Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"There are no MMORPGs worth playing anymore" myth or reality?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scot said:
    Having a top notch rig is a must for top notch gaming, it costs too much you say?

Let me ask you this, do you also have a laptop, tablet, top range smartphone, e-reader (inert other gadget you have here)? If you do you need to get your priorities right and just buy a solid rig, gaming comes before all that other nonsense. 

Edit: The first answer on the poll got 19% of people on these forums, so that's 19% of posters who need to visit a doctor. Not too bad I suppose. :)
    Stop dissing laptops....the ones I buy are expensive and are damn near the equal of most any desktop.

Just have to make sure they don't catch my pants on fire.

;)
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Imagine for a moment if after Star Wars was made, everyone was like "That's awesome" and produced nothing but Star Wars rip offs afterword. You go to the movie store and it's like 99% movies that directly ripped their inspiration from Star Wars and only made a few gimmicky tweaks for to it before releasing their "Galaxy Conflict" show.

Would movies have gotten worse? Not strictly speaking no, but because of their failure to innovate they would have become less entertaining.

That's the situation MMO are in right now. 99% of what we have is retakes on the same basic game model. Some of those takes I actually feel are legitimately better than WoW/EQ. But no matter how good you make a WoW clone, I don't care because I'm tired of WoW clones.

So the games aren't worse, but in comparison to the non-stagnant genre we had before it seems worse because these days I perceive all WoW clones (Even very well done WoW clones) as crap. And this view has even made the WoW clones that came before WoW was entirely overdone seen terrible too.
    Sid_Vicious
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Having a top notch rig is a must for top notch gaming, it costs too much you say?

Let me ask you this, do you also have a laptop, tablet, top range smartphone, e-reader (inert other gadget you have here)? If you do you need to get your priorities right and just buy a solid rig, gaming comes before all that other nonsense. 

Edit: The first answer on the poll got 19% of people on these forums, so that's 19% of posters who need to visit a doctor. Not too bad I suppose. :)
    Stop dissing laptops....the ones I buy are expensive and are damn near the equal of most any desktop.

;)
    You still wear pants while using your laptop? 
    anemoKyleranMrMelGibson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited April 2018
    Eldurian said:
    Imagine for a moment if after Star Wars was made, everyone was like "That's awesome" and produced nothing but Star Wars rip offs afterword. You go to the movie store and it's like 99% movies that directly ripped their inspiration from Star Wars and only made a few gimmicky tweaks for to it before releasing their "Galaxy Conflict" show.

Actually, after Star Wars was made there were a lot of rip-offs/knock offs.

"just an fyi".

This one is a must see ...

Image result for Star Crash

edit: Another one? ok fine but only because you asked B)

Turkish Star Wars

Image result for turkish star wars
    Sid_ViciousimmodiumJeffSpicoliMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I'm aware there were Star Wars knock offs but they didn't come to entirely dominate the movie industry. In MMOs EQ/WoW knock offs did come to dominate the industry and that's why I hate them more than my opinion of their quality alone merits at this point.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Eldurian said:
    I'm aware there were Star Wars knock offs but they didn't come to entirely dominate the movie industry. In MMOs EQ/WoW knock offs did come to dominate the industry and that's why I hate them more than my opinion of their quality alone merits at this point.
    True but with Jaws, Star Wars and ET and Close Encounters of the Third kind, the "Summer Blockbuster" was born and then studios jumped on the bandwagon to create the beloved summer moves that we have today ....

craftseeker
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:

Actually, after Star Wars was made there were a lot of rip-offs/knock offs.

"just an fyi".

This one is a must see ...

Image result for Star Crash

edit: Another one? ok fine but only because you asked B)

Turkish Star Wars

Image result for turkish star wars
    MST3Ks starcrash episode A+++
    SovrathRobsolfMrMelGibson

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    PoSmedley said:

Seriously though STO is an awesome game! My main complaint is that most of the players have little to no interest in PVP and I seem to level up wayyyYY too fast and feel like its a waste to spend real life money on a ship when I will try and level and slow as possible but need a new ship just a week later... /sigh definitely could end up spending more money than expected and I think the game could be much better if they didn't make most of their money from simply so many star trek fans buying things just for their looks.

I can honestly say that anyone can advance and hold their own without having to spend a dime. You can also earn free ZEN (one of several forms of in-game currency) very easily.  It's the LOBI that costs real money to acquire some of the rarer items, but these things are not must haves to play and play well. LOBI items are fantastic and they prey on the true Trekkie's desire to have it all, but none of it is NEEDED to play. 

IMHO, STO is one of the best F2P MMO models going and I have personally made some exceptional friends through STO with zero experience of any toxicity in the community. That's just MY experience. They make it possible for you to acquire top level ships, weapons, uniforms, etc., as well as craft all of the same without having to spend any money.

Tanks mang, I will look you up.

What I meant by complaining about people buying "shiny" things is that I feel STO staff has found ways to get paid and fear that it makes them more lazy and lax around improving other areas of the game. In other words, they are not as stressed in making the game better in ways I would like to see it improve because right now it still makes enough money to easily keep it afloat. Its insane how many people in that game have unlocked everything that there is to unlock and any new person trying the game may do the same. That is a pretty decent chunk of change! How much is it...? Probably thousands of dollars per person! They do it for the love of Star Trek mostly. The game is still very unique and one-of-a-kind but when I think of prodding their dev team into more fun content, it may be difficult as they can easily make more money by just adding more mods and making simple changes instead of working harder..

The last mmo I played and stayed with was ff14.  All the ones I still play are SWTOR, FF14, TSW and GW2.  I rotate these games and while I have tried many mmo's over the years, none of the newer ones keep me wanting to play. 
    This game is so confusing to me... reminds me of why I never bought a Super Nintendo growing up or cared for it when I had a Sega Genesis... most people would call me crazy but its simple really and I am so surprised seemingly few people agree with me. Genesis had more adult-oriented games that felt designed for a mature audience and Nintendo seriously lacked that sort of feel. Especially the RPGs which has always been my favorite type of game, if its Nintendo the character is probably going to have some huge overgrown head and look like some cute baby or something while Genesis have more normal looking characters so I feel more immersed. Even the storyline is more for adults... and maybe bloody, etc.

I was pretty excited to check out the good things that I heard about FF14 while I played but sure didn't make it very far because right away some of the characters looked like cabbage patch kids with the dumbest looking elf ears I had ever seen.

I do not understand the appeal to have that kind of cuteness. I would prefer a gnome or halfling in everquest when I think of cute but just the look and the art of some of those MMORPGs is just too much for me to stomach. How does that not bother other people? I do love cute but only if it looks realistic in my mind.

This is why I never tried WoW... just looks too cartoony and fake. WoW is probably categorized as a "fantasy" universe... so why not help me fantasize by making it look real or really cool? Meh, maybe its because I am an artist? Really not a fan of that art though.

The saturation of the genre is the cause of burnout in so many, which is why people can't see that many of the games released over the past 8 years are actually pretty good. 

But MMOs are based around longevity and belonging, and you can't trade one game for another at the drop of a hat. 

I play GW2 right now, and the PvP leaves much to be desired in the way of balance, but I can still tear it up with some of the builds I create.  

But that being said, sometimes, it's okay just to drop a genre and come back to it when you feel in the mood to play it. I do that with sports games every 3 or so years.
    Maybe I could revisit GW2 and find some enjoyment but they had also leaned toward more outrageously cute compared to the first one and I simply hated the PVP gameplay... felt like it was similar to Global Agenda or one of those really bad battlegrounds games where the objective is simply to stand in a certain spot... you know... control points. EwwwwWW totally ruined the game for me. You mean instead of the objective of killing the other team I am supposed to be side-tracked by trying to stand in a circle before they do? There was only one part of the original game that I remember doing that for one part of HA... it made things interesting because there was only one control point and in the center that more than one team had to capture.... GW2 doesn't even have an active regular Random Arena. So disappointed! Since when did everyone decide they wanted easy-mode or whatever? They have PVP but of all the classes I have tried, and I did try A LOT, there really wasn't much opportunity to simply focus on killing other people. They totally dumbed the game down in every way. Its such a crime because the original was outrageously good for PVP!!!

Meh..

MEH...

MEH!!

: /

Don't want to turn this thread into another "whine about how no games are as good as they used to be" thread like the hundreds of others I have read... lol but its true we all know this. When you find the best of the best it NEVER lasts forever... and its extremely hard to accept moving on, especially when hyped about the new thing which turns out to be total crap.... but nobody goes back to populate the once great game do they!? Nope they try to but look around and cry and leave because the population dies.

MMORPGs are quite hurtful in that way. At least with single player games I never ever have to throw them away. Sucks so bad its like someone died or something... so much gone forever or changed in a way in which there is no turning back.

The reason I made this thread was to share though that I am finally excited about MMORPGs again and this last year has been much better than previous years.
    SwampySack

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    Please oh please tell me you at least don't use a touchpad instead of a mouse?

:s

That sounds horrible! You are making me feel spoiled now.

Do you keep the laptop docked and have a few extra monitors hooked up with a gaming keyboard at least? haha jk guess lots of games a laptop is good enough..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:
    True but with Jaws, Star Wars and ET and Close Encounters of the Third kind, the "Summer Blockbuster" was born and then studios jumped on the bandwagon to create the beloved summer moves that we have today ....

But think about that. Star Wars is an epic combination of classical mythology, sci-fi, and elements of fantasy. Jaws was a thriller about a giant sea monster. ET was a heartwarming family film. And I've never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind so I won't comment on it.

But essentially. It's all different, they all offer movie goers very different experiences. MMOs mostly offer the same experience over and over with fairly small variations on it. Not so good for a genre where it's sense of wonder and mystery is supposed to be a primary selling point.
    Sid_Vicious
    Wasn't ET a horror movie though?? haha scared the shit out of my brother. Its eerie to say the least...

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    For me the problem is two fold too many action orientated options which I do poorly in  and too many PvP with no option to not PvP except to not  play. So choices are lousy but older games still are there thankfully for me to play.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited April 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)

Not joking here, I have been asked before by different friends "How do I cool down my laptop". One guy was used a sort of laptop sized arch which his laptop sat on so more heat could dissipate into the air below the arch. Another used ice cubes in cooling bags under a platform of some sort. They could not have it on their lap while gaming because it felt like it was going to burn their legs, one of them did pack in when it overheated.

My answer, a tower is cheaper for the same punch, get yourself a Tower PC before you burn your house down. :)
    cheyane said:
    For me the problem is two fold too many action orientated options which I do poorly in  and too many PvP with no option to not PvP except to not  play. So choices are lousy but older games still are there thankfully for me to play.
    What that crosses off like ArcheAge, EVE and a ton of indie titles? It doesn't seem widespread enough to present a major problem to anyone really unless you get fixated on the tiny of minority of MMOs you can't play if you see that as a problem and ignore the vast majority you can.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The question is silly.  If Jane and Dick are playing the same game and Jane find it worth playing but Dick does not...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited April 2018
    Eldurian said:
    cheyane said:
    What that crosses off like ArcheAge, EVE and a ton of indie titles? It doesn't seem widespread enough to present a major problem to anyone really unless you get fixated on the tiny of minority of MMOs you can't play if you see that as a problem and ignore the vast majority you can.
    Do you play Korean games because I enjoy them and most of them are action orientated with no option to opt out of PvP. Blade and Soul did but the combat in that was too hard.  I wanted to play Ashes of Creation  but it has PvP too I notice. I played BDO which was a great game I enjoyed.

You are looking at things from your perspective from mine the coming games with the exception of Pantheon will be slim pickings for me. Crowfall, Camelot  Unchained are all PvP. I also cannot play first person because I get awful headaches and nausea so although I wanted to play Destiny I could not plus I think the combat is too hard for me in that and it was a first person perspective.

Severely limited as time is passing and I am growing older. I am almost 60 years old.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    There is more to choose from than ever before but the problem here is, almost all of them are bascally clones of world of warcraft. People can only stand playing bascally the same game for so long. Its all the same mostly single player quest hub to quest hub mindlessness till level cap, then a severe lack of stuff to do at lv cap. Just raids don't cut it imo, there needs to be more.

I don't remember the last time I found a mmorpg actually fun, this is mainly because as I said, it just feels like I am playing the same game in a new skin. I'd like a mmorpg that plays a bit liek skyrim, where you level skills by using them and not just magically get your skills each time you level.

I miss the feeling of acomplishment in mmorpgs too, the last one that had this was FF11, I played back when lv cap was 75 and it just felt great to get things done, other mmorpgs don't offer this because for the most part 90% of the game is a complete joke. FF11 had hardship back when I played, you had to rely and get help from others, soloing was bascally a non option so it was one of the more social mmorpgs i've played. Square ruined that though by caving into casuals, the game now has a lv 99 cap and it was turned into mostly a complete joke compared to what it was. I mean you can party with 3 npcs you have to form your own party, which removes alot of the challenge the game used to have with traveling and such.

TL:DR Mmorpgs have been made to be too soloable, too easy, and the endgame raids are mostly pointless because there is no other content to actually use that gear for.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

@Kyleran somehow I always pictured you with 3+ monitors surrounding you... one for watching netflix, one for alt+tabbing between 6 different EVE accounts, and one for MMORPG.com...

: P

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    @Kyleran somehow I always pictured you with 3+ monitors surrounding you... one for watching netflix, one for alt+tabbing between 6 different EVE accounts, and one for MMORPG.com...

He doesn't really like eve, but won't say so.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Siveria said:
    I'd like a mmorpg that plays a bit liek skyrim, where you level skills by using them and not just magically get your skills each time you level.
    You might want to check Conan Exiles releasing next month... for a couple months at least its a lot of fun! Its a bit harsh, but extremely fun building a fort with secret rooms and chests, etc. and raiding other people's homes. Pretty sad when you login to your place robbed but not a big deal if you are clever enough to hide your best loot in spots they never check. The graphics are good like Skyrim but crafting is much funner.

If you don't mind older graphics Darkfall plays more like Morrowind than ESO does in many ways... and there is also Mortal Online for the extreme realism feel.

These games do not have a storyline to follow really though... its purely just interacting with the world and other people. Little to no quests and playing with others makes the world of a difference... definitely can find uses for all of your gear, if you don't lose it first.

Or maybe you will just roll your eyes at those games like most people...

edited April 2018

Well I was very interested in the three monitor gaming laptop Razer was showing around but after the two prototypes were stolen and ebayed over in China last January Razer seems to have lost interest in the project.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/242709-someone-trying-sell-stolen-razer-triple-screen-laptop-prototypes

But you are still very close,  I have Netflix playing on the 60 inch Samsung 4K TV, EVE or some other game in my lap and the Samsung 8 cell phone on the TV table next to me for keeping up on my harbinger duties  

B)

Sid_Vicious

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CnameCname Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Eldurian said:
    For a brief moment when I first saw your statement relating MMOs to Star Wars movies, I misread 'EQ/WoW knock offs' as 'Ewok knock offs'. Must be sublime...

"A game is fun if it is learnable but not trivial" -- Togelius & Schmidhuber

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have zero interest in a pvp mmorpg.I know what it does to ruin the PVE and pve is what i seek anyhow.

If i want to pvp i play fps's games where the design is better suited to pvp and a level playing field "latency aside".
    When i see a game focuses on pvp i know automatically the developer has no money and aims for a CHEAP game build.
    Strategy is VERY low in a rpg pvp game,like VERY low and in MANY likely MOST cases people are using add-ons to gain an edge.
    I pvp straight up,NO addons of any kind,no gear to gain advantage,just my thinking/strat/aim versus yours.

Overweatch is sort of how it should be done,in an arena type map setting however Blizzard seriously has no clue how to do ANY genre properly,so OW becomes an UNBALANCED mess and pvp should NEVER be unbalanced.
    UT99 and Quake is how pvp should be played,ev1 on the same level playing field.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited April 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    Please oh please tell me you at least don't use a touchpad instead of a mouse?

:s

That sounds horrible! You are making me feel spoiled now.

Do you keep the laptop docked and have a few extra monitors hooked up with a gaming keyboard at least? haha jk guess lots of games a laptop is good enough..
    No, I have an end table on my right with a proper gaming mouse and an over priced gaming mouse pad.

I have pondered setting up a 2nd monitor but I'd have to tell the wife the love seat has to go.

Besides, right now I'm able to keep up the illusion that I'm actually paying attention to the TV show and watching it "with her" and I think with multiple monitors my wife wouldn't buy it anymore.

B)
    ScotIselin