Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Hero fans, talk to me...

2»

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited April 2018
    Marvel needs a proper MMO in my opinion. Iv been pretty addicted to that new mobile game .
    DabOnThemTruvidien88
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    kitarad said:
    Here's the thing if you have played all the games you mentioned you would not place City of Heroes/Villains in the same  league. City of X is far superior in every way.

I have, and I agree. CoX was in a league of its own. Nothing since has come close.

Mastermind is hands down the best pet class of any MMO, in any genre.

Scot

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    kitarad said:
    Here's the thing if you have played all the games you mentioned you would not place City of Heroes/Villains in the same  league. City of X is far superior in every way.

I have, and I agree. CoX was in a league of its own. Nothing since has come close.

Agreed no game has ever made a class like the mastermind. In fact a lot of the archetypes in City of X was never seen again in other games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Scot said:
    Po_gg said:
    Phry, kitarad, Scot, and CoH was better, superior and well done MMO...

Just to add a different voice for the fun's sake ( :wink: ) I think it wasn't better than CO. Personally I left CoH as soon as CO went up, and only returned to CoH years later, for the last 8-10 months of it.

Both were great, with pros and cons on different areas. For me CO is better with character building (both cosmetically and the powers with Freeform), the cel-shade looks great, zone size and exploration, better and more fun travel powers, more focus on the story, and a step closed to the regular MMO gameplay which was convenient.
    CoH on the other hand was a bit more unique which was fun, had a more flexible sidekick mechanic, had day jobs, great villain archetypes, more detailed crafting, and of course the biggest advantage over CO, the Architect.
    (I still to this day find it stupid that they haven't put Foundry in CO...)

I guess that is what OP seeks with
    DabOnThem said:
    Why do former City of Hero players tend to pass on these games [...]
    CO is quite different from CoH, and some changes simply don't go well with CoH players. Maybe the change I've heard the most was the step towards the regular themepark formulae. When it switched to f2p and I tried to invite over a few friends for trying it out (CoH was still a sub game by that time, it switched to Freedom several months later), and one of them said it's like a superhero wow clone :smiley:

The other often missed difference is the lack of CoV, that you can't play a villain. At least with CO, in DCUO there's a villain side, but it has other issues, for a start it is an action game, with more pvp and much less customization compared to CoH. While CO is from the same team and at least in parts feels familiar for a CoH player, DCUO is a totally different game.
    That "CoX was better in every way" than others, it's just not true.

CO does have a better costume creator.  DCUO has way better graphics, and while the combat system is more a preference thing, DCUO is the only superhero game where PvP isn't a complete and horrible mess.  There's at least some semblance of balance, and no other hero game comes even remotely close in that regard. 

DCUO also had way better storylines. 

CoX did create some really great experiences. The class system was generally better.  

Nostalgia is a big part of it, I mean we're looking back on a game from a decade and a half ago, one that struggled to keep up with content and updates even then.  It's like wanting to bring back vanguard and SWG, they were great games, but even games people consider "terrible" these days still do several things better than those old ones. 

Can someone put this super-villain in prison for me, my cape is in the wash. :)

You are talking about this being about nostalgia yet the games you compare CoX to are not exactly shiny and new. Release dates being CoX 2004, CO 2009 and DCUO 20011. I would think people would be nostalgic about the other too as well?
    Every super hero game has issues, and every MMO has some trope that someone doesn't like.  CO ran its course for me much faster than DCUO because DCUOs combat was more fun for me.  CoX had a better class structure, and more costume choices than DCUO but much less skill was involved in playing it.   Now DCUO has changed a lot,  but I have nostalgia for each game in their own way.  

I had a broadsword regen scrapper that was a lot of fun, and a peacebringer that I had a lot of fun playing too. In DCUO my dual pistols nature character was a ton of fun to play early on, but balancing of that line took the oomph out of it. 

In CO, I can tell you specific abilities I took, but aside from a few bosses I fought, it was largely forgettable.

MHO I was a content creator for, I have tons of guides on it, played it a ton, the only reason it was worthwhile was for the nostalgia effect of playing beloved characters (even though I was miffed that you couldn't create your own, which I why I shunned the PC version for years)

I played them all. I'd rather new superhero games with new features come forward than old games rehashed. What's the saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” So why do people want developers to create the same games and expect it to have any broader lasting appeal now?
    GladDogDabOnThem

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    DabOnThem said:
    What about Champions Online, Marvel Omega and DC Universe Online? Why do former City of Hero players tend to pass on these games, still hoping for that decent comic mmo? Why are you looking over these games hoping Ship of Heroes or City titans can fill your void? I want to know what went wrong with the current games in your opinion? Or past game in the case of Gazillion's mmo.
    I played CO at launch. It did some things well. Combat was pretty fun and the travel powers were really awesome (Teleport and Burrowing were really neat), but I hated the setting and aesthetic. It was too campy. Not a fan of the Silver/Bronze Age of comics.

Marvel Heroes I loved and played for years, but it was a deeply flawed game and it was mismanaged into catastrophe.  Great idea, frustrating execution.

DCUO, I'm not a huge fan of the DC Universe, and the game just felt kind of janky. I did enjoy the open world PvP at launch, though.  Being able to encase another player in a giant ball of ice and then toss him a couple blocks down the street was pretty hilarious. I found the customization lacking as well.

I'm not really looking forward to any of the successor titles coming out. If they're good, I'll play them, but I'm not hanging onto every development in hopes that one of them will fill the void. That's a good way to set myself up for disappointment.
    maskedweaselScotBlaze_RockerDabOnThem
  • crimedoggcrimedogg Member CommonPosts: 3
    Thanks for this thread!  I didn't realize some of these new projects existed.  Excitement growing!
    DabOnThem
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    City of Titans, Ship of Heroes, Valiance Online and a few others are in development. Missing World Media says CoT will have something playable in 2018 while SoH does have playable stuff with the devs if I am not mistaken. There are YouTube videos of devs running with guys like Positive Gamer.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    kitarad said:

Mastermind was, is the best, followed by the Squig Handler from Warhammer Online. CoX pet intelligence had a lot to do with that, indeed I have not seen the mob intelligence in CoX bettered in any MMO.
    DabOnThem said:
    City of Titans, Ship of Heroes, Valiance Online and a few others are in development. Missing World Media says CoT will have something playable in 2018 while SoH does have playable stuff with the devs if I am not mistaken. There are YouTube videos of devs running with guys like Positive Gamer.
    As far as we can tell, CoT is only releasing a character creator beta this year to the public. The game is somewhat in a "playable state" in the same way SoH is.  Valiance as you already know, also has a persistent playable alpha.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Rhoklaw said:
    Probably the easiest reason CoH / CoX was a far superior game was character creation. Costume design was through the roof. Also, missions scaled according to group size and level. So anyone and everyone could play however they wanted. Solo? no problem. Some friends? no problem. I also think their archetypes, power sets and combat were spot on.

Champions Online is a good game, but it wasn't nearly as customizable.

I'm not a fan of the DC Universe, nor action combat at that time, so never got into it.

Marvel was a flippin joke of a game. Isometric MMOs are a joke.

Will we see the like again? Such great character customisation means you have less to sell in the cash shop. I tried DCUO but it was second rate compared to CoX, Marvel I spent most of my time in the Avengers HQ talking about comics, comic films etc that was great and the best thing about it!
    [Deleted User]
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Rhoklaw said:
    Champions Online is a good game, but it wasn't nearly as customizable.
    I'm trying to find any hint of sarcasm there, but can't... but also you clearly didn't mean it for real.

That's one thing that Freeform blew out of the water the restricted archetypes/powersets of CoH, but since you said "Costume design was through the roof." let's ignore that comparison and focus only onto the looks.

Also ignore here the clear advantage on body types (all the bestial, robotic, demonic, etc. options, the missing limbs or head, the ghost forms, the much wider height options, etc.) to give at least a slight chance to CoH... even if all the costumes are applied to all body types and forms - with some clipping issues occasionally at newly added costumes, which they fix fairly soon after - while in CoH for example the animal pieces were costumes themselves, so no other outfit on them.

So, let's put all those aside ( :sunglasses: ). Just costumes. I don't remember how many costume sets (and individual costume pieces beyond that) were available in CoH... CO has hundreds of individual pieces and dozens of costume sets. Can't tell if it's more or not by the numbers alone, but obviously more flexible in use.

As said above in an earlier post, I believe both games had their pros and cons compared to each other. Character building was definitely CO's strength, lots of players switched over from CoH just for Freeform and the costume contests. Game also has still to this day the mock name of CO = Costumes Online.
    "Wasn't nearly as customizable"... sure. Lol.
    DabOnThem
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    DCUO was bad.. then it became better.. only to become really bad and is now creeping back to just about OK. 

It is crazy top heavy tho. And not really worth the time. 

Champions... *shakes head* Stillborn and then frankensteined. 

Marvel Heroes was an OK diablo clone. But it also lacked a proper end game. 

The two CoH clones... Well.. I wish them the best of luck but i have no intention of ever playing them. I left CoH the first time around GR and then only came back once it went F2P to faff about a bit. The game got stale. 

Not sure that the super hero genre really works for a MMORpg. 
    Blaze_RockerDabOnThem

This have been a good conversation

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1210935/champions-online-is-now-the-longest-running-superhero-mmo

I've always moved towards CO for my superhero fix. It is great the game is still going because I have quite a few cool creations over there. How it is still going is beyond my understanding.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I never have found a superhero MMO that I enjoyed, not even CoH unfortunately...i guess I am more of a fantasy person than superhero.
    AlBQuirky
    DabOnThem said:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1210935/champions-online-is-now-the-longest-running-superhero-mmo

I've always moved towards CO for my superhero fix. It is great the game is still going because I have quite a few cool creations over there. How it is still going is beyond my understanding.
    I think it's all on PWE, and what they have in their wheelhouse at this moment. A lot of their games seem to be showing their age, but as far as I can tell they don't have a ton to replace them with at the moment. 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited April 2018
    DabOnThem said:

I have the best character on my CO account. His name is "SuperSpecialGuy" He is a obese balding 40 something , My costumes are a faux Batman, Superman, and a flasher naked trenchcoat only version of roershack from watchman( suprise i never got reported for this one you cant see his junk just a mess of pubes its hilarious), Im thinking about redownloading the game just to post pictures on here lol
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    DabOnThem said:

Probably because it isn't owned by NCsoft ... and I'm guessing it has better management that actually cares about the image of the studio.

Just my opinion.

AlBQuirkyDabOnThem

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

Someone is attempting to bring back the entire game. I forgot what they call themselves but the tool is similar to paragon chat or whatever you call it, but players will be able to engage in combat while doing  missions.

The census here seems to be that CoH was the best, while the other three are just fighting for scraps. I assume most feel DCUO is the best of the other three, due to the combat and heroes stories, correct?
    DabOnThem said:
    Someone is attempting to bring back the entire game. I forgot what they call themselves but the tool is similar to paragon chat or whatever you call it, but players will be able to engage in combat while doing  missions.

The census here seems to be that CoH was the best, while the other three are just fighting for scraps. I assume most feel DCUO is the best of the other three, due to the combat and heroes stories, correct?
    Unfortunately it's all a matter of taste.  I still feel DCUO is better than CO, and it took the place of CoH for me, but even with everything CoH did right, by todays standards it's a very dated game.

But I don't play DCUO either.  I played Marvel Heroes Omega on the PS4 a lot more despite its lack of end game simply getting all of the characters ready for an end game that never came.

I don't know if or when we'll see a new hero MMO, and even if we do, many of us are divided on what we liked and disliked about the games on the past and current market. 

I think most of us at least started with CoH, but with that being said, there are things I want to see them implement, but in no way do I want CoH back exactly. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I don't think it's "bringing back the game", you probably mean the SaveCoH project which is going on since the cancel, where if you still have the original client you can play with the character creator and then walking around in the empty world. I'm pretty sure that won't advance from there, because they don't have the server code, and building one from scratch around a client seem like a challenging thing to do...

As for the census, I cast the minority opinion there :wink: for me CoH wasn't the best (it was on par with CO, none of them were better than the other), and DCUO is not the best from the other three (CO is).
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    DabOnThem said:

DabOnThem seems to be referring to the SEGS Project that is working to allow people to create private servers for playing City of Heroes once again. Here's a discussion thread from the Ship of Heroes forum. https://www.shipofheroes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1546#p13185

The Project's work is still in the early stages from what I hear so I'm not following it at this time. I'm not going to read everything just to spit it back at you so you'll just have to read and look into it all on your own.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I wish ppl would stop pining for CoH.  It's gone... along with vanguard.... SWG.  They're gone!!!  The longer you can't let go, the longer it takes to find something new because you're stuck in the past.

I think people only miss CoH/CoV because its gone. It was kind of dieing at the end and lost popularity. If it was still around few would be playing it hardcore beyond a few dedicated players. Sadley as much as I loved swg i can say the same about that game. I think a clone or remake of either could be good though.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter