Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russian IP Blocks Keeping Players from the Games They Love - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Not caring about fellow human beings is what leads to all the ills of the world. When we stop caring, that's when conflict and hatred begins because those people who are remarkably just like us become nothing but statistics and numbers. 

psychosiz1[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2018
    The reason it's not a good idea to talk about politics is because the majority of you are slow wits from Middle America who don't know your own laws, don't care about math, science and fact if it doesn't fit your bubble. Even if you did, most plug their ears and do the ideologue thing.

I'd say staying on topic is the best bet (even though anonymous mediums where you can make ideological rants while falling under site rule protections is your safe space).
    JeffSpicoliKyleran
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Might is Right

Isn't that what its always been about?

We're still fucking monkeys
    SBFord[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    This is unfortunate for the gamers over there. I learned about this a bit earlier from a post from CCP regarding their Russian Eve players. They also instructed Russian players to use a VPN, so I guess it shouldn't be too hard to still game, just with a little bit of delay or lag. 
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Are you guys still talking about Russia not being able to play online video games ? 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    SBFord said:
    Not caring about fellow human beings is what leads to all the ills of the world. 
    Caring for the well-being of others is good and commendable, but caring that people in another country should share the rules, values, customs or beliefs with you will lead to conflict.

And this isn't something that would have much affect on anyone's well-being.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

mmrv said:

SBFord said:

It'd be nice to be able to discuss things without having it turn into the normal bull we face every day just by turning on the TV.

What I learned from the article are the facts of the situation and after reading Ed's work, I feel pretty damned sorry for the people being affected by government intrusion into their gaming and social lives. It's always the innocent bystanders who get shit on by the pissing matches between international politicos.

How about a bit of empathy for fellow travelers in the game worlds you inhabit since this is, you know, a goddamned gaming site? FFS.

Kind of a myopic view point dont you think? I mean we are talking about a rather minor interruption of playing a video game? Sounds like a good time to go outside or take care of some other aspects of your life. you also seemed to forget that this was done in hopes of addressing whatever issues this telegram app was causing what about those poor souls that the telegram app was causing problems for do they not deserve reprieve?

Unfortunately this is a large problem with the progressive liberals of western culture and their entitlement attitude. wut I cant play my video game for 2 weeks? THE HORROR WHAT BARBARISM IS THIS!

So what I got from reading the article i that the problem is acknowledged and is being addressed to hopefully resolve the issue and allow people to resume their fantasy escape 100% unproductive time spent gaming. Aka there is no real issue beyond some minor inconveniences.

I'll be honest you should do a little reflection if your state of mind has you feeling deeply sorry for some people who are unable to access a video game for a few weeks because of "government intrusion". I'll be honest I have yet to see you use your platform to defend and feel sorry for people right here in america who are being denied access to platforms such as twitter and facebook because they have "right leaning"political views and these people are actually being damaged far more by losing sources of income they might rely on for raising their family. Hell here was some dude in Scotland who was arrested and put in jail for goofing around teaching his pug (dog) how to do the nazi salute...now that is truly disgusting and a scary reminder of the dangerous time we are in regarding personal freedom and safety.

Yeah... the difference is that those "right leaning" people you're talking about are being block from private services by those services, not the government. Frankly, Twitter has every right to deny service to anyone they please. They're not here to be a platform for views they disagree with.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

mmrv said:

3dom said:

cheyane said:

I feel sorry for Russian gamers.

cheyane said:

I feel sorry for Russian gamers.

You shouldn't, 76% of them (or their parents) have voted for this president and his government just few weeks ago, they get exactly what they wanted and deserve.

Novel idea mind your own business when it comes to other countries and their cultures you know not what the people there want/need/desire The vocal minority with their agenda do not speak for the majority. Let's be truly honest adults for a moment...and I say this as an avid video gamer, Video games are a unproductive and even destructive force that serves no purpose in society other than wasting what is actually valuable time that could be spent doing useful things. It makes people lazy, its consumes time that otherwise could be spent accruing valuable knowledge/work to make lives better.

My god, dude, why are you even here? And I would challenge your assertion that games are worthless by the fact that you are, in fact, here. Games brought you to a community with shared interests. There's a social benefit in that. Games can be inspirational, therapeutic, or even something as simple as helping you unwind at the end of the day. Just because your time playing a game is "unproductive" is meaningless. People are not meant to be productive 100% of the time.

How about this - every single writer you see posting on this site and countless others has turned their passion *into* something productive. Others have taken their games as a launching point to create their own art or deepen their relationships. So rather than throw stones at games - a group who you certainly "know not what they want/need/desire" - why don't you TURN your interest into something productive?

SBFord[Deleted User]laserit
    And for the record, let's see the government take something from you for "a few weeks" without any realistic rationale or hard line on when it would be returned? Gaming isn't the most important thing in the world, certainly not. At the same time, it's something people enjoy and they have a right to be upset when it's taken without merit. Likewise, as press, we have a right to be concerned when we see censorship without merit.
    SBFord[Deleted User]laserit
  • corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151

SBFord said:

It'd be nice to be able to discuss things without having it turn into the normal bull we face every day just by turning on the TV.

What I learned from the article are the facts of the situation and after reading Ed's work, I feel pretty damned sorry for the people being affected by government intrusion into their gaming and social lives. It's always the innocent bystanders who get shit on by the pissing matches between international politicos.

How about a bit of empathy for fellow travelers in the game worlds you inhabit since this is, you know, a goddamned gaming site? FFS.

Only thing i want to say is, you cant go complain about choices your own goverment makes when the majority of your country have made the choice to elect that person/party during election time, so in my opinion its kinda their own fault in a weird way.
    [Deleted User]
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    corvas said:

SBFord said:

Only thing i want to say is, you cant go complain about choices your own goverment makes when the majority of your country have made the choice to elect that person/party during election time, so in my opinion its kinda their own fault in a weird way.
    Do people watch any news  ?

I don't know if you will watch this or if you can outside of the UK but i will post it anyway.

A name people might want to google or search on Youtube  is Alexei Navalny. 

SBFord
  • AngelvovikAngelvovik Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Dauntless too
    SBFord
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2018
    I don't want to be held accountable for the elected officials where I live, especially with all the gerrymandering abuse, voter suppression, super PACs, and foreign interference that are responsible for their positions.

I don't think that's fair.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

SBFord said:

mmrv said:

The irony of your words on a site 100% dedicated to gaming is not lost on me and, honestly, if you think this is ONLY about gaming, you're wrong. That said, however, we try to keep focus on the generic topic of gaming on MMORPG.com because, guess what? It's a site about gaming.

This is a much, much larger issue than one about gaming, but one we've chosen to angle to our readers without tackling the much bigger elephant in the room that it represents. My personal empathy for the people affected by this goes far, far beyond gaming but I am keeping the spotlight where it correctly belongs given the mission of this site.

I think my post was clear I 100% agree with you if you wish to discuss this issue it is a far large issue than gaming. Like I said right now we have social media megacorps like facebook and twitter controlling the flow of information of hundreds of millions of people censoring those who present information contrary to those companies political agendas. You remain dead silent on that even larger issue while trying to demonize another country and culture you know little about who by trying to control an app that is abused by terror organizations incidentally limited access to gaming for some people.

You have deep sorrow for those losing out on a few weeks of gaming but again I ask what about the people who are victimized by the evil doers using that app? It was clear the government was not trying to implement mass controls over people to prevent tham from gaming it was a unexpected side effect of trying to prevent terrorist activities and this is bad how?
    JeffSpicolivandal5627
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    mmrv said:

SBFord said:

mmrv said:

The irony of your words on a site 100% dedicated to gaming is not lost on me and, honestly, if you think this is ONLY about gaming, you're wrong. That said, however, we try to keep focus on the generic topic of gaming on MMORPG.com because, guess what? It's a site about gaming.

This is a much, much larger issue than one about gaming, but one we've chosen to angle to our readers without tackling the much bigger elephant in the room that it represents. My personal empathy for the people affected by this goes far, far beyond gaming but I am keeping the spotlight where it correctly belongs given the mission of this site.

I think my post was clear I 100% agree with you if you wish to discuss this issue it is a far large issue than gaming. Like I said right now we have social media megacorps like facebook and twitter controlling the flow of information of hundreds of millions of people censoring those who present information contrary to those companies political agendas. You remain dead silent on that even larger issue while trying to demonize another country and culture you know little about who by trying to control an app that is abused by terror organizations incidentally limited access to gaming for some people.

You have deep sorrow for those losing out on a few weeks of gaming but again I ask what about the people who are victimized by the evil doers using that app? It was clear the government was not trying to implement mass controls over people to prevent tham from gaming it was a unexpected side effect of trying to prevent terrorist activities and this is bad how?
    Its called Virtue Signalling 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

Russia don't have a chance, but can you tell me how did US manage to elect Trump? I mean he obviously have IQ that's lower than 90, which makes him unfit to be the cleaning lady in the White House let alone the Head of your country.

He won the usual way, getting more Electoral College votes than his opponent. That, and being born in the U.S., are all that is required.

As such, at the time, the election results shows the majority of voters disagreed with your assessment of Trump, or preferred him over Clinton regardless.

Modern politics is often more about perception than truth, form than substance, charisma than platform. Many of the electorate simply lack the knowledge to make an informed and considered vote, whether by choice or circumstance. Also, many vote based on emotion rather than reason.

The genuine merit of an individual (which is itself often a matter of opinion) can easily get lost in the shuffle such that the impact it has on the election result can be minimal.

Literally my point. Trump got elected on charisma and ignorance on voters side.. That's worse in my eyes and what's more surprising is that he still hasn't been impeached after all the crap around him, yet an outstanding president like Clinton who arguably is among the best presidents got impeached over what every second man in power do when no one is watching ;)

My point is not to judge other people let alone whole countries when people are so misinformed.

Nothing wrong with opinions, but judgement's are a bit...

Btw this is coming from someone who isn't a particular fan to Russia... I don't really like the country for some of the crap it does, but I don't hate the people for the crap those in power do. That's what I'm trying to say.

lol wut? Hillary was an awful candidate, Bill clinton was a sexual predator (100% documented and verfied), while some metrics of his presidency were favorable in a very short term outlook its clear most of them were VERY detrimental long term, he actually was not a very good president. The reason all of america's jobs were moved overseas was because of bill clinton, the reason almost all news media outlets are controlled by 5-6 mega corps now who use their platforms as propaganda machines was because of new law change introduced by bill clinton.

You are entittled to your opinion but to suggest Trump beat Hillary due to ignorance of voters is simply wrong, in fact you could make a far stronger argument the fact he didnt win by an utter epic landslide shows the ignorance if anything. We have immense information now which is verified showing how utterly corrupt hillary and the democratic party have been conducting themselves for the last few years. You can blame the mega media complex that came to exist because of bill clinton for the perception of how trump is some awful person as they spew endless unbased lies to slander him just for example "he hates jews" because of the Clash in SC because he equally condemns both parties for all of their poor behavior "anti semite" yet Trump has unilaterally provided Israel ten times more support than Obama ever did yet not once did the media suggest Obama was an anti semite while he is buddies with louis farakhan (they even suppressed a photo of Obama and Farakhan arm in arm to ensure Obama was elected). Wanna talk about voter ignorance ?? lol.
    [Deleted User]corvasvandal5627
This discussion has been closed.