Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"There are no MMORPGs worth playing anymore" myth or reality?

Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
Many of us know what it feels like when our favorite game seems to be dying or completely shuts down... this disappointment often leads to looking for a replacement game without finding anything that can replace the gem we had lost and for many active people on this site it leads to the same posts about "waiting for a playable game to come out" again and again... or ranting on how the MMORPG genre is altogether dying.

Why is it so many people often say that there are no good MMORPGs anymore when there are more to choose from now than there had ever been??? As far as population goes, outside of your favorite game has not not steadily increased?

MMORPGs for many of us is kind of like a drug-addiction. A fresh new game that we are into is sort of like a good experience from using a drug for a junkie in many ways. People will use drugs again and again trying to chase a high that was experienced just once... with hope of some chance of having that feeling again but a lot of the time it never comes and is never like that time it was enjoyed the most. Video games especially MMORPGs are much the same way... people often will try dozens of games seeking the sense of wonder they used to feel when they had discovered MMORPGs and keep chasing it like a drug trying to recreate that feeling of awe and wonder.

What kind of confuses me is that many primarily PVE players have the same problems that I often face... trying to find a new game that holds my attention like certain gems have in the past. My problem is that I primarily enjoy open-world FFA PVP games and especially full-loot competitive types. These games require players more than PVE games and there is honestly nothing funner than playing a good PVP game immediately as it launches to be the first at discovering tactics, etc. and becoming famously known for some reason. I love playing a game as it launches, making suggestions in the forums, and seeing my one account improve the game for everyone else... is this the same way for those that focus on PVE games?

Why is it that PVE players are coming to the same conclusions as others as far as running out of games to play goes? Are MMORPGs really all about playing with other people? For me, this is mostly true, but I will play a game that I love even though it is dying in fear that it will be gone forever like so many others.

It seemed that while I was stuck out in the middle of nowhere recently (2014-2016) I had turned to MMORPGs again for my primary source of entertainment but had a very hard time finding an interesting game as the PVP games seemed to have such a low population and none of the PVE games seemed fun enough to hold my interest while nothing new was being launched. I must have tried at least a dozen new MMORPGs for a month or two each, completely giving them a chance (couple new ones at launch such as Archeage, etc.), but something about the games could not hold my interest or give me that exciting sense of wonder and the feeling like Disney Land is tomorrow and I am so excited I am having a hard time sleeping that some games have done.

When 2017 rolled along the new Darkfall launched so I lost some sleep over excitement from that but was a bit disappointed that the games population seemed to die down before I could PVP with my character because I tend to be a slow grinder and was busy promoting the game and trying to figure out how to stream, etc.... but it was still a fun experience like the older days. I also discovered Star Trek Online... and although it was not the first time I had played it, this time around I enjoyed it immensely and regret that I never gave it a fair chance in the past due to the fear of the cash shop and free-to-play style among reading so many horrible reviews of the game from people on here again and again.. even has made me wonder if I would enjoy that Star Wars game that I never had time to try (the newer one that I also heard so many horrible things about). Honestly after experiencing 2017 I felt like I should never give up on finding a new gem that has already been going for many years. I have never even tried WoW because I like EQ's artwork and style much more, then kept finding other things just as interesting, if not more so. Maybe I should give it a fair shot someday? I very much doubt I would enjoy the PVE though or grinding up gear to be compatible for PVP but after my surprise in how much I had loved Star Trek, maybe I will try WoW someday. If I cannot PVP from the beginning I do not see myself lasting very long though... just recently had learned the basics on making videos for youtube and streaming my game so I have enjoyed that some... may venture into places that I thought I would never tread.

Any suggestions on games to stream for PVP that may be new to me?

Right now I am mostly playing Darkfall: New Dawn, Star Trek Online, still look for a fight in random arena in Guild Wars from time to time but its dead, FPS shooter I play is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Magic the Gathering Online is a great game still and will probably always be, about to resubscribe to Darkfall: Rise of Agon, getting ready for Conan Exiles to launch next month (I played the early access and know its good! yay!!!), and looking forward to all of the main focused games in development now to try out.

I have canceled my account for every other main game out there and have tried most everything popular almost besides the cartoony looking ones like the Asian ones or those like WoW with the unrealistic artwork (guy having ridiculously large armor and weapons, for example... I have such a hard time getting past that!). Many of them I did try like Final Fantasy, Rift, and so many others but thought they were so awful... just couldn't keep my interest in them.

I really need a new computer and sometimes wonder if this is the main reason that I feel like there are no new games to play. My machine should be able to handle almost anything so long as I run it with the lowest settings possible but is this also the same reason people are not able to enjoy the newer games? Are you playing MMORPGs because your machine is not good enough to run the latest solo games and FPS of 2018?? I definitely fear that I will absolutely need a new rig to handle Mount and Blade 2 but hopefully its good enough for something like Camelot Unchained or Pantheon with lowest settings...

Thanks for reading... vote and discuss!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

How are things currently for you?
  1. Are there currently any good MMORPGs worth playing?79 votes
    1. Yes, it is better than ever!
      18.99%
    2. Yes, but it is not as good as before Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/473084/the-th
      16.46%
    3. Maybe, I have not tried everything interesting... Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/
        5.06%
    4. No, but something interesting is in development Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/47
      15.19%
    5. No, absolutely nothing like before!
      44.30%

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I don't know all game and i wasn't play all game that current in market (not count the dead one) so i can't say "there are no MMORPGs worth to play" , but most MMORPGs on my radar ether ruined by greed and stupidity or not so good to serious in to them .

Also the value of those MMORPGs depend on the people who play it . difference people have difference time and money invest in game and game value can be change with it .

Sid_ViciouscraftseekerGdemami
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Damn dude you jump beteeen topics like a pin ball machine on crack. From nostalgia, to drug addiction, to pve questions, to group vs solo, to the adrenaline of full loot, to wanting to try WoW, to your hardware problems.... I smell some serious ADD here....

Regardlles, as far as the title of the thread, I would say yes, I'm not playing any MMOs right now.....so I guess there aren't any worth playing for me right now. Great games, like good friends, are rare. when you find one, keep that in mind. 
    Sid_ViciousKylerancraftseekerMrMelGibson
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    After reading this I may come to the conclusion you are burned out of video games. Stop playing for a while, then the "drug" will get you high again. Only my 2 cents. It happens to everyone. Specially players that have decades of gaming.
    Cheers my friend
    PS: Try to not play any game this weekend ;)
    anemoMrMelGibson

Beta tester maniac

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Really since WoW the genre has been mainly "been there done that"...... The difference to me is that the worlds are lamer now....Everything is setup for story and quests and there is zero need to explore anymore.
    OrthelianDauzqulHarikenBlueliner
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Damn dude you jump beteeen topics like a pin ball machine on crack. From nostalgia, to drug addiction, to pve questions, to group vs solo, to the adrenaline of full loot, to wanting to try WoW, to your hardware problems.... I smell some serious ADD here....

Regardlles, as far as the title of the thread, I would say yes, I'm not playing any MMOs right now.....so I guess there aren't any worth playing for me right now. Great games, like good friends, are rare. when you find one, keep that in mind. 
    hahaha yeah guess you are right... quite a bit to read but I wonder how many other people who are active in here as much as me are in the same boat or what their stories are.

Are you waiting for one of those in development or plan on visiting any games already out?

Why aren't you playing any games??

The main reason this post is so long is because I wanted to share my experience of having a few very bad years and then started to have some fun again that I have not felt since I first got into these types of games... I am pretty excited for Conan Exiles to launch... learning how to stream and make youtube videos sure made my experience funner but I am hardly an active player compared to many others... seriously its only been about 10-20 hours a week tops this past month. I have been very busy learning computer stuff.. and new to the whole streaming/youtube thing.... the marketing/networking lessons that I have learned have been very good! I will use them for the rest of my life, I am sure... pretty awesome skills to learn alongside gaming. I could use them in the future to help me with any job really since computers are so important these days.
    iixviiiix said:
    I don't know all game and i wasn't play all game that current in market (not count the dead one) so i can't say "there are no MMORPGs worth to play" , but most MMORPGs on my radar ether ruined by greed and stupidity or not so good to serious in to them .

Also the value of those MMORPGs depend on the people who play it . difference people have difference time and money invest in game and game value can be change with it .

I can never understand this... why players are willing to put in the amount of time that they do into a game but do not take advantage of what they have to make the most of it... and why the developers seem to care less for their game(s) than many of their fans.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Really since WoW the genre has been mainly "been there done that"...... The difference to me is that the worlds are lamer now....Everything is setup for story and quests and there is zero need to explore anymore.
    There are so many games outside of WoW though... I would hate to play only the most popular games as it is those that are the most similar to one another. There are quite a few gems that can be found by digging... and for someone new, it could be a really cool experience, even if a game doesn't have many people on it...

Sure wish Vanguard was still around. I would seriously drop everything else and focus on that primarily if they relaunched it again with an expansion or something...
    berlight said:
    After reading this I may come to the conclusion you are burned out of video games. Stop playing for a while, then the "drug" will get you high again. Only my 2 cents. It happens to everyone. Specially players that have decades of gaming.
    Cheers my friend
    PS: Try to not play any game this weekend ;)
    I have seriously had a lot of fun this last year... few years before that were quite dull though.

Learning how to stream, making youtube vids, and working on other real life things has really limited the amount of time I have to play though so is kind of sad that I cannot grind. I do feel I am kind of missing out as I am really not playing all that much. Sure had a lot of fun with the launch of New Dawn though and I am really excited for Conan Exiles to be released next month!

Back in 2014-2015 was the most boring years it seems like... most fun I had was in Guild Wars random arena but it was totally dead... Darkfall Unholy Wars was pretty relaxing but game was not populated enough and I didn't want to grind out an endgame character so kind of gave up on the PVP... with a game like Darkfall its too frustrating playing catch-up while the server is totally dead. They didn't have the meditation off-line skill gains that they have now.

• PoSmedleyPoSmedley Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Fantastic article. I can relate to so much of it. I have to disagree with folks that would call this 'burn-out', though. I think we end up looking for other games because some games don't survive and/or that we enjoy the genre so much we're looking for that next gem. I've tried the single-player games and have had a more difficult time finding one that held my interest in that category. I tried Bio-Shock, Overlord, and some smaller scale games like Ori and such, but missed sharing the gameplay and rpg with other players.

As for MMO's, my first was STO. Since then I have gotten into GW2, Wildstar, Riders of Icarus, and have tried a few of the ones you mentioned like Rift. I think that there is a great diversity of MMO's; enough that anyone could find something they found interesting. Lately I have branched off into MOBA style MMO's like Prime World and Panzar, looking for a different spin on all of it.

It can be as fun as it can be frustrating testing, trying, and looking for the next game that will really ignite your desire to play into the wee hours of the morning.

I'd like to see a follow up to this article in a few months, perhaps more than one, to see where you and other people are at. There are so many new games coming out all the time, I think it would be interesting.

Sid_Vicious
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited April 2018

hahaha yeah guess you are right... quite a bit to read but I wonder how many other people who are active in here as much as me are in the same boat or what their stories are.

Are you waiting for one of those in development or plan on visiting any games already out?

Why aren't you playing any games??

there is nothing coming out i'm really excited about. yea Conan Exhiles was promising...alas, it didn't really grab me. felt rehashed and a copy paste of all other survival themed private server games.
    i have also played my share of full loot mmos, and i now find most "non full loot" game very tame and lacking in comparison. the level of adrenaline, and excitement you get from a full loot pvp mmo is simply hard to replicate. while i have played DF on and off, a bit of Eve, Dayz, my main pvp game was MO for many years. sadly, that game, much like DF, has been on life support for years now. 

i'm currently playing mobas for a quick team based pvp fix, with the odd survival arena game (PUBG, Fortnite) when i feel like playing solo pvp. i'm not really crazy about any of them, but it scratches the itch for now. 

like i said, no mmos on the horizon for me. all the ones i have tried in the last 5 years have felt boring, repetitive, lackluster, soulless.... same old shit, different skins. i just get bored and stop logging in. 

it's totally normal to have mmo "burnout", stop playing and get withdrawals, and then become nostalgic about your favorite old games. anything that is fun, becomes addictive. like some others here have said, take a break. get out of the mmo scene for a bit. something good will come out eventually.  

Sid_ViciousMrMelGibson
    PoSmedley said:
    Fantastic article. I can relate to so much of it. I have to disagree with folks that would call this 'burn-out', though. I think we end up looking for other games because some games don't survive and/or that we enjoy the genre so much we're looking for that next gem. I've tried the single-player games and have had a more difficult time finding one that held my interest in that category. I tried Bio-Shock, Overlord, and some smaller scale games like Ori and such, but missed sharing the gameplay and rpg with other players.

As for MMO's, my first was STO. Since then I have gotten into GW2, Wildstar, Riders of Icarus, and have tried a few of the ones you mentioned like Rift. I think that there is a great diversity of MMO's; enough that anyone could find something they found interesting. Lately I have branched off into MOBA style MMO's like Prime World and Panzar, looking for a different spin on all of it.

It can be as fun as it can be frustrating testing, trying, and looking for the next game that will really ignite your desire to play into the wee hours of the morning.

I'd like to see a follow up to this article in a few months, perhaps more than one, to see where you and other people are at. There are so many new games coming out all the time, I think it would be interesting.

You know a lot of how I decide which game I should try next comes from word of mouth... and watching gameplay videos (of course) or simply because the game is launching and has noob PVP in some way. Its a shame that I never gave Star Trek Online a fair chance but when it came out I was pretty satisfied with what I was playing at the time... since it did not have nooby PVP really I lost interest pretty fast though. I was not expecting to get really into it recently when I had revisited and almost all of the reasoning behind that was because of all the poor things said about it on this site or other gaming sites!

Seriously though STO is an awesome game! My main complaint is that most of the players have little to no interest in PVP and I seem to level up wayyyYY too fast and feel like its a waste to spend real life money on a ship when I will try and level and slow as possible but need a new ship just a week later... /sigh definitely could end up spending more money than expected and I think the game could be much better if they didn't make most of their money from simply so many star trek fans buying things just for their looks. It is one of the very few games that I have gotten totally into reading all of the quests without caring about anything else but the story. Kind of reminds me of the old everquest days, but part of that is because I am a huge star trek fan. Still though its a shame how much people hate on games on these forums and other forums... honestly I think it decreases the value and fun that MMORPGs have to offer... word of mouth is so important! STO could be one of the funnest PVP games right now if the players simply had interest in keeping it going. Its a shame really, because the ship combat is a hell of a lot of fun.

Think about it this way... if watching Return of the Jedi was a few month investment how many people would have done it with all of the complaining about how stupid the Ewoks are or whatever? What if whenever people tried to look it up they just saw nothing but complaints about it?? This is definitely a problem MMORPGs have today.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    1) It's a huge myth as your OP infers.

2) The first step is admitting you are powerless over your addiction

3) Vendetta Online has been kind to me the past 14 years
    Sid_Vicious

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    PvP games are suffering from a reality that there are more PvP game options than ever before.  For players looking for fair fights they have tons of class based shooters like Overwatch/clones, if they're looking for games that have unfair points in them the have tons of LoL/Dota-a-likes to choose from, if they need leveling mechanics they have 4 to 8 FPS yearly releases to choose from, if they want loot they have a huge wave of battle royale games.   Compared to the dawn of MMOs where if you wanted a non-rts game you had MMOs to choose from.

That being said there are a few really awesome games:

Screeps: downright the most balanced and interesting FFA MMO that I've played (that replaces my return to EVE time).   Pretty much actual RTS mechanics played at MMO scale (300 to 1000 player servers with travel between them), with RPG mechanics to stop unlimited growth and allow interesting abilities.  The downside is that skill gap of being an AI programming game.

Haven and Hearth: an outstanding crafting game, that is played in an environment that has brutal but rare permadeath full loot PvP.

Worlds Adrift: combine the game loops of Space Engineers ship building ,  rust a like PvP mechanics,  actual MMO scale, and toss in a bunch player made islands.   And you end up with a good mish mash of mechanics you can't get anywhere else.  Though in a condition where you better research its problems, because there are enough.

There are a bunch of games here that I pass up, since I know I won't like them (Darkfall, and similar mushed together games)...  That I personally hold a strong opinion of "if you can't find a game, it's a 'you' problem and not a 'game' problem".

Sid_Vicious

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

2) The first step is admitting you are powerless over your addiction
    roflcopter : D

I'm going to have to look into that game further... looks like my sort of thing.

:D 
    Phaserlight

anemo said:
    PvP games are suffering from a reality that there are more PvP game options than ever before.  For players looking for fair fights they have tons of class based shooters like Overwatch/clones, if they're looking for games that have unfair points in them the have tons of LoL/Dota-a-likes to choose from, if they need leveling mechanics they have 4 to 8 FPS yearly releases to choose from, if they want loot they have a huge wave of battle royale games.   Compared to the dawn of MMOs where if you wanted a non-rts game you had MMOs to choose from.

That being said there are a few really awesome games:

Screeps: downright the most balanced and interesting FFA MMO that I've played (that replaces my return to EVE time).   Pretty much actual RTS mechanics played at MMO scale (300 to 1000 player servers with travel between them), with RPG mechanics to stop unlimited growth and allow interesting abilities.  The downside is that skill gap of being an AI programming game.

Haven and Hearth: an outstanding crafting game, that is played in an environment that has brutal but rare permadeath full loot PvP.

Worlds Adrift: combine the game loops of Space Engineers ship building ,  rust a like PvP mechanics,  actual MMO scale, and toss in a bunch player made islands.   And you end up with a good mish mash of mechanics you can't get anywhere else.  Though in a condition where you better research its problems, because there are enough.

There are a bunch of games here that I pass up, since I know I won't like them (Darkfall, and similar mushed together games)...  That I personally hold a strong opinion of "if you can't find a game, it's a 'you' problem and not a 'game' problem".

That is so true... there are so many games now its insane... and to think of what had happened which caused the Atari crash seems to be what is happening to the MMORPG market... simply put there are too many games and so many people that DO have the time to play them do not have the money so end up having to choose just one game (that maybe they wouldn't like nearly as much as others) or worse... limited to playing a "free" game. It doesn't surprise me at all that there is so little in the works for the future of MMORPGs. We saw what had happened to vanguard and many other games would have been the funnest game ever if they simply had the numbers and funds.... and most important... TIME.

Never even heard of screeps!? This is off-topic but how long does it take to get into the PVP for the games you peeps are mentioning?? Does it take months of investment to really experience it?

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The last mmo I played and stayed with was ff14.  All the ones I still play are SWTOR, FF14, TSW and GW2.  I rotate these games and while I have tried many mmo's over the years, none of the newer ones keep me wanting to play. 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    edited April 2018
    It seems most mmo's do a couple things right and everything else wrong like SWTOR-great story, good combat, great sound effects, bad everything else. SWL great story and puzzles, interesting environment, bad everything else. STO fun ship combat, good story, bad everything else. Other games are simply mediocre in everything they do like ESO, WOW, etc. That is why it is hard to stay with one mmo for a long time and most people have a stable of mmo's which they turn to when they get bored. So yes I think it is a reality that their are no Great mmo's anymore, just mmo
    s that do a few things right and everything else bad or mediocte mmo's. As an mmoer I think you have to put blinders on-concentrate on the things you like and ignore the rest.
    Sid_Vicious
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited April 2018
    I like open world games.  But I don't play them in cases where "it's what you do when you log in".

In Sceeps I have like 400 hours in and have been attacked a handful of times,  and have attacked like a dozen.  Though that play time is misleading since you're logged in 24/7, and a lot of it was verification of code working while I doing something else.

Haven and Hearth I've never been attacked or been attacked in over 200 hours of gameplay. 

For Worlds Adrift in 20 hours I've survived 6 attacks and was sunk by a 7th (have almost 200 total, but those 20 are referring to the recent reset).  And passed up a dozen chances to attack someone myself (did trade and talk with some of them).  So it's your best bet for a game where "you log in for the pew pew pew".  It also all starts at hour 0, leveling doesn't improve your character at all, instead it changes what you can improve on your built ship/base/home/hunting-platform.   Which means in 5 mins in you can contribute to a crew since you can use their built things with no limit (while you gather exp/knowledge wherever the crew goes, again without limits).

edit: some rough grammar from cellphone typing
    Post edited by anemo on
    Sid_Vicious

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    There are plenty of MMO's still worth playing, Unfortunately iv tried them all
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I stopped playing MMORPGs at the end of 2016, but hey, it was a good 15 year run.

I did try Runescape earlier this year, found it almost overwheming at how much you could do, but could not figure out why I would want to do any of it. (Also the controls just killed me)

Lately I have been logging nto EVE almost daily, checking the recruiting forums, but again, nothing really of interest appeals, perhaps I really am done with it after all.

I do own Elite Dangerous, perhaps its time to give it a try.

Between changes in my tastes and changes in MMORPG game designs most of what has been released the past 10 years has no appeal to me.

So while there are hundreds of MMOs out there, for me, theres nothing to play.

;)

SwampySackSevalaCecropiaMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This is why I dont play MMORPGS anymore.   The genera has sucked since WOTLK when the games became more streamlined and made for everyone so companies can make stock holders money.   I would rather go fishing and live life than play todays MMORPGS.

I am waiting for Ashes of Creation and Classic WOW though.   These are games that I would be more that interested in getting into.  Todays MMORPGs are just crap.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    For Some: It's a Myth.
    For Some: It's a Reality.
    KyleranArglebargleMadFrenchie
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2018
    Having a top notch rig is a must for top notch gaming, it costs too much you say?

Let me ask you this, do you also have a laptop, tablet, top range smartphone, e-reader (inert other gadget you have here)? If you do you need to get your priorities right and just buy a solid rig, gaming comes before all that other nonsense. 

Edit: The first answer on the poll got 19% of people on these forums, so that's 19% of posters who need to visit a doctor. Not too bad I suppose. :)
    Sid_Vicious
  • PoSmedleyPoSmedley Member UncommonPosts: 5

Seriously though STO is an awesome game! My main complaint is that most of the players have little to no interest in PVP and I seem to level up wayyyYY too fast and feel like its a waste to spend real life money on a ship when I will try and level and slow as possible but need a new ship just a week later... /sigh definitely could end up spending more money than expected and I think the game could be much better if they didn't make most of their money from simply so many star trek fans buying things just for their looks.

STO used to be very heavy into PVP in both ground and space. I don't think I ever enjoyed PVP as much as I have with STO, particularly in the past. They really need to revive/refresh the PVP experience. I have to agree, you level WAY to fast. It needs to be slowed down. As for spending money, I started playing when it was P2P and continued when it went F2P. I became disabled around the same time, so I no longer had the funds to put into the game. I can honestly say that anyone can advance and hold their own without having to spend a dime. You can also earn free ZEN (one of several forms of in-game currency) very easily.  It's the LOBI that costs real money to acquire some of the rarer items, but these things are not must haves to play and play well. LOBI items are fantastic and they prey on the true Trekkie's desire to have it all, but none of it is NEEDED to play. 

IMHO, STO is one of the best F2P MMO models going and I have personally made some exceptional friends through STO with zero experience of any toxicity in the community. That's just MY experience. They make it possible for you to acquire top level ships, weapons, uniforms, etc., as well as craft all of the same without having to spend any money.

I play as PoZmedley in STO. Feel free to add me as a friend. Always looking for someone to do some ground PVP with or help people through missions so they can get whatever special item is being offered up again that they may have missed out on before. I promise I didn't intend for this to be a push to get people to play STO, but I'll offer one final piece of advice to make the experience as fun as possible...Find/join or start a Fleet. You get access to some great items, ships, weapons, etc, just by being in a Fleet, and again, without spending any money.

Sid_Vicious
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    We have more MMOs to pick from now than ever before, yes you can argue that they suck, but in reality, how can any of todays MMO even come close to that very first feeling you had when logging into a MMO for the first time back in the day.

Sure I had a blast when playing EQ at launch, due to It was so different from the other games I have played at that time, would I play such a game today?, HELL NO, it sucks compare to the wide variation of MMOs we have to pick from.

So yes I'm gonna go with the cliche......rose colored glasses.  
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The saturation of the genre is the cause of burnout in so many, which is why people can't see that many of the games released over the past 8 years are actually pretty good. 

But MMOs are based around longevity and belonging, and you can't trade one game for another at the drop of a hat. 

I play GW2 right now, and the PvP leaves much to be desired in the way of balance, but I can still tear it up with some of the builds I create.  

But that being said, sometimes, it's okay just to drop a genre and come back to it when you feel in the mood to play it. I do that with sports games every 3 or so years.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This will always be a subjective topic. 10+ years also deals with a generation divide. You have those who originally played somewhere in the EQ/FFXI/WoW days that see spending weeks/month reaching cap as "good" (I'm kind of in the boat depending) and then you have those that see taking a week to hit cap as taking "too long" (oddly enough all 3 of those games still exist and have conformed over time to suit the market in order to survive for as long as they have). Plus something just as important is competition. When older titles first launched, they was little to no competition compared to now, plus there was always a barrier to entry (most games had a base fee plus sub back then), where as now people are seeing free titles release every week (or even every day). I mean, right now the fixation seems to be on Battle Royale games, a few years before that it feel like it was on ARPGs and before that it felt like it was a Moba fixation. Personally, I would love to see there be a happy-medium between the "earning" of the past and the "convenience" to do things of today, alas it feels like every game ultimately boils down to the same concept of making the barrier easier for people to jump in at any point while also trying to maximize profits at the cost of quality. Its like the number 1 comment I see about what "FFXIV" is good is because its "updated regularly" but if people even bothered to read forums around update time, people are sitting there every update with nothing to do within a week of said update. Quantity does not always mean quality. But at least FFXIV's cash shop is being updated monthly like clock work (with even an update with a "main" feature of how you pay the company more for features that should have been given when expansions released, I'm talking about their controversial app feature, with a premium option).