KickStarted, which haven't launch yet.

I also have the Nintendo Classic Mini and the Super Nintendo Mini, which gives me like 55 games I need to play.

Most recently though, I was gifted a Nintendo Switch, so I've been playing BoTW. Then when that's done, I have Mario Odyssey.

So with my backlog and KS frontlog(?), it will be a while here before I buy a new PC game. Unless it's a must have game, but I don't see any of those on the horizon.
    I am in the same position.  I stopped buying or at least am a lot more selective.  I have 347 games on Steam. . a tonne of Humble bundle keys I have not even activated and a wishlist of about 96 which is mostly EA games I am following and mostly will not purchase.  I think I expect to get Pillars of Eternity 2, maybe Farcry 5 for fun, Warhammer II on sale and Divinity Original Sin 2 at some point. . but I won't even buy that one until I finish the first one.

The light bulb went on when I almost burchased D:OS2 and had barely played the first one.  I won't buy it until I do and then it will likely be 80% off or something :)

Divinity Original Sin 2 is a meh at best.

You have the right plan.  If you can't pick it up for pennies, don't pick it up.   
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I have a little bit of a backlog but most of them I thought "meh, they're ok". So not much incentive to necessarily finish.

Still, I've made a vow, with the exception of Skyrim VR, to not buy another single player game until I've finished what I have.

So just finished layers of Fear and now going through the latest tomb raider.

I have to finish that Alien game and Amnesia as well.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    DMKano said:
    I've also said this numerous times before - back in 1998-2003

I played a few games a time - and I still felt like I had LOTS of free time.

Because there was no other online entertainment competing for my online game time - no Netflix, no Amazon Prime, no Youtube etc...

This is huge IMO - this is why those old school games that require you to "no life" all your free time and just play one game are not a good model today.

There's way too many other things that compete with online game time IMO - this is why short session based games today rule the online market, as they are a much better fit for how masses spend their free time.
    But are people asking for "No life" MMOs, or are they asking like I do for something that takes up more time than todays easymode casual MMOs? There are more than two ways of doing this.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Tamanous said:
    I categorize this sort of spending like this:

Person A: Walks by a store having a sale ... walks in and spends $40 on crap. Walks out $40 less than they started but tells everyone how much money they saved.

Person B: Walks by a store having a sale ... keeps on walking because they don't need extra crap. Still has all their money.

I'm person B. I don't buy the crap to begin with. I see crap for what it is: crap. I save my money for quality that lasts a very long time. There isn't a lot of quality in gaming atm.
    You sound my Dad! We'd be watching TV and an ad would be pointing out, "See how much you can SAVE!" He'd say back to the TV, "Think how much you save by NOT even going."
    Cryomatrix

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    AlBQuirky said:
    Tamanous said:
    I categorize this sort of spending like this:

Person A: Walks by a store having a sale ... walks in and spends $40 on crap. Walks out $40 less than they started but tells everyone how much money they saved.

Person B: Walks by a store having a sale ... keeps on walking because they don't need extra crap. Still has all their money.

I'm person B. I don't buy the crap to begin with. I see crap for what it is: crap. I save my money for quality that lasts a very long time. There isn't a lot of quality in gaming atm.
    You sound my Dad! We'd be watching TV and an ad would be pointing out, "See how much you can SAVE!" He'd say back to the TV, "Think how much you save by NOT even going."
    How do you know @Tamanous isn't your father? :flushed:
    AlBQuirky
    --------------------------------------------
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:
    I find the replay-ability of games to be very shallow. If it has a multiplayer element I will always try that usually for quite some time. But once its gone its gone.
    I have to ask... Shallow for the game, or the player?  ;)

I replay RPGs often and good strategy games can be replayed again and again when scenarios differ. 1500+ hours in Morrowind and 2200+ hours in Skyrim. 1000+ hours in Falout 3 and 750+ hours in Fallout: New Vegas. I've played through XCom 2 to multiple endings, and yet have to try an "Ironman" run. I've played lots of hours in Master of Magic and Rail Empires: Iron Dragon, too.

Now heavily written storybook games like Telltale makes, I could never replay. In all honesty, I can't play them through once :)
    The thing is, that first is not a brush though. I will have been everywhere, done everything non conflicting quests allow me to do. In most I have collected every damn thing there is to collect, but not "achievements" which I think are designed more for players like yourself. Done the multiplayer to death and messed around with some mods if possible. I don't find the separate paths in games are really that separate, but each too their own, that's what gaming is about.
    That's cool! RPGs are my kryptonite, though. Each character has a different concept. Many games, I can't do everything in one playthrough, others I try top challenge myself in subsequent tries, like the Iron Dragon railroad game. It has terrible AI and I challenge myself to see fast I can win :)

Many older games were built so that you couldn't do everything in one sitting. The older D&D games that had parties were wonderful yo replay again and again :)

Maybe I'm just "cheaper", trying to get the most for my money by playing games again and again :lol:
    [Deleted User]Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    Just bought Baldur's Gate 2 EE for the second time off of GOG (forgot I had purchased it before :D ), so I'm guilty as hell of having a backlog so large I can't even keep up with what titles I own anymore...
    Wellspring[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyShaigh

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited April 2018
    I'm a bit iffy about BGEE myself.  I like the graphic scaling for instance.  I'm not a big fan of the new videos or NPCs.  I felt the same way about BG1 EE.  At least you own them DRM free and they don't cost very much for the value you may get out of them. 

KOTOR1 could use an EE version on PC.  It would be nice to have widescreen and controller support added.  It was already done for KOTOR2.
    AlBQuirky
    DMKano said:
    I've also said this numerous times before - back in 1998-2003

I played a few games a time - and I still felt like I had LOTS of free time.

Because there was no other online entertainment competing for my online game time - no Netflix, no Amazon Prime, no Youtube etc...

This is huge IMO - this is why those old school games that require you to "no life" all your free time and just play one game are not a good model today.

There's way too many other things that compete with online game time IMO - this is why short session based games today rule the online market, as they are a much better fit for how masses spend their free time.
    This is a great point and I do agree.

"But..." not everyone is in this situation. Some people have the time to give to a demanding game. I realize it won't be a blockbuster hit, but I wonder if it would lose money. Why is there variety in gaming if only one game sells the best of them all?
    [Deleted User]

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• crimedoggcrimedogg Member CommonPosts: 3
    I have hundreds of games in my Steam library that I haven't touched.  I can't seem to resist Humble Bundles.
    AlBQuirky